• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 5, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for like Moscow or England or Egypt. Would love to see how some of those areas would respond to something like this. Obviously 28 Days Later tried to tackle that with the England setting.

LA is just ... how much different from Atlanta is it really?

LA is a great choice, and has a really large footprint for environments, but not weather.

Day one.

Jonm1010

Banned
Because in his brief performances he has been a more human, engaging (and largely better performed) character than almost anyone else on the show. I'd argue his story in the pilot was so successful and effecting that it's a large part of why the show became the juggernaut it is today. It legitimized the drama of this zombie story.

And I would argue the only time this show has reached that peak again was with his second episode.

I honestly kind of don't want him to come back though because nothing this staff has shown me indicates they will be able to sustain that peak over time and it will lessen the character in the end.

Jonm1010

Banned
LA is a great choice, and has a really large footprint for environments, but not weather.

Day one.

L.A. is literally the most overused setting in cinema and TV.

This altogether reeks of an uninspired cash-in.

Can't wait to see what L.A. character tropes they shuffle out.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Started a rewatch of the older seasons and noticed some silly things.

Carol's career in pyrotechnics and killing people must have started way longer in her head. In the season 1 finale, she was the one who gave Rick the grenade needed to blast off the glass windows at the CDC for their escape. And why did she have the grenade? She kept it in her bag after she found it in Rick's clothes when she did the washing on the night Rick first met up with the group. Who keeps a random grenade in her bag? Especially when all she has been doing was washing and cooking with no weapons whatsoever. Instead of giving the grenade to someone else or Rick she just went "better keep it in my bag welp". Carol must have always wanted to be a badass.

Also, in the horrible episode with the fat zombie in the well, it was Andrea who said they can't just shoot it and contaminate the water. Shane agrees with her. T-dog was the one who suggested to shoot it in the first place. When it all fails and the zombie breaks up into half, having its rotten guts fall and flow into the well anyway, it was T Dog who went on to bash that zombie in the head and said sarcastically "Good thing we didn't do anything stupid shoot it". T Dog is smarter than I remember (lol) and Andrea always makes bad decisions and suggestions. T Dog totally had a "what did I say we do again and what a waste of time" look on his face when the zombie broke and based the head into bits before Andrea could finish asking what to do with the zombie.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Started a rewatch of the older seasons and noticed some silly things.

Carol's career in pyrotechnics and killing people must have started way longer in her head. In the season 1 finale, she was the one who gave Rick the grenade needed to blast off the glass windows at the CDC for their escape. And why did she have the grenade? She kept it in her bag after she found it in Rick's clothes when she did the washing on the night Rick first met up with the group. Who keeps a random grenade in her bag? Especially when all she has been doing was washing and cooking with no weapons whatsoever. Instead of giving the grenade to someone else or Rick she just went "better keep it in my bag welp". Carol must have always wanted to be a badass.

Woah, nice catch!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Walking Dead Spinoff Casts Deadwood Vet Kim Dickens as Female Lead

Dickens will play a guidance counselor who’s in a relationship with a divorced teacher (Gang Related‘s Cliff Curtis).

szb64eM.jpg

RangersFan

Kim Dickens and Cliff Curtis on top of Lennie James (presumably joining the group soon). Talk about a casting boon. All three should be regular cast members and hopefully not guest spots.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Kim Dickens and Cliff Curtis on top of Lennie James (presumably joining the group soon). Talk about a casting boon. All three should be regular cast members and hopefully not guest spots.

Kim Dickens and Cliff Curtis are playing the leads in the spin off. They're definitely not guest stars.

RangersFan

Kim Dickens and Cliff Curtis are playing the leads in the spin off. They're definitely not guest stars.

oh oops, my mind seemed to have skipped the word "spinoff" there. Damn, don't know how a feel about a spinoff of a mediocre show (that actually had one of it's stronger seasons so far). At least they got strong leads for it, I just hope it has a different tone, feel, and maybe different story telling mechanism to keep it different from TWD.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just hope it has a different tone, feel, and maybe different story telling mechanism to keep it different from TWD.

It's set in LA and will "chronicle the early days of the epidemic and the effort to contain it." So it should be very different from the main series. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Why? What has he done to justify and sort of fanfare that fans of this show have for him? Has he done anything notable that anyone can remember?

The most notable thing I can recall is that he wears a ski mask during the summer. Annnnnd that's about it.

ppl like to grab a ball and run with it. It's a nuthugger mentality.

ItIsOkBro

Because in his brief performances he has been a more human, engaging (and largely better performed) character than almost anyone else on the show. I'd argue his story in the pilot was so successful and effecting that it's a large part of why the show became the juggernaut it is today. It legitimized the drama of this zombie story.

tbh. half the cast are less human than the walkers at this point.

I know I'm late to the party, but I just watched the mid season finale. I thought it was bad for one simple reason: Beth's death. It was so poorly done. To me it seemed like the show runners knew they had to kill someone and couldn't think of a good way to do it. Beth's decision to stab the cop made no damn sense. What did she think would happen if she stabbed her? She's actually lucky an even worse gun fight didn't ensue. She could have killed everyone. And for what? The copy lady (who seemed somewhat decent actually compared to many of the others) was oppressing the other kid? Come on, that doesn't remotely justify Beth's actions and I don't buy at all she'd actually do that. I'd give the episode an F because half the season was leading up to saving Beth and it ended with that bullshit.

I know I'm late to the party, but I just watched the mid season finale. I thought it was bad for one simple reason: Beth's death. It was so poorly done. To me it seemed like the show runners knew they had to kill someone and couldn't think of a good way to do it. Beth's decision to stab the cop made no damn sense. What did she think would happen if she stabbed her? She's actually lucky an even worse gun fight didn't ensue. She could have killed everyone. And for what? The copy lady (who seemed somewhat decent actually compared to many of the others) was oppressing the other kid? Come on, that doesn't remotely justify Beth's actions and I don't buy at all she'd actually do that. I'd give the episode an F because half the season was leading up to saving Beth and it ended with that bullshit.

This was my take as well. Beth's gambit made no sense and worst of all risked getting her friends killed. More unsettling, the show continues its trend of only developing characters it intends to kill off. Beth on a redemption arc? Not anymore! And look, her sister Maggie who hasn't even mentioned her sister's name in half a season or more suddenly shows up just in time to grieve. See you next season!

I've enjoyed this season more than the last few. In fact it's probably been my favorite since season 1. But it's frustrating that the show still suffers from same problems that have plagued it since the beginning. Weak writing, poor character development and uncharacteristic decisions seemingly made for no purpose but to drive the plot forward.

So I'm re-watching "Still", which was the one with Beth and Daryl.

Knowing how Beth ends up dead, it's kinda sad to see Daryl go drunk asshole and says "You ain't ever gonna see them again", listing off all the people, including her sister who she actually never does see again.

So dumb that they developed Beth to just kill her off for "the emotional impact". I thought this show was past season 2 style dumb writing, but I guess not. Beth, next to Carol and Rick, by far had the best development arc.

Rewatching some episodes right now on AMC, and it just reminds me how thankful I am that they killed off Lori
Yeah me too. Only deaths that reallly bother me are Shane and Merle. I wish those two fucks were still alive and out there, with or without the group. Really well-written characters, and really well cast.

Zaph

So dumb that they developed Beth to just kill her off for "the emotional impact". I thought this show was past season 2 style dumb writing, but I guess not. Beth, next to Carol and Rick, by far had the best development arc.

If they only kill off underdeveloped characters, or characters obviously at the end of their arc (e.g. Hershel), the show would become even more predictable.

If they only kill off underdeveloped characters, or characters obviously at the end of their arc (e.g. Hershel), the show would become even more predictable.

Yea, but they clearly did it for the soul intent to kill her off, considering how dumb her death was, they clearly didn't put much thinking into it.

It was "Well, this episode is going to be the mid-season episode, we need someone to die."

"After the tragic events of the mid-season finale - as well as losing the possibility of a cure in Washington, DC - Rick Grimes' band of survivors find themselves on the road, surviving day-to-day and trying to hold on to their shredded humanity and dwindling hope. Stripped of security and without a direction for the future, some of the group near their breaking point, some find themselves hardened and cold and some just try to grasp onto what little they have left. Though they are still breathing, the line between Rick's group and the dead is starting to blur. Could there be anything at this point that brings them back to life?"

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Love the poster, I am looking forward to seeing how the team will face up along the journey together than being split apart. This should make things a hell lot of interesting.

EulaCapra

I can't help but see Andrew Lincoln's head on top of a body double's pose if that's the case.

His head looks...strangely large zoomed in.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Some quotes:

"So what we’re trying to do with The Walking Dead spinoff is keep the story as familiar as possible for people that love The Walking Dead, so you’ll get the kind of things that you expect from a Walking Dead story. But, at the same time, we’ll want to tell these stories in a completely different way with completely different people in a completely different setting that’s going to make for a fundamentally different show. I think the look and feel of The Walking Dead spinoff is going to be startlingly different."

“You could watch The Walking Dead spinoff if you’ve never watched an episode of The Walking Dead and get a really great, rich, fulfilling experience out of it. It has to be a show that can stand on its own. I think that’s what we’ve accomplished, and we start filming in a couple of days. I’m really excited.”

Kirkman also confirms that no characters from the original comic book will appear on the new show, which makes sense seeing as how they take place on opposite sides of the country.

To further differentiate the two TV versions of The Walking Dead, the new pilot will be directed by Adam Davidson, a newcomer to this world. “He hasn’t directed The Walking Dead,” says Kirkman. “So that is one way that we’re trying to bring a new directing style to the show—to bring in new visual language to this show. That’s something that Adam is working really hard to bring. He’ll largely be responsible for the different look and feel that makes the show stand on it’s own.”

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how the general audience will react if they introduce
gay Jesus
(comic book character name and trait) into the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom