• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney says Indiana Jones Xbox exclusivity deal ‘made financial and strategic sense' and leaving out PlayStation didn’t feel “overly exclusionary”

While the untitled game was originally set to come to PlayStation too, it was recently confirmed that it will be an Xbox and PC exclusive, and a day-one release on Game Pass.

The terms of Disney’s agreement with Bethesda were renegotiated after Microsoft acquired the studio’s parent company, ZeniMax Media, for $7.5 billion in 2021.

Disney’s head of gaming, Sean Shoptaw, told Axios: With “Xbox still being one of the bigger marketplaces for games, we didn’t feel like we were going to be overly exclusionary. We felt like it’s still going to reach a broad set of folks, and we felt, financially and strategically for the game, that made sense at the time.”

Announced in January 2021, Indiana Jones is in development at MachineGames, the Swedish studio behind the modern Wolfenstein games.

Bethesda game director Todd Howard, who is serving as executive producer on the game, and whose favourite film is Raiders of the Lost Ark, said of its genre last year: “I would just say it’s a mash-up. It is a unique, it isn’t one thing intentionally, so it does a lot of different things”.

The head of Disney-owned Marvel Games has previously claimed that Xbox turned down an opportunity to make licensed games, shortly before Sony struck a deal to make Spider-Man for PS4.

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
“At this time” change the meaning.

It seems that they have take a look at the difference between Xbox and Playstation sales and now understand this decision doesn’t made any sense financially . Hope they will not make the same with Blade. Even more with the majority of Marvel fans on Playstation because of Spiderman and Wolverine exclusivity.

Last edited:

Spitfire098

I don't know if Disney gets off the same way as MS with engagement numbers. Also indy of all IPs, lol boomer franchise.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Disney’s head of gaming, Sean Shoptaw, told Axios: With “Xbox still being one of the bigger marketplaces for games, we didn’t feel like we were going to be overly exclusionary. We felt like it’s still going to reach a broad set of folks, and we felt, financially and strategically for the game, that made sense at the time.”

BCexWIZ.jpg

cireza

Common sense. Work on making your ecosystem bigger, rather than paying your competitors every time you sell a game on their platforms.

Are we going to get this discussion with every First Game Xbox will release in the future ?

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
"Todd Howard, who is serving as executive producer on the game, and whose favourite film is Raiders of the Lost Ark, said of its genre last year: “I would just say it’s a mash-up. It is a unique, it isn’t one thing intentionally, so it does a lot of different things”.

Frustrated Head GIF

Corporate speak can just fuck off, you come across as a moron

If it wasn’t exclusive, then there’s something wrong inside the Xbox division.
How else are you supposed to attract potential new gamers to your ecosystem.

I have an easy solution for exclusives that I figured out decades ago.
Your just gonna have to purchase all the hardware to run them….yeah, It’s an expensive hobby.

FrankWza

"Todd Howard, who is serving as executive producer on the game, and whose favourite film is Raiders of the Lost Ark, said of its genre last year: “I would just say it’s a mash-up. It is a unique, it isn’t one thing intentionally, so it does a lot of different things”.

Frustrated Head GIF

Corporate speak can just fuck off, you come across as a moron
It sounds like jedi fallen order maybe? I always felt they spread themselves too thin by not focusing on one area of gameplay in that. But puzzles definitely fit Indy and they can sub a whip and gun for a saber

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Judging by the box office of Dial of Destiny, they sure don't
I don't think the IP is all that important. Tomb Raider and Uncharted are both basically just retreads of Indiana Jones. No one really cares that much about any of the story in any of these series. All the IP does is slightly increase recognizability for casual gamers. Gamers like playing this type of game just fine, as seen in Tomb Raider, Uncharted and many other long running, successful games. No one is going to be playing Indiana Jones hoping for the next movie. They're going to play it if its a good game. Literally all they need is just an excuse to send the player off on an adventure, and then game needs to be good. That's about it. Obviously the studio making this also has experience with Nazi villain stuff, so that fits. It will probably be seen as a Wolfenstein spin-off more than anything.

Lupin25

"and we felt, financially and strategically for the game, that made sense at the time."

It's weird reading that in past tense as if they may not be feeling that now.

Sounds like they regret it.

Keeping the game off of the most popular platforms (halfway through the gen) doesn’t help improve the state of the IP whatsoever.

midnightAI

Breaking story: Having 25 million customers on Xbox and 300+ million potential PC customers is big enough market and you can survive not releasing your game on PlayStation platform with 50 million consoles sold...

Truly shocking.
If it's on gamepass do they really have that many customers? They certainly won't have that many sales.

Svejk

Being a Didney license, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it up and gets cancelled. If there's no trailer come next Summer, consider it dead.

MiguelItUp

It's kind of a odd subject for them to even be asked about. Exclusives happen in console gaming all the time, even on the smaller platforms. Nothing new.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure why there's been this new uproar regarding exclusives. It's nothing new, why is it being treated like it is? We're not suddenly going to enter a gaming space where exclusives don't exist.

Judging by the box office of Dial of Destiny, they sure don't
Bad/below average/incredibly mediocre film, show, book, or other source material =/= bad game. I know it's already been mentioned but Riddick is one of the most known examples. But there are plenty others out there that put out games that were "better" than their original source material.

midnightAI

Bad/below average/incredibly mediocre film, show, book, or other source material =/= bad game. I know it's already been mentioned but Riddick is one of the most known examples. But there are plenty others out there that put out games that were "better" than their original source material.
Oy, Riddick is an awesome film (as are Pitch Black and Chronicles)

R3TRODYCE

Makes sense.

I'd rather a MS exclusive than Sony any day because at least I'm not forced to play it on console and they don't delay the pc version like FF.

Breaking story: Having 25 million customers on Xbox and 300+ million potential PC customers is big enough market and you can survive not releasing your game on PlayStation platform with 50 million consoles sold...

Truly shocking.

Yeah! An additional potential 50m "purchasers" is absolutely worth nothing! We're good with trying out this devalued brand on a user base who only wants games on Games Pass! That way we make more money!

bruh.....you have to know that MS check was fat.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Oy, Riddick is an awesome film (as are Pitch Black and Chronicles)
A lot of people enjoyed them, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. But they were never truly highly acclaimed or anything like that. The games ended up getting a lot more praise and positive reception.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Truly shocking.
Yet that same numerical advantage couldn't even get Starfield to outsell Spiderman.

Truly shocking people can't figure this out. What's even more truly shocking is that you seem to be implying that all 300M PC users will be able to run Indiana Jones.

Truly shocking indeed.

Darsxx82

If it's on gamepass do they really have that many customers? They certainly won't have that many sales.

If it is due to the number of players, in fact it can only be positive for the IP that the game is more accessible and has the power to reach more people.
Let's remember (Xbox+PC+Xcloud+ GForce + all other third-party streaming subscriptions).

That said, it is said that MS will not also pay the license owner a percentage of the subscriptions.

Top Bottom