• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Users Vote The Last Of Us Part II as Best Game Of The Year - **It Wasnt Even Close**

Arun1910

Well deserved.

The world of TLoU is fantastic. Love the art direction in 2, everything is so overgrown with wildlife. Has a great gritty atmosphere, sense of threat and amazing graphics.

Only issue I had was the game was SO long. I love this franchise but I wanted it to end 3 times... I put that down to a pacing issue.

Either way, some serious talent went into this game from Art direction all the way to Animations and nothing in 2020 came close.

Ogbert

Well deserved.

The world of TLoU is fantastic. Love the art direction in 2, everything is so overgrown with wildlife. Has a great gritty atmosphere, sense of threat and amazing graphics.

Only issue I had was the game was SO long. I love this franchise but I wanted it to end 3 times... I put that down to a pacing issue.

Either way, some serious talent went into this game from Art direction all the way to Animations and nothing in 2020 came close.
You see, this is my issue.

Genuinely nothing personal. I actually agree with everything you said. In terms of industry talent, Naughty Dog have the best animators going. And they should win every visual award going.

But as a game, it’s so painfully average. The movement, combat. Everything is so dull. It tricks you into thinking it’s far more visceral than it is with, you guessed it, animation.

It’s far too long. The reason you wanted it to end was because it’s boring and the gameplay isn’t good enough. Compare something like Half Life Alyx which is an ever increasing masterclass in ACTUAL game design.

TLOU2 is just like a Marvel movie. Flashy, expensive but shallow. That said, it winning every award fits our cultural climate.

K.S v2.0

Banned
I've said this before but outside of 🤡🌎USA and probably the UK... they can't even give the damn thing away, especially in South East Asia. But I guess that doesn't matter since 🤡🌎 doesn't know there is actually life outside of their echo chambers.

MagnesG

Banned
I've said this before but outside of 🤡🌎USA and probably the UK... they can't even give the damn thing away, especially in South East Asia. But I guess that doesn't matter since 🤡🌎 doesn't know there is actually life outside of their echo chambers.
Yes, beyond trash. Got baited with the father daughter synergy from the first game and being force fed with Cuckmann little cuck coming story.

u4ea

Wait, wasn't the user score for TLOU2 super low for some drama reasons?
Now they suddenly win with the user votes?

Michael Jackson Popcorn GIF by Naughty Dog

Iorveth

Banned
The fact that Ghost of Tsushima is above Cyberpunk, pretty much reveals the vast majority of voters only have consoles.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't know why it's appearing in top 10 charts in Spain, Germany and France if they just can't "give it away". But you're talking about a western game in Asia (it's also banned in certain parts of Asia), which a lot of Sony first party titles are not, but it still sold more than the majority of them.

Iorveth

Banned
2015 was the last time a game ran away with GOTY like this. That year Witcher 3 had 250 something while Fallout 4 was the runner up with around 50 something. Almost exact repeat of that where Hades will end up around what Fallout 4 did. Ghost and Animal Crossing will be like Bloodborne and MGS5 with around 30 each give or take.
2015 had serious competition. The only actual competitor to TLoU 2 was Cyberpunk which released too late and ran like shit on PS4. And we all know, the poor PS4 chuds live and breathe internet polls.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I mean have you seen what the Quatering looks like or his videos?

Dude looks like he gives the least amount of effort required in all aspects of his live.

As for Metacritic, it's a trash website filled with bots, crazed stans, and haters that make all their user reviews pointless. And for their critic reviews, they provide no where near the same level of transparency as Rotten Tomatoes. I mean to this day we don't know how Metacritic weighs certain top reviewers in regards to an average score.

I watched a few of his videos early on, but his videos were appearing under my recommended video section for awhile. Him and his friends were milking TLOU 2 news for weeks. It was non-stop. I never seen a bunch of adult men act like kids.

Metacritic is trash. People like to use the user reviews as "poof" of how gamers feel, but they're unable to admit that most of the reviews were review bombed by people who haven't played the game.

You don't see review bombs on PSN because they have to actually purchase the game.

I browsed reviews on Amazon, and the vast majority of the reviews are positive with a "verified purchase" under their name. Most of people posting negative reviews don't have this under their name

MarlboroRed

Every time I read anything about this game I get sad at the state of the gaming community.

On one side there are man children complaining about story beats or character design decisions, on the other hand there are people who feel the need to voice their political opinion through a medium that is very much supposed to entertain, less to educate.

I don't care about either, I want to read what the game is actually like. But posts about that are in the absolute minority.

Guess I'll see for myself when I buy it later tonight and boot it up myself.

Ogbert

Every time I read anything about this game I get sad at the state of the gaming community.

On one side there are man children complaining about story beats or character design decisions, on the other hand there are people who feel the need to voice their political opinion through a medium that is very much supposed to entertain, less to educate.

I don't care about either, I want to read what the game is actually like. But posts about that are in the absolute minority.

Guess I'll see for myself when I buy it later tonight and
It’s a visually stunning third person action adventure with average mechanics that goes on too long and with gameplay that doesn’t develop in any meaningful way.
It’s about ten hours too long.

How much you like it will depend on how much you like the style of Sony first party output.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It’s a visually stunning third person action adventure with average mechanics that goes on too long and with gameplay that doesn’t develop in any meaningful way.
It’s about ten hours too long.

How much you like it will depend on how much you like the style of Sony first party output.
It's nothing more than your personal opinion. How you feel about the game is not a fact.

This game made me cry, it was such an experience. The hate that it got was such a disgrace from typical gamergate types who can't stand 2 strong female leads. Ghost of Tsushima simply isn't in the same ballpark, does it even have a trans character? In 2020? Yikes.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Of course. Which is why I said how much he likes it will depend on how much he likes that style of Sony first party title.
But you're disagreeing with a lot of people on this thread. One person think it's one of the best games? He needs to play other games. Another person thought it dragged on and should've ended earlier? It's he thought the game was boring.

I thought many games went on for far too long, but that doesn't mean I think the entire game is boring.

Resident Evil 7 is one example. I think the flashback sequence with Mia made the game a bit too long for me and I wanted it to end at the ship, but it didn't end for another 2 hours.

Ogbert

But you're disagreeing with a lot of people on this thread. One person think it's one of the best games? He needs to play other games.

Of course I'm disagreeing with people. That's the whole fun. It's no biggie. We're fundamentally no different to thirteen year old girls arguing over who won the X-factor.

I don't think TLOU or, for that matter, Read Dead Redemption, are very good games. I think both Naughty Dog and Rockstar are incredible studios that put out amazing pieces of 'interactive entertainment', but they both fail the fundamental test of good game play. I am intrigued that so many gaming journalists love the games. That no one points out how the gameplay doesn't really develop. How the game continues to rely on tired mechanics.

It's a little like marking diving in the Olympics. TLOU should get a perfect execution score - 10/10. But they're attempting a far more simple dive. An essentially on-rails corridor game that we've played a hundred times over - and that should bump it down.

ethomaz

Banned
Your data is wrong. TLOU2 has sold around 4m copies. The sales data you provided was for the original game.
4m in 3 days.

After that it is on all TOP seller games of the year chart together with juggernaut multiplatforms like AC:Vanalla.

Reality is different from what people keep dreaming.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Those are some really low voting numbers.. seems like no one cares about metacritic
Maybe those who cared are the ones that wanted to show the mediocre rating on metacritic user score weren't real.

Meanwhile everyone else has moved forward since second quarter this year and doesn't give a shit anymore.

Gotta congrat Druckmann and Naughty Dog. The competition must have been real lackluster this year.

(yes I hate Druckmann with a great passion for ruining the only series I cared about on playstation)

tassletine

Not surprising as it's a game designed for fanatics. Clever move by naughty dog. I'm sure the huge advertising budget helped.

Personally I would have gone for Hades both for it's storytelling and gameplay, which were more innovative.

tassletine

Well deserved.

That's my main problem with it too. I loved the gameplay and the story would have been fine at half the length, but it dragged it out, and had literally nothing to say after about the halfway mark.
It just turned into a regular videogame, angry people acting tough, on a mission trying to kill someone -- I haven't seen THAT game before. So regressive, despite the polish.

Humdinger

The bolded is the type of person I want to know from. Not some astroturfer that's review bombing because he thinks he's fighting a culture war.

Not really my crowd -- the type who'd closely follow what critical review scores are. I learned long ago to disregard critical review scores and aggregate averages in particular. They can inform you about some objective measures (e.g., how good the visuals are, what the production values are like), but they have very little correlation with what I'll enjoy or dislike. I've learned that through decades of comparing review scores to my own experience. They tell me next to nothing about what I'll like and what I'll dislike. They might tell me a little about how well the game might sell, but otherwise, I don't really care. So I mostly disregard review scores, and I wouldn't have much in common with people are preoccupied with them.

Same goes for game awards. I don't really care which game wins which award. Again, it comes back to the lack of correlation between which games get awards and which games I enjoy. I am glad when a game I like gets an award, but I don't take it as some kind of validation of the game's worth. It's not a "see, I told you the game was good," like seems to be happening with some TLOU2 fans. If I enjoyed the game, that's all the validation I need.

Ogbert

Not really my crowd -- the type who'd closely follow what critical review scores are. I learned long ago to disregard critical review scores and aggregate averages in particular. They can inform you about some objective measures (e.g., how good the visuals are, what the production values are like), but they have very little correlation with what I'll enjoy or dislike. I've learned that through decades of comparing review scores to my own experience. They tell me next to nothing about what I'll like and what I'll dislike. They might tell me a little about how well the game might sell, but otherwise, I don't really care. So I mostly disregard review scores, and I wouldn't have much in common with people are preoccupied with them.

Same goes for game awards. I don't really care which game wins which award. Again, it comes back to the lack of correlation between which games get awards and which games I enjoy. I am glad when a game I like gets an award, but I don't take it as some kind of validation of the game's worth. It's not a "see, I told you the game was good," like seems to be happening with some TLOU2 fans. If I enjoyed the game, that's all the validation I need.
Hear hear.

Which is why my favourite game discussion is ‘games that reviewed terribly but which you enjoyed’.

Bartski

Gold Member

Exactly how I feel about it. I think it all this just comes with age

Meanwhile the current user ratings are around 150k with 76k reviews vs 10 194
joH1T7P.jpg

It is not possible to currently read the reviews except the 8 of them.
gNWXrbF.jpg

Still congrats with the 10k votes with 50% off bargain bin price.

Lol never knew they also deleted a big amount of negative reviews. So much for these Metacritic users.
Case closed.

Nothing last year came close to TLOU2. Deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Half-Life Alyx came, but very few lucky ones played.

ironically enough, VR as the niche market it is right now is dominated by purple armpit haired SJW people who love minigames instead

Thabass

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't close to my favorite game of the year. Final Fantasy VII Remake and Ghost of Tsushima were better.

Jon Neu

Banned
Oh hey look. Another thread where the same 10 odd fanboys spend pages crying about “haters”. Y’all need to get a life.
Pretty much.

It's all the same future ERA users using ERA terminology to attack anybody who didn't like the game.

So Metacritic has gone out of their way to really force TLOU2 to win the "users vote", when in reality is one of the most despised games by the users.

Impressive, it's almost as if there was a narrative trying to be implemented by the media.

Last edited:
Problematic.

Too many bigot sandwiches that can't stand a strong lesbian female character with another woman who left her relationship with an oriental gentleman and now raises their kid with her.

This is what gaming needs these days, I don't know about you but I am tired of stories about moody anime protagonists with bleach blonde hair and massive swords saving the world from evil corporations. We need mature progressive stories like the last of us 2 and gone home. It isn't good unless you are questioning your humanity by the time the credits roll.

It is NOT ok to have fun and enjoy yourself, that is white privilege at it's most potent malevolence.

Last edited:
Aren't videogames supposed to be fun and entertaining?

Ummmm...In LIKE 1995 maybe, but this is 2021. Times have changed Grandad, video games are all about the message now. Having fun is the height of privilege because while you are smiling and having just the bestest time in your little bubble of joy, that means you aren't thinking about the plight of the oppressed in society.

Have a think about that and educate yourself.

Last edited:

iorek21

Aside from pacing and some story choices, I can't really complain about TLOU2, it is a very high quality game. GoT, Hades or FF7R could also win and it would still be fair.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
2015 had serious competition. The only actual competitor to TLoU 2 was Cyberpunk which released too late and ran like shit on PS4. And we all know, the poor PS4 chuds live and breathe internet polls.

Umm, no ... Ghost of Tsushima, Half Life Alyx, Animal Crossing, Doom Eternal, Ori, MSFS, FF7 Remake, Hades: there was plenty of competition.

retsof624

Bunch of trash. Anyone with SENSE and INTELLIGENCE knows Crash 4 was the best game of 2020. Any other answer is a lie.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So that's why it's already 50% off.
Oh Yeah Oscars GIF by PBS SoCal
Probably is. Capitalize on the hype of GoTY with a limited time price reduction..... Before reducing it again in a few weeks. I jumped in. I think it was a pretty good marketing move and I need something to play on my PS5.

All jokes aside, I'm fed up of everything to do with TLOU2. Personally I think it is hot garbage but if it really is loved by so many people then I guess my tastes aren't shared by all that many people and I will just have to deal with that.

Personally my game of the year was FF7 Remake but we all have different opinions I guess. And that's OK

Last edited:
Top Bottom