• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Playstation console/portable ? And WHY ?

What's your all time favorite Playstation console (or portable) ?

• PS1

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • PS2

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • PS3

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • PS4

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • PS5

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • PSP (portable)

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • PS VITA (portable)

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters

RayBoy

ps2-startup.gif

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'd have to go with the Vita. Perfect form, a brilliant games library, it played retro stuff and it was portable. What more could you want..

(Apart from the crappy memory card situation)

stn

If we count backwards compatibility, then PS5 is my top pick since it also plays PS4. PS2 comes next.

Codes 208

Ps4 is what converted me from xbox/nintendo only to ps4/nintendo/pc. Between exclusives finally hitting my interest on the ps side (destiny being ps focused, better performance, exclusives like gow4 and bloodborne) plus ms had dropped the ball hard with the xbox one launch. I guess you could say i found the ps4 to be the better successor to the 360 than the actual xbox successor.

solidus12

I love the PS3. That console was so ahead of its time.

Blu-ray player + Wifi + audio video playback + photo viewer + internet browser + so much more.

Full backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 games.

You could also download and store your PSP and Vita games on your PS3.

And the games omg so many great games:

Killzone 2
Uncharted 2
Little big planet
MGS4
God of War 3
The Last of Us
Sly cooper
Ratchet and Clank
Resistance
Puppeteer

Yeah it was a bitch to make games on that system, but I believe that the PS3 made SIE and its studios the juggernaut they are today.

Aion002

Ps2.

The Ps1 is amazing, but the ps2 is just a little above for me.

Best console ever in my opinion.

So many new IP's like: Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Shadow Hearts, Kuon, Radiata Stories, Way of The Samurai, Kingdom Hearts, Rogue Galaxy, Siren and many others that I ejoyed so much. Also, so many older ips that got amazing games on ps2, like: Resident Evil, Ace Combat, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Persona, Tekken, Suikoden, Tenchu, Winning Eleven and others.

The first time I saw MGS2, the first time I played Way of The Samurai and the first time I played online Resident Evil Outbreak are just things that I will never forget.

Aenima

PS2

It was my 1st Playstation console, i dont even bought it, won one in a contest. I had a Xbox during that gen, that slowly was getting less atention as the games on PS2 started taking all my time and interest. By the end of the gen i had played so many gems on PS2 that moving forward decided to just stick with Playstation consoles.

It remains my favorite console cuz introduced me to so many great IPs, some im still a big fan today.

Thanks, it's a collection i have had for a long time now. It's an era that cemented my love of many genres. Japan's PS1 library is insane compared to the west there are so many totally hidden & unknown games in there even now i still come across hidden ones.
I have a collection too, and totally agree with you. The only usa ps1 game that i have is Jackie Chan Stuntmaster! All the rest is jp only!

fart town usa

Gold Member
When I see these threads I take it at face value; favorite console? PS3 for me.

However, my favorite PS software library? PSX all day.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The newest one is my fav. All the new tech (especially for the price) is amazing and the game selection is fantastic.

K2D

Banned
I think it goes

1. PS2 (library, descrete dvd player)
2. Ps1 (library, descrete cd player)
3. Ps4 (indies, OS features)
4. Ps5 (..., load times)
5. PS3 (exclusives, blu-ray player)
6. Vita
7. PSP

Pejo

PS3. The launch Phat version had hardware emulation for PS2 games, it had a real vision for what they wanted to do, and the Cell was at least ambitious if not hard to develop for. In my mind, it was the last console that actually felt like a console instead of a proprietary PC.

Home was a neat idea, as was folding@home. PS3-era Sony took chances, and the library had a ton of exclusives that all tried different things and hit different niches. Not everything was a hit, but that's besides the point. I think PS4 is where they started really playing it safe, and with PS5 there's virtually not a single uncalculated risk in any part of the ecosystem anymore.

fart town usa

Gold Member
If u like the psx library of games more...Should be psx, right? Im intrigued! Lol
I meant like when I see what's your favorite CONSOLE, I think in terms of the console itself, not so much the library. That's why I said PS3 for console and the PSX for software.

However, PS3 covers both bases in a way cause it can natively play PSX discs (though a handful of games aren't compatible, Vampire Hunter D comes to mind).

diffusionx

Gold Member
I voted PSP just because I still think it's a wonderful little system with an incredible list of games, I still play it to this day. But my love for the PSX is just about on the same level. PS2, not far behind but I didn't play it as much just because I was in college at the time. I did end up getting around to many of the system's top games but also missed quite a few.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I remember waiting outside in the freezing cold at 2 or 3AM in the morning, camping for a ticket to get a PS2. I had never experienced anything like that for a console. PS2 hype was huge. I remember getting that thing home a bunch of launch games. The blue packaging. The impact had of the 3D graphics had been spoiled slightly by the dreamcast. But games like FFX, Onimusha, Devil My Cry, GTA3 which came later. FFXI online. Obviously, it was the SNES to the NES, but gaming was changed in 2000/2001. The flu I got was worth the wait.

PSP follows next, those games in my hands! It was amazing.

PSbigfan

Neo Member
PS2 ,why because I was happy with my life in that time, and GOW RE 4 and MGS3.

Last edited:

radewagon

PSVita is life. Is it the best? Of course not. But it needs our love and support. Lord knows Sony didn't give it any.

PS1, PS2 was great about games library but I choose PS4 because you can play almost everything here. A lot of remake, remasters and you can attach external HDD for any capacity you want with cheap price.

PS5 was better than PS4 of course but size was too big and expensive SSD.

Sojiro

I have to give it up to the PS1, even over the PS2. I love the JRPGs on the PS1, especially at that time when I played them more than I do now, and I feel like they were stronger on the PS1 than the PS2. I also like all the weird experimental games that launched on the PS1, granted a lot of them were janky as shit, but I still love that then new 3D period of just figuring out what works. The PS1 is only tied with SNES as my favorite consoles of all time.

kunonabi

Ps1 with PS2 a close second. Horror and rpgs are typically why I play on Playstation and PS3-PS5 mostly suck in those regards and the PS3 was just shit in general. PS4/5 also don't have much have of an identity and I use them mostly because I hate playing games on PC more than anything else.

Last edited:

Filben

PS5. As someone who was mainly a PC gamer since 1999 there was significant drawbacks from multiplatform titles on consoles. When the HD ready consoles arrived I've already been playing at 1080p and 60fps for years. Loading times due to SSDs were significantly faster on PC (I remember testing TW3 with 1min10sec on PS4 vs PC with 10sec). No thank you, PS4.

With the PS5, however, the gap between console and PC performance and visual quality is on an all time low. Loading times are finally ultra fast, the UI is responsive (that store on PS4...) , it has BC and overall is just a great console for the price tag.

SkylineRKR

Probably PS1.

Its the memories. And more people were playing couch co-op back then. We had great sessions playing Tekken, Tony Hawk, Driver, Soul Edge etc. We even set up a link cable sometimes, and then we would play Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Red Alert. We went crazy over releases back then, the hype was different. I would have a JP copy of Bushido Blade 2 and my friends were like, wtf, there is a sequel? Today we take all releases for granted and you have easy access to everything.

Hudo

Playstation 2 was peak Sony. Best first-party support and lineup, good launch lineup, outstanding build quality, was a good DVD player, Dual Shock 2 is still the best controller Sony have made.

angrod14

PS5. PS4 backwards compatibility makes it the straight GOAT. The hardware is silent, powerful, with cutting edge memory; the UI is beautiful, fast, snappy, and PSN is at its peak.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I voted PSP just because I still think it's a wonderful little system with an incredible list of games, I still play it to this day. But my love for the PSX is just about on the same level. PS2, not far behind but I didn't play it as much just because I was in college at the time. I did end up getting around to many of the system's top games but also missed quite a few.
Not sure if it applies to PSP but PSPgo has the ability to output PSX games at 240p. Trinitron w/ component cables. Man, the pixels just POP. Absolutely love that feature. 🙌

Brigandier

PS1 for me, it was the console that really got me into gaming, Tekken 2 and 3, FF7 8 9, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Star Ocean 2, Ridge/Rage Racer, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Broken Sword 1 and 2

It had everything and I spent so much time playing game after game, The same can be said about all playstation consoles but the PS1 was where it all began and nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Yeah, I bought mine only a couple of months ago and even though I was hesitant to buy an old handheld when I have so many games to play on stationary hardware, I'm actually super happy that I did buy it. I managed to catch up on multiple Vita exclusives already, and I've also been working my way through a backlog of old PSP and PS1 games, and I've been having an absolute blast doing it.

What a wonderful little piece of hardware this is. I'm glad that I only spent 180 bucks on it instead of dumping 800 bucks into Steam Deck or something like that.
Twist of Doom: I got the Steamdeck last year, put the Complete Edition of Isaac on it... Now my Hands go prickly and numb even faster :D

jlethal27

Neo Member
Personally, I feel that the PS5 is currently the weakest of the numbered consoles. I agree with everything you wrote, but i feel its missing that one game(s) that offers a generational experience.
Time is a beautiful thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the PS2 just for the fact that it functions as a PSX as well. JRPGs were my bread and butter back then so this had it in spades. Also other fun titles like Katamari, DMC, MGS, Disgaea, all manner of good stuff. My PSX and PS2 library are some of the biggest that I have. Great times.

fallingdove

PS1 > PS5 > PS2 > PS3 > PS4

PS4 would have ranked much higher but the PS5 is basically a PS4 Pro Pro and I love the near elimination of load screens.

Honestly, if Sony released a PS5 pro with Xbox-like BC that could play all previous generations games, I could probably give up the future of gaming. I’m not a big fan of where things are headed.

I can’t choose between PS1 and PS2. You literally can play anything on those consoles. PS4 is my least favorite console. All games feel the same.

Top Bottom