• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox thought Bethesda/Zenimax was worth $10.5B at the time of purchase but they acquired them for $7.5B

Draugoth

Gold Member
(FYI) Xbox thought Bethesda was worth $10.5B at the time of purchase but they acquired them for $7.5B

F6Zf4CeW8AAdFjU

Without a doubt it was worth every penny.
The IP alone was worth Billions.
Starfield, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstien, Prey etc.
Then there is the technology side of it with idtech, and their streaming technology.
Then you have amazing studios like Arkane, Bethesda, Machine Games, Idtech etc.

Best buy ever.

NikuNashi

Then there is the technology side of it with idtech, and their streaming technology.

Best buy ever.

83 meta, 5th best first week sales of the year, -87% drop off on second week.

I wouldnt pay 7.5 million for them let alone billion.

A.Romero

I'm always amused at seeing people thinking they know better than professional analysts at these huge companies. These kind of decisions are not made because of Spencer's whims, they are well thought and analyzed situations that go through several hands before an offer is made.

I mean, they can still fail at obtaining the results they expect but putting a value on a company is math, not perception. If their analysts said they are worth 10 bil, they probably were.

Justin9mm

WTF? Starfield is a fucking banger, one of the best games so far this generation. People can try to talk shit about it to make themselves feel better, but it is fucking legit.
You defend Starfield like people are insulting your honour. The game is good, yes! A fucking banger? One of the best this generation? Not really

Let me say, I like the game but the game has issues. It has a critic score of 84 which imo is probably around where it should be, that doesn't translate to banger.

Starfield needed to be a lot better and it has failed to meet expectations of being a console seller or the reason people subscribe to game pass.

Perrott

Gold Member
I'm always amused at seeing people thinking they know better than professional analysts at these huge companies. These kind of decisions are not made because of Spencer's whims, they are well thought and analyzed situations that go through several hands before an offer is made.

I mean, they can still fail at obtaining the results they expect but putting a value on a company is math, not perception. If their analysts said they are worth 10 bil, they probably were.
Reminder that you're defending the same "analysts" who have projected a target of 100M Game Pass users by 2028 between console, PC, mobile and cloud.

It's 2023 and they're still stuck below 30M, so let me doubt the part about them "knowing better" than anyone with common sense around here.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
$7.5bn for all that IP and developers seems like a steal when compared to Activision.

Arguably the best gaming acquisition MS has made since the Xbox brand started, including Bungie/Halo.

Yeah, it's kind of gob smacking actually.

DOOM, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starfield, Dishonored, and now Hi-FI Rush, Ghostwire Tokyo, and Deathloop seems like a ridiculous amount of valuable IP for the amount Microsoft paid.

bender

What time is it?
The best days for a lot of the studios in the acquisition are long behind them, but the stable of IPs acquired is really valuable. Microsoft's ability to shepherd that IP is a valid concern.

83 meta, 5th best first week sales of the year, -87% drop off on second week.

I wouldnt pay 7.5 million for them let alone billion.
So Ghost of Tsushima is shit because it got a meta of 82? Obviously must be.

There were over two million people who paid for the game before it even released.
Over 10 million in a couple of weeks. It's massive, and growing.

Last edited:
EYou defend Starfield like people are insulting your honour. The game is good, yes! A fucking banger? One of the best this generation? Not really

Let me say, I like the game but the game has issues. It has a critic score of 84 which imo is probably around where it should be, that doesn't translate to banger.

Starfield needed to be a lot better and it has failed to meet expectations of being a console seller or the reason people subscribe to game pass.
People putting Starfield alongside Redfall, which is who I quoted are just trolling. Your energy should have been also pointed at that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I wonder what their valuation model is. Bethesda obviously has lots of great IP but you need to turn it into cash flow. If you buy Elder Scrolls, like yea ok you can resell Skyrim and that brings in a trickle of money but you're going to be investing $300M-$400M into the new game before you start seeing any real return.

So Ghost of Tsushima is shit because it got a meta of 82?
how long did you rifle through MC before you found a Sony exclusive you can drop in these convos lmao

Starfield is very disappointing. I was hoping for a Skyrim tier release, it's not even Fallout 4.

Last edited:
I wonder what their valuation model is. Bethesda obviously has lots of great IP but you need to turn it into cash flow. If you buy Elder Scrolls, like yea ok you can resell Skyrim and that brings in a trickle of money but you're going to be investing $300M-$400M into the new game before you start seeing any real return.

how long did you rifle through MC before you found a Sony exclusive you can drop in these convos lmao

Starfield is very disappointing. I was hoping for a Skyrim tier release, it's not even Fallout 4.
Isn't it all about Meta? I mean, it's what people keep throwing around. So let me guess, meta got it wrong with GOT?
Fact is most games, including Sony's, don't get over 90 meta.
People using that to troll Starfield are warring.

Well that is like Business 101. The name of the game is you always want to pay as little as possible and get a better ROI.

It’s not really newsworthy information / front page headline stuff that businesses like to save money. Sort of the whole point. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

NikuNashi

So GOT was expected to be really shit, but was only just shit, so that makes it a good game?
Fuck me, the mental gymnastics you trolls do to try and war is amazing. Hats off to you.

After a converstaion with the mods I am not at liberty to discuss this issue any further, enjoy the rest of your day.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tbh, great buy. Starfield, oblivion remake and fallout will be huge.

Owning ip like Doom and many more. They deffo got a deal.

Best buy ever.

GamePass subscriber growth has stagnated since acquiring Zenimax

Seems like so far it’s a dud. Did not meet their objectives at all

Last edited:
I'm sitting here playing it and loving it, while you are having to convince yourself that it sucks so it doesn't hurt so much.
You would love it.

Most outlets think it’s rather mid, tbh.

Im playing it and think it sucks. I was hoping it wouldn’t because there’s some cool stuff there but plagued by mediocrity across the board

Im shocked anyone would think it’s the best this gen has to offer

Last edited:
GamePass subscriber growth has stagnated since acquiring Zenimax

Seems like so far it’s a dud. Did not meet their objectives at all
It'd always going to be dependent on new content. No one is going to sit there and pay for a service they arnt using.
The fact that still have 25-30 million people on it prior to Starfield is amazing.

From this year on their is a constant stream of good Xbox first party games coming down the pipeline.
With the Bethesda leak, we even know a bit more.

So from 2024 - 2027 you will have the following games dropping into GP from Microsoft first parties.
Hellblade 2, Avowed, Towerborne, Forza Horizon 6, Aria History Untold, Contraband, Fable, South of Midnight, Clockwork Revolution, Perfect Dark, Doom Zero, Indiana Jones, New Zenimax Online Game, Everwild, Gears 6, Ghostwire 2, The Outer Worlds 2, New Halo, New Double Fine Games etc etc etc.

And, on top of that, if ABK goes through, all Activision and Blizzard games into Gamepass every year, plus the back catalogue.

You don't think Gamepass is going to boom with all that content?
The biggest thing MS needs to do is sell 12 month and 6 month subs.

Top Bottom