• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney says Indiana Jones Xbox exclusivity deal ‘made financial and strategic sense' and leaving out PlayStation didn’t feel “overly exclusionary”

Thirty7ven

Banned
Indiana Jones is one of the greatest Action heroes of all time. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade blows away anything the Uncharted series has ever done or ever will.

You’ve got to be kidding me. You should lose your Man Card over this.

Uh we are talking about different things here. Indiana Jones is iconic because Harrison Ford plays him the way he does, and Spielberg shot him the way he shot him. It has nothing to do with who the character actually is, in fact, the only time adding depth to the character worked was in Crusade.

Yes Indiana Jones is iconic. And Superman is the most iconic super hero of all time. So what?

Man card? F out of here with that. Keep holding on to your childhood memories, maybe one of these days you will re watch the movies, realize how much slapstick it is, and how much everything you associate to the character of Indy is basically just… Harrison Ford. Which is why that franchise is done by the way, it’s over.

A2una1

Uh we are talking about different things here. Indiana Jones is iconic because Harrison Ford plays him the way he does, and Spielberg shot him the way he shot him. It has nothing to do with who the character actually is, in fact, the only time adding depth to the character worked was in Crusade.

Yes Indiana Jones is iconic. And Superman is the most iconic super hero of all time. So what?

Man card? F out of here with that. Keep holding on to your childhood memories, maybe one of these days you will re watch the movies, realize how much slapstick it is, and how much everything you associate to the character of Indy is basically just… Harrison Ford. Which is why that franchise is done by the way, it’s over.
Fate of Atlantis is very well in Fans mind. And it didn't had Harrison Ford... meeting the tone is way more important...

Flutta

Banned
Given the whisperings I've heard I doubt it'll be only on Xbox and PC in the end. No smoke without fire for me. Feels like when we all knew Insomniac were making an Xbox game.

Same with Blade and even Xbox Studios titles (to an extent). Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere by all accounts, but the publishing side is gonna be a lot more platform agnostic.

This is not surprising giving the fact that MS want’s to sell their HW that is collecting dust in stores and try to boost it’s stagnating GP numbers.

Both these games will have the same fate as Starfield and Redfall. Both won’t bring in the numbers MS wants. It’s like sending new games straight to the Xbox graveyard.

On PC i’m not so sure how they will do, 50/50 survival chance for both i would say.

I can't even imagine how much MS had to pay to keep this exclusive. Lol.

Of course given their recent track record, as well as Disney's, I highly doubt this is going to be a good game. They'll probably have you play as Phoebe Waller Bridge with a "rage against the patriarchy" button.

damidu

I need to watch the new Indy, but they needed to nail it. I don't see the point in making it unless you know its going to be amazing. Why bother?

Hopefully the game can be amazing.
its not as bad as some make it out to be, but they were extremely late to do it. guy is 80 y.o. you cant shake the feeling of uncanny valley throughout the film.
cant believe they wasted whole 90s

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
its not as bad as some make it out to be, but they were extremely late to do it. guy is 80 y.o. you cant shake the feeling of uncanny valley throughout the film.
cant believe they wasted whole 90s

I agree, always have a soft spot for indy, they deserved to do more films and sooner. Don't know why they waited so long.

Crayon

If they did have to negotiate with disney, either this is a strange choice for a get or they are doing it to save face from releasing a playstation game.

PaintTinJr

What?

Man. You really sound like those people who likes to talk too much without substance.

If game was multiplatform: Game would have XYZ budget and MachineGames is working on it with XYZ amount of staff
Game is exclusive: Game has same budget and same number of people are working on it.
That just isn't true and illustrates you don't understand how games are funded and the risk adverse options that need taken to avoid losing money on games, that either don't make it to market or losing money on overbudget games that will bomb or underperform.

In a typical situation the company fronting the costs of development make back the majority of the money, but in a licensed game work-for-hire situation that typically occurs, and where the publisher is usually the IP owner too they pay upfront initial developer funding against the project scope and production level to cover the dev to the first milestone payment. So the developer is effectively doing a work-for-hire project and only gets bonus money after release by metacritic scores being met and/or a small percentage bonus on sales profits after a threshold of millions of unit sales has been reached by the game.

The milestones are set out at key times to allow the funding party to assess the project formally, giving versatility to cancel or change project objectives and the funding scope too.

Changing an objective like taking exclusive upfront funding from a platform holder with inadequate full price paying customers to cover the hundreds of millions in dev cost of a Naughty dog uncharted conveys something about how that game is viewed by the dev funding party and how well it is doing in milestones; especially when the big money platform for sales has been removed. It certainly doesn't screen well funded game development.

Last edited:
I'm 35 and Indiana Jones isn't a big deal for people my age. The properly is rarely spoken of and if it is, it's not with much enthusiasm or desire.
So this IP likely has an audience for people in their mid forties and above. Plus the IP isn't that big to begin with.

So cutting out userbases for it seems like an odd choice for Disney, but then again the cash paid may have offset any risk for them.

I don’t see the issue. Wolverine will launch as a PS5 console exclusive. Indiana Jones will be on Xbox and PC at launch, so out the gate Indiana is already launching to a wider potential audience.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've owned every console since I could afford myself. I remember absolutely ripping the piss out of anyone buying an og xbox then I went to a friend's house, played 4 player co op a day went out and bought one...never looked back. I don't think I've ever regretted owning a console since.

Maybe it's just me but I only need a handful of good experiences to justify owning a console.

Even one game can make me buy a console, then something will come along to further justify it.

Hopefully this game is good enough to be a system seller for someone.

emivita

Is Indiana Jones going to be an Uncharted-like experience, or some FPS game? If the former, Disney just said "we don't like money and fuck PS5 and those million players and fans who are eager for an Uncharted-like game that'll probably never come out".

Damn, you smoked his meat. You cooked his ass.

StereoVsn

Is Indiana Jones going to be an Uncharted-like experience, or some FPS game? If the former, Disney just said "we don't like money and fuck PS5 and those million players and fans who are eager for an Uncharted-like game that'll probably never come out".
Apparently it’s an FPS which is just weird to me. Doesn’t seem like a good fit for the genre but we shall see.

skit_data

Apparently it’s an FPS which is just weird to me. Doesn’t seem like a good fit for the genre but we shall see.
Don't know what engine Indiana Jones will be on but I was actually surprised how good first person ledge/wall climbing feels in Doom Eternal, so if they do it in iD tech I could actually see it working.

Edit: Sort of applies to melee combat as well

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Don't know what engine Indiana Jones will be on but I was actually surprised how good first person ledge/wall climbing feels in Doom Eternal, so if they do it in iD tech I could actually see it working.

Edit: Sort of applies to melee combat as well
It’s possible but still would be weird for me. Indiana Jones should be 3rd person IMO. You don’t have the same sense of the whole getup, whip, hat, etc…

Maybe it’s just nostalgia talking with old Indy games.

Yes, because it would demonstrate that Disney believe the game will make more for them with their 70% of units sold, rather than the relatively small amount Xbox can justify for exclusivity to deny 10-20m potential sales on the console platform of choice where people primarily buy full priced games, and don't expect brand new high quality AAA £70 games for a few pounds day 1 on a rental per month service.

The risk of Disney losing money or profit increases massively unless they got a good amount in the $100m mark and believe the game will sell badly on PlayStation because it isn't a quality levels or enjoyment that the PlayStation audience would pay for.

You keep downplaying this aspect, but making games is very risky. Sony first party games are risk to hundreds of millions of dollars, and typically need at least two games from the 5-7years of development to cover the first game's dev costs and turn a great profit

How would they possibly know the quality of the game when making the deal 😆

The loops you will jump through for Xbox, insane.

fallingdove

Indiana Jones is one of the greatest Action heroes of all time. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade blows away anything the Uncharted series has ever done or ever will.

You’ve got to be kidding me. You should lose your Man Card over this.

Nah - you belong in a museum.

Seriously though, as much as I love Indiana Jones, he is a movie hero not a video game hero. I don’t know that you can replicate the greatness of the original 3 movies in a 30 hour video game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yes, because it would demonstrate that Disney believe the game will make more for them with their 70% of units sold, rather than the relatively small amount Xbox can justify for exclusivity to deny 10-20m potential sales on the console platform of choice where people primarily buy full priced games, and don't expect brand new high quality AAA £70 games for a few pounds day 1 on a rental per month service.

The risk of Disney losing money or profit increases massively unless they got a good amount in the $100m mark and believe the game will sell badly on PlayStation because it isn't a quality levels or enjoyment that the PlayStation audience would pay for.

You keep downplaying this aspect, but making games is very risky. Sony first party games are risk to hundreds of millions of dollars, and typically need at least two games from the 5-7years of development to cover the first game's dev costs and turn a great profit

12d.jpg

Curious how they game plays. I wonder if gameplay will be revealed during the next Xbox showcase? Or it is still far in the development. With modern dev timelines, you can't really tell the state of the game...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Curious how they game plays. I wonder if gameplay will be revealed during the next Xbox showcase? Or it is still far in the development. With modern dev timelines, you can't really tell the state of the game...

Todd said they'll talk about it in 2024 when asked in a Starfield interview after that game came out. So, I'm guessing the marketing machine is getting ready to ramp up on that, now that Starfield is out.

BbMajor7th

Not an IP I'd want to tackle on the back of five Uncharted games and three Tomb Raider games - can't be much tread left on the tires of the action-adventure-with-historical-mcguffin genre.

PaintTinJr

How would they possibly know the quality of the game when making the deal 😆

The loops you will jump through for Xbox, insane.
If you had bothered to read my previous reply in the thread where I explained how milestone payments allow a company to fund a game and adjust as necessary you'd understand that Disney would be well aware of how well the game was tracking its milestone quality objectives, at each financial investment point for them.

When a company has - lets take a random extrapolation - $20m invested by development of the Alpha version running, and that Alpha version is way off of contemporary AAA and AA visuals, having missed milestones along the way, and with feature creep - say for argument sake RT becomes a thing part way through development- and your intern projections of the game's final quality, versus asking price, versus sales expectations, versus further investment to reach beyond that, to top tier AAA quality and good critical reception and heavy marketing in the tens of millions of dollars, and the need for a sequel to turn the whole 7-9 investment it into a big financial win, sometimes it cheaper to cancel a game....or if someone steps in with $50m and an open cheque book to keep development and marketing going, let them have exclusive rights on their platforms of choice, even if for a userbase that want to rent rather than buy.

You'd have made back your losses and turned a profit, with the only risk being they might do amazing with it being a huge hit at a cheap budget, losing you 70% on difference in what you made from the $50m versus 70% of the total return... or they damage the IP with a stinker and you made $30m off $20m.

Even in the first scenario of a hit game you would still be there for the sequel's 70%, and would own the codebase and be able to do multiplatform on the sequel in all likelihood, so would still be a lower risk win.

If you think work-for-hire deals aren't subject to on going assessment on quality at milestones then you'd be very wrong. At the point Microsoft joined the deal and paid for exclusivity, Disney would have had a clear idea of what their own risk assessment said the quality of the end product for them would likely be, and would have been happy to make money and hope Microsoft proved them wrong for the sake of the IP and opportunity to make more money of follow up games.

If you had bothered to read my previous reply in the thread where I explained how milestone payments allow a company to fund a game and adjust as necessary you'd understand that Disney would be well aware of how well the game was tracking its milestone quality objectives, at each financial investment point for them.

When a company has - lets take a random extrapolation - $20m invested by development of the Alpha version running, and that Alpha version is way off of contemporary AAA and AA visuals, having missed milestones along the way, and with feature creep - say for argument sake RT becomes a thing part way through development- and your intern projections of the game's final quality, versus asking price, versus sales expectations, versus further investment to reach beyond that, to top tier AAA quality and good critical reception and heavy marketing in the tens of millions of dollars, and the need for a sequel to turn the whole 7-9 investment it into a big financial win, sometimes it cheaper to cancel a game....or if someone steps in with $50m and an open cheque book to keep development and marketing going, let them have exclusive rights on their platforms of choice, even if for a userbase that want to rent rather than buy.

You'd have made back your losses and turned a profit, with the only risk being they might do amazing with it being a huge hit at a cheap budget, losing you 70% on difference in what you made from the $50m versus 70% of the total return... or they damage the IP with a stinker and you made $30m off $20m.

Even in the first scenario of a hit game you would still be there for the sequel's 70%, and would own the codebase and be able to do multiplatform on the sequel in all likelihood, so would still be a lower risk win.

If you think work-for-hire deals aren't subject to on going assessment on quality at milestones then you'd be very wrong. At the point Microsoft joined the deal and paid for exclusivity, Disney would have had a clear idea of what their own risk assessment said the quality of the end product for them would likely be, and would have been happy to make money and hope Microsoft proved them wrong for the sake of the IP and opportunity to make more money of follow up games.

i feel bad for you bill hader GIF by Team Coco

At least you shills have your bases covered. Some of you are arguing that Indy is a dead franchise and Disney is happy to get whatever money from it that they can and some of you are arguing that Disney is meticulously monitoring development of the early alpha and adjusting all of their projections accordingly. Well done.

VulcanRaven

Nah - you belong in a museum.

Seriously though, as much as I love Indiana Jones, he is a movie hero not a video game hero. I don’t know that you can replicate the greatness of the original 3 movies in a 30 hour video game.
It will be very hard if the gameplay is in first person.

Last edited:
I can't even imagine how much MS had to pay to keep this exclusive. Lol.
It's not the 80's.

Indiana Jones as a franchise isn't that much nowadays. Only had 3 good movies and the last one came out in 1989.

At this point the game will be a hit only if it's good...not because it's an Indiana Jones game. I really don't imagine the IP being that strong, specially in gaming. (i won't even mention how big of a glop the last movie was)

Ar¢tos

They just need to remake Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, the best Indy game ever. Shouldn't be hard.

PaintTinJr

i feel bad for you bill hader GIF by Team Coco

At least you shills have your bases covered. Some of you are arguing that Indy is a dead franchise and Disney is happy to get whatever money from it that they can and some of you are arguing that Disney is meticulously monitoring development of the early alpha and adjusting all of their projections accordingly. Well done.
I'm certainly not saying the IP is dead. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the new film on Disney+ only yesterday and feel much like Solo it is a great watch, never quite as good as Lucas' originals but very enjoyable, lots to think about way after the films have finished.

The recent Indy film is likely to be held in a different regard after Christmas when many families uninfluenced by the noise of professional film reviews and box office takings enjoy it, IMO. I'm a huge Lucas fan and I would love for this game to be a reason to plug a pad into an improved PC in 2024, but as I previously outlined, Disney know games are risky first hand, and how development works and on balance have taken a cheque and defunded the project themselves - most likely - instead of continuing on with risk to get 70% of selling on PlayStation.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
The only thing Disney is concerned with is how much money they can make from this. As long as Microsoft covers the potential loss of reveue from not releasing on Playstation, Disney doesn't care.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The only thing Disney is concerned with is how much money they can make from this. As long as Microsoft covers the potential loss of reveue from not releasing on Playstation, Disney doesn't care.
They still do if the IP does not get the exposure it needs. But then again this is the Disney that mismanaged their very last Harrison Ford’s Indiana Jones so well… they know business I guess… :rolleyes:

amigastar

I was seriously impressed with the De-aging process on the newest Indiana Jones. It looked so natural.
Anyways i have game pass and will for sure try out this new game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom