• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Playstation console/portable ? And WHY ?

What's your all time favorite Playstation console (or portable) ?

• PS1

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • PS2

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • PS3

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • PS4

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • PS5

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • PSP (portable)

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • PS VITA (portable)

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters
Sony-PlayStation-Consoles-Ranked-2023.jpg

I know, it's hard. But my favorite is the PS2...Man, theres so many good games, for all tastes. I still discover ps2 games, the library is absolutely INSANE!
Memorable games, not only 3 or 4, but A LOT of masterpieces. For me, still unmatched...

Your turn! Vote! And...;
If you want to justify your vote, will be great for the thread! :D

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
PS2 is the GOAT…. But PS3 is my favourite.

That generation shaped my tastes today, and the style of games I like really took off.

And game design hasn’t evolved since that gen. Been the same exact shit since.

That says something

Last edited:
PS2 is the GOAT…. But PS3 is my favourite.

That generation shaped my tastes today, and the style of games I like really took off.

And game design hasn’t evolved since that gen. Been the same exact shit since.

That says something
I love PS3 too...But we need to pick one, lol.
Tell me some ps3 games that you love and was/is memorable to you ?

gimmmick

PS4 is my favorite Sony console of all time. First time Sony ever had the edge over everyone else in specs and the games were flat out amazing from its first party studios. Dual Shock 4 is the goat with it not having the same issues the dual sense has with the drifting.

Though my ps2 collection is still leaps and bounds more impressive and what I have present day. Maybe it was because I was in HS / College when the system released.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
PS2 and not difficult at all to make that choice. Tough draw between PS1 but it was such a huge improvement on console gaming.

kiphalfton

PS2, because it was the first PS console I had and also because of how many iconic series there are on it:

- Kingdom Hearts
- Devil May Cry
- Jak and Daxter
- Ratchet and Clank
- God of War

So many others.

bender

What time is it?
Tough. PSP has my favorite Hot Shot Golf Games and Peace Walker. Vita had the last great Hot Shots Golf game and Persona 4. Both deserve mention but the battle is between PSOne and PS2. I'd probably go with the PSOne with Tenchu, FF7, FFTactics, Suikoden 2, Vagrant Story, MGS, SOTN. RE/RE2, Xenogears and probably a jillion other titles I'm forgetting. PS2 needs a shout out for MGS3, SSX and the Team Ico games and again, a jillion other titles.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ps5 by a landslide. Very good price, contemporary class meeting graphics, modern front end, super fast loading, great games, and first good playstation controller ever.

But I'm hoping my new favorite will be the next playstation portable. Come on Sony......if u have time for psvr2 you have time for this.....

Disco Dave

PS2. It was such a leap over previous the gen. My first games for it were Jak and Daxter, Silent Hill 2 and MGS 2. The visual clarity in MGS2 was so far above MGS1.

I remember hiding in a closet and seeing Pyramid Head for the first time in Silent Hill 2. The lighting via the flash light was unlike anything that I had seen.

Disco Dave

Ps5 by a landslide. Very good price, contemporary class meeting graphics, modern front end, super fast loading, great games, and first good playstation controller ever.

But I'm hoping my new favorite will be the next playstation portable. Come on Sony......if u have time for psvr2 you have time for this.....
Personally, I feel that the PS5 is currently the weakest of the numbered consoles. I agree with everything you wrote, but i feel its missing that one game(s) that offers a generational experience.

PS1 and it isn't even close (though I've owned and loved all of them). The golden age of Squaresoft (FF7/8/9, Xenogears, FF TACTICS, Parasite Eve etc), MGS, SoTN, Tekken 3, Silent Hill, Crash Trilogy + CTR, SF Alpha 3, Resident fucking Evil, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, I could go on and on, multiple GOAT-tier games and the birth of *mega* franchises that are still going strong.

GametimeUK

PS3. Obviously the PS2 is a beast and helped lay some major foundations, but I feel PS3 is where we feel the "modern" game DNA that still exists in today's releases.

I just really appreciated the amount of high quality PS exclusives that released. Killzone 2 one minute, Uncharted 2 the next. New and creative IP's like Little Big Planet. Infamous just came out of the blue. I don't know what it was about the line up of games this generation for PS3, but it's the line up of games that are most iconic to me. Oh yeah and Demon's Souls.

Then there was the online multiplayer boom on consoles as more and more PS users were able to play online. The rise of digital indie titles and the fact my PS3 was a pretty sick media centre. Downloadable themes from users, backwards compatibility, amazing remasters came to the system.

With how much exciting stuff being connected online brought to games its such a shame that instead of a benefitting us with bug fixes that slipped through into the release or quality expansions for games, we ended up dealing with totally broken games to be fixed later and content cuts to sell us a chunk of the game later.

The potential was there this gen. I'm just lucky I wasn't sensitive to performance issues at the time because that potentially could have killed things for me.

Raonak

Banned
Can I do all of the above?

PS1 has an amazing classic library
PS2 has an amazing library in general
PS3 is where sony first party started becoming great
PS4 is where sony first party started becoming legendary and the console experience started becoming great
PS5 takes everything PS4 does and makes it way better plus the dual sense is the goat controller.

I'm gonna say PS5 because as a console, it's basically flawless. But for PS1/2/3 hit my nostalgia bone perfectly

Last edited:
If purely by library then it's a tossup between PS1 and PS2. Both had near flawless runs and were the backbone of what I consider the golden age of gaming.

Still I'd have to pick the Vita despite Sony not really giving it a chance. The gorgeous screen, possibly my favorite dpad of all time, access to the whole PS1 and PSP libraries, and an underrated library of it's own is what takes it for me.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Personally, I feel that the PS5 is currently the weakest of the numbered consoles. I agree with everything you wrote, but i feel its missing that one game(s) that offers a generational experience.

Well we still have some time.....3 or 4 years until it's on the PS6, so perhaps Sony will still make that happen.

NekoFever

This is one of those heart says one thing and head says another moments.

The PS2 had an incredible library and was much better hardware than the PS1, but god did I love all those janky ass weird experimental early 3D games. Ridiculous line-up of RPGs too. I have a lot of fond memories of the PS1 generation, particularly from being involved in the import scene so seeing some really weird shit.

Didn’t care for the PS3 at all, PS4 was good, PS5 decent so far but too early to say.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't care about the hardware as much as the period of time during which my favorite games were made, and it just so happens that the most compelling period of gaming history for me happened during the PS2 and PS3 days.

Side shoutout to the vita. I played no game more in my life than Binding of Isaac Rebirth on that little black gem. I get prickly hands from holding it up so long by just thinking back to it.

Impotaku

As much as i love nintendo platforms ps1 is equally up there as my most loved of the playstation systems. It's where rhythm games were born it's where some of the most unusual weird & quirky games were released, had a crazy amount of horror games & shmups there's literally something there for everyone. Sadly as each new playstation generation went on the weird & quirky experimental games became less & less it kind of peaked at PS2 & went downhill from, there.

My current PS1 library, will never sell my PS1 library i still play & appreciate it even after all this time, the games may look a little rough in 2023 but with a retrotink 5X they look fantastic
35TyZxL.jpg

gUjpv4X.jpg

zqGjNvE.jpg

0whggy0.jpg

ixDFQGf.jpg

4TIvhu8.jpg

00Yrnfn.jpg

xexVKNi.jpg

GUXPBig.jpg

at6M0K0.jpg

Z4kmuW1.jpg

bOiTmYp.jpg

Ma7sxf8.jpg

LZqd5oQ.jpg

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So I went for PS4 just because I enjoyed that console far more than anything else that gen.

See for the console generation's with playstation it went something like this.

1. N64
2. Dreamcast
3. Xbox 360
4. PS4
5. PS5

The issue is certainly enjoy my PS4 library more than what I have had access to on PS5 so far.

It was a tough call too because I loved my Vita as well along with my PSP. But I just have so many fond memories of PS4 titles.

1. PS2
2. PS4
3. PS1
4. PS3
5. PS5

PS5 is last because I haven't bought one as I've saw no reason to get one... I might get one next year. Got all the others the day/week they launched. PS2 is my all time favourite PS console and I still play on it now and then.

PSP wins because the Vita was so shit. I returned mine after a week.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Side shoutout to the vita. I played no game more in my life than Binding of Isaac Rebirth on that little black gem. I get prickly hands from holding it up so long by just thinking back to it.
Yeah, I bought mine only a couple of months ago and even though I was hesitant to buy an old handheld when I have so many games to play on stationary hardware, I'm actually super happy that I did buy it. I managed to catch up on multiple Vita exclusives already, and I've also been working my way through a backlog of old PSP and PS1 games, and I've been having an absolute blast doing it.

What a wonderful little piece of hardware this is. I'm glad that I only spent 180 bucks on it instead of dumping 800 bucks into Steam Deck or something like that.

1. PS2
2. PS4
3. PS1
4. PS3
5. PS5

PS5 is last because I haven't bought one as I've saw no reason to get one... I might get one next year. Got all the others the day/week they launched. PS2 is my all time favourite PS console and I still play on it now and then.

PSP wins because the Vita was so shit. I returned mine after a week.
Psp is my second favorite, so many exclusives (not only by Sony) and awesome games!

As much as i love nintendo platforms ps1 is equally up there as my most loved of the playstation systems. It's where rhythm games were born it's where some of the most unusual weird & quirky games were released, had a crazy amount of horror games & shmups there's literally something there for everyone. Sadly as each new playstation generation went on the weird & quirky experimental games became less & less it kind of peaked at PS2 & went downhill from, there.

My current PS1 library, will never sell my PS1 library i still play & appreciate it even after all this time, the games may look a little rough in 2023 but with a retrotink 5X they look fantastic
35TyZxL.jpg

gUjpv4X.jpg

zqGjNvE.jpg

0whggy0.jpg

ixDFQGf.jpg

4TIvhu8.jpg

00Yrnfn.jpg

xexVKNi.jpg

GUXPBig.jpg

at6M0K0.jpg

Z4kmuW1.jpg

bOiTmYp.jpg

Ma7sxf8.jpg

LZqd5oQ.jpg
That's AWESOME, for real! Im a jp games passionate, your collection is FIRE!

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

While ive reqlly enjoyed ALL Playstation home consoles (not a portable gamer), if im forced to pick just one, its still the GOAT, PS2. With PS4/5 close. My least favorite was ps3 by far.

Impotaku

That's AWESOME, for real! Im a jp games passionate, your collection is FIRE!
Thanks, it's a collection i have had for a long time now. It's an era that cemented my love of many genres. Japan's PS1 library is insane compared to the west there are so many totally hidden & unknown games in there even now i still come across hidden ones.

Top Bottom