• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Users Vote The Last Of Us Part II as Best Game Of The Year - **It Wasnt Even Close**

ZehDon

Oh look someone who is spreading false information again. I like how you ignored the fact that TLOU2 has still been in the top sales charts as recently as the November ones. THAT is why it is still among the best selling games of the year. Anthem dropped out of them entirely and never came back. Your statement about it's second week drop is based on the UK only where pretty much every game has a similar drop. Ghost of Tsushima also hasn't broken any record set by TLOU2. Your linked article is from November and is talking about Ghost's total sales. It didn't break the 4+ million in one week that TLOU2 set. All Ghost did was become the fastest selling new IP on PS4 for Sony which means it sold more than the 2 million that Horizon Zero Dawn did at launch. Expected given the bigger install base 3 years later. So yeah TLOU2 has done just fine in sales don't worry your stupid little head over it.
Oh boy, ruffled some feathers did I?

I didn't ignore the TLOU2 charting. TLOU2's monthly sales position is irrelevant to my post. I highlighted that a game can make the best selling games of the year list despite it not charting, if it has a strong opening week or two. This was in response to your post, which said "...it ended the year as one of the best selling games of 2020. It didn't do that based on the first week or two of sales alone...". In fact, it's entirely possible that the first two weeks alone guaranteed its position on the list. Learn to read.
The article I linked regarding the drop highlights that regions other than the UK are reporting similar drops for the TLOU2, and it also highlights that your statement "... where pretty much every game has a similar drop..." is also wrong. TLOU2 experienced an 80% drop in week-to-week sales, while Days Gone had a 35% drop, and God of War had a 60% drop. The article concludes with: "... With the divisive nature of The Last of Us 2, it is expected that the sales of the game will be dipping down further in the coming weeks"
You're correct about the fastest selling PS4 exclusive record, though. I mis-read and had thought GoT had broken that record, when in fact it had broken the fastest selling exclusive new IP on PS4 record. I'll be sure to read more carefully in the future.

As for you personal attack, you'd do better not to personify yourself through a title. TLOUII isn't anything particularly important - it's just a game. It amuses me that people - fans or detractors - are so invested in its success or failure on a personal level.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Actually, it probably did. In 2019, Anthem launched in February, and was a complete and utter disaster. It failed to meet EA's sales projections, was mocked for low sales numbers, and was dropped by everyone who played it. And yet, it still placed in the top 10 "best selling games of the year", despite a lack of complete digital sales data. It did it mostly on its opening two weeks, before word of mouth killed it. TLOUII launched to record-setting numbers in June of 2020, but dropped hard in its second week. It's been quiet on the sales numbers front - despite Sony being happy to talk about Ghost of Tsushima's sales, which broke the records TLOUII set when it launched. With nothing further to go on, it looks like TLOUII didn't have the same legs as other Sony games, like TLOUR, U4 or GOW.
I don't know why people use second week sales drop as proof that a game has sold poorly.

A big second week drop is very common.

It dropped faster than several top PS4 exclusive titles, but it has been selling good over the past few months.

I don't know why people use second week sales drop as proof that a game has sold poorly.

A big second week drop is very common.

It dropped faster than several top PS4 exclusive titles, but it has been selling good over the past few months.
Yup. Haters cling to anything though. The game was in the top NPD in the US in July too so if it's sales plummeted after the first week then how was that possible? And as I told that person the game has been appearing on sales charts throughout the year including in November which is one of the busiest months. The game has continued to sell just fine and will continue to do so moving forward.

ZehDon

... The Last of Us Part II was review bombed for the sole purpose of giving the game a bad score. There was no way over 10K people played the game at 12:01 AM...

... If the user reviews reflected people opinions, then why didn't they return to vote for games other than The Last of Us Part II?...
Well, your logic also works in reverse: if the user reviews aren't reflective of people's organic opinion sharing, why did so many more people turn out to vote in this end of year list compared to last years list?
I think perhaps my point wasn't clear, and that's probably on me. I'll try again: If the abnormal number of people down-voting TLOUII is evidence of coordinated action, isn't the abnormal number of people up-voting TLOUII therefore also evidence of coordinated action? If one is dismissed only on the basis of abnormal votes, why not the other?
What I'm seeing is positive bias; people dismissing abnormally large numbers of down votes on the basis of the abnormal number, while believing the abnormal number of up votes to be legitimate because they want it to be.
I don't agree with that bias; I think it's possible that fans of the game organised to inflate TLOUII's end of year numbers, just the same as the haters organised to decrease its numbers at launch. As you explained quite well, the haters got bored and moved on - showing they aren't real opinions being shared organically, but coordinated action. But, this actually highlights that fans potentially organised to inflate its up votes for the end of year list... they just weren't counteracted, because the haters were off storming the American Capitol, or something. The resulting 500% increase in Metacritic's end of year users, where every single new user all voted for just one game, doesn't seem strange to you? Because I'm not buying that one, sorry.
This doesn't make any sense.

Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro two of the most popular games last year, but they're far less popular than games like The Last of Us Part II. This means you're likely going to get more votes from one of the best selling games of the generation versus a game that sold 3-6 million copies within a year.
Fair point. Resident Evil 2 sold a little over TLOUII's last confirmed sales numbers, around 5 million in that year. Of course, it launched in January as opposed to TLOUII's June, so TLOUII clearly sold dramatically faster - it set a record for that, in fact. So, let's presume TLOUII posted 6 million total sales in 2020 - a million more than Resident Evil 2. It's actually probably more, but we can't know for certain until Sony updates its numbers, so I'll be a little conservative here in making my point.
If the total number of users interacting with Metacritic's end of year legitimately increased by 500%, but the total number of players for the top voted game increased by only 20% from last year, shouldn't we have seen a somewhat more evenly spread increase of votes across the other pole positions? If you subtract TLOUII's numbers, the end of year list's user numbers actually align pretty closely to last year's numbers. Of the 500% increase in users, you want me to believe that virtually all of them signed up to vote in Metacritic's end of year list, all voted for just one game, and every single one of those users did so organically without any form of organisation? Because you have to admit - that's pretty unlikely, no?

Last edited:
virtually all of them signed up to vote in Metacritic's end of year list, all voted for just one game, and every single one of those users did so organically without any form of organisation? Because you have to admit - that's pretty unlikely, no?
You didn't have to "sign up" to vote in it. You just had to visit the page and pick the game you wanted. You could also only vote for one game. I never went to any place online over the past few weeks and saw posts asking people to go to Metacritic to vote for it. You know what I did see around The Game Awards time? Places like the TLOU2 reddit full of posts telling people to vote for Ghost so TLOU2 wouldn't win. 4chan with tons of posts telling people to do the same thing. Youtubers who hated TLOU2 telling their audience to do the same thing. Can't say I've seen any of that for people to go to MC to vote TLOU2 in this one poll.

ZehDon

You didn't have to "sign up" to vote in it. You just had to visit the page and pick the game you wanted. You could also only vote for one game. I never went to any place online over the past few weeks and saw posts asking people to go to Metacritic to vote for it. You know what I did see around The Game Awards time? Places like the TLOU2 reddit full of posts telling people to vote for Ghost so TLOU2 wouldn't win. 4chan with tons of posts telling people to do the same thing. Youtubers who hated TLOU2 telling their audience to do the same thing. Can't say I've seen any of that for people to go to MC to vote TLOU2 in this one poll.
Not sure what your point is, to be frank. To this day, I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever asking anyone else to vote for, or against, any game on Metacritic. The best I can recall is IGN telling its user to go and watch The Dark Knight again so it could beat Titanic to the top spot at the box office (favourite line from that article: "... that's why it must be defeated as the top-grossing domestic movie ever. It simply cannot stand!..."). That was quite a few years ago, now. So, if I haven't seen that type of vote manipulation happening, it must mean that it's never happened, right? Because that's obviously not the case - and this is why anecdotes don't really matter.
The numbers tell me people organised to down vote TLOUII on Metacritic. But, those numbers also suggest that people organised to up vote it, too. That's just the reality of the situation.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's not my personal pick, as GOTY, but it's a really good fucking game.

Technically incredible, edgy and polished. Congratulations ND, you deserve it.

Lupingosei

Banned
Incredible amazing game, everybody loves it!

Only one thing is a bit strange

US:
Last of Us 2: 29 $

Ghost of Tsushima: 49 $

UK:
Last of Us 2: 35 £

Ghost of Tsushima: 49£

Japan:
Last of Us 2: 2'306 Yen

Ghost of Tsushima: 6987 Yen

Also according to GameStats it has less new players each month than the first game and older games like Spiderman or God of War also grow faster.

Sony doesn't usually put out regular sales updates like Nintendo does. Dumbasses like you who think the game stopped selling after the first two weeks clearly haven't paid attention. It has still been appearing on sales charts as recent as last month and it ended the year as one of the best selling games of 2020. It didn't do that based on the first week or two of sales alone. You really can't teach stupid.
Since you're so ill informed, or a dumbass, as you would put it, I will educate you. Sony has been updating the sales numbers on many of their first party games throughout the gen, especially when they have performed well against expectations. In fact, it has been doing it much more regularly in the past 3 years or so.

Killzone:SF (announced it sold 2.1M after 4 months), Bloodborne (announced it sold 1M after a month, and then 2M after 6 months), GT:Sport (announced it sold 3.3M after 6 1/2 months), God of War (announced it sold 5M after one month), Spider-Man (announced it sold 9M after two months), and more recently GoT (announced it sold 5M after 3 months.) Yet funnily enough, arguably their most hyped first party release this gen, which was the follow up to one of their most successful games on PS3, has not had a sales update since launch, almost 7 months ago. Keep in mind that GoT, which launched after TLOU2, has already had an update to sales.

Looking at Amazon sales for Nov and Dec, GoT beat it handedly with a $20 discount on BF week, and went back up to $50. TLOU2, on the other hand, has been marked off 50% since BF.

Brigandier

I found it to be quite a boring story and was too long, It completely overstayed it's welcome imo.

It puzzles me why this game took so long to develop and release, Sure it's incredibly detailed and has high production values but it wasn't a patch on the original.

FF7r, Doom and Half Life were immeasurably better, TLOU2 defense force are insufferable aswell it's incredibly obnoxious to hear/see the whining and insults when someone says they don't like it.

It's a 6 maybe a 7 outta 10 at a push for me.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So TLOU2 defenders say that most of the negative ratings on metacritic were review bombs but all 10/10 ratings were legitimate? Please.
I am happy for you if you enjoyed the game. But many people didn’t. Yes metacritic is known for review bombs, but not only negative ones mind you.
Now 10k people who enjoyed the game came back to vote for it, thats good, enjoy.
But please dont tell me that only people on the opposing side of the spectrum have an agenda, when on the other there is the clear
”woke game must win to show them” mentality.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
So TLOU2 defenders say that most of the negative ratings on metacritic were review bombs but all 10/10 ratings were legitimate? Please.
I am happy for you if you enjoyed the game. But many people didn’t. Yes metacritic is known for review bombs, but not only negative ones mind you.
Now 10k people who enjoyed the game came back to vote for it, thats good, enjoy.
But please dont tell me that only people on the opposing side of the spectrum have an agenda, when on the other there is the clear
Yes review inflating exists, we saw that with Ghost of Tsushima big-time - that could be a psychological case study perhaps.

Perhaps people need to stop taking metacritic user ratings so seriously and maybe find a way for user reviews for verified purchases like on PSN store or something. Point is though at the end of the day it's quite funny how many user awards, completions, and sales tlou2 got when all i heard for months on it was "they destroyed muhhh franchise cuckmann!!!" blah blah save it.

It's over. The game was a success. The HBO show is happening. Multiplayer is happening. Part 3 will happen by the end of 2030. TLOU is a strong franchise!

Last edited:
Isn't it proof enough that whenever TLou2 is brought up in any conversation, there's always criticism? That there is a litany of YouTube, twitch gamers who have posted lengthy critiques? Are there grifters who are focused on only on perceived social justice ideals? Sure but that goes both ways with the majority of games journalist sites giving TLou2 goty based on what criteria?

Gameplay and story? Gameplay was average for a 3rd person action game and the story (regardless of content) hadn't progressed past cutscenes. How is that not a shitty bar for a videogame to clear? If emulating film but worse is all it takes to impress critics then what's the point?

I think some of you need to be able to separate the grifters from the legitimate criticisms that the game has, in the same way idiots are just focused on Abby, you're no better if that is the entirely of the conversation which is living rent free in your mind. This discourse really comes off as Last Jedi.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What is the standard TLoU2 has to meet or beat in order to be called successful?

I am not a fan of how Druckman and some others handled the fanbase and God knows if I like the “shock and awe” way of subverting expectations as a plot device (and for subverting expectations’ sake)... but it is more and more seeming like this game cannot be acknowledged as a success because it would ruin the nice sound bite / slogan “get woke / go broke” or similar (with the irony that TLoU2 is not as woke and politics centred as people say, go watch Sabrina’s student body council election pitch in Season 4 on Netflix and we can talk).

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
What is the standard TLoU2 has to meet or beat in order to be called successful?
Counter question: can a game with so much negative publicity be truly successful?
Many people liked it, many didn’t. It sold well enough i guess and got some awards. So it was successful on one hand, but on the other so many people were disappointed.
I think it depends on who you ask, like so many things.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The standard of one of the most anticipated sequels of one of the most acclaimed games ever.

I think it's fair to say that the game didn't met the expectations. It sold well, it has a lot of fans, but also has a lot of detractors and clearly created a divide among the fandom.

mxbison

Excellent game. People missing out on some of the best combat gameplay in the genre because they are so upset by.....well not really sure by what.

Geki-D

Banned
Counter question: can a game with so much negative publicity be truly successful?
Many people liked it, many didn’t. It sold well enough i guess and got some awards. So it was successful on one hand, but on the other so many people were disappointed.
Except one can be shown through the number of rewards, both given by professionals & readers choice and by sales figures.

The other can only be shown through... angry nerd rage forum posts on a few sites...

If you think these are equal to one another, you probably also think 50% of the world thinks the Earth is a globe and the other 50% think it's flat because I can show you a whole load of sites and YT videos that claim so.

Woggleman

Many successful things that are now considered classics were controversial and polarizing when they were released. This idea that only safe things that don't rock any boats should get accolades is absurd.

Yoboman

Incredible amazing game, everybody loves it!

Only one thing is a bit strange

US:
Last of Us 2: 29 $

Ghost of Tsushima: 49 $

UK:
Last of Us 2: 35 £

Ghost of Tsushima: 49£

Japan:
Last of Us 2: 2'306 Yen

Ghost of Tsushima: 6987 Yen

Also according to GameStats it has less new players each month than the first game and older games like Spiderman or God of War also grow faster.
Ghost of Tsushima had massive discounts last month, I bought it at half price

Lupingosei

Banned
Many successful things that are now considered classics were controversial and polarizing when they were released. This idea that only safe things that don't rock any boats should get accolades is absurd.

When was the first one this controversial? Was Star Wars controversial, what was controversial but is now seen as a classic?

Jon Neu

Banned

Those "things" were controversial because they had new and risky ways of portraying art.

TLOU2 is polarizing because the script is amateurish at best and the director of the game has gone out of his way to shove his moralizing politics in it as a propaganda vehicle. That's obviously nothing risky neither new, in fact in this era that's the total opposite of risky and new. Everybody in the establishment were doing the same already.

Woggleman

When was the first one this controversial? Was Star Wars controversial, what was controversial but is now seen as a classic?
The first one was released in 2013 which might as well have been another century before the culture wars really heated up. There were many moves like Clockwork Orange that are now considered classics but were actually banned in other countries.

Yoboman

Somebody already explained how GoT got discounted and got back up again while Last of Us 2 did not.
TLOU2 was above Ghost of Tsushima at the end of last year, at least in the UK and Germany where we actually get sales charts that can show this

Excuse the Ree links:

week 53

Week 52

Week 51

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Except one can be shown through the number of rewards, both given by professionals & readers choice and by sales figures.

The other can only be shown through... angry nerd rage forum posts on a few sites...

If you think these are equal to one another, you probably also think 50% of the world thinks the Earth is a globe and the other 50% think it's flat because I can show you a whole load of sites and YT videos that claim so.

Angry nerd rage. This coming from the angry nerd who called people bigots because they didn’t like the game at the drop of a hat so often he got a bloody title for it.

Is that 10k votes? I thought Metacritic had some reach but 10k is a tiny number is it not?

Anyhow the great thing with gaming is that there is something for pretty much everyone. I personally find Naughty Dog games a slog and I'm not sure I've finished any of them other than TLOU but I accept wholeheartedly that a lot of the stuff I play (Crusader Kings 3 and Satisfactory atm) would bore the average gamer to tears.

Geki-D

Banned
Angry nerd rage. This coming from the angry nerd who called people bigots because they didn’t like the game at the drop of a hat so often he got a bloody title for it.
lol You didn't actually counter anything I said (because you can't), but please, cry more nerd. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yup. Haters cling to anything though. The game was in the top NPD in the US in July too so if it's sales plummeted after the first week then how was that possible? And as I told that person the game has been appearing on sales charts throughout the year including in November which is one of the busiest months. The game has continued to sell just fine and will continue to do so moving forward.
They were celebrating that a 4 year old game in Mario Kart was beating The Last of Us Part II in sales. They believe this was proof it was a disaster..

They didn't realize that several of those old Nintendo games were some of the best selling games of the year. They went completely silent when it also beat GoT on the charts.

thelastword

Banned
Best game this gen by far.......I guess all the fake user review bombing at release, by people who did not play, were too tired to bomb the GOTY votes, LOU2 is winning GOTY by a landslide...I think more than anything, LOU2 will be remembered for the boundaries it pushed, the fact that it did not stick to the same tired formula for story or continuity of story in games...It should win many GOTG awards as well...

Kamina

Golden Boy

Reviewers are only people with opinions. And the fact that the so called professional choice is heavly leaning toward certain agenda in the past years doesn’t make their opinion any more valuable than any random blogger’s or youtuber’s.
The fact that so many defenders are so blatantly dismissing the opinions against as “nerd rage“ and “haters“ speaks volumes.
The world isn’t just made of two heavily opposing perspectives you know. In fact most people hold very balanced or tempered opinions of things. There are plenty people who simply just didn’t like the game, and many that thought it was just good.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The standard of one of the most anticipated sequels of one of the most acclaimed games ever.

I think it's fair to say that the game didn't met the expectations. It sold well, it has a lot of fans, but also has a lot of detractors and clearly created a divide among the fandom.
Ah, let’s see with TLoU3 when it is announced then. I think the comparisons are unfair if that is the standard though. Having detractors and a (I think over exaggerated by the detractors) divide in the fanbase is also something neither here nor there.

It is still one of the most acclaimed games ever and something tells me that as soon as the first teatime trailer for part III comes out it will be very anticipated. Seeing the detractors, some of them being platform warriors too, shouting SJW wokeisms against that does not mean the quality of the game is not there.

Something both SJW and anti-SJW people need to understand is that just accusing the other side of fascism/white supremacy/bigotry or woke/identity politics/communism/cucks does not preemptively prove the quality of a game or lack thereof. So the “oh look at people being angry at it, it must not be good, failure!!!” accusation means little in and of itself.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Well, your logic also works in reverse: if the user reviews aren't reflective of people's organic opinion sharing, why did so many more people turn out to vote in this end of year list compared to last years list?
I think perhaps my point wasn't clear, and that's probably on me. I'll try again: If the abnormal number of people down-voting TLOUII is evidence of coordinated action, isn't the abnormal number of people up-voting TLOUII therefore also evidence of coordinated action? If one is dismissed only on the basis of abnormal votes, why not the other?
What I'm seeing is positive bias; people dismissing abnormally large numbers of down votes on the basis of the abnormal number, while believing the abnormal number of up votes to be legitimate because they want it to be.

The user score is tainted on MC. Within that one two week time frame, there was a good amount of negative and positive under the MC user score section. Haters wanted to vote negatively to give the game a low score and fans wanted give the game a positive review to improve the user score.

But there's a difference between the two sides: It's unlikely that the ones who posted negative reviews are actually going to purchase. It's almost guaranteed that those who voted positively are going buy the game. So, where are the people who posted negative reviews? People are saying over 100k reviews were deleted and I'm sure it would have been enough to make sure another game won GOTY. Based on this fact alone, we can easily conclude that most of the people who gave TLOU Part II a negative review were there just to review bomb the game. That was their main purpose.

The reason why positive reviews months later hold more weight than the negative ones early on is because they played the game.

I don't agree with that bias; I think it's possible that fans of the game organised to inflate TLOUII's end of year numbers, just the same as the haters organised to decrease its numbers at launch. As you explained quite well, the haters got bored and moved on - showing they aren't real opinions being shared organically, but coordinated action. But, this actually highlights that fans potentially organised to inflate its up votes for the end of year list... they just weren't counteracted, because the haters were off storming the American Capitol, or something. The resulting 500% increase in Metacritic's end of year users, where every single new user all voted for just one game, doesn't seem strange to you? Because I'm not buying that one, sorry.

The Last of Us Part II has won the vast majority of reader\player choice awards from around the world. So based on your logic, the same fans organized a plan to make sure the Last of Us Part II won these awards.

..........or maybe is not an organized attack, and it's people's game of the year.

I don't see fans across the web making sure The Last of Us Part II won a MC game of the year award. What I did see are YouTubers showing off the negative TLOU 2 user score, which directed people to post one on the MC website.

I think it's time for people to say that people legitimately like this game and the haters were just a small minority.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, as the game quality is there, many people bought it and if Sony is smart they will get more and more people to play it with a nice PS5 patch, offers, and adding the game to PS+ one day.

I know the game is not perfect and some things did upset players (and Druckman reacted a bit like an asshole about it too), so I get some disappointment also about the fate of some characters. The game is not badly made and gameplay, acting, atmosphere, and general story were not bad at all.

I do realise to some people that see this as a just as politics fight the thought of this game not failing is seen as losing a war so I do expect them to be especially bitter. Those people are the ones calling the creative director Cuckman or spending most of the time exaggerating the game as a SJW champion of the most extreme degree.

Some people were disappointed by a plot point but I suspect as time goes by they will remember the rest of the journey and seek to see where it goes next. Some others were disappointed and will be lost to it, but some of these people were casual fans dipping in and out and they may try again if there is enough hype good word of mouth.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Some people were disappointed by a plot point but I suspect as time goes by they will remember the rest of the journey and seek to see where it goes next. Some others were disappointed and will be lost to it, but some of these people were casual fans dipping in and out and they may try again if there is enough hype good word of mouth.
I agree, the game looks stunning and seems to play nicely. I could care less if Ellie is lesbian or not, or if there is a trans character appearing.
What turned me off was simply a few important plot points that soured the story for me. But that doesnt make the whole experience bad, or “trash”. ( i hate that these days everything that isnt good enough to some people is automatically labeled “shit”)

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Don't remember Neil saying many people who loved the first game were going to hate the second game?

He wanted the game to be divisive. What he didn't expect is that a large amount of grown men would act like a bunch of children.
Reviewers are only people with opinions. And the fact that the so called professional choice is heavly leaning toward certain agenda in the past years doesn’t make their opinion any more valuable than any random blogger’s or youtuber’s.
The fact that so many defenders are so blatantly dismissing the opinions against as “nerd rage“ and “haters“ speaks volumes.
The world isn’t just made of two heavily opposing perspectives you know. In fact most people hold very balanced or tempered opinions of things. There are plenty people who simply just didn’t like the game, and many that thought it was just good.

Critic choice awards, player choice awards ect. are all opinions and nothing more.

People aren't dismissing the fact that people don't like the game. What we're dismissing are the bullshit people come up with.

"The game won GOTY because it's woke"
"They only gave the game such a high score because they were paid off by Sony."
"Neil Duckmann killed off Joel because of SJW politics."

You claim people are dismissing other people's opinions when haters are doing nothing but discrediting every single award The Last of Us Part II wins.

You're even alluding to this in your post.
so called professional choice is heavly leaning toward certain agenda

You can't on one hand accuse others or dissing other people's opinions when you're trying to discredit ones made by others.

Here are the facts: The game isn't receiving universal praise because the game is "woke". They simply think the game is good or one of the favorite games of this year. The fan votes aren't rigged. They're opinions by gamers and nothing more. It's only used by fans to show that the the majority of gamers don't hate this game, a narrative that was used last year.

Kamina

Golden Boy
You can't on one hand accuse others or dissing other people's opinions when you're trying to discredit ones made by others.

Here are the facts: The game isn't receiving universal praise because the game is "woke". They simply think the game is good or one of the favorite games of this year. The fan votes aren't rigged. They're opinions by gamers and nothing more. It's only used by fans to show that the the majority of gamers don't hate this game, a narrative that was used last year.
I am not dissing anyones opinion. But I am calling out that people give certain institutions too much merit.
We also know for fact that certain game jornalists have agenda, as seen in many other review. Ignoring that is ultimately stating that they were neutral when reviewing TLOU2, which just isnt true. And seeing how much hate the game recieved (much of which was unjust) you cant deny that some went ahead and fought back by giving a GotY rating.
And there are certainly more that enough people who seem to have a strangely obsessive hateboner for this game.

I am very certain that the majority arent hating the game. I think the majority either liked it or disliked it. Only very few ”loved” or ”hated” it.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
And the fact that the so called professional choice is heavly leaning toward certain agenda
Saying dumb shit like this just shows you're a political zealot and not much else. This is tin-foil hat levels of nonsense.

The game won 65 reader choice awards, as in VOTED BY GAMERS. The game sits, year to date in the US as the 5th best selling game as of the last reported NPD report in November:
npd-nov-2020-ytd.jpg

But hey, maybe they're all in on the "agenda", the evil SJWs using mind control to make people -non professional game reviewer people- buy the game and consistently vote for it.

The only thing it speaks to is that a bunch of idiots were jacking themselves off over how much the game was going to fail and now they're eating gourmet, Michelin star prepared crow and deserve to be laughed at. No one is dismissing your opinions of the game, the nerd rage comes in when you blatantly deny reality to claim the game failed and make up conspiracy theories to cope. Just like your rationalization that an equal amount of people liked and disliked the game. You're just huffing copium to feel better. 65 reader choice awards, my dude. Deal with it.

Kadayi

Banned
Isn't it proof enough that whenever TLou2 is brought up in any conversation, there's always criticism? That there is a litany of YouTube, twitch gamers who have posted lengthy critiques? Are there grifters who are focused on only on perceived social justice ideals? Sure but that goes both ways with the majority of games journalist sites giving TLou2 goty based on what criteria?

Gameplay and story? Gameplay was average for a 3rd person action game and the story (regardless of content) hadn't progressed past cutscenes. How is that not a shitty bar for a videogame to clear? If emulating film but worse is all it takes to impress critics then what's the point?

I think some of you need to be able to separate the grifters from the legitimate criticisms that the game has, in the same way idiots are just focused on Abby, you're no better if that is the entirely of the conversation which is living rent free in your mind. This discourse really comes off as Last Jedi.
Pretty much agreed.

I think some people have a tendency to get overawed by the tech on display to the extent that they lose sight of the game side of things. The true strength of gaming as a storytelling medium versus Film. TV or books lies in interactivity and ability of you as the player to own the experience through your decision making (even if it eventually narrows to a fixed conclusion). The idea of handing Gongs to a linear narrative that affords you neither of these things let alone gushingly declaring it GOTG, really demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the medium as a whole IMHO.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Saying dumb shit like this just shows you're a political zealot and not much else. This is tin-foil hat levels of nonsense.

The game won 65 reader choice awards, as in VOTED BY GAMERS. The game sits, year to date in the US as the 5th best selling game as of the last reported NPD report in November:
npd-nov-2020-ytd.jpg

But hey, maybe they're all in on the "agenda", the evil SJWs using mind control to make people -non professional game reviewer people- buy the game and consistently vote for it.

The only thing it speaks to is that a bunch of idiots were jacking themselves off over how much the game was going to fail and now they're eating gourmet, Michelin star prepared crow and deserve to be laughed at. No one is dismissing your opinions of the game, the nerd rage comes in when you blatantly deny reality to claim the game failed and make up conspiracy theories to cope. Just like your rationalization that an equal amount of people liked and disliked the game. You're just huffing copium to feel better. 65 reader choice awards, my dude. Deal with it.
Dude, i am writing very tempered and calm here, but you come with accusations and insults.
The only Zelot and hatemonger i see here is you who cant accept that people dont share your opinion, and instead of having a tempered discussion you spew your obsessive language left and right and insult people by picking out tidbits of posts that you can attack, instead of reading and understanding the whole message,

Since you cant remain civil this discussion is over, have a good day.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Having detractors and a (I think over exaggerated by the detractors) divide in the fanbase is also something neither here nor there.
It's the result of the game and it's crappy edgy subversion of expectations tactics.

It is still one of the most acclaimed games ever

And one of the most criticized games ever too.

and something tells me that as soon as the first teatime trailer for part III comes out it will be very anticipated.

Of course it will. Few games have the production values of Naughty Dog.

shouting SJW wokeisms against that does not mean the quality of the game is not there.

It works both ways, because then we have platform warriors such as yourself trying to dismiss every criticism of the game as "angry nerds angry at SJW".

The game it's fantastic in some areas, but when you do a narrative movie like game like this and turns out your script makes The Last Jedi look good in comparison and your characters are utterly uncharismatic, then you have a big problem as a videogame too.

The fact that everything is also made through the SJW propaganda lenses, doesn't make it favours neither, but it's just an addition to the problem, not the problem per se.

Top Bottom