• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good entry point for Yakuza/Like a Dragon series

I really want to try Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon, and Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth looks awesome…

But I’ve only played the first few hours of Yakuza 0 back in the day. I liked it but something else came out I wanted to play more and I never went back to it.

I’m worried I’ll have no idea what’s going on in the story.

Will I be completely lost? The thought of playing 0-6 to get caught up seems crazy since it would take me a year at this point…

Should I just avoid the series at this point or will I actually know what’s going on?

Skifi28

7 is basically an entry point in the series sporting an entirely new cast, 0-6 knowledge is not really required. You might miss the occasional reference or cameo, but no big deal.

Last edited:

Dzab

Play 0, it's a great entry point to get an overall feel of the characters and recurring themes. Watch a summary on the rest and 6.
Play 7/Like a Dragon.
Watch a summary or playthrough of the newly released Gaiden, it's pretty short and doesn't drag out. Ties in nicely to the upcoming game also.
Then enjoy IW when it's out.

While 0 (and the rest) aren't 'essential' to the story, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not playing 0.

Winter John

Gold Member
I couldn’t get into Zero, but I really enjoyed Dragon. The main character and the homeless storyline was a trip.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I played 1 and 2, and 3 partially back in the day, but recently I basically skipped the rest and just jumped into like a dragon instead.

Paltheos

Echoing what everyone else has said. From everything I've heard, you can skip straight to Like a Dragon, but I can speak from personal experience that Yakuza 0 is quite dope. It's worth going back to. If you don't want to replay it entirely maybe watch a summary of the events so far?

Orbital2060

If youre looking to get set up for LAD Infinite Wealth: play Y6 then Like A Dragon.

edit I forgot about Gaiden.

Id start with 6 and Gaiden, then LAD1.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
0-6 knowledge is not really required. You might miss the occasional reference or cameo, but no big deal.

This guy is 100% wrong. Like a Dragon and Infinite Wealth continue the story of both the new protagonist Ichi and Kyriu. While in the 7th, some very important figures from the Yakuza series show up briefly, in Infinite Wealth Kyriu will be your companion and the reason for that is the continuation of his journey from 0 to 6 and Gaiden.

So here's my personal advice G Gorilla Shark , watch this guy's summary

And stop at 6. Go play 6, 7, gaiden and you'll be ready for infinite wealth. Do note that Gaiden is way too expensive for what little it offers, so best to find a sale for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom