• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top Five Current Gen Games ( PS5, XSX, Switch )

1) Halo Infinite - Still for me the best current gen game and also for me the best singleplayer Halo, I just wished they were more variety in the environments

2) Sonic Frontiers - Just running around this ICO/SOTC like worlds is a joy and some of the big boss battles, are amazing

3) Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Gets so overlooked one of the best 3D platform games ever made and looks stunning on the PS5. Both SONY and MS really missed a trick not buying Sumo Digital.

4) RE 8: Villiage - Not quite as good as Part 7, but like how RE 2 built on RE and made the maps bigger, this does for the same from RE7. Stunning environments, fantastic puzzles and that baby boss, is one of the best ever moments in gaming,.

5) Star Wars: Jedi Survivor - A wonderful big massive adventure with massive environments and maps

- Demon's Souls Remake
- Elden Ring
- Astro's Playroom
- Returnal
- Witcher 3 next gen patch

(Still haven't played RE4R and Dead Space Remake)

NahaNago

I've played so few games this gen so I'd go with
  • stray
  • hogwarts legacy
  • final fantasy16
  • ratchet and clank
  • the tmnt game
I did play Demon Souls Remake and thought it looked impressive but I don't like souls games. Simply bought it to see the next gen visuals just like I did with killzone for ps4.

Zheph

Returnal
Returnal
Returnal
Returnal
Returnal

or

Returnal
Elden Ring
Final Fantasy XVI
Cyberpunk
Chained Echoes

Okay so if we're talking about games that have arrived after PS5/XSX released then my top 5 would look like this I think:

1. Returnal
2. Zelda TotK
3. Elden Ring
4. Remnant 2
5. FF7 Remake Intergrade

Special mentions: Forza Horizon 5, Atelier Ryza 3, Neon White, Tunic, Octopath Traveler 2 and Demons Souls Remake.

Last edited:

drganon

In no particular order

Totk
Ff16
Xenoblade 3
Like a Dragon Ishin
Cyberpunk

Honorable mentions: Star Ocean 6, GoW Ragnarok, Horizon FW, and some more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Labadal

In no particular order (I can't pick just 5!):

-Octopath Traveler I & II
-Baldur's Gate III
-Jagged Alliance 3
-Like A Dragon: Ishin!
-TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children
-Path of Wuxia (fan/machine translated)
-Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos
-Yakuza: Like A Dragon
-Caves of Lore
-The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
-Solasta: Crown of the Magisters
-Bravely Default 2
-Dungeon Encounters

-Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos (Gothic 2 total conversion mod)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
When it comes to current gen games developed and released only for PS5 / XSX (Switch is not even past gen, I'm sorry) and me personaly - Baldur's Gate 3 and nothing else so far. Nothing comes close all aspects in each of the games I've played over the last ~3 combined into a single and very satifying whole. Some games lacking good story and characters, but good in something else, some good at story and characters, but lacking in gameplay department and so on. Baldur's Gate 3, on the other hand, great in 95-97% of what it has to offer (story, characters, writhing, lore, gameplay, combat, presentation for a CRPG etc. etc. etc.) and only lacking in polish of some visual aspects of the game's presentation and surely the game's release date (one month early than what was originally planned) is to blame for all this more than anything else.

Maybe Prime 4 will be the next best thing in years, but that's not current gen and still remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

- Binding of Isaac: Repentance (March 21 release so yeah it’s next gen)
- Forza Horizon 5
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Bayonetta 3
- Cyberpunk (not on release though)

Shtof

Horizon Forbidden West - Zero Dawn had amazing potential, but the tech of the PS5 really let the sequel shine
Elden Ring - Once every few years, a game comes along that is so monumental it is almost impossible to understand how the devs were able to pull it off
Deathloop - This game is just annoying for the first 5-10 hours. After that it is super fun and one of the most pleasant surprises.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - We got a new mainline Ratchet game after 12 years. And it had no right being this good
God of War: Ragnarok - Hey, it's God of War and it's still entertaining. Egyptian mythology or Christianity for the next game?

Alpha Male

It's impossible for me to pick just 5:

Horizon Forbidden West
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Flight Sim
God of War Ragnarok
Tears of the Kingdom
Elden Ring
Far Cry 6
Immortals Fenix Rising
Jedi Survivor
Hogwarts Legacy
Age of Wonders 4
Spiderman Miles Morales
Riders Republic
Mass Effect Legendary
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
Age of Empires 2
Gran Turismo 7

Last edited:

simpatico

This thread is an amazing critique on the current gen. Vast majority of titles mentioned here are cross gen. Never seen anything like it in gaming history. MS and Sony have no one to blame but themselves because they've made all their heavy hitters cross gen. That's not going to make Joe Normie run out and buy your $500 box. He can still play Halo Infinite and GOW Rang on his last gen consoles. I hope this does not become the norm moving forward. It really retards tech advancements in gaming.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
This thread is an amazing critique on the current gen. Vast majority of titles mentioned here are cross gen. Never seen anything like it in gaming history. MS and Sony have no one to blame but themselves because they've made all their heavy hitters cross gen. That's not going to make Joe Normie run out and buy your $500 box. He can still play Halo Infinite and GOW Rang on his last gen consoles. I hope this does not become the norm moving forward. It really retards tech advancements in gaming.
I blame the Wii U's failure and the advent of the XSS.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
God of War: Ragnarok
Horizon: Forbidden West
SIFU
The Last of Us: Part 1
Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Last edited:

FeralEcho

1.The Legend of Zelda BOTW
2.Final Fantasy 16
3.Demon's Souls Remake
4.Resident Evil Village
5.Bayonetta 3

Baldur's Gate 3,Tears of the Kingdom,Elden Ring and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will change the list a tad once i get time to play them.

Genuinely surprised after how hyped i was about it,how little I care now of GOW Ragnarok,i cant even put it in my top 10 When i think of all the games that deserve that spot.When I'm in the mood for God of War i just boot up my PS3 and rock the old classics.

Edit 2: I forgot RE8 was this gen.I uodated my top 5.

Last edited:
All the Returnal love in this thread makes me incredibly happy. Easily my favorite of this gen.

The next 4 in no particular order: Psychonauts 2, Cultic, Hades, and Elden Ring.

Honorable mention to Doom Eternal and Turbo Overkill.

Last edited:
Far better games early on this generation imo.

I hate to say this though, but I do not consider God of War Ragnarok a current gen game only. A current gen game only would be something that's not available on previous gen platforms.

Obviously I loved titles like GoW Ragnarok and Elden Ring but they are not exclusive to the current gen machines. I haven't played Dead Space Remake yet and that's current gen. RE4 Remake I haven't played either and it looks amazing but cross gen.

This transition period is weird.

Current games I really enjoyed so far are

Elden Ring
God of War Ragnarok
Diablo 4
Returnal
Demon's Souls

Many and many more. I don't believe it possible for me to pick just 5.

Last edited:

Aion002

Current gen only:

1. FFXVI.
2. Demon's Souls Remake.
3. Flight Simulator
4. Horizon FW Burning Shores
5. FFVII Remake Intergrade

oji-san

Banned
Almost 3 years of 60fps on consoles was all worth it, to me.

oji-san

Banned
Very hard to choose only 5 and i'm kinda going to cheat with the first one but i did play it on PS5.

1. The Last of Us 2
2. AC Valhalla
3. Ghost of Tsushima
4. God of War Ragnarok (despite the plot)
5. Halo Infinite

Wish i could add more games like Cyberpunk 2077, Metro Exodus and Atomic Heart. And i didn't even yet to play Hogwarts Legacy and FF XVI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom