• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite FMV game

The Commodore CDTV was a console based on the Amiga hardware. If you had the complete set-up, it was the coolest looking Amiga ever!

5116db15445937.5629121613f72.jpg
Only $3200 for all accessories upgrades, and at least 3 games.

Those games are a good example of how to use FMV in a video game. The games by the Myst guys are also a good example.
The key is to make the FMV more like an extra to the gameplay. The gameplay has to drive the game.

It is definitely worth it to get all the Tex Murphy games on gog.

Myst was horrible until Real-Myst came out, have no idea how that and the 7th guest were so popular.

Krathoon

Phantasmagoria
4.jpg
One of the problems with Phantasmagoria is that there is a lot of wondering around. They needed more interesting things in that game.
There are parts of that game where you have no idea what to do. The husband kind of vanishes. They probably should have did more with the husband unraveling.

Krathoon

Myst was horrible until Real-Myst came out, have no idea how that and the 7th guest were so popular.
Really, the fan made sequel beats out The 7th Guest. It is a truer sequel than The 11th Hour.
The later Myst games improve on the use of FMV.
Myst 4 is when it really shows it off.

Really, the fan made sequel beats out The 7th Guest. It is a truer sequel than The 11th Hour.
The later Myst games improve on the use of FMV.
Myst 4 is when it really shows it off.
Original Myst was basically slow rotation over Jpegs though, which was behind even earlier FMV adventure games, or drawn adventures games (Kings Quest V came out a year earlier iirc)

Krathoon

Original Myst was basically slow rotation over Jpegs though, which was behind even earlier FMV adventure games, or drawn adventures games (Kings Quest V came out a year earlier iirc)
I think Myst used Quicktime. The later games use FMV better. There is also that Obduction game they made.
Quicktime games used to be a thing way back in the Win 3.11 days.

The Siren games used video in a weird way. The face textures on the 3D models are actually video recordings of the actors.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I wonder if the gog version of Myst and Myst Masterpiece replaced the Quicktime player.
I think Quicktime is a security risk in Windows 10. Kind of weird for a video player.

I was reading around. It sounds like the gog version uses ScummVM.

Krathoon

Really, I am surprised that DVD pick a path adventures are not more of a thing.
I guess it is too much effort.
They need an interactive Marvel movie where everything goes wrong.

I think Myst used Quicktime. The later games use FMV better. There is also that Obduction game they made.
Quicktime games used to be a thing way back in the Win 3.11 days.

The Siren games used video in a weird way. The face textures on the 3D models are actually video recordings of the actors.
That's not really an excuse for OG Myst being basically a slide show when comparable games were not around the same time.

Krathoon

Myst V also uses that trick like Siren where the face texture is obtained by filming the real actor and then putting it on a polygonal model.

It was more experimental than I thought.

I was around 12-13 years old when the Phantasmagoria games released and of my cousin, 2 year older than me, played through them with me spectating. They definitely had some scenes that scared me at the time but now being almost 39 years old I can only see the lame acting and the lack of puzzles in these point and click adventure game.

Krathoon

I was around 12-13 years old when the Phantasmagoria games released and of my cousin, 2 year older than me, played through them with me spectating. They definitely had some scenes that scared me at the time but now being almost 39 years old I can only see the lame acting and the lack of puzzles in these point and click adventure game.
Yeah. They are really like B-movies. The first game needed more puzzles or a few more plot threads. Not allot happens around the middle of the game.

Majormaxxx

Rebel Assault was a great idea. I wish the targeting was better in the first one. They intentionally made it wobbly.
Not sure if intentional, but the controls were a challenge indeed. On the dos PC, I used both a mouse and a gamepad at the same time to keep the aim more accurate. On ps3 the dualshock worked pretty great. The sega mini also worked relatively well with a gamepad...

Havoc2049

Only $3200 for all accessories upgrades, and at least 3 games.
Are you adjusting for inflation? The base CDTV was $999 and the accessory pack that included the keyboard, mouse and disk drive was $200. Those black Commodore monitors (were they 1802?) couldn't have cost that much! 😁

Ultra Donny

Haven't played too many but Gabriel Knight 2, The Beast Whitin gave me some early good memories on our family's pentium in the 90's. 16 Meg ram really blowed my mind coming from Amiga 500.

Are you adjusting for inflation? The base CDTV was $999 and the accessory pack that included the keyboard, mouse and disk drive was $200. Those black Commodore monitors (were they 1802?) couldn't have cost that much! 😁
You're forgetting about the upgrade, and a few other accessories. Then add the monitors, and of course you need at least two "remotes" for multiplayer.

it was only Phantasmagoria one with the streamlined puzzle thing, they went the opposite route with 2 which did ok but not as well as one.

Honestly, people in general didn't like most adventure games for their puzzles, which aren't really vetted to see if the average player could figure out. OR they were made intentionally nonsense or difficult to sell guides, but surprisingly most were the former.

Ripper was a big seller, take 2's biggest game until GTA 3 iirc, and people were amazed by the graphics, the start casting, and the theme, but the puzzles were panned and were notoriously difficult. Even with a guide the FIRST puzzle irritates people enough with the pixel perfect reconstruction of a cracked mug.

Kings Quest and games like that from the late 80's and early 90's were popular due to early name recognition and their graphical improvements over time. However a lot of the best Adventure games had puzzles that were actually not a pain to figure out, which is why after Kings Quest V the popular point and clikcs were games going in the opposite direction.

Now in Phantasmagoria 1's case, it barely had "real" puzzles, it had a few choice situations that could throw you off but outside those it was incredibly streamlined which was popular with players who weren't into adventure games, but the games with more puzzles but not overly difficult were also taking off at this time.

I think Ripper only did well because of the elements I did above, because Take 2's next big multi-disc Adventure game Black Dhalia flopped.

CD-I's best selling and highest rated game Burn:Cycle, which is legitimately good outside that last puzzle, was popular for moving away from the "asshole difficulty" adventure setting, but it wasn't a cakewalk either. .

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I totally never heard of that one.
I played the hell out of that one!

The last boxer, the Champ, was a condescending pain in the ass because he was super nice and encouraging yet would utterly destroy you at the slightest mistake.

Krathoon

Yeah. Dragon's Lair and Space Ace are much better with the screen prompts.

The original in the arcade did not have that.

Krathoon

Here is a decent priced copy of Ripper if you want to buy it. $20.
For some weird reason, long a ago, a friend sold his copy to me. I always found that odd. I mean, it is a pretty good game.

Last edited:

Aenima

Gabriel Knight The Best Within or Phantamagoria 2

Phantamagoria 2 used to be my favorite game when i was a teen, but i think The Beast WIthin is a better game.

Top Bottom