• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Unit Sales Down YOY - Only 36 Million Xbox's Sold

Wow+what+the+heeho+_5547d016e563efed54df97bc6018e641.gif

Ok then...
Not sure what the issue is. Go ahead and look them up and see which ones you like.

You guys arguing back and forth are missing the point here. MS know they've clearly lost this gen. They've been eyeing next gen and planning for it hard I bet. All these acquisitions, strategy changes etc, they're all for next gen (Not just plans to release the next box and that's it). I don't know why you're even bothering with numbers like 36 or 40 or 45 like it makes any difference now. Have 50. They're still way behind and makes no difference. Just ride this one out and eye what they're doing for the next big one.

If after all they're doing now for next gen they still f up, then let's talk.

How will we know when 9th gen is f-ed up for XBox?

It is not crap, and you can download PS4 games like GamePass if you want local native play, nor do you need PS+ for multiplayer games on it... so they have (3 services) all in one currently, and not three seemingly separate subscriptions on the mountain of GaaS being pumped out by the competition.

Just because they (Sony) are not talking, does not mean they are not watching and tooling themselves. They have the foundation and experience already, so to not at least take that into consideration is just being disingenuous. MS/Google are talking the talk, because they are newly entering the arena. I am also sure they will invest and put out a great service, and continue to if the demand is there. And let's be honest, MS does have the best PR/Marketing out of any company out there.

They don't have the capital or the infrastructure, that is the problem. Your are talking about a company that was unable to let you change your username until now and it's still a Band-Aid method.

The service itself is substandard, that's why I cancelled after a month. Playing a game like The Last of Us felt sloppy with the controls. Good luck playing twitchy titles like fighting games.

It took them years to even get PS4 games on the service because Sony is so wrapped into selling hardware that the focus on Now means it's not that important to them. And it shows.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It is not crap, and you can download PS4 games like GamePass if you want local native play, nor do you need PS+ for multiplayer games on it... so they have (3 services) all in one currently, and not three seemingly separate subscriptions on the mountain of GaaS being pumped out by the competition.

Just because they (Sony) are not talking, does not mean they are not watching and tooling themselves. They have the foundation and experience already, so to not at least take that into consideration is just being disingenuous. MS/Google are talking the talk, because they are newly entering the arena. I am also sure they will invest and put out a great service, and continue to if the demand is there. And let's be honest, MS does have the best PR/Marketing out of any company out there.

Ok let me clarify. THE STREAMING PART of PSNow is crap. I'm sure Sony is preparing. I have absolutely no doubt about that. However, in order to compete with Project xCloud, Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud they are way far behind and likely won't have anything self-developed in terms of infrastructure by time the other guys are already on the field. The only way I can see them doing this is by purchasing existing services like they did with Gaikai or partnering with someone like IBM, who already has a comparable cloud infrastructure setup.

I have taken PSNow into consideration. I've also considered it a non factor because of it's colossal failure. So you think that they will be able to improve PSNow to the point to where it will be just as good as google cloud, when they have servers that span the frickin globe? I don't wanna call you delusional, but you definitely have no right calling me disingenuous when you have yet to acknowledge facts that right in front of your face.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Some have spun so hard they act as if the amount sold outside of the US was like 15.

To be fair though it's not selling poorly, it's still kind of in line with the 360 at this point for now. So it still selling well just not as well as the PS4.

Sales of Xbox consoles are important for many reasons. The issue is you and some others who have said "sales don't matter" are only thinking about console wars. Which isn't how business works. Xbox selling over 40 million and establishing great software sales will be important for them to have a good platform "next gen" as it is now it seems like you're saying they shouldn't do anything since they lost, which would lead to zero momentum going into the next console.
No. I didn't say that. And I'm not into console wars, thanks. What I'm saying is you guys should forget this gen and stop bickering, not MS. I clearly said everything MS is doing now is preparing for next gen, so that's your momentum, but you didn't get that part I guess?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ok let me clarify. THE STREAMING PART of PSNow is crap. I'm sure Sony is preparing. I have absolutely no doubt about that. However, in order to compete with Project xCloud, Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud they are way far behind and likely won't have anything self-developed in terms of infrastructure by time the other guys are already on the field. The only way I can see them doing this is by purchasing existing services like they did with Gaikai or partnering with someone like IBM, who already has a comparable cloud infrastructure setup.

I have taken PSNow into consideration. I've also considered it a non factor because of it's colossal failure. So you think that they will be able to improve PSNow to the point to where it will be just as good as google cloud, when they servers that span the frickin globe? I don't wanna call you delusional, but you definitely have no right calling me disingenuous when you have yet to acknowledge facts that right in front of your face.

You can't say PSNow is a non-factor, yet also say that xCloud is the future.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I do not expect them to have their own infrastructure, but I do expect them to partner if this ever comes a big enough market in gaming. All of the others you mentioned, will be dealing with the very same quantum physics, and there will be no magic solvent to input lag/jitter/latency on the private networks. DataCaps be dammed as well.

Do not let the marketing fool you.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

When did I say Project xCloud is the future? I think it's more of a competitor than Sony is because they've thrown their cards down in Project xCloud. Microsoft is simply out maneuvering the console war altogether and jumping into an entire different arena where, at least right now, Sony has no skin in the game. It's competition is Google and Amazon (more Google than Amazon, really). The whole idea of streaming your games to any device allows Microsoft to spread its reach millions of people who might not be able to afford a console, but have a phone or a tablet. Will it work, will it suck? I don't know that for sure and I'm not speculating on that. All I'm saying is that right now, the evidence shows that Microsoft is more prepared for this than Sony is because Sony has NOTHING comparable to it at this current time.

joe_zazen

Anybody that thinks Streaming games will be the main way people play video games next gen is living in the land of OZ.

That's my view too. I can see why many think it is inevitable though, as it has taken over video and music.
Netflix and Youtube don't stream games and PSNow is crap. So either you beef up to compete with Microsoft, Amazon and Google or you get left in the dust. I'm not arguing that they need their own infrastructure. I'm arguing that if you want to compete in quality to what is being put on the table by other companies...you need your own infrastructure.

Top 10 cloud services. Sony is no where to be seen.
https://clutch.co/cloud

The Microsoft games streaming service is amazing. oh wait.

How is it going to be noticeably better than Google's, psnow, and nvidia's? People don't notice lag on those services now unless they have flaky/bad internet?

And my point was, you can set up a global streaming service (games, music, video, etc) and not have to own your own servers and compete just fine.

edit: actually dude, you way too angry...ignore my reply.

Last edited:

Three

It took them years to even get PS4 games on the service because Sony is so wrapped into selling hardware that the focus on Now means it's not that important to them. And it shows.

And how long did it take for MS to come out with any service at all? They still haven't. Sony isn't 'wrapped up' in selling hardware, people are buying hardware. You spout "choice, choice choice" but when it is there it's about it not being the focus, when the competition hasn't come out with anything and doesn't actually have any choice whatsoever.

Last edited:
Yes but we know at least up till only a couple months ago the total NPD sales. But this same source has been inconsistent multiple times which was my point. There's nothing new here to suddenly think this is reliable.

Yes, it does. Because you are thinking fanboy wars you aren't interested in the other aspects of the competition selling well. This isn't about the PS4.

A decade ago was 2008. Don't make random crap up. It wasn't until 2012 one could actually argue Halo/Gears/Forza and in 2017 the 360 got replaces by a new consoles with several games that were not that. It's nothing buy system wars myths. The Halo/Gears/Forza nonsense is completely fabricated, also did people forget that people were saying the PS4 has no games earlier this gen? They said that because the Xbox One didn't only have the "same franchises" guy. If you want to troll there's the remains of gamestop system wars, not very active though.

I wasn’t trolling. Are you really saying that XBox leadership saying that it takes time to develop 1st party games is a new thing? Mattrick was singing the same song years ago. I guess you also believe Nintendo when they say that their 3rd party support will be strong when they announce their next console. Those are the two biggest running jokes in console gaming.

PlayStation has done the same thing they have done in recent gens. Their best new IP’s often come at the end of the generation. God of War, Last Of Us, for example. And Sony doesn’t mind bombing. For every The Order there’s a Horizon Zero Dawn waiting behind the corner. At least they try.

MS? They talk about using a billion dollars for XBox One exclusives alone. That was five years ago and again, the end of the 360 era wasn’t exactly strong either. Unless if you enjoyed Kinect.

mckmas8808

When did I say Project xCloud is the future? I think it's more of a competitor than Sony is because they've thrown their cards down in Project xCloud. Microsoft is simply out maneuvering the console war altogether and jumping into an entire different arena where, at least right now, Sony has no skin in the game. It's competition is Google and Amazon (more Google than Amazon, really). The whole idea of streaming your games to any device allows Microsoft to spread its reach millions of people who might not be able to afford a console, but have a phone or a tablet. Will it work, will it suck? I don't know that for sure and I'm not speculating on that. All I'm saying is that right now, the evidence shows that Microsoft is more prepared for this than Sony is because Sony has NOTHING comparable to it at this current time.

But why do you believe MS so quickly that you'll be able to stream all Xbox 3 games to all these types of devices?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
But why do you believe MS so quickly that you'll be able to stream all Xbox 3 games to all these types of devices?
So quickly? You do realize Microsoft has been working on the cloud for gaming since before Titanfall 1 right? That's like what, 4, 5 years at least. Sure it wasn't for streaming specifically but they also said they would only do this if the main problem people have with streaming is resolved. The Latency. Now they announce xCloud. Microsoft used to get a TON of shit for their claims of their cloud gaming making the original Xbox One as powerful as the PS4 (flat out wrong, by the way). However I think when they realized what they had on their hands with the Xbox One X and looming competition from the likes of Google, the purpose and goal of their cloud system changed dramatically. Project xCloud seems to be the result of this. Now mind you, this particular part is pure speculation on my behalf. I don't know any of this for a fact, I'm just discussing this.

However Sony hasn't given me anything to go off in terms of what direction they might take. The last update with PSNow is basically copying what Game Pass has been able to let you do from its onset. Streaming is still a possibility, but it's still crap and there's no mention of plans of improvement at this point.

I mean my word isn't written in gold or anything. If I'm wrong, show me?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That's my view too. I can see why many think it is inevitable though, as it has taken over video and music.

The Microsoft games streaming service is amazing. oh wait.

How is it going to be noticeably better than Google's, psnow, and nvidia's? People don't notice lag on those services now unless they have flaky/bad internet?

And my point was, you can set up a global streaming service (games, music, video, etc) and not have to own your own servers and compete just fine.

edit: actually dude, you way too angry...ignore my reply.

I'd rather have nothing than to have crap. Release it when it's ready. Project xCloud is Microsoft's claim that it's gonna be ready and it's not gonna be like PSNow is today. I didn't say Microsoft would be better than Google. Stop putting words in my mouth. I said they would be able to compete. Personally I'm not even familiar with NVidia's streaming service so...I simply would need more information. However I'm not claiming Microsoft would be better than them either. I never said Microsoft would even be the best. I do believe, however, that it will be better than what PSNow is today. That, I'm almost sure of. Why release Project xCloud if it's gonna be as bad as PSNow? It makes no sense to match Sony on that front. Plus Sony doesn't stream to any device, just Sony products and the PC from what I understand. So there's already evidence they are doing something more than what PSNow offers.

You are saying you don't need the infrastructure to compete globally and that might be true...today. However, my point was that what happens when everybody else on the field has global servers and you don't? Why do you think they are doing this? For their health? No. Google and Microsoft are setting the stage for a next level battle.

I wasn’t trolling. Are you really saying that XBox leadership saying that it takes time to develop 1st party games is a new thing? Mattrick was singing the same song years ago. I guess you also believe Nintendo when they say that their 3rd party support will be strong when they announce their next console. Those are the two biggest running jokes in console gaming.

PlayStation has done the same thing they have done in recent gens. Their best new IP’s often come at the end of the generation. God of War, Last Of Us, for example. And Sony doesn’t mind bombing. For every The Order there’s a Horizon Zero Dawn waiting behind the corner. At least they try.

MS? They talk about using a billion dollars for XBox One exclusives alone. That was five years ago and again, the end of the 360 era wasn’t exactly strong either. Unless if you enjoyed Kinect.

Dude you literally made up a situation that never existed in your post your trolling. Your quote:

They have tried to get 1st party production going for over a decade now.

Nonsense. Also the only time H/G/F was a thing was 2012 and only 2012. 2013 has the Xbox one release with a bunch of new games.

No. I didn't say that. And I'm not into console wars, thanks. What I'm saying is you guys should forget this gen and stop bickering, not MS. I clearly said everything MS is doing now is preparing for next gen, so that's your momentum, but you didn't get that part I guess?

Yes you are. The only reason why anyone would say "why would sales matter" is because they only think of sales in the context of console wars. There's no other reason to even mention it.

TLZ

Banned
Yes you are. The only reason why anyone would say "why would sales matter" is because they only think of sales in the context of console wars. There's no other reason to even mention it.
Wow. So you know more about myself than I do? I clearly explained myself in my post, and you are clearly ignoring all that, and you want it to be about console wars.

I see how you think now. I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like you're quite the trouble making fanboy that I thought you might be.

I'll say this one more time and I won't repeat myself, I am not into childish rabbid fanboy plastic console wars that YOU seem to instigate with your arguments in every thread. Take that shit elsewhere. I have no time for this bullshit. Ignore this and I'm going to ignore you.

Last edited:
We get it, you don't like them.

We also get it, you love them. I find it amusing how Sony can't have any disadvantage to some of you. The PS4 is a great system, killing the others. They also have some of the best studios and great scouting for getting deals done.

They are not perfect though, PS Now is the base level and all others should be striving to offer a better service than they are providing. Is that really offensive to you to hear that? Sony does not seem to care that much about it. In fact aside from the PS4 hardware and software for it, it seems as though Sony is not that focused on anything else. Even PSVR is getting little attention.
And how long did it take for MS to come out with any service at all? They still haven't. Sony isn't 'wrapped up' in selling hardware, people are buying hardware. You spout "choice, choice choice" but when it is there it's about it not being the focus, when the competition hasn't come out with anything and doesn't actually have any choice whatsoever.

Game Pass is a choice, streaming is already confirmed too and they will no doubt offer its new titles on it too. EA Access is also a choice. I know it's hard to catch up seeing as how Sony is finally allowing console crossplay and baiting everyone with one title, a beta test at that,of what choice really means.

Last edited:
Wow. So you know more about myself than I do?

Sir there is no other way you would say "why do sales matter" in a sales thread other than in the context of console wars. there is ZERO other reason to bring up that statement. There are multiple reasons why Xbox Sales would be important. By saying "why would it matter what it sold" it would only apply to you thinking in terms of it not mattering because it's not selling near the PS4. That is console wars no matter how harsh i may make it sound. You going insulting me with "rabbid fanboy" is completely unnecessary, and it you basically just desperately trying to spin your mistakes back at me.

Here is your post tell me what other context this could be in:

You guys arguing back and forth are missing the point here. MS know they've clearly lost this gen. They've been eyeing next gen and planning for it hard I bet. All these acquisitions, strategy changes etc, they're all for next gen (Not just plans to release the next box and that's it). I don't know why you're even bothering with numbers like 36 or 40 or 45 like it makes any difference now. Have 50. They're still way behind and makes no difference. Just ride this one out and eye what they're doing for the next big one.

This is literally fanboy wars, There's no other way about it. get mad at me all you want this is what you did, there is no other context it could be in. You entered to say there was "no point" even though there are other reasons why Xbox sales are important than whether it's going to catch up to the PS4. It's not always about the war and winners and losers.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Sir there is no other way you would say "why do sales matter" in a sales thread other than in the context of console wars. there is ZERO other reason to bring up that statement. There are multiple reasons why Xbox Sales would be important. By saying "why would it matter what it sold" it would only apply to you thinking in terms of it not mattering because it's not selling near the PS4. That is console wars no matter how harsh i may make it sound. You going insulting me with "rabbid fanboy" is completely unnecessary, and it you basically just desperately trying to spin your mistakes back at me.

Here is your post tell me what other context this could be in:

This is literally fanboy wars, There's no other way about it. get mad at me all you want this is what you did, there is no other context it could be in. You entered to say there was "no point" even though there are other reasons why Xbox sales are important than whether it's going to catch up to the PS4.
Literally read the rest of the fucking post you quoted. Or did you just stop at the bolded part? I literally explain in the lines that follow. Are you the kind that likes to take things out of context?

Literally read the rest of the fucking post you quoted. Or did you just stop at the bolded part? I literally explain in the lines that follow. Are you the kind that likes to take things out of context?

Out of contest? That's the back-pedal you're going to go with? Here's the whole post I quoted the whole post:

If after all they're doing now for next gen they still f up, then let's talk.

Look at all those lines, the ONE line that was missing. ONE line.

It's in context Mr. "They're still way behind and makes no difference" "I don't know why you're bothering with numbers."

Again there's more to talking about sales than console wars. Insult me and curse all you want this is your entire post and the whole point of it was to ask why people were bothering talking about sales because Xbox "lost' and are way behind. There are other reasons to talk about Xbox than with sales wars and comparing it to the PS4. Especially when it's important to have momentum into next gen.

Pic below in case you try editing.

ojoEC8V.png

Last edited:

You said to ignore this gen and that MS is preparing for next gen. In what context is there that makes any sense to ignore between now and possibly 2020? Yes sales are not going to change much but why forget this gen? Microsoft is also doing away with generations leaps where everyone must start over. Your games will carry forward. My PC will also play Crackdown 3 and next Xbox titles.

The context has changed, it's no longer about generations and who sold the most units. Game Pass is also changing the context of how we measure metrics of success and its making all the console warriors running around with their heads cut off.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We also get it, you love them. I find it amusing how Sony can't have any disadvantage to some of you. The PS4 is a great system, killing the others. They also have some of the best studios and great scouting for getting deals done.

They are not perfect though, PS Now is the base level and all others should be striving to offer a better service than they are providing. Is that really offensive to you to hear that? Sony does not seem to care that much about it. In fact aside from the PS4 hardware and software for it, it seems as though Sony is not that focused on anything else. Even PSVR is getting little attention.

Never said they were perfect, just challenged the posts with just because MS is PRing their streaming right now, does not mean Sony is also making moves (those very posts hand waving their efforts away... over... PR), and to not be disingenuous to think their experience with it already is not an advantage to them internally. The mentality of "what you see is what you get", ignoring they have been improving it, and adding features as well.

I love gaming, yes. Otherwise I would not be here.

Last edited:
Never said they were perfect, just challenged the posts with just because MS is PRing their streaming right now, does not mean Sony is also making moves (those very posts hand waving their efforts away... over... PR), and to not be disingenuous to think their experience with it already is not an advantage to them internally. The mentality of "what you see is what you get", ignoring they have been improving it, and adding features as well.

I love gaming, yes. Otherwise I would not be here.
I found your post to me offensive. To suggest I don't like Sony is the definition of disengenuous. There is a huge difference between the respect I have for Sony and the rabid fanbase they seem to influence.

Sony does not have the infrastructure or the capital to compete with Google, Amazon and Microsoft. Xbox Live was such a leap over PSN years ago, so to somehow think Sony has more experience in this field of streaming is laughable just because they are not offering it yet.

I have used PS Now, it can only get better and the feedback from Google's service has been nothing but positive. I expect the same from Microsoft. Sony is a company that moves very slowly, so don't expect PSNow to suddenly catch up anytime soon. The best option for them would be to piggyback off of somebody else but their pride will hold them back from using Azure servers.

TLZ

Banned
Out of contest? That's the back-pedal you're going to go with? Here's the whole post I quoted the whole post:

It's in context Mr. "They're still way behind and makes no difference" "I don't know why you're bothering with numbers."

Again there's more to talking about sales than console wars. Insult me and curse all you want this is your entire post and the whole point of it was to ask why people were bothering talking about sales because Xbox "lost' and are way behind. There are other reasons to talk about Xbox than with sales wars and comparing it to the PS4. Especially when it's important to have momentum into next gen.

ojoEC8V.png
Wahahah. You are hilarious indeed.

You quoted the whole post, and bolded the parts that offend you. Lol. Read the unbolded parts, mister.

And I have a serious question for you. So I'm Phil Spencer, and I'm in the meeting room with my people, I say, "So we're clearly way behind this generation and it's pretty clear we're never catching up with Sony now. What can we do to make sure this does not happen for the next generation?". Is he instigating console wars? Will the others in the meeting call him out being a Sony fanboy? Or, wait a minute, will they talk about and plan ahead strategies for next generation that would ensure they don't do the same mistakes they did this generation, try take the lead and be more competitive on all fronts?

And lol at the last part of trying to accuse me of editing my posts. Man you're trying hard. Keep trying.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I'll admit to some impatience, but Jon Peddie Research seems reputable. Founded in 2001, and Anandtech has used them as a source for at least a couple years on graphics card demand. It seems like they've been doing industry reporting for a long time and this is just the first time any of their data has hit the gamer radar.

I really think the report might be legit, but again -- I'd love to see literally anything that can contradict it.
Its funny you ask this knowing full well that Microsoft doesnt disclose sales figures for hardware or software. They're a service based company. Player engagements are the order of the day and has been for some time now.

This disclaimer does say that the information is in accurate. What you're saying is that you'll accept admittedly inaccurate information and runaway with it if no one can refute the numbers in the article - which arent available?? ......LOL! Okay....have at it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You ABSOLUTELY can say this. PS Now lags behind in every way viable. XCloud is launching off the back of one of the most well established Cloud services on the planet. It is definitely the future. And that's just right around the corner. Dont kid yourself, fam.

Mattyp

Gold Member

Please don't, they need physical PS3's at the location to be able to stream an entire generation of games that currently gets qued when its to busy. Offer no offline download to a bunch of generations when the machines are capable of it, have no where near the infrastructure of Microsoft, download speeds and downtime have always been constantly worse on playstation now throw 80 million people streaming into the mix if it truly is the future, doesn't stream to any device and no where near close to it.

Microsoft have invested 10's of billions into it's cloud network and it's taken them probably a good decade to roll out to where it sits now. If Microsoft deliver on next gen to any device Sony will have a long scramble to catch up.

The future of being able to plug any device say the phone in your pocket into the TV in a hotel or a friends, or just the TV its self with an xbox app and pairing an xbox control and being able to play the latest games on release will make who ever gets this right billions. It's no mistake Google and Amazon are trying to get on this ride. A lot of us me included will continue with dedicated machines and physical copies, but I would have to have my head up my ass to not see the money waiting for the company who succeeds.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

ojoEC8V.png
I had a strong feeling you're M mad597 . Should've ignored you from the start.

Dude you literally made up a situation that never existed in your post your trolling. Your quote:

Nonsense. Also the only time H/G/F was a thing was 2012 and only 2012. 2013 has the Xbox one release with a bunch of new games.

If I say 8-9 years would you feel better about it? Kinect launched in 2010, and then end of gen for 360 was a warm bowl of turd from a first party perspective. And I was a 360 gamer (like many Europeans were) last gen. if I buy a Sony console I know they will come up with new franchises and 1st party games. Microsoft? I believe it when I see it. That day isn’t coming any day soon.

Shmunter

A book should be written on this; how to squander ones dominant position. Classes should be run on it, masters and phd’s aquired.

The basics

1. Ignore and actively neglect first party offerings
2. Casualise your gaming system beyond recognition for the tv/sports/you are the controller crowd
3. Produce an under powered gaming system for more $ than the superior competition
4. Insult your customer base by telling them they can buy last gen 360 if they don’t like it

TLZ

Banned
A book should be written on this; how to squander ones dominant position. Classes should be run on it, masters and phd’s aquired.

The basics

2. Casualise your gaming system beyond recognition for the tv/sports/you are the controller crowd
3. Produce an under powered gaming system for more $ than the superior competition
4. Insult your customer base by telling them they can buy last gen 360 if they don’t like it
I'm glad they did a 180 on all these. Next gen should be interesting. I hope both come out guns blazing without silly mistakes.

Three

Game Pass is a choice, streaming is already confirmed too and they will no doubt offer its new titles on it too. EA Access is also a choice. I know it's hard to catch up seeing as how Sony is finally allowing console crossplay and baiting everyone with one title, a beta test at that,of what choice really means.

He doesn't think Sony can't have a disadvantage it's you who keeps trying to downplay anything they do even when they do it.

'it took them ages to add PS4 games to streaming'. Yeah but they have a streaming service before the others have even started and there is nothing wrong with PSNow and there is nothing to suggest others would do a better job other than your love for MS and hate for Sony. They add a name change 'its a band-aid'. They have PSVR and the competition dont and 'they don't pay much attention'. The downplaying of anything they do is at a stage where whenever I read your posts it's almost always a complaint about whatever they do. It's funny because they have released about the same amount of PSVR games this year (Astrobot, Wipeout omega collection and Firewall) than MS have actual regular XB1 games. You just downplay everything though.

Last edited:

Three

Please don't, they need physical PS3's at the location to be able to stream an entire generation of games that currently gets qued when its to busy.Microsoft have invested 10's of billions into it's cloud network and it's taken them probably a good decade to roll out to where it sits now.
They are not physical PS3s they are Cell server blades with nvidia graphics cards. The same will be true of xCloud they will need to install xbox one blades so MS still need to do a rollout too.

Shaqazooloo

About 2 million lower than I thought.

I mean, outside of North America the UK and Germany, I'm pretty sure Xbox One is dead tbh...

iconmaster

Banned
Its funny you ask this knowing full well that Microsoft doesnt disclose sales figures for hardware or software. They're a service based company. Player engagements are the order of the day and has been for some time now.

This disclaimer does say that the information is in accurate. What you're saying is that you'll accept admittedly inaccurate information and runaway with it if no one can refute the numbers in the article - which arent available?? ......LOL! Okay....have at it.

Alright, I can see I'm just irritating people by... harping on the data that started the whole thread, but sure.

No one "admitted" the data is inaccurate. JPR acknowledged that its data may not be perfectly accurate, as I would expect any reputable data vendor to do.

I understand that counter-evidence is hard to come by, because of Microsoft's secrecy. I'm willing to set this report aside for now as "interesting, but in need of further corroboration."

mckmas8808

You ABSOLUTELY can say this. PS Now lags behind in every way viable. XCloud is launching off the back of one of the most well established Cloud services on the planet. It is definitely the future. And that's just right around the corner. Dont kid yourself, fam.
Please don't, they need physical PS3's at the location to be able to stream an entire generation of games that currently gets qued when its to busy. Offer no offline download to a bunch of generations when the machines are capable of it, have no where near the infrastructure of Microsoft, download speeds and downtime have always been constantly worse on playstation now throw 80 million people streaming into the mix if it truly is the future, doesn't stream to any device and no where near close to it.

Microsoft have invested 10's of billions into it's cloud network and it's taken them probably a good decade to roll out to where it sits now. If Microsoft deliver on next gen to any device Sony will have a long scramble to catch up.

The future of being able to plug any device say the phone in your pocket into the TV in a hotel or a friends, or just the TV its self with an xbox app and pairing an xbox control and being able to play the latest games on release will make who ever gets this right billions. It's no mistake Google and Amazon are trying to get on this ride. A lot of us me included will continue with dedicated machines and physical copies, but I would have to have my head up my ass to not see the money waiting for the company who succeeds.

Fanboys wow! Put the cape down and at least allow MS to talk about xCloud and demonstrate how it works first.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Fanboys wow! Put the cape down and at least allow MS to talk about xCloud and demonstrate how it works first.

I get the feeling that XO18 is when we will learn a little bit more. Microsoft has already explained how this is working in their tests. I'll provide a link.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2018/10/08/project-xcloud-gaming-with-you-at-the-center/

"Microsoft — with our nearly 40 years of gaming experience starting with PC, as well as our breadth and depth of capabilities from software to hardware and deep experience of being a platform company — is well equipped to address the complex challenge of cloud game-streaming. With datacenters in 54 Azure regions and services available in 140 countries, Azure has the scale to deliver a great gaming experience for players worldwide, regardless of their location."

"Developers and researchers at Microsoft Research are creating ways to combat latency through advances in networking topology, and video encoding and decoding. Project xCloud will have the capability to make game streaming possible on 4G networks and will dynamically scale to push against the outer limits of what’s possible on 5G networks as they roll out globally. Currently, the test experience is running at 10 megabits per second. Our goal is to deliver high-quality experiences at the lowest possible bitrate that work across the widest possible networks, taking into consideration the uniqueness of every device and network."

You can't call people fanboys when the facts show this is already happening. A small bit of research goes a long way. So when people ask(not you specific, but others on this forum)..."how do you know it will stream Xbox 3 games to all devices." It has nothing to do with what system the games are on. That's not how this works. It is designed to stream literally anything they put on the service.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I get the feeling that XO18 is when we will learn a little bit more. Microsoft has already explained how this is working in their tests. I'll provide a link.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2018/10/08/project-xcloud-gaming-with-you-at-the-center/

"Microsoft — with our nearly 40 years of gaming experience starting with PC, as well as our breadth and depth of capabilities from software to hardware and deep experience of being a platform company — is well equipped to address the complex challenge of cloud game-streaming. With datacenters in 54 Azure regions and services available in 140 countries, Azure has the scale to deliver a great gaming experience for players worldwide, regardless of their location."

"Developers and researchers at Microsoft Research are creating ways to combat latency through advances in networking topology, and video encoding and decoding. Project xCloud will have the capability to make game streaming possible on 4G networks and will dynamically scale to push against the outer limits of what’s possible on 5G networks as they roll out globally. Currently, the test experience is running at 10 megabits per second. Our goal is to deliver high-quality experiences at the lowest possible bitrate that work across the widest possible networks, taking into consideration the uniqueness of every device and network."

You can't call people fanboys when the facts show this is already happening. A small bit of research goes a long way. So when people ask(not you specific, but others on this forum)..."how do you know it will stream Xbox 3 games to all devices." It has nothing to do with what system the games are on. That's not how this works. It is designed to stream literally anything they put on the service.

But you read that and think it will 100% work as they say it will without at least reading reports about the quality first. Why not just wait for the product to be released? Or at least be in beta form?

What can we do to make sure this does not happen for the next generation?"/QUOTE]

So ignoring your third attempt at back-pedaling.

This quote shows exactly why you are only focused on winners and losers. Sales of the Xbox One NOW can help with preparing FOR next generation. This doesn't take rocket science to figure out.

If I say 8-9 years would you feel better about it? Kinect launched in 2010, .

The issue is you made a false statement. Now whether you don't like these games is your opinion but they do exist.

Did you just decide to forget those non H/G/F FP games like Fable, Crackdown, N3 and others in 2010+?

You really can't say MS dropped the ball on FP until 2012. What's the one year and then the new console came out? Then Xbox 360 got several shared games from the Xbox one after that? Along wit it's own unique version of games like Horizon 2? Not seeing where the issue is here.

It seems more like everyone likes to make up this situation where MS dropped first party in the second half of the gen but that didn't really happen until the END of the gen.

if I buy a Sony console I know they will come up with new franchises and 1st party games.

Which is exactly what Microsoft did at the start of this gen.

If you were talking about recently than you'd make more sense but this weird belief the 360 dropped the ball in the "second half' when it was pretty much 1 year and then the successor came out just seems very misleading. Than for the Xbox One the first few years were filled with new and unique games (that over 70% flopped) so I think in your case it's more you're not interested in the games they put out. Which is fine.

What can we do to make sure this does not happen for the next generation?".

This quote shows exactly why you are only focused on winners and losers. Sales of the Xbox One NOW can help with preparing FOR next generation. This doesn't take rocket science to figure out.

I had a strong feeling you're M mad597 . Should've ignored you from the start.

Now you are running like a coward from your own lies:

1. Saying a post was out of context.

2. Saying I took out multiple lines when I didn't.

3. Lying about you fanboy warring.

Look you can hate Xbox as much as you want and be a coward and hit ignore instead of not responding because you don't have the capability of scrolling past something you don't agree with. but you are clearly dishonest/a liar, as proven above multiple times, and you came in this thread to ask "why people were bothering" and ALL I said was there's more to sales than console wars and you went nuts.

The whole argument was pointless and most of it was you trying to change what you posted to save face. But i guess you already knew that and decided not to dig further. Have a nice day.

Alright, I can see I'm just irritating people by... harping on the data that started the whole thread, but sure.

No one "admitted" the data is inaccurate. JPR acknowledged that its data may not be perfectly accurate, as I would expect any reputable data vendor to do.

I understand that counter-evidence is hard to come by, because of Microsoft's secrecy. I'm willing to set this report aside for now as "interesting, but in need of further corroboration."

Ok look man, I know you aren't really trying to cause any issues, you aren't really irritating anybody people just want to make sense of what you're saying. Because it seems you're trying to pick excuses now for believing these numbers.

The real question people have is why are THESE the numbers you decide to believe due to, primarily impatience and not the other "reports" that are just as or more reliable? Because JPR hasn't been a common source of gaming information and we've had many reports come out speculating Xbox sales. So it does seem a tad strange.

About 2 million lower than I thought.

I mean, outside of North America the UK and Germany, I'm pretty sure Xbox One is dead tbh...

Best selling console in Mexio, Leading in Ghana, France is still better than most other european countries. Eastern Europe it's ok. South America it's doing alright as well.

The basics

I mean to be perfectly honest with you only 3 applies. The launch months of the Xbox One showed that a lot of the stuff they 180'ed on didn't really effect the sales at all. Also 1 doesn't apply to the start of this gen.

Xbox One got hurt because of tier 1 and tier 2 countries. It was for several months only avaiable in 13 countries from the start but still sold 1 million in 24 hours like the PS4 and wasn't far from PS4 sales at the end of 2013 before January.

Later on the 13 country issue, along with being $500, was the main cause. People were not sure of the Xbox one's situation until TitanFall month, while still selling well, did not move as many Xbox's as hoped and forced them to cut Kinect off. But they were still fumbling around so went the crazy fire sale route the holiday of 2014. But they gave the PS4 too much space to run and were never able to catch up.

Tier 13 was always going to be a big problem for Xbox but I think things would be more interesting right now if Xbox was $400 from the start. Which was something they COULD change before launch. The 13 country launch was something they could not change because it was originally done for the old policies and then only changed the policies after like I think it was 70% manufactured shipments were already ready to go.

No
He doesn't think Sony can't have a disadvantage it's you who keeps trying to downplay anything they do even when they do it.

'it took them ages to add PS4 games to streaming'. Yeah but they have a streaming service before the others have even started and there is nothing wrong with PSNow and there is nothing to suggest others would do a better job other than your love for MS and hate for Sony. They add a name change 'its a band-aid'. They have PSVR and the competition dont and 'they don't pay much attention'. The downplaying of anything they do is at a stage where whenever I read your posts it's almost always a complaint about whatever they do. It's funny because they have released about the same amount of PSVR games this year (Astrobot, Wipeout omega collection and Firewall) than MS have actual regular XB1 games. You just downplay everything though.

Google is already doing a better job with its first title and to suggest there is nothing wrong with PS Now proves to me you haven't even tried it.

Like I said earlier, I don't hate Sony but they are far from perfect. The ps4 deserves to be selling well. Sony does not talk much about PS Now for a reason or disclose numbers for a reason. Funny how do many go after Microsoft for not releasing hard numbers but Sony has been playing the same games with the PS 3 right up to today with Now subscription numbers.

It's their rabid fanbase that Sony seems to cherish that I don't have much respect for. Ironically here they are once again in Xbox topics that they can't seem to get enough of.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Now you are running like a coward from your own lies:

1. Saying a post was out of context.

2. Saying I took out multiple lines when I didn't.

3. Lying about you fanboy warring.

Look you can hate Xbox as much as you want and be a coward and hit ignore instead of not responding because you don't have the capability of scrolling past something you don't agree with. but you are clearly dishonest/a liar, as proven above multiple times, and you came in this thread to ask "why people were bothering" and ALL I said was there's more to sales than console wars and you went nuts.

The whole argument was pointless and most of it was you trying to change what you posted to save face. But i guess you already knew that and decided not to dig further. Have a nice day.
You have issues mad597. When you mature, I'll be here.

You have issues mad597. When you mature, I'll be here.

I responded to you earlier and you had no retort but you want to reply to someone else instead and say they have issues and talk about maturity? To tell people to forget about this gen is absurd just because they are being outsold.

Mattyp

Gold Member

I was only making a post of evidence on why these two services are completely totally different if Microsoft delivers on its promise.

Top Bottom