• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami = Review Thread -

brawly

I usually stick with rush for the most part. Dragon style seems pointless. The moveset is tied behind majima encounters and it's been useless so far. Just helped a dog and trying to find more sidequests now.

Problem is rush does barely any damage. His bat and breakdance styles are just ridiculous to fight.

Isn't Zero a prequel though?

It is but Kiwami is basically a remake. They added a lot of new stuff to it, taken straight from 0.

Aki-at

They've Jack Sparrow'd Majima in this. Not happy.

This has been Majima for a while now. I too do miss his more sinister and twisted earlier versions that was writen by Seishu but Yokoyama definitely has romanticised these characters a fair bit.

Unless you're coming off 0, in which case he has always been crazy, he was just more reserved in that haha.

Opa-Pa

I'm not sure what happens with him in Kiwami specifically, but yeah he's changed a lot throughout the series.

I like to think he's a fairly sensitive guy, and his crazy mad dog persona is mostly an act to fit in the yakuza world and hide his insecurities and regret... I thought this before playing 0, so that game delivered big time haha.

brawly

This has been Majima for a while now. I too do miss his more sinister and twisted earlier versions that was writen by Seishu but Yokoyama definitely has romanticised these characters a fair bit.

Unless you're coming off 0, in which case he has always been crazy, he was just more reserved in that haha.

True, but it's more severe here. He shows up all the time and the original cutscenes really don't mesh with the new side stories.

SZips

My review at Total Gaming Network is now live:

4 out of 5 stars

Yakuza Kiwami is an exceptional game with exceptional action and exceptional stories. There are so many things to do and experience here that $30 for Yakuza Kiwami feels almost like highway robbery. Throw in Yakuza 0 and you are set for about 100 hours of great gaming.

I use whole numbers only on a scale of 1 to 5. This game just has a few faults, including some Majima Everywhere encounters that didn't mesh especially well with the story beats, some graphical issues (mainly pop-in), and a couple of sequences that just felt a bit too long. Other than that, I loooooved this game. It was just so much fun! Between Kiwami and my first Yakuza game (Yakuza 0), I'm now sold on this entire franchise. Bring on Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2!

Never played the Yakuza series but my copy of Kiwami just shipped and I completely forgot that I had preordered it. I'm debating whether or not I should keep it. Especially since I have to play 0 first.

Rymuth

True, but it's more severe here. He shows up all the time and the original cutscenes really don't mesh with the new side stories.

It's the fate of all breakout characters. They're great within their limited screen time but then the writers realize how much the audience loves them and begin the overexposure.

Lot of people forget Majima was a side-villain before climbing the ranks to deutagnosit.

Remk

After messing around a bit I got my Kiwami pre-order today, but it was missing a few pesos to be eligible for free delivery.
I looked for another item to include and ended up with the Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray set

So around 55$ with free shipping for both, I expect good experiences to come :)

RiverKwai

After messing around a bit I got my Kiwami pre-order today, but it was missing a few pesos to be eligible for free delivery.
I looked for another item to include and ended up with the Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray set

So around 55$ with free shipping for both, I expect good experiences to come :)

Best day ever

Top Bottom