• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox's Obsidian Entertainment already working on new role-playing game

CyberPanda

Banned
What you need to know
  • Obsidian Entertainment was recently acquired by Microsoft.
  • The team is currently working on The Outer Worlds for Xbox One and other platforms.
  • The studio is also looking for a new Lead Narrative Designer for another unannounced game.
  • You can purchase Xbox Game Pass Ultimate through the Microsoft Store for $1.
Recently, Microsoft announced that it had acquired inXile Entertainment and Obsidian Entertainment. Both companies are working on new projects, and it'll be interesting to see what they come up with down the line. However, Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division have been developing a new game for a while now, and it was officially announced at The Game Awards 2018.
The Outer Worlds is a first-person role-playing game where choices matter. It seems that you can explore a multitude of planets during the course of the campaign. It's a lot like Destiny 2 where you go to different open-world areas for various objectives.
While work on The Outer Worlds rages on, Obsidian is already working on its next game. The title appears to be another role-playing game with branching dialogue. Hopefully, it'll be an open-world experience like Obsidian's past projects like Fallout: New Vegas. Kate Dollarhyde, Lead Narrative Designer, said that Obsidian was looking for another Lead Narrative Designer for its "next project." The studio needs someone who understands "branching dialogue" and "role-playing game design conventions."
Hey, @Obsidian is looking for a ✨Lead Narrative Designer✨ for our next project!

3+ yrs experience, one shipped game w/ branching dialog, v. knowledgeable abt RPG design conventions.

Details: https://t.co/lAhHNXGiyF
— Kate Dollarhyde (@keightdee) June 25, 2019
It's unclear what this project is, or if it's the same "redacted" project Dollarhyde is working on. Only time will tell. It's clear that Obsidian isn't slowing down its development because the team has multiple projects in the works. This upcoming game may be exclusive to Xbox Oneand Windows 10 because it doesn't seem like any publishing agreements were made before Microsoft purchased the developer.
The Outer Worlds will be available through Xbox Game Pass. There's a promotion going on through the Microsoft Store which lets you upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate – which includes Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass for PC, and Xbox Live Gold – for $1. Amazon is also selling a three-month subscription for $20.

Teslerum

Said as much in the other thread.

Game and Design (Gameplay) Director here are referring respectivly to Adam Brennecke and Brandon Adler. Both of whom hold these roles for the first time.

So who knows how this will turn out.

Edit: Also I wonder who could actuallt fulfill those requirements that didn’t previously work with em. Games/RPG’s with true branching dialog aren’t exactly ready in excess,

Last edited:
I can't be the only one who finds "Xbox's Obsidian Entertainment" weird still. I mean, it's almost oxymoronic in a way, no?
Man, things have changed.

Whatever. On-topic, looking forward to whatever this is. Quietly hoping it's something with a fresh setting and theme. Loved Pillars of eternity 1 and 2, but between those two, Pathfinder, DOS 1 and II, Torment and co, you kinda want the cRPG renaissance to broaden a little.

Panaphonics

Banned
I can't be the only one who finds "Xbox's Obsidian Entertainment" weird still. I mean, it's almost oxymoronic in a way, no?

hahahaha, do you mean like "xbox and entertainment" is an oxymoron? you are so clever! so funny! like xbox can't entertain anyone? amirite
jesus, I was really entertained by playing RDR 2 in native 4K on my 77" LG OLED. Much more entertained than playing it on a PS4 Pro with a blurry sub-4k res.

Teslerum

Yeah, it's already been a month. That project is probably finished, they are working on a new one now.
/s

No I mean they have confirmed 3 projects. You just have to check Linkedin to confirm that.

One directed by Matthew Perez (started this year. Kate is most likely narrative lead for that.)
One directed by Adam Brennecke (started last year after aquistion. Project mentioned in OP)
And Outer Worlds

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Alpha Protocol 2.

hahahaha, do you mean like "xbox and entertainment" is an oxymoron? you are so clever! so funny! like xbox can't entertain anyone? amirite
jesus, I was really entertained by playing RDR 2 in native 4K on my 77" LG OLED. Much more entertained than playing it on a PS4 Pro with a blurry sub-4k res.

Fuck off with the console war bullshit, what are you, 11? He obviously means it's weird seeing the two together after the acquisition, dumbass.

Woah, what? No, take it easy, bro

The latter part of my post is cRPG related. I mean 'Xbox', a console title, paired with 'Obsidian', a notably cRPG based dev team, is weird to see together, isn't it? Like AV AV mentioned, still haven't adjusted to it. "Microsoft's Obsidian entertainment" would be less jarring.

Console wars shitposts are definitely a thing, but i don't think you should be actively reaching for that shit.

Last edited:

Hudo

I mean, it would be a strange choice for MS not to have them working on an RPG. Although I would love to see some sort of crossover between racing game and RPG. Anyone remember Racing Lagoon?

GreyHorace

Is Obsidian still a worthy storytelling team without Chris Avellone? The guy did write a majority of their titles so I'm wondering whether they can still bang out some quality rpgs with him gone.

Teslerum

Is Obsidian still a worthy storytelling team without Chris Avellone? The guy did write a majority of their titles so I'm wondering whether they can still bang out some quality rpgs with him gone.

To be accurate Chris actually only *wrote* Kotor 2 and (amazingly well) frankenstein monstered Alpha Protocol. (NV DLC’s as well)

That said since around 2014-15 they lost most of their *senior* writing talent which somewhat showed in PoE1+2. They lacked direction. Outer Worlds got that back though with Leonard Boyarsky of Troika fame and imo it shows already in the recent demo.

So hopefully Leonard stays at Obsidian and the OW writers take what they learned in this game into their other games.

Last edited:

nikolino840

GreyHorace

To be accurate Chris actually only *wrote* Kotor 2 and (amazingly well) frankenstein monstered Alpha Protocol. (NV DLC’s as well)

That said since around 2014-15 they lost most of their *senior* writing talent which somewhat showed in PoE1+2. They lacked direction. Outer Worlds got that back though with Leonard Boyarsky of Troika fame and imo it shows already in the recent demo.

So hopefully Leonard stays at Obsidian and the OW writers take what they learned in this game into their other games.
Troika? The guys who made Arcanum? Never played that game but people hold it in high regard, so I guess this is good news.

And Avellone only wrote KOTOR 2? He's listed as the main writer of Planscape Torment. Unless the wiki is inaccurate.

Teslerum

Troika? The guys who made Arcanum? Never played that game but people hold it in high regard, so I guess this is good news.

And Avellone only wrote KOTOR 2? He's listed as the main writer of Planscape Torment. Unless the wiki is inaccurate.

I mean at Obsidian itself. ;)

Btw: All three of the Troika work now for Microsoft. Leonard and Tim at Obsidian, Jason at InExile.

Last edited:

nikolino840

If you can,play arcanum! If you like steampunk style Is a good rpg! I Remember It was'nt an hard game like Baldur's gate but the atmosphere was great!

Dontero

Banned

You are selling him short here mate.

Fallout 2 (wasn't lead but he wrote A LOT of locations) He wrote particulary all the lore towards other vaults from which next fallout took cues though he believes it was his greatest mistake as writer.
Icewind Dale (wasn't lead)
Planescape Torment aka the best written game of all time and it was his baby.
Baldurs Gate 3 (lead) cancelled due to interplay bankrupcy
Fallout 3 (van buren) (lead) cancelled due to interplay bankrupcy
KOTOR2 lead designer and writter - also one of the best written games
NWN2/Mask of the Betrayer - Ziets was narrative lead but Avellone also wrote parts of it. MOTB is effectively spiritual successor to PT and also one of the best written games.
Alpha Protocol - lead
FNV - writer, Old World Blues designer

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Hopefully something new and original instead of some random IP from MS portfolio that no one cares about nor it makes sense like Halo Wars.
Shadowrun is not a random IP from Microsoft portfolio. It was originally created by FASA and it's setting is better than Cyberpunk. There were Shadowrun single player RPG games in SNES/Genesis/Sega CD. It would be crime to not let Obsidian handle Shadowrun, now that Microsoft owns it.

It has stuffs like magic and fantasy mixed into cyberpunk setting, its way more deeper than CDPR's Cyberpunk. Both
If Obsidian wants to the handle this setting they need to hire a lot(which they are doing).
While, Cyberpunk is influenced by Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell, Shadowrun is influenced by the writings of William Gibson, particularly Neuromancer.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

If you can,play arcanum! If you like steampunk style Is a good rpg! I Remember It was'nt an hard game like Baldur's gate but the atmosphere was great!
I'd play Arcanum if it wasn't such a broken mess of a game. I read that even with the help of fan mods it's still a barely functioning rpg.

I don't like playing broken or incomplete games because they tend to frustrate me more than anything. I thought Obsidian's own Alpha Protocol had a fantastic story but the broken gameplay made me quit in a rage.

Teslerum

You are selling him short here mate.

Fallout 2 (wasn't lead but he wrote A LOT of locations) He wrote particulary all the lore towards other vaults from which next fallout took cues though he believes it was his greatest mistake as writer.
Icewind Dale (wasn't lead)
Planescape Torment aka the best written game of all time and it was his baby.
Baldurs Gate 3 (lead) cancelled due to interplay bankrupcy
Fallout 3 (van buren) (lead) cancelled due to interplay bankrupcy
KOTOR2 lead designer and writter - also one of the best written games
NWN2/Mask of the Betrayer - Ziets was narrative lead but Avellone also wrote parts of it. MOTB is effectively spiritual successor to PT and also one of the best written games.
Alpha Protocol - lead
FNV - writer, Old World Blues designer

Well yeah. Again meant specifically Obsidian and things he lead wrote.
Which is where Avellone reaaaally shines. PST and KOTOR2 are at the top for me. Its a damn shame we havent seen more of that and its a shame Avellone didnt get back on it when he left Obsidian.

Hes a fantastic writer, not arguing that.

Last edited:

nikolino840

I'd play Arcanum if it wasn't such a broken mess of a game. I read that even with the help of fan mods it's still a barely functioning rpg.

I don't like playing broken or incomplete games because they tend to frustrate me more than anything. I thought Obsidian's own Alpha Protocol had a fantastic story but the broken gameplay made me quit in a rage.
For that i don't know,or i dont Remember Sorry :)

Last edited:

GreyHorace

For that i don't know,or i dont Remember Sorry :)
Hey man. No need to apologize. Not blaming you or anyone for liking Arcanum. As I said before, I've never played it. I just read up on it since it has such a reputation among RPG enthusiasts. The fact that it's such a broken game is why I've avoided it. If you're okay with that then more power to you. But stuff like that is a dealbreaker for me.

nikolino840

Hey man. No need to apologize. Not blaming you or anyone for liking Arcanum. As I said before, I've never played it. I just read up on it since it has such a reputation among RPG enthusiasts. The fact that it's such a broken game is why I've avoided it. If you're okay with that then more power to you. But stuff like that is a dealbreaker for me.
In reality Is becouse i have played the game decades ago maybe i was too young and too noob to see the quality of a game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Go, obsidian!
Fly like the wind!!

I love obsidian games so much. I just got a new one from them and yet, I'm still excited for this news if only because it means they are ACTIVE. Cant wait to see what they have in store this time.

Bkdk

Good, would like a truly wide open world rpg with extensive character customization engine, lots of missions with choice and consequences, constant changing game world reacting to players’ choice and play styles, wide variety of console commands and Bethesda game studios’ level of mod support, not just moderate sized hubs like outer world. They should just scrap that grounded and focus everything on this plus hire another hundred to pull this massive project off.

If it is Shadowrun, hopefully it's in the Seattle Metroplex + Redmond Barrens. Maybe throw in Portland (Tir Tairngire) as expansion material.

It's a great setting.

Teslerum

Obsidian has currently 5 projects (One got cancelled, after some pre-production. Was replaced by another.)

- AAA RPG directed by Chris Parker
- Grounded directed by Adam Brennecke
- Unannounced Game directed by Brandon Adler
- Unannounced Small Game directed by Josh Sawyer
- Outer Worlds post-launch team

Top Bottom