• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2020 GOTY Revisited, would Cyberpunk 2077 in its current state win against TLOU Part II?

In their current states, which is the better game?

• Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 52 43.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brenobnfm

So the year is 2020, The Last of Us Part II basically swept the GOTY season and ran away with it with basically no competition, but even so, the game is highly divisive and there's a huge percentage of people that played and doesn't even consider it a good game.

Then we have Cyberpunk 2077, probably the most expected release of that year, delayed several times and released in december, basically unfinished, with garbage console versions, it flopped hard but still managed to win a significant amount of awards.

Question is: in their current states, which is the better game?

Last edited:

Puscifer

Animated GIF

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Honestly, hard to say. TLOUII is one of the most divisive games in recent memory and I feel a certain crowd was campaigning hard for it to win. Not saying it wasn't deserving (I didn't really play it) but those people gave it a huge boost in terms of GOTY awards apparently. Publications sprung up magically in the year it was released to award it GOTY, only to never be seen again.

Going to go with a yes. The massive controversy regarding Cyberpunk wouldn't have occurred and hype alone would have carried it to first place.

Last edited:

Eliciel

TLOU II won for all the different reasons. It didn't win due to a patch-state, it won due to a mind state. It was GOTY with highly any relevant eye-to-eye contestant for what it actually did, period.

Last edited:
Tlou 2.
It shit on cp 2077 almost everything except graphic.
Everytime i saw tlou 2 thread and i know how it's gonna be lol.

Last edited:

ungalo

Did it win a lot of awards ? I don't remember it really did, just that it sold well considering the situation.

I think in the eyes of the media TLOU 2 would still win, for me it's a no brainer i love Cyberpunk and don't care about TLOU 2.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
For 2020 my GOTY was 13 Sentinels, thats still hasn't changed.
Ah, a man of culture.

13 sentinels still would’ve been my GOTY too. Between CP2077 and last of us 2 though it’s definitely cp2077 now. Shit even launch cp2077 was a better use of my time because the second half of last of us 2 was total dog shit.

Bkdk

Way preferred CP2077 even at launch, but then many games that year would beat out that TLOU2 mess.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I did not like The Last of Us 2. Wayyy too divisive and depressing. 2020 was very depressing with all the lockdown at that time and that was NOT what the world needed.

My favorite game of 2020 was actually AC:Valhalla and Demons Souls: Remake.

MiguelItUp

I personally felt TLOU II was extremely overrated. Loved the rope physics though!

Definitely feel like CP2077 is much more impressive (especially in its current form) and more deserving.

Solidus_T

The Last of Us II is so good, that Resident Evil 4 Remake took features straight from it. The game that was inspired partly by RE4 inspiring aspects of the RE4 Remake is a big deal. I still think it's the best when it comes to third person shooters.

Bartski

Gold Member
No.

I played some of the last CP update and it's a blast, but nowhere near being the best game in its genre.

Lupin25

TLOU II is on a different level with mechanics and gameplay. The level of detail is immaculate, the great enemy types and it’s a still PS4 game.

You’d be comparing a game that needed a next-gen patch just to compete with it.

Imagine what ND could’ve done in a TLOU universe had it been NG only.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No, TLOU2 still wins for its vastly superior story and gameplay. Cyberpunk is polished NOW but that doesn't fix the other issues with the game such us uninspiring side quest and a middling main quest. Poll here is more a reflection of "muscle lady bad."

Lesbian Golf?

stn

I liked TLOU2 but would have picked maybe Ghost of Tsushima, or CP2077 over it. Or maybe there are some other games that released that I forgot about.

Yoboman

If we are accounting for 3 years of patching and updates to give a retrospective GOTY then that actual 2020 GOTY is Baldur's Gate 3

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
TLOU 2 is in a completely different league. It swept GOTY awards then and would do the same thing even against the super saiyan version of cp2077

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck no. Tlou 2 opinions are hugely devided.

Watching abby fucking joel with a golf club

And getting fucked herself several hours later was a mindrush.

Everyone mostly hater cyberpunk
And they did a full 180 after patch 2.0 + dlc.

Yes the game is worth it.. but TLOU2 wins

Guilty_AI

CP 2077 is better, but for 2020 there are games i'd put in front of both honestly.

I mean, look at what else released that year:
Half Life Alyx
Black Mesa
Deep Rock Galactic
Hades
Risk of Rain 2
Factorio
Yakuza Like a Dragon
Doom Eternal

Last edited:

Raven117

Nah, TLOU2. That’s just the kind of stuff that wins all the awards.

That said, I like current cyberpunk more than TLOU2… but a lot.

Yoboman

I was referring to the online vote
I assume you mean the Game Awards which has been plagued by bot votes and vote stuffing every single year? Ghost of Tsushima sits alongside illustrious winners of that award including

2019 - Fire Emblem Four Houses (over Sekiro)
2021 - Halo Infinite
2022 - Genshin Impact (over Elden Ring and Ragnarok)

2022 in particular is my favourite

TLOU2 won fan votes across various sites 68 times. Tsushima won the one where everybody was hate voting against TLOU2

ebevan91

2077 was definitely my GOTY that year (PC) but it was actually not eligible for GOTY 2020 since it released after the cutoff date. Now, in 2021 it would've been eligible but it wasn't even a nominee and quite understandibly so based on how awful the last gen console versions were.

And also I really enjoyed TLOU: Part 2 so I think it deserved it that year.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I assume you mean the Game Awards which has been plagued by bot votes and vote stuffing every single year? Ghost of Tsushima sits alongside illustrious winners of that award including

2019 - Fire Emblem Four Houses (over Sekiro)
2021 - Halo Infinite
2022 - Genshin Impact (over Elden Ring and Ragnarok)

2022 in particular is my favourite

TLOU2 won fan votes across various sites 68 times. Tsushima won the one where everybody was hate voting against TLOU2
Whew glad we got one legit winner though those bots seemed to go to town for TLOU2 that year

Senua

Cyberpunk was better then lol, TLoU2 was a technical masterpiece and had great gameplay, but the characters and story were utterly depressing and shite

Meanwhile, the real GOTY 2020 was robbed of its well-deserved title
202091419243023_1.jpg

For what it's worth, I really liked TLOU part II, but this game entered my top 10 GOAT and you need to play it if you haven't already, for some reason.

DpQ9YJl.jpg

If we're talking about The Game Awards event, it would have competed until 2021 against games like Deathloop, Psychonauts 2, RE Village, Ratchet and Clank, It Takes Two and Metroid Dread so... honestly? I think it would've easily won there.
But in 2020 against The Last of Us 2? I don't think so, but it would've been a close competition we can be sure of that.

EDMIX

Easy.

The Last Of Us II.

Even in its current state, CP2077 is still missing tons of elements promised and literally changed genres....

The Last Of Us 2, Ghost Of Tsushima, Hades and many more 2020 releases, released with complete concepts.

Though I have not played it since 2020, I'd see my score changing from 5 or a 6 to maybe an 8/10. Corrected bugs, added Ai like bad guys driving cars, added vehicle combat, but still missing the train system, RPG elements that seem like they will never return at this point, car customization etc.

Consider, what I'm even saying is the base of most open world games, Saint's Row Reboot literally failed with more working features and functions.

So can I give Watchdogs GOTY cause it has a train station, working Ai that can drive vehicles and ohhhhh you can hack cars to disable them etc? Not really, yet we are suggesting the game lacking some of this and struggling for 3 years to even meet the base features from a 2013 game, as a GOTY type concept.

Using this fucking logic, Watchdogs 2 and 3 should be getting that award lol

Substance over graphics. I get many like how the game looks, but gaming is about what you do, not merely how good looking a game is, as I find many trying to ignore the game's obvious struggles and trying to exaggerate old features. They are essentially chasing Ubisoft in regards to functional features and at Ubisoft's BEST, they are not taking GOTY from some of these titles, so how the fuck would a game literally lacking some of these fundamental core elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom