• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top Five Current Gen Games ( PS5, XSX, Switch )

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
1. Live A Live Remake (Switch) - On my 6th playthrough, almost perfect aside from the grid based system.

2. Relayer (PS5) Very action packed , and a breath of fresh air in a RPG dominated market. Best story telling in any game I've played in quite some time.
It has some real Xenosaga vibes, which I love.

3. GTA : The Definitive Edition (PS5) - Game is addicting as hell, always fun to turn America into a cesspool state lol.

4. Astro's Playroom (PS5) - Near Perfection, Took me a few hours to get into it, though.

5. Somerville (XSX) - Imo, the current standard for any adventure game.

Last edited:
1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2/3/Future Redeemed (Switch) - Loved the cast for each game. Graphically each game looks fantastic, I would say the 2nd game only issues is the Graphical hiccups when it comes to framerate. But for each game I tried to do Every sidequests and max grind my levels. The story for Xenoblade 2/3/Future Redeemed is fantastic. The score for each of those game is memorable. The world design is interesting and unique. The story for each of those games have good twists. The gameplay is fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what Monolith Soft can do when it comes to making games for Switch 2

2. Kuro No Kiseki (Steam)- Bought the Korean Version off of Steam and I downloaded the fully translated English Fan Patch. Funny enough there was only 2 lines in the game that didn't get translated and that was from a sidequest. The best game and cast since the TITS Trilogy. Story is phenomenal and has actual stakes. The world building is second to none. The plot throws some unexpected twists in the mix. Surprisedly the game goes to some dark places for a Trails game. The OST is one of the best I heard in the franchise. I'm glad I didn't wait for a official western release due to NIS America most likely censoring the game due to certain elements. Especially the Sexy DLC which I bought and put the females in lol. Now I have to wait till Kuro No Kiseki II is fully translated to English by these fan translation groups and than I'll be playing that immediatey

3. Star Ocean 6 (Steam)- Best Star Ocean since Star Ocean 4. I don't play Star Ocean for the story and cast. I play it for the gameplay. The gameplay in this one is fast and fluid. I loved to explore the world using the VATS System. Item Creation was fun. Overall a great experience

4. Luigi Mansion 3 (Switch)- One of the best games on Switch. Each floor looks beautiful and extremely detailed. They did the work to make each floor distinct from each other. The Animations for everything was on another level too. Each boss was fun to figure out how to beat. Music wise, it's fantastic, has alot of audio cues and sound effects to Try to scare Luigi. Battling against the ghost was fun. I beat all the Boos and collected every gem from every floor. Overall I consider this game to be in my Top 10/Top 5 Switch games of all time

5. Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)- One of the first games I played on Switch. I loved exploring and getting all the upgrades. The combat is fun and the bosses were fun to try to beat. Musically sounded fantastic. I love the graphics of this game, the 2D Look made the game look smooth and the game ran great. This is still my favorite Metriodvania

Last edited:

Markio128

I struggle to choose 5 alone tbh. No particular order - well, GT7 is defo no.1, but the rest are fairly equal. I’ve chosen these ones because all have had a multiple play-through/still playing now.

GT7
BOTW
Horizon FW
Beat Saber
Disco Elysium

Last edited:
1. Live A Live Remake (Switch) - On my 6th playthrough, almost perfect aside from the grid based system.

2. Relayer (PS5) Very action packed , and a breath of fresh air in a RPG dominated market. Best story telling in any game I've played in quite some time.
It has some real Xenosaga vibes, which I love.

3. GTA : The Definitive Edition (PS5) - Game is addicting as hell, always fun to turn America into a cesspool state lol.

4. Astro's Playroom (PS5) - Near Perfection, Took me a few hours to get into it, though.

5. Somerville (XSX) - Imo, the current standard for any adventure game.

BTW Live A Live really surprised me. It's in my Top 10 for Switch. As for the grid based battle system, I found it fun and addicting

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’d have to see the full list of games I guess, because so much good stuff has occurred . Using some of what I saw above :

Celeste
Disco Elysium
Elden Ring
Diablo 2 Resurrected
Zelda TOTK

No particular order and I’m sure the list is incorrect if some of these don’t count.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
1. Metroid Dread
2. Zelda totk
3. Zelda botw
4. Mario odyssey
5. HI FI Rush

I struggle to choose 5 alone tbh. No particular order - well, GT7 is defo no.1, but the rest are fairly equal. I’ve chosen these ones because all have had a multiple play-through/still playing now.

GT7
BOTW
Horizon FW
Beat Saber
Disco Elysium

TOTK
Diablo 2 Resurrected
Elden Ring
Baldur's Gate 3
BOTW

For the love of...

skDjBgH.jpg

So many people having a previous generation port of a title as the best this gen has to offer...

Truly this generation is lost.

SenkiDala

1) FFVII Remake Intergrade (PS5)
2) Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5)
3) Octopath Travelers II (PS5)
4) Resident Evil Village (PS5)
5) FFVII Crisis Core Reunion (PS5)

As I'm writing this I laugh at people blaming for "console waring" against PlayStation. :)

(Also many games I liked on Switch, Metroid Dread is a pure gem, Forza Horizon 5 is my to go chill game, Vampire Survivors that I played on XSX (it runs no problem at native 4K60fps), Luigi's Mansion 3 is my favorite of the series, and so on).

Switch has been part of last gen longer than current gen, so this all feels pretty wishy-washy...
I dunno, I guess I'll go with releases of the last two and a half years...

1. Metroid Prime Remastered
2. Demon's Souls
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Dead Space
5. TMNT: Shredder's Revenge

Gaming wasn't so great since the pandemic, but hey, at least some classics have proven that they remain badass games to this day, compared to some of the other content that's been focus tested to hell and back.

Last edited:

Fbh

Switch makes this thread weird as It adds not only Nintendo games but a bunch of stuff like Hollow Knight which I consider to be "last gen" since it also launched on ps4.
But anyway:

Elden Ring: Everything I like about souls games in an awesome open world that was a Joy to Explore

Breath of the Wild: I guess TotK is technically better but BotW was the breath of fresh air Open worlds needed after years of everyone basically emulating the Ubisoft Formula

Chained Echoes: Best JRPG-style game in ages. Takes everything I like about old school JRPG's, removes the bad parts (grind, random encounters, etc) and adds some cool ideas of its own

Hollow Knight: Best metroidvania, love the setting, art style, great combat and awesome boss battles. One thing that really sets it apart is how willing the devs were to have a lot of content be easy to miss, it makes the exploration amazing as you aren't just finding small hidden rooms but entire new areas, new bosses, tons of lore, gear, etc.

Hades: The game that finally sold me on Rogue-lites. Great combat, visuals and music and the variety of power ups and builds kept me going back a gain and again.

Honorable mention: Guardians of the Galaxy. The gameplay kinda sucked which is why it's not on the list, but the visuals were nice and I really enjoyed the story, characters and writing. The plot itself was better than any MCU movies, the Insomniac Spider Man games or Rocksteady Arkham games IMO

Last edited:

Codes 208

1. Elden Ring
2. TotK
3. Phasmophobia
4. Pokemon legends arceus
5. GoW:R

Honorable mentions: demon souls remake, miles morales, bowsers fury, mario odyssey, botw, links awakening remake, splatoon 2 & 3

Isnt Swith last gen ?
Technically yes but nintendo operates on their own timeline, the wii u is technically last gen too since it started off the eighth gen

Plus the switch is still relevant so why not count it?

Zuzu

I haven’t thought too deeply about it but off the top of my head I’d say:

- Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade (PS5 version)
- God of War Ragnarok (PS5 version)
- The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5 version)
- Breath of the Wild
- Metroid Dread

No particular order

Once I play through Tears of the Kingdom BOTW might be bumped off the list or another game might be removed.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not understanding the OP but most of the folks here are posting cross-gen games... It's late anyway here so I'll post tomorrow my current-gen only list and cross-gen list.

Is it okay to pick PC exclusive games that came out during PS5/XBX lifetime?
I think y'all are over-thinking it all. I suppose if it's on current systems, it's a go.

If anything is to be taken away from this thread, it's the lack of true, new gen games available right now on SX, PS5 and PC.

damidu

ok if only current gen, it gets tricky. but ill try

1 BG3
2 returnal
3 anno1800
4 ff16
5 totk

wow really struggled with 4 and 5, maybe the gen really hasnt started lol.
and everyone is listing cross-gen stuff

Returnal
FFXVI
Spiderman remastered & Miles Morales
Resident evil village and re4
Demon's souls

Nice to see a lot of You love returnal, amazing Game.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Deadly Premonition 2(unpatched)
Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the the Dragons
Astral Chain
Live-A-Live
Sonic Frontiers

Best I can do

Robb

Gold Member
5 Switch games with Psychonauts 2, Hi-Fi Rush and Astro’s Playroom as honorable mentions.

Last edited:

marcincz

Astro's Playroom (PS5)
Synth Riders Remastered (PSVR2)
Horizon Call of the Mountain (PSVR2)
God of War Ragnarök (PS5)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (NS)

Honorable mentions:
Gran Turismo 7 (PS5/PSVR2)
Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS5)
Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox)

Top Bottom