• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Users Vote The Last Of Us Part II as Best Game Of The Year - **It Wasnt Even Close**

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I've said this before but outside of 🤡🌎USA and probably the UK... they can't even give the damn thing away, especially in South East Asia. But I guess that doesn't matter since 🤡🌎 doesn't know there is actually life outside of their echo chambers.

So its like Xbox then? :-D

/hides

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Ummmm...In LIKE 1995 maybe, but this is 2021. Times have changed Grandad, video games are all about the message now. Having fun is the height of privilege because while you are smiling and having just the bestest time in your little bubble of joy, that means you aren't thinking about the plight of the oppressed in society.

Have a think about that and educate yourself.
tenor.gif

All jokes aside
oh, you were joking. My bad.

I've said this before but outside of 🤡🌎USA and probably the UK... they can't even give the damn thing away, especially in South East Asia. But I guess that doesn't matter since 🤡🌎 doesn't know there is actually life outside of their echo chambers.
Another resident of fantasy world chiming in. The game didn't sell the majority of its copies in those two regions. It sold a ton throughout Europe not just the UK. You people like to pull false information out of your ass and act like it's facts.

2015 had serious competition. The only actual competitor to TLoU 2 was Cyberpunk which released too late and ran like shit on PS4. And we all know, the poor PS4 chuds live and breathe internet polls.
No Witcher 3 didn't have serious competition. Fallout 4 was just more Fallout bugs and all. MGS5 turned a lot of people off with the poor story and Bloodborne like most souls games is too niche to win many awards.

Mozzarella

A lot of users dont like the game but also a lot of users like the game, since voting doesnt record the negative votes its not very surprising it won.
Also we have to remember that low user score are generally people who invade metacritic to do so, they create a new account to rate a game 0 and then leave. I know this because recently it happened with The Witcher 3 as well. When Cyberpunk was released in bad status on the base console a lot of people invaded its PC page and rated Witcher 3 0. It was a huge page filled with red ratings (0). When i enter their profile it shows only Witcher 3 or Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk. Metacritic got reports to this and handled some of these troll reviews. Now its fine, It was for 3-4 days. So this is like a period of 1-2 weeks where metacritic will get invaded by review bombers. So for TLOU2 they are gone and metacritic users voted for it.

I dont agree with it but its expected, the game is the biggest release of the year, a lot of people have not played many games anyway, some even only played TLOU2 and voted for it based on that alone. I think people who played a lot of games (gaming enthusiasts) will generally vote for Hades over it, but i have no 100% proof of that, i just think the people who have a hobby for games and not just casuals passing by will most likely vote for other games like Doom Eternal or Hades.
It could be a campaign too, who knows, someone with good amount of followers may influence these kind of polls as well, so maybe Metacritic users still dont like it but the game got some help.

I just found out that The Last of Us 2 is the only GOTY winner of this decade that didnt win a GOTY from the two biggest magazines (Gamespot and IGN). Every other GOTY winner either won 1 or both. Which is an interesting fact, given the amount of awards its winning, but i went and saw those websites, most of them are small unknown european/south american websites with very few popularity. Its like 10 journalists in some country with few readers like 100 at max deciding the winner, i may bet few of them only played 1-2 games this whole year which is hilarious to their credibility. Again no 100% proof just speculations.

Weak year overall. 2019 was better.

No Witcher 3 didn't have serious competition. Fallout 4 was just more Fallout bugs and all. MGS5 turned a lot of people off with the poor story and Bloodborne like most souls games is too niche to win many awards.

Nope, 2015 was one hell of a year. MGS5 had a very high metascore and lot of 10/10 and same with Bloodborne, they are regarded excellent games, way better received than any 2020 game even better received than The Last of Us 2.
Bloodborne appears on Game of the generation/decade lists and same with MGS5. I dont think by 2030, any game from 2020 will appear except maybe Hades and small chance for TLOU2.
Also according to gaming communities Bloodborne and Witcher 3 usually dominate polls and contests, they usually sit at the top 5 or top 10. MGS5 follows them. Ori and the Blind forest and Rocket League are not that far behind. Also Fallout 4 release got some good reception, it was after about a year that people started to realize its not as good as they thought, after New Vegas started to gain back its attention.

Last edited:
I watched a few of his videos early on, but his videos were appearing under my recommended video section for awhile. Him and his friends were milking TLOU 2 news for weeks. It was non-stop. I never seen a bunch of adult men act like kids.

Metacritic is trash. People like to use the user reviews as "poof" of how gamers feel, but they're unable to admit that most of the reviews were review bombed by people who haven't played the game.

You don't see review bombs on PSN because they have to actually purchase the game.

I browsed reviews on Amazon, and the vast majority of the reviews are positive with a "verified purchase" under their name. Most of people posting negative reviews don't have this under their name
Exactly. The game's user score is trash on MC b/c of people like The Quartering. He made videos every day for weeks and he would mention the user score in every single one of them which basically was him directing his audience to go leave those scores. He did it before the game even released too as he was part of spreading the fake leaks.

As I and you both said, if you look at any site that verifies whether you own the game or not TLOU2 has a great user score. People that go off the MC one are losers who have nothing else to go on to bash the game.

Pretty much.

It's all the same future ERA users using ERA terminology to attack anybody who didn't like the game.

So Metacritic has gone out of their way to really force TLOU2 to win the "users vote", when in reality is one of the most despised games by the users.

Impressive, it's almost as if there was a narrative trying to be implemented by the media.
How is it to live being as stupid as a human being can possibly be? The game has won FAR more fan voted awards than any other game last year and has great ratings everywhere that actually verifies that you own it. I never saw many other games that people hated over the past few years winning reader's choice GOTY awards. Evidently there is more of the world out there then just you and your little circle jerk of haters.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
2017 wasn't near as big a gap as this. BOTW didn't even win 200 awards. As I said this is most comparable to 2015.
It did win 189 awards though and had a much harder competition on top of that. So nope, sorry.

DryvBy

It's not a horrible game but it's basically just a movie with some gameplay. GoT was my person game of the year but that's just me.

A lot of users dont like the game but also a lot of users like the game, since voting doesnt record the negative votes its not very surprising it won.
Also we have to remember that low user score are generally people who invade metacritic to do so, they create a new account to rate a game 0 and then leave. I know this because recently it happened with The Witcher 3 as well. When Cyberpunk was released in bad status on the base console a lot of people invaded its PC page and rated Witcher 3 0. It was a huge page filled with red ratings (0). When i enter their profile it shows only Witcher 3 or Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk. Metacritic got reports to this and handled some of these troll reviews. Now its fine, It was for 3-4 days. So this is like a period of 1-2 weeks where metacritic will get invaded by review bombers. So for TLOU2 they are gone and metacritic users voted for it.

I dont agree with it but its expected, the game is the biggest release of the year, a lot of people have not played many games anyway, some even only played TLOU2 and voted for it based on that alone. I think people who played a lot of games (gaming enthusiasts) will generally vote for Hades over it, but i have no 100% proof of that, i just think the people who have a hobby for games and not just casuals passing by will most likely vote for other games like Doom Eternal or Hades.
It could be a campaign too, who knows, someone with good amount of followers may influence these kind of polls as well, so maybe Metacritic users still dont like it but the game got some help.

I just found out that The Last of Us 2 is the only GOTY winner of this decade that didnt win a GOTY from the two biggest magazines (Gamespot and IGN). Every other GOTY winner either won 1 or both. Which is an interesting fact, given the amount of awards its winning, but i went and saw those websites, most of them are small unknown european/south american websites with very few popularity. Its like 10 journalists in some country with few readers like 100 at max deciding the winner, i may bet few of them only played 1-2 games this whole year which is hilarious to their credibility. Again no 100% proof just speculations.

Weak year overall. 2019 was better.

Nope, 2015 was one hell of a year. MGS5 had a very high metascore and lot of 10/10 and same with Bloodborne, they are regarded excellent games, way better received than any 2020 game even better received than The Last of Us 2.
Bloodborne appears on Game of the generation/decade lists and same with MGS5. I dont think by 2030, any game from 2020 will appear except maybe Hades and small chance for TLOU2.
Also according to gaming communities Bloodborne and Witcher 3 usually dominate polls and contests, they usually sit at the top 5 or top 10. MGS5 follows them. Ori and the Blind forest and Rocket League are not that far behind. Also Fallout 4 release got some good reception, it was after about a year that people started to realize its not as good as they thought, after New Vegas started to gain back its attention.
I understand what you're saying but if people really loved those other 2015 games then they would've picked up far more reader's choice awards than what they did. The fact that they only won around 30 each just shows that it really wasn't much of a competition. Most players weren't going to vote for MGS5 b/c of the poor story. It played great yes but that wasn't enough for a lot of people. And as I said there is a reason souls games never win many GOTY awards. Sekiro won the most b/c 2019 was a weak year.

Jon Neu

Banned
How is it to live being as stupid as a human being can possibly be?

You tell me.

If you can't see how the media is trying so desperately to present a certain agenda regarding TLOU2 and literally manipulating all of these "fans awards", there's little else to tell you. But it's ironic that you talk about little circlejerks.

Your ERA account got banned?

You tell me.

If you can't see how the media is trying so desperately to present a certain agenda regarding TLOU2 and literally manipulating all of these "fans awards", there's little else to tell you. But it's ironic that you talk about little circlejerks.

Your ERA account got banned?
Yep got to go with your made up theories on how so many gamers are actually voting for TLOU2 over everything else. You people got nothing substantial to hang your hat on so I get it. Also, it's far more fun to talk about TLOU2's success here b/c of you little salty crybabies.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Again the gap wasn't as big
It's like arguing over peanuts at this point. The fact is, the gap between Zelda and the second most awarded game in 2017 was still huge. And yes, the competition in 2017 was definitely harder:
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Persona 5
- Horizon
- Nier: Automata
- Cuphead
- Nioh
- Resident Evil 7
- Sonic Mania

Jon Neu

Banned
Yep got to go with your made up theories
joH1T7P.jpg

Also, it's far more fun to talk about TLOU2's success here b/c of you little salty crybabies.

Absolutely, you are incredibly entertaining to watch.

I mean, DForce, Clear and that Geki whatever dude were fun as the crazy SJW that no matter what defended TLOU2, but they were getting old by now.

You on the other hand, are a nice breath of fresh air when it comes to the SJW lunatics.

I hope you stay.

Mozzarella

I understand what you're saying but if people really loved those other 2015 games then they would've picked up far more reader's choice awards than what they did. The fact that they only won around 30 each just shows that it really wasn't much of a competition. Most players weren't going to vote for MGS5 b/c of the poor story. It played great yes but that wasn't enough for a lot of people. And as I said there is a reason souls games never win many GOTY awards. Sekiro won the most b/c 2019 was a weak year.
I wouldnt say the year is weak because of other games not doing as well as the winner, i disagree with this standard. Because 2017 for example is a year filled with strong titles that are very very good but then you have 1 game that obliterate the others, doesnt make the year bad, to get a better comparison you have to compare the 2nd/3rd..etc titles with each other and not with the year's winner.
I think Witcher 3 had a lot of support in its year, like Witcher 3 in the years 2015-2017 will pretty much beat any other video game released, im not joking the hype for it around those years was insane. TLOU2 does not compare, it won both voices of journalists and readers and dominated user scores around all websites, won multiple polls and won both IGN and Gamespot GOTY. Looking back at 2015 its not because the other titles are weak especially when we make top 10 games of the gen we see 3 games from 2015 and for example 1 or none from 2016 or 2014. When people say strong year they mean that the 2nd place can claim GOTY if it was another year, and i can see that.
But based on your perspective then ofcourse 2015 was not much of a competition, 2011 wasnt either and its imo the best gaming year of the decade followed by 2017. So many good games those years that if you take Portal 2/ Dark Souls 2011 games that didnt get as much GOTY as Skyrim and place them near Dragon Age Inquisition (dominated 2014) then they will destroy Dragon Age. Portal 2 is placed top 5 or top 10 games of the decade in many lists. Its better than any 2020 game imo, that alone makes 2011 miles better than 2020. But again its from a different perspective.

It's like arguing over peanuts at this point. The fact is, the gap between Zelda and the second most awarded game in 2017 was still huge. And yes, the competition in 2017 was definitely harder:
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Persona 5
- Horizon
- Nier: Automata
- Cuphead
- Nioh
- Resident Evil 7
- Sonic Mania
Did you seriously use a 2D Sonic game as a point? Don't get me wrong it was a great Sonic game but it wasn't going to win any awards from anyone. NieR and P5 are too niche, Nioh is another souls game that no one was going to give it to, Resident Evil 7 was mostly forgotten about, and Cuphead no one really talked about come GOTY time either. Horizon and Mario were the only two and Mario was most forgotten about too. I've never seen a 97 rated game be left out of so many awards before. Then again Mario is always overrated anyway. It gets a 10/10 from everywhere on name alone.

joH1T7P.jpg

Absolutely, you are incredibly entertaining to watch.

I mean, DForce, Clear and that Geki whatever dude were fun as the crazy SJW that no matter what defended TLOU2, but they were getting old by now.

You on the other hand, are a nice breath of fresh air when it comes to the SJW lunatics.

I hope you stay.
Thanks again for proving my point. You people just use the MC user thing over and over that anyone can leave a score on and was targeted by man babies before the game released. Stupidity at it's finest.

2015 had serious competition. The only actual competitor to TLoU 2 was Cyberpunk which released too late and ran like shit on PS4. And we all know, the poor PS4 chuds live and breathe internet polls.
The Witcher 3 competition was overhyped Fallout 4 and MGSV and both disappointed, Bloodborne had zero chance being a From Software game and exclusive, so The Witcher 3 competitions was weak, saying The Last of Us Part II has no competition is a compliment, just show how good the game is, because it has Hades,DOOM Eternal,Half Life Alyx,Ghost of Tsushima,Ori,Animal Crossing, FF7 Remake all those games would steal more awards in 2015.
But I agree the only game with a chance against it would be Cyberpunk, even if the game was great, it would have a hard fight against Part II, but the game disappointed, and Part II is sweeping not because the competition is weak, its just that good.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Did you seriously use a 2D Sonic game as a point? Don't get me wrong it was a great Sonic game but it wasn't going to win any awards from anyone. NieR and P5 are too niche, Nioh is another souls game that no one was going to give it to, Resident Evil 7 was mostly forgotten about, and Cuphead no one really talked about come GOTY time either. Horizon and Mario were the only two and Mario was most forgotten about too. I've never seen a 97 rated game be left out of so many awards before. Then again Mario is always overrated anyway. It gets a 10/10 from everywhere on name alone.
Oh sorry, in my youthful recklessness, I thought it was all about quality.

But in all seriousness, by the very same criteria, you could thrash 2020's line up easily.

Oh sorry, in my youthful recklessness, I thought it was all about quality.

But in all seriousness, by the very same criteria, you could thrash 2020's line up easily.
They were quality games but they were also a bunch of niche games. Games like Nioh, P5, and Nier were played by maybe 1 million people each in 2017. They sold better over time but compared to something like Witcher 3 no one hardly played them. Millions played TLOU2 this year. Tens of millions played Animal Crossing. Millions played Cyberpunk. Millions played Ghost of Tsushima. Heck Hades probably had more players than games like Nioh and P5 did. Yet none of those are really winning reader's choice GOTY awards.

It's quite funny considering one of the narratives was that everyone hated TLOU2 and loved Ghost of Tsushima more. Sure not seeing that from what gamers are picking as their GOTY.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Well deserved, Good taste and high quality rewarded. GOTY without question.

1. The Last of Us Part II - 10,194

2. Ghost of Tsushima - 2,079
3. Cyberpunk 2077 - 1,691
4. Hades - 1,510
5. Doom Eternal - 1,062
6. Final Fantasy VII Remake - 1,044
7. Demon's Souls - 818
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 701
9. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 694
10. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 615
11. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 596
12. Half-Life Alyx - 584
13. Persona 5 Royal - 487
14. Resident Evil 3 - 463
15. Nioh 2 - 354
Nothing wrong with these numbers. I'm sure of it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
They were quality games but they were also a bunch of niche games. Games like Nioh, P5, and Nier were played by maybe 1 million people each in 2017. They sold better over time but compared to something like Witcher 3 no one hardly played them. Millions played TLOU2 this year. Tens of millions played Animal Crossing. Millions played Cyberpunk. Millions played Ghost of Tsushima. Heck Hades probably had more players than games like Nioh and P5 did. Yet none of those are really winning reader's choice GOTY awards.

It's quite funny considering one of the narratives was that everyone hated TLOU2 and loved Ghost of Tsushima more. Sure not seeing that from what gamers are picking as their GOTY.
Isn't it kind of telling that those awards are more of a popularity contest!?
Also aren't video game award shows, in general, more of a niche thing? Heck, I hardly watch those shows and I am pretty much the target demographic.
I am pretty sure that 90% of people that bought Animal Crossing couldn't care less about GOTY awards.

PubG was released in 2017 too, btw., and that game was very successful and did in fact win a few awards despite not being fully released at that point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Neu

Banned
It's quite funny considering one of the narratives was that everyone hated TLOU2
Nobody has said that.

The game was going to be loved by a huge chunk of people no matter what, just with the woke crowd and the Sony fanboys, you have already millions of fans of the game pretty much guaranteed.

But is one of the most divisive games ever because it's an absolute clusterfuck from a narrative point and because of the SJW obsession of preaching politics within videogames.

Sure not seeing that from what gamers are picking as their GOTY.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/g...d.&text=At the end of all,II to win the honor.

Literally in the most relevant poll, GoT beated TLOU2.

I'm sure there are dozens of little polls like this one of Metacritic that nobody heard about in which TLOU2 wins, but that hardly represents gamers when at the same time Metacritic erased thousands of bad reviews of the game in a silly attempt at trying to control the narrative.

And still, the game has a 5'7 average.

And yes, this year has been incredibly weak when it comes to GOTY material. GoT shouldn't even be in a GOTY list at all, but it's the closest competitor of TLOU2.

Your data is wrong. TLOU2 has sold around 4m copies. The sales data you provided was for the original game.
His data is wrong but so is yours because part 2 sold 4 million in three days of release and it’s not like it magically stopped selling after that.

Isn't it kind of telling that those awards are more of a popularity contest!?
Also aren't video game award shows, in general, more of a niche thing? Heck, I hardly watch those shows and I am pretty much the target demographic.
I am pretty sure that 90% of people that bought Animal Crossing couldn't care less about GOTY awards.

PubG was released in 2017 too, btw., and that game was very successful and did in fact win a few awards despite not being fully released at that point in time.
Or maybe Animal Crossing just wasn't worth picking as the best game? I've played AC for over 700 hours this past year and no way I would pick it. It has too many little things that annoy me and it's missing a lot of stuff that prior entries had. I always vote for the best overall game and that sure wasn't AC. A lot of the community feels the same way about the game.

Nobody has said that.

The game was going to be loved by a huge chunk of people no matter what, just with the woke crowd and the Sony fanboys, you have already millions of fans of the game pretty much guaranteed.

But is one of the most divisive games ever because it's an absolute clusterfuck from a narrative point and because of the SJW obsession of preaching politics within videogames.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ghost-of-tsushima-beats-the-last-of-us-2-game-awards/#:~:text=Announced today by The Game,of the Player's Voice Award.&text=At the end of all,II to win the honor.

Literally in the most relevant poll, GoT beated TLOU2.

I'm sure there are dozens of little polls like this one of Metacritic that nobody heard about in which TLOU2 wins, but that hardly represents gamers when at the same time Metacritic erased thousands of bad reviews of the game in a silly attempt at trying to control the narrative.

And still, the game has a 5'7 average.

And yes, this year has been incredibly weak when it comes to GOTY material. GoT shouldn't even be in a GOTY list at all, but it's the closest competitor of TLOU2.
The vote was no more relevant than any others. It just fits your narrative so you pick it. A site like IGN gets tons of traffic and their audience voted TLOU2 along with 60+ other places to date. And yeah the game has a 5.7 average b/c if you understand basic math the game had 20,000+ 0/10s the moment it released. That means that it would take 20,000+ 10/10s just to even the score out at a 5. That's exactly why the hate brigade targeted it so they could try to prove some point even though to date it still doesn't. Even if every negative review on there was legit (which we know isn't the case) that's like 60,000 out of like 8+ million people who have played it. Minority son.

Btw it's a known fact that most people who enjoy something don't leave reviews saying it. I've never once left a user review on Metacritic for any game that I enjoyed. Negativity speaks loudest but doesn't equal majority. Enjoy living your life as a dumbass.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is false lol
It is selling pretty well outside US and UK.

maybe Animal Crossing just wasn't worth picking as the best game? I've played AC for over 700 hours this past year and no way I would pick it. It has too many little things that annoy me and it's missing a lot of stuff that prior entries had.

over 700 hours in a furry minigame collecting bugs and branches, but wouldn't give GOTY for minor annoyances

then they vote for The Lesbo of Us 2

and we are supposed to take this seriously :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ethomaz

Banned
Every time I read anything about this game I get sad at the state of the gaming community.

On one side there are man children complaining about story beats or character design decisions, on the other hand there are people who feel the need to voice their political opinion through a medium that is very much supposed to entertain, less to educate.

I don't care about either, I want to read what the game is actually like. But posts about that are in the absolute minority.

Guess I'll see for myself when I buy it later tonight and boot it up myself.
It nailed everything you need in a single player game: story, world, environment, gameplay and graphics.

It is really hard to find a low point in TLOU2... even it weakness is still top in the industry.

ethomaz

Banned
Of course. Which is why I said how much he likes it will depend on how much he likes that style of Sony first party title.
Well the only game similar to TLOU2 in Sony first party output is TLOU lol

Só what you said doesn’t help anybody.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The vote was no more relevant than any others. It just fits your narrative so you pick it. A site like IGN gets tons of traffic and their audience voted TLOU2 along with 60+ other places to date. And yeah the game has a 5.7 average b/c if you understand basic math the game had 20,000+ 0/10s the moment it released. That means that it would take 20,000+ 10/10s just to even the score out at a 5. That's exactly why the hate brigade targeted it so they could try to prove some point even though to date it still doesn't. Even if every negative review on there was legit (which we know isn't the case) that's like 60,000 out of like 8+ million people who have played it. Minority son.

Btw it's a known fact that most people who enjoy something don't leave reviews saying it. I've never once left a user review on Metacritic for any game that I enjoyed. Negativity speaks loudest but doesn't equal majority. Enjoy living your life as a dumbass.

Now say it without crying.

Ozrimandias

Absolutely deserved, I think that many in GAF cried too much for non-existent things in the game and mentally unbalanced people put their prejudices before a game that is very well justified, narratively is excellent and unfortunately some crazy people messed with death threats and other series of things that fortunately did not cloud the game itself.

Top Bottom