• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami = Review Thread -

Rymuth

Metacritic - 83
OpenCritic - 83

Dualshockers - 90

Ultimately, Yakuza Kiwami is a fantastic game, and a real benchmark for how remakes of old and glorious titles should be done. While the explorable area is a bit more limiting than in other games of the series, the rich content, fantastic story, enjoyable gameplay, beautiful environments, and likable and deep characters, combined with the extremely affordable price, make this game simply a must-have, that I can recommend to nearly everyone (who isn't easily offended) without reserves.
Attack of the Fanboy - 9

Yakuza Kiwami represents the pinnacle of the series, with Sega bringing everything it has learned over the years and refining it into a single neat package. The result is a unique and unforgettable experience that far outstrips what was presented in the original entry. Unfortunately, as a remake of a game from more than a decade ago its impossible for the game to escape its core structure. Yes, the graphics, sound and overall gameplay has been improved, but there is still content in the game which is still evidence of a time when Yakuza was new and Sega was still wading in new waters
Playstation Universe - 9

Though not quite so sprawling or wildly ambitious as Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami nonetheless cements its place as an essential entry in the series. Indeed if anything, the leaner content offering (it's still a 60 hour plus affair and then some), coupled with its lower price point both combine to make Yakuza Kiwami an essential starting point for newcomers to Sega's increasingly popular franchise.

GamingBolt - 9

Yakuza Kiwami is an incredibly strong action game, with a compelling story, tons of side quests and activities, an authentic atmosphere that drips charm, arresting characterization, great production values, and kinetic gameplay. For fans of the series, the game is like a loveletter, taking Kiryu's first story, and reimagining it with modern sensibilities. For newcomers, this game represents the best place to jump in- it's a far better product than Yakuza 0, which was great in and of itself to begin with, and at just $30 new, there's not much reason to hesitate anyway

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 out of 5

Yakuza Kiwami remakes the original game in a near-perfect way. Some may be disappointed over the lack of English voice acting, but the use of Japanese with English subtitles greatly increases the authenticity. Kiwami plays far better than the original release and it delivers a more enjoyable experience overall. Every benefit from the most recent games is here, resulting in the definitive way to play the original game's story. Anyone who has missed out on it before should check it out now as should players of the original who always wanted to see it in a better-looking and playing form. Yakuza Kiwami packs a lot of content into an affordable package and is a great jumping off point for newcomers to the series as well.

Digitally Downloaded- 4.5 out of 5

Yakuza has only started to become a big deal in the west over the last couple of releases; Yakuza 5 and 0 were major hits for SEGA, and in the leadup to Yakuza 6, it is understandable that the publisher would want to re-release the original game to help get the new legion of fans up to speed with the overarching narrative and characters that ties all the games together. It could have done this simply by releasing the original game on PlayStation 4 as a PS2 classic, and that would have been perfectly adequate. But SEGA's done much more than that and given us all something completely modern and ”new" to play, and the entire Yakuza series continues to go from strength to strength.

Hobby Consoles - 89

Twelve years after its original release on PS2, Yakuza Kiwami is still a great adventure set in modern Japan. Some mechanics such as invisible walls or certain fighting elements feel outdated, but the story, setting and minigames are awesome.

WCCFTECH - 8.6

Yakuza Kiwami does a great job of bringing the very first tale of the Dragon of Dojima's (dis)honor and heroism onto a modern console. However, it shares so much in common with Yakuza 0 in both engine and content that it ultimately feels more like an expansion built upon the 1980's adventure than a purely standalone RPG. Perhaps six months is too soon for another vacation to Kamurocho for some, but I hear those neon streets calling my name to return once more.

God is a Geek - 8.5

Yakuza Kiwami is indeed extreme, and is great to play, but combat has always ran the risk of featuring a bit too much for my liking. For example, when I was travelling from Serenas to Ares, I faced two separate gangs and got stopped by a cop who was basically accusing me of stealing a kid. This can happen quite a bit, and simple journeys can be bogged down by some boring interactions and countless fights. The fighting is fun, but too much of a good thing and all that. Regardless, I loved playing it again after all this time, and despite its clunkiness, bizarre writing, and obsession with Pocket Racers, Yakuza Kiwami is a hoot, and one I wish I could spend all my time playing. It's also a fantastic remake that makes the smallest detail like skin blotches and the puddles reflecting the neon lights stick out like a wonderfully sore thumb

Playstation Lifestyle - 8.5

As a remake, Kiwami is a triumphant success. Not only is it leaps and bounds more playable than the PS2 original, the additional scenes help flesh out character motivations. This all makes the story of Kiryu's rise feel more special, and it's a perfect continuation for those who recently played Yakuza 0. There are some disappointments, though, as just roaming around Kamurocho feels like a step backwards from previous games that featured multiple cities to explore, but that's just an unfortunate side-effect of being a remake of a much-less ambitious title. The new bells and whistles make Yakuza Kiwami a worthwhile time no matter if you've played the original or not.

Gearnuke - 8.5

If you have played Yakuza 0 right before playing Kiwami, you will be disappointed by the limited open world and the lack of interesting cast of characters. The game doesn't really offer anything new in terms of gameplay and it is mostly a retread of Yakuza 0 with the major hook being its story. That said, if you loved Yakuza 0 and are thirsty for more of the same, you will enjoy your time with Yakuza Kiwami.

Gameinformer - 8.5

I had a lot of fun with Yakuza Kiwami, but it occupies a strange place. I commend Sega for the extra lengths it took with the remake – including replacing the Western actors from the original release with all-new dialogue from the Japanese actors – but feels like a relic at times. The game's overall scale is still impressively large, but there's only one main area to explore. Visiting the first entry, enhanced as it is, certainly gave me a greater appreciation for the strides that the series made later. That's probably not what Sega was hoping for here, but it's unavoidable considering the close proximity to Yakuza 0's release.

Gamespot - 8

Kiwami does a great job as both a remake of the original Yakuza game and as a sequel to Zero. Despite that combat remains more of a bump in the road than a rewarding pursuit, it's a no-brainer for existing fans of the series, and shouldn't be overlooked by newcomers, even if Zero passed them by. There's nothing else quite like Yakuza, and Kiwami isn't afraid to show it.

USGAMER - 4 out of 5

If you want to see what all the fuss is about this is the place to start. Yakuza 0 is technically the beginning of Kiryu's story, but it's a full priced release and Yakuza 6 won't be launching on PlayStation 4 until March of next year. This is the ground floor folks. Time to hop on the ride. For my money, I'm glad the soul is still strong in this one.

RPG Site - 8

Following in the footsteps of Yakuza 0 was always going to be a tough act to follow for Sega. While I did not enjoy Yakuza Kiwami to the degree that I did with that game, all the same, Kiwami is excellent. There's a ton of content here to make your way through, especially if you take the time to just explore the city streets and indulge in side activities. If you're a newcomer to the series, this is an excellent jumping on point, and it's a steal at only $30. So if you only have even a passing interest in the game, just know that there's no better time to lose yourself in the neon glow of Kamurocho.

Destructoid - 8

Really, you can't go wrong with Kiwami. I would have liked it if every aspect of the game had been fully redone, but we don't see remakes like this come along often. I can deal with a few stumbling blocks when the core quality of what makes Yakuza so unique and engaging remains untouched. At least now more people can have a chance to experience this classic, which is the best thing about Kiwami's existence.

Cubed3 - 8

An absurdly good game. The story, the world, the characters, and the distractions all add up to one thing: immersion. This is the type of game to invest tons of time in, and for those new to the franchise, it's all the better because there are so many other Yakuza titles waiting to be played! For returning fans, Yakuza: Kiwami gives the inaugural game new life.

IGN - 7.9

Yakuza Kiwami makes great strides in updating the classic original Yakuza game to modern standards. But while it adds better combat, bizarrely charming side quests, and a gorgeous graphical revamp, it also ignores some of the original's biggest problems in pacing and storytelling. And because of its relatively short length, Yakuza Kiwami's fun trip through the tangled web of Japan's criminal underground feels like a prelude to something bigger and better to come

Easy Allies - 3.5 out of 5

Yakuza Kiwami may not be the biggest in the series but it's a solid remake of the game that introduced us to the Dragon of Dojima

Push Square - 6

Yakuza Kiwami finds itself in a strange position. A remake that's technically a sequel to a much better game in Yakuza 0, it struggles to offer anything besides another engaging crime-drama storyline. Best described as a kind of expansion, Kiwami really shows its age in terms of narrative structure and gameplay design, but it's still worth playing through if you just can't get enough of Kaz. It goes without saying, however, that series newcomers are much better off starting with the far superior Yakuza 0.

danowat

Banned
I was just thinking about making one!!!

Really looking forward to this, despite it's apparent shortcomings compared to Yakuza 0, which, incidentally, I am just about to finish!

Yakuza Zero was one of my best experiences in this gen. I didn't play the first Yakuza, Kiwami would be a sweet dream for me.

Yeah, reviews are about in line with what I expected. Basically anyone who enjoyed 0 will enjoy this game as structure wise its very much the same thing, just without the fun Club Czar and Real Estate mini games.
Its just nice to have the story of the first game (which I love thanks to a brilliant cast of characters) but without the hassle of the camera controls and questionable lock on combat of the 10 year old PS2 original.

smuf

Not sure if I should pick this up. I've played all the mainline games as they came out, but I'm scared that between having just beaten 0 and 6 coming out early next year I'll get burnt out on it.

Aki-at

To see so many critics eating up Yakuza in one year and series going from kinda bomba to niche... finally the promised time has come!

it's still the best yakuza story
better than 2

It's only going to get better now that we've been more engaged with Nishiki.

So if I wanted to start the Yakuza series, is this or 0 the better place to start?

0 as this builds on some of the relationships started in the original.

2921100-thatsrad.gif

Currently tying up stuff in 0, but will be diving right in to Kiwami when it arrives next week.

So if I wanted to start the Yakuza series, is this or 0 the better place to start?

0 is a prequel to the events of the first game, so it would be wise to start with 0. It's also (probably) the superior game. I say probably because I haven't played the remake, but the original version of Yakuza 1 is the worst mainline installment in the franchise, so it has to be.

0 is all kinds of ace. This can't be understated. Do yourself a favour and play it.

Jimrpg

Well done Rymuth. Great thread!

Bizarrely I totally understand Push Square's review and where the reviewer is coming from. Yes 0 is probably the better game, but we should be thankful we get a cool remake like this one and that we don't have to go back to the PS2 version. I can't really complain.

I can't wait to experience Yakuza 1 all over again.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
yakuza 1 is hugely underrated by the fanbase imo, it's aged a lot better than people put on and it has one of the best stories in the series. looking forward to getting this next week, although i think i would have preferred the HD release instead.

Great reviews.

I'm a new Yakuza disciple after 0, loved it to pieces so I'm in for this day 1!
I need more of my crazy Japanese mafia soap opera.

duckroll

yakuza 1 is hugely underrated by the fanbase imo, it's aged a lot better than people put on and it has one of the best stories in the series. looking forward to getting this next week, although i think i would have preferred the HD release instead.

I don't think it is underrated at all. It's just a very dated game because the series evolved so much mechanically and graphically while retaining the same style. I will never forget beating the original game and watching the credits roll with the ending theme. An amazing experience that came out of nowhere at all since no one had any expectations of the game at the time.

Floody

Can't wait, played the original when it first released, but never finished it and never followed the series again until Zero, which I loved so much I had to go bust out my PS3 to play 4 and 5.

Happy it's getting good reviews, not that they'd affect me much. I need another Yakuza fix.

Can't wait, played the original when it first released, but never finished it and never followed the series again until Zero, which I loved so much I had to go bust out my PS3 to play 4 and 5.

Happy it's getting good reviews, not that they'd affect me much. I need another Yakuza fix.

You missed out on 2 man. That's a crying shame. 2 is a masterpiece.

ubiblu

no way is 1 a worse game than 3 or 5

I beg to differ. Imported Kiwami last year on launch, did not enjoy it anywhere near as much as Zero. Played 2-6 + Ishin/Kenzan afterwards. Kiwami is easily my least favourite (but still really great to play).

Theswweet

I haven't even gotten my full fill of Yakuza 0 yet, and I don't know when I will, but $24 at BB means I'll be getting this day 1 just to show my support.

SxP

Can't wait. 0 is definitely my favorite of the series, and while I don't think this will reach that heights, I'm still looking forward to it.

Plus, I'll admit it. I missed Haruka in 0.

no way is 1 a worse game than 3 or 5

In terms of gameplay? 1 is way worse. In terms of story? 1 destroys 5 and beats 3 handily.

3 and 5 just have more going on than 1. 1 has a small array of heat moves, clunky controls and camera and next to no side activities. These issues were fixed in 2 (controls and combat/heat moves) and 3 (activities) respectively, its just natural that 1 is a "worse" game so to speak than later games since they were still very much finding their footing and the gameplay evolved as the series went on.

Now its come full circle with Kiwami getting to reap all the benefits that the last 10 years have given the series and its excellent. Just could have done with slightly less Majima as he does get kinda annoying after fighting him for the 100th time!

oneida

I beg to differ. Imported Kiwami last year on launch, did not enjoy it anywhere near as much as Zero. Played 2-6 + Ishin/Kenzan afterwards. Kiwami is easily my least favourite (but still really great to play).
you can beg to differ all you like but 3&5 both have entirely forgettable antagonists, 3 has pacing problems bad enough to give me whiplash and 5 is bloated

ubiblu

you can beg to differ all you like but 3&5 both have entirely forgettable antagonists, 3 has pacing problems bad enough to give me whiplash and 5 is bloated

Sounds like differing opinions. Uh-oh! I hate the story of Y1, and actually loved Y3/5 besides the terrible pacing. Y6 is the best one after Zero. You want to fight me on that too?

oneida

Sounds like differing opinions. Uh-oh! I hate the story of Y1, and actually loved Y3/5 besides the terrible pacing. Y6 is the best one after Zero. You want to fight me on that too?
i'm not gonna tell you what to think but preferring 6 to 2&4 definitely is not a popular opinion

Top Bottom