• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 5, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethe82

Banned
Rick is Shane. And it's about time.

Shane was out for himself and made any excuses necessary to get what he wanted, in in terms of extremes Rick is in no way equivalent to Shane now, and Rick still has morality where as Shane did not. RIck is pragmatic and teetering on the edge of madness, not teetering on the edge of becoming Shane. He's only 'Shane 2.0' if you consider him to be willing to go to (lesser) extremes, but in the name of protecting others, being better than Shane in every way, and having a moral selfless compass, which Shane did not.

jediyoshi

I really think staying in the hospital would have been safest.

Was it just that they were too traumatized about Beth being killed there not to stay ?

The internal politics of the hospital weren't going to change. The entire set up was going to constantly be a power struggle regardless of who was in charge. Nothing would last the way the two groups operate.

Jesus Christ this show has gone way down hill since Four walls and a roof. the way
Beth died
was fucking stupid. and Sasha must be injecting herself with some form of stupid juice to let her guard down around a hostile. Everyone somehow gets stupid right when it is convenient to write a plot point. These last two episodes feel like they were written by kurt sutter. i hope Part 2 finds a way to be more like episodes 1-3 and not the rest of this poorly written mediocre season.

someday

Banned
Scott Gimple was a recent guest on Aisha Tyler's podcast "Girl On Guy." It's a 2 hour episode and really interesting if you're a Walking Dead fan. I actually didn't find him all that interesting but it does help to understand the direction of the show.

Palpable

If anyone here watches Sons of Anarchy, then last night's episode had a
#lookattheflowers moment
to it that many of you should've definitely caught. :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The internal politics of the hospital weren't going to change. The entire set up was going to constantly be a power struggle regardless of who was in charge. Nothing would last the way the two groups operate.

Yeah I have to agree. Rick could probably take the hospital by force, but why bother dealing with the animosity from those that survive. And then you could never really trust those still there.

If someone chooses to leave with you, you can be pretty damn sure they're done with the bullshit at the hospital.

LevelNth

Banned
Just watched episode 8, of course that happened. Don't care for killing Beth at all, her character was a much needed change of pace from the others. But just like Hershel I guess the writers tire of character diversity and just want only the fighters left.

Poor choice that I think is going to hurt this show going forward, and it's already starting to wear thin.

EDIT: Just read a perfect Emily Kinney interview, she talks about how she feels killing Beth now wasted all the development she had in the past season and a half, which I totally agree with. She mentions it would've made more sense to do it in Season 2 or 3, but not now. She's bang on, and it's such a shame they've done it simply for shock value in a midsession finale.

Shane was out for himself and made any excuses necessary to get what he wanted, in in terms of extremes Rick is in no way equivalent to Shane now, and Rick still has morality where as Shane did not. RIck is pragmatic and teetering on the edge of madness, not teetering on the edge of becoming Shane. He's only 'Shane 2.0' if you consider him to be willing to go to (lesser) extremes, but in the name of protecting others, being better than Shane in every way, and having a moral selfless compass, which Shane did not.

While I agree, Shane did what he felt was necessary to survive in this world, while back then Rick was wishy washy on everything despite being the leader.

Yeah Shane was selfish, but he didn't half step. Now Rick is the same way whereas he protested the shit out of it when Shane told him he had to adapt.

Joni

Shane killed allies, Rick only kills enemies. It is still a major difference. Shane killed the fat guy that was helping him, Shane wanted to kill Rick.

Revolver

I hope not, judith is the perfect lunch meal for a rotter.

I just don't think they've got the guts to do away with her though. They seem to use her as this ray of hope for the future and I can just see the series finale showing a teenaged Judith and a grown Carl standing over Rick's grave as society starts to rebuild.

RICK ALWAYS DA BEST

It's a shame they killed Beth. They spent all that time developing her character and I was just starting to like her. Hopefully some of this cast bloat is taken care of in the second half and we get to see more of Morgan.

Takashi

I have a bad feeling Morgan is gonna go the Duke Nukem Forever route and get so hyped that when he finally becomes a regular, he isn't gonna be that great. He's only been in two episodes -albeit two very good ones- so there hasn't really been a chance to write him badly. Have him appear in half a dozen episodes and now the likelihood to mess up his character really increases. I really hope I'm wrong though.

BkMogul

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record in this thread, but I really didn't feel much when Beth got head-shot. The sheer idiocy of what she did to Dawn (knowing there are people....with guns....all around her) prompted a big eye roll. I was definitely warming up to the character and was looking forward to her interactions with the group, given her new persona. Just lazy writing to off a character IMO.

Lime

Cliff Curtis has been cast as the male lead in The Walking Dead companion series

For the first time, I'm legit hyped for this now. I love this guy.

Wasn't that the companion series with a bunch of teenagers or am I missing something?

Not sure if anyone who isn't already watching the show would see this in here as they'd probably try to be avoiding spoilers, but Amazon has the Seasons 1-3 bundle with a T-shirt for $40. Seems good for anyone who wants to start getting into it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5G1O7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Region locked :(

Lime

Seriously that Beth death was probably the dumbest. I couldn't believe it. Could someone rationalize and explain to me why she did it? It made zero sense.

Lime

Still a dumb strategy even if we try to understand what her motivation is. Why not wait? Why not use the group that's bordering on paramilitary tactics with assault rifles and crossbows? It makes no sense.

oh well, nothing to do about this creative decision. My mood won't change it. It's just so fucking dumb and I just have to swallow it.

Still a dumb strategy even if we try to understand what her motivation is. Why not wait? Why not use the group that's bordering on paramilitary tactics with assault rifles and crossbows? It makes no sense.

oh well, nothing to do about this creative decision. My mood won't change it. It's just so fucking dumb and I just have to swallow it.
because more innocent people would probably die that way? Also who knows what would happen to noah once they left.

zeemumu

Seriously that Beth death was probably the dumbest. I couldn't believe it. Could someone rationalize and explain to me why she did it? It made zero sense.

She played the deadliest game of rock paper scissors.

It was pretty split second though. I read the explanation that someone posted, and I guess considering what she went through to get Noah out, it makes sense with her character, but that was out of nowhere. It reminded me of
Omid getting shot by that random person
in Telltale Walking Dead Season 2.

I think most people were expecting Beth to die this season, just not in this way. Everyone else thought she'd be Terminus food.

How much of the original group is left by this point? Just Rick, Carl, Carol, and Daryl?

mujun

There may have been no strategy to it, though.

For one she stabbed her in the upper chest with half a pair of scissors. Hardly likely to kill.

Secondly, I figured it for pent up rage exploding out in the form of a stupid decision, kind of like those videos of people going crazy in the workplace. I always wonder how people can do that type of stuff.

vityaz

I just chalk it up to her being a stupid teenager, acting on emotion unable to control herself. I had started to like her more thanks to the hospital episodes, but I won't miss her.

3TDLk.gif

Well..today does feel a bit empty without this show but...you can go on the Discovery Channel and watch a guy get eaten by an Anaconda if you so please.

You guys should take this opportunity to get into a show you haven't seen yet. I recommend The Americans. Not enough people watch it!

Or we can have walking dead fan fic every sunday.

Compbros

Overall I feel like this show has been meh with flashes of brilliance every now and again. The biggest problem is that there isn't a real sense of danger. The episode "Killer Within" was great because everything went to shit and you got the sense that anyone could die at any moment. The show needs another few episodes like that to thin out the cast. Kill off Glen, Rick, Carol, Sasha and Maggie. The cast at this point is ridiculous.

Walking_Dead_Season_5_Cast.jpg

This cast is too big. We lost Bob and Beth but gained the preacher and Noah so the group has remained the same size.

They're building some semblance of a community, it's gonna have a large number of people.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
you think the cast in The Walking Dead has gotten ridiculous? lolwat

A lot of those people weren't on the show at the same time. And what the fuck are Nikki and Paulo doing on there? If you're going to include Nikki and Paulo, you've got to include all the cops in the hospital on TWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom