• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 PCSX2 emulator: 99% PS2 games now Playable!

Papa_Wisdom

Outrun C2C has a fairly good Pc and a PSP version. No need to emulate the PS2 one.

I skipped the PS2 entirely and it may sound even ridiculous to ask this, but has the PS2 any real unmissable exclusive between all of the recent remasters and collections?

Some real good hidden gems ok, but big games?

Gran Turismo, Ace combat...
Have you downloaded the fxt patch I think it is for outrun on the pc? Makes the game a lot better!

Reactions: Gp1

Papa_Wisdom

I stand corrected on sega rally, I forgot that they released some of there games on pc as well as Saturn at the time, it’s a shame they didn’t do it more at the time though! Didn’t they do virtua fighter 2 as well? Do you know how that stands up today compared to other versions?

linko9

Did they ever fix the massive input lag? Last I tried this emulator was a few years ago, and their official response was that they were aware of the issue, and had no intention of addressing it. Hope that has changed-- granted this was before VRR and when windows required true fullscreen for reasonable input lag.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I stand corrected on sega rally, I forgot that they released some of there games on pc as well as Saturn at the time, it’s a shame they didn’t do it more at the time though! Didn’t they do virtua fighter 2 as well? Do you know how that stands up today compared to other versions?
Actually, the PS2 version can run at 60 fps so it's worthy over the native pc version.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The PC ports were generally based on the Sega Saturn versions instead of arcade so still heavily downgraded and inferior/different to the actual arcade Model 2 based ports released later as Sega Ages on PS2 or wherever. Same for Sega Rally 2 being based on Dreamcast instead of Model 3 later.

Maybe some have been cleaned up a bit with mods but I doubt they reach the arcade versions. Ie, I doubt Virtua Fighter 2 has modded 3D stages back in the game (though the port actually already had the option to choose between the Saturn and original arcade character model quality).​

Last edited:

SenkiDala

What is the source? I haven't seen any recent announcements about an upcoming update on the PCSX2 discord.

Having said that, it's already great, just a few minor glitches on a few games. But if there is a confirmed update coming, that would be awesome to iron out remaining issues.

Fret Runner

Only game I've ever had trouble with, and still do to this day, is Ghosthunter. No matter what I try it just won't play in a stable manner.
Sucks cause it's one of my fave games and will never get a remaster or anything.

sachos

Im so grateful to emulator developers, insane amount of work. 6th gen games look amazing when upscaled to 4K, its the perfect mix between modern and classic gaming imo, and the recent GUI upgrades to PCSX2 make it much easier to use plus the cover art library is beautiful.

Reactions: Gp1

CamHostage

Only game I've ever had trouble with, and still do to this day, is Ghosthunter. No matter what I try it just won't play in a stable manner.
Sucks cause it's one of my fave games and will never get a remaster or anything.

I think 24: The Game has/had similar issues emulating. They did some unusual tech stuff at that studio. (I believe Primal is fully playable though, so there is that; Primal is also on PSN.)

Last edited:

Drew1440

The game was very quirky on an actual PS2, I remember weird black lines used to appear on the screen during heavy/intense areas instead of dropping the framerate.

skyfall

Best emulator out there

Still use it to play this from time to time:
The_Getaway_PS2.jpg

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What's your point?
The vid shows exactly what i said. PC version, and all HD versions are crap compared to original ps2.
Yeah. Some FEW effects missing (gladly some like crap DoF) vs all the benefits added makes it crap. Next you will tell that the third person camera mod is crap too.

SenkiDala

That is for the current compatibility list.

The article in the OP is suggesting a big update is coming soon to further boost compatibility, what is their source?
The OP says 99% of PS2 games are playable, this is even the title, if you count on the official compatibly list, 97.92 playable and 1.23 perfect is above 99%. I just think that the article of OP is a bit late, it's been 99% since long.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Got a new tablet recently with a Snapdragon 8 gen2 and i've tried AetherSX2 :

I really, really want to get into emulation again but it's all the usual problems that keep me from doing so...
You have games like Shadow of Rome or DMC3 for example running almost flawlessly while others like Outrun2 running at 10fps where you have to enter the emu's settings and faff with some VERY specific options as to have it run at an acceptable framerate.Then you have - say - Gungrave Overdose where it's just a black screen with broken textures and geometry here and there while the sound plays in the background.
Then there's also various bugs like distorted/warped textures/shadows, sound glitches, weird geometry in many games etc etc which drag the whole experience down.

I thought that i'd revisit some PS2 classics via the emulator but it's just too time consuming in the end gents having to find the proper settings for each game, fiddling with the emu's settings each and every time etc - it's absolutely not "plug n play".

Now, either i'm doing something wrong, or, AetherSX isn't as good as the latest PCSX2 versions, either way , it's way too time consuming and i don't know if i have the time or the will for that dammit.

Any insights/info/input would be appreciated, cheers ;)
Consoles are "plug n play", emulators are not. Full stop.

Also, Android emulation above PS1 is still not nearly on par with PC, so ymmv. Also, also, you are using a device that will throttle PS2 in pretty short order. Also,also,also, you are using an abandoned version of AetherSX2. Here's the NetherSx2 patch to update a bunch of things, but tbh, it sounds like you can't be bothered with it, haha.

4c0d7c87d5e05125982727ae4c725e89.gif

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Consoles are "plug n play", emulators are not. Full stop.

Also, Android emulation above PS1 is still not nearly on par with PC, so ymmv. Also, also, you are using a device that will throttle PS2 in pretty short order. Also,also,also, you are using an abandoned version of AetherSX2. Here's the NetherSx2 patch to update a bunch of things, but tbh, it sounds like you can't be bothered with it, haha.

4c0d7c87d5e05125982727ae4c725e89.gif

Thanks for the input man 😉
I've been using emus for the past 20+ years so I know that it's never been "plug n play" as I mentioned, it's just that I've been hearing so many good things about PCSX2 these past few years plus, my tab is pretty powerful and...I don't know what i expected to be honest since - I'll admit - I don't know the intricacies of each emu's version etc etc.

Will give a look at the link that you posted, thanks 🙏

Top Bottom