• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami = Review Thread -

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Strange ShopTo has only charge me £16 for the steelbook version and £9 for RE:R HD.

Kaizer

Banned
Got an e-mail from Amazon saying my Steelbook wasn't gonna arrive til next Thursday, so I canceled it & just got the Regular Edition with Release Day shipping instead.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Got an e-mail from Amazon saying my Steelbook wasn't gonna arrive til next Thursday, so I canceled it & just got the Regular Edition with Release Day shipping instead.

Same here. I don't care much about steelbooks. It's a nice touch, but I can live without it. Besides, my Yakuza collection (JP and NA) are all standard editions. It would stand out anyway.

yak17ucn.png

woot!

The Steelbook arrived this morning, woot! Now i'm confident i'll have Mario + Rabbids by Wednesday next week, which will br fantastic as i have a few days off soon.

nikos

Started this last night. Picks up nicely from where Yakuza 0 left off.

From an initial impression, combat didn’t feel as fluid but that could be my memory not serving me well.

Haven’t played too much, but really excited to see where the story goes. Is it really about half the length of Yakuza 0’s?

mine arrived! haven't really got the time to play much at the moment, but I've started...

I was in Serena, and ... uh ... why are Yumi's hands so big?! once I noticed it, I couldn't stop looking...

LargeHands.PNG

LargeHands2.PNG

Started this last night. Picks up nicely from where Yakuza 0 left off.

From an initial impression, combat didn’t feel as fluid but that could be my memory not serving me well.

Haven’t played too much, but really excited to see where the story goes. Is it really about half the length of Yakuza 0’s?

The combat is basically exactly the same as 0's, I didn't find it any different when I did my playthrough. Probably just your memory ;)

Length wise the story is indeed shorter than 0, you can probably clear it in around 15 or so hours (maybe less if you really rush). Even in terms of side content its shorter than 0, with the only thing slowing you down should you go for 100% completion is the many Majima battles you'll need to do.

Patch 1.05 has just dropped, weighing in around ~300MB. It fixes the glitch during the Tojo Clan HQ cinematic where the hundreds of goons would not show. Just in time for launch!

androvsky

mine arrived! haven't really got the time to play much at the moment, but I've started...

I was in Serena, and ... uh ... why are Yumi's hands so big?! once I noticed it, I couldn't stop looking...

Looks like she's got a bad case of Sega hands. All the major Yakuza characters (or at least the playable ones) have them, the women generally don't because it looks even stranger on them. In this case, there might be a scene where she's holding one of the main character's hand in a closeup (just a guess, haven't played much of the first game), so if she had normal sized hands the guy would look like he's holding the hand of a little girl.

Oublieux

LargeHands.PNG

LargeHands2.PNG

This is hilarious but also irks me at the same time.

Can anyone tell me how to pull of an Extreme Heat Move? There was a tutorial in the prison, but I haven't been able to do another one since then. There's also nothing on that in the Notebook. Go figure.

Can anyone tell me how to pull of an Extreme Heat Move? There was a tutorial in the prison, but I haven't been able to do another one since then. There's also nothing on that in the Notebook. Go figure.

Aha. You've hit one of the silliest points in the game. Let me explain!

The moves your talking about need to be unlocked via levelling up and spending the XP you get via fighting.

There is one move per fighting style you need to purchase/unlock and make sure you get all three, as different bosses will flash with different coloured auras which correspond to the different fighting styles (so purple = rush).

However for an inexplicable reason the game decides to force you to unlock the moves after firstly letting you use it via the tutorial. But bosses will still go into the healing state even before you can even unlock the moves, so until you unlock these you should be able to snap them out of their healing state by picking up a sign or something similar and then pull off a heat move. That should work (it worked for me in the Japanese version).

I'm trying to get into a Cabaret Club, but Kiryu says "I'd better go to the MEB to gather information..." What does that mean? MEB in particular.

my friend's birthday coming up in September gives me an excuse to buy 2 copies of this game

I'm gonna give him the steelbook I got preordered on Amazon, coz I fucking hate steelbooks. If I went to best buy to buy it, it would just be the regular Ps4 cover, right?

epmode

I'm trying to get into a Cabaret Club, but Kiryu says "I'd better go to the MEB to gather information..." What does that mean? MEB in particular.

I'm not sure what the acronym means but it's a little booth with information on various local hostesses and clubs.

MattAces

This one. it's a remake of Yakuza 1.

Is Kiwami a direct continuation of 0? or can I actually play Kiwami first and worry about 0 later.
Also how important is 3-5? Since 6 is coming next year with Kiwami 2 announced, there's a huge chunk of missing story in the middle.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Is Kiwami a direct continuation of 0? or can I actually play Kiwami first and worry about 0 later.
Also how important is 3-5? Since 6 is coming next year with Kiwami 2 announced, there's a huge chunk of missing story in the middle.

New fan here but play 0 first. Great moments in 0 won't have as much impact if you know who lives in dies in kiwami.

But yes kiwami is after 0, but play 0 first.

MattAces

New fan here but play 0 first. Great moments in 0 won't have as much impact if you know who lives in dies in kiwami.

But yes kiwami is after 0, but play 0 first.

That's a great point. I'll be hunting a copy soon for sure. My only problem is the missing chapters, Kiwami 2 is coming end of this year and I can play that before 6, still missing 3-5.

Chapter 6 atm.

The Majima fights in this are fucking annoying. Dude is OP af with his styles.

I usually stick with rush for the most part. Dragon style seems pointless. The moveset is tied behind majima encounters and it's been useless so far. Just helped a dog and trying to find more sidequests now.

As the others said, you should play 0 before Kiwami.

But I don't see the rush to play 6.
I'd play through the ps3 games first, as the series is very plot heavy.

I usually stick with rush for the most part. Dragon style seems pointless. The moveset is tied behind majima encounters and it's been useless so far. Just helped a dog and trying to find more sidequests now.

Well yeah, its supposed to be absolutely useless so far. It'll take you until chapter 10-13? I think before you can fully get it upgraded to the point where it goes from useless to hilariously overpowered (Tiger Drop gives you an insanely quick win against even the hardest arena fights and later Majima fights, makes the end boss fights pretty easy as well.

Where is it? I don't see it on the map.

North (behind) the Millennium Tower. Its a small shop with a massive "MEB" sign on it, and its the only shop in the game you can just walk right into without any load times.

Kinsei

Banned
That's a great point. I'll be hunting a copy soon for sure. My only problem is the missing chapters, Kiwami 2 is coming end of this year and I can play that before 6, still missing 3-5.

You should really play 3-5 before 6. If push comes to shove you could always look up cutscene compilations if an HD collection of the PS3 games isn't announced before you finish Kiwami 2 and are ready to move on to 6.

MattAces

As the others said, you should play 0 before Kiwami.

But I don't see the rush to play 6.
I'd play through the ps3 games first, as the series is very plot heavy.

Don't have an access to PS3 unfortunately.

You should really play 3-5 before 6. If push comes to shove you could always look up cutscene compilations if an HD collection of the PS3 games isn't announced before you finish Kiwami 2 and are ready to move on to 6.

That will most likely be the case then, such a bizarre release schedule :(

Floody

I found a little bug with the new firmware update (well atleast I think it's new), if you quickly scroll over preloaded games it says "Start" instead of the countdown, keep thinking it's ready to go and then get greeted by a countdown.

Top Bottom