• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox + Starfield Showcase | OT | Phil'shank Redemption | 3:00 am AEST | 2:30 am ACST | 1:00 am AWST (12 June) United States – 10:00 am PT | 1:00 pm ET

Do you think the Xbox Showcase will be good?

• Yes

Votes: 143 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • It will destroy Summer Game Fest 2023

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • It will destroy the terrible PlayStation Showcase 2023

Votes: 61 21.4%
  • Starfield will be Game of The Year regardeless

Votes: 16 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mansoor1980

Gold Member
wish this was on ps5 too , as a sony fan im jelly

xbox-p3.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
That show last night was so good but Avowed looked bad :messenger_grimmacing_

I'll be getting Persona 3 Reload, Persona 5 Tactica, Hellblade 2, Cities: Skylines 2, Flight Sim 2024, Forza, Starfield, Metaphor, and have already preordered Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty! :messenger_smiling:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It was OK, still bullshit videos with zero gameplay (Fable/Hellblade 2) with some "2024" generic release dates slapped on them, a couple of indies, Awoved which looked like TES lite, the usual Forza and of course and Starfield which while it did look good, begs to be played either on PC or the incoming XSX Pro due to the technical shortcomings i.e : framerate, the DF video will be interesting to say the least.
It's funny, for me, the most interesting game showed was the Capcom Japanese lore one since it looked really different aesthetically-wise to most games out there.
In the end, it was still "coming next year" stuff mostly with zero real gameplay - same shit with the Sony uber-mediocre showcase and yet, people appear to be losing their marbles over the Xbox one shouting "Best thing everrrr !!1!" , how ? In my opinion, it's due to the aforementioned 2+ years exclusives/AAA banger draught, 'cause outside of Starfield and Forza the rest are still of unknown quality not to mention, the generic "2024" release dates don't mean anything in the end since - especially nowadays - things change frequently and get postponed 99% of the time.

Unfortunately, these topics are always bound to bring out the worst of people 'cause, let's not kid ourselves, this has got more to do with Console X Vs Console Y list wars and not the games presented per se.

Some people are so desperate for the proverbial "win" after years of empty promises that they'll take/gobble up anything really where everything is supposedly "GOTY !!!".
Also - and always unfortunately - the true diehard "fans" and trolls have come out the woodwork - where were all these people hiding ? I've seen accounts that were dormant for months/years suddenly appearing as to exact justice on the "infidels" by upvoting/liking every positive auto-fellatio post and "LOL"- emoji every other critical post , things are so transparent that it's actually funny depressing ;)
There's literal fanboys like S Sacred amongst others that has made disliking/LOL'ing at critical post his life mission for the past 24 hours, how pathetic and miserable can some people be, video games = serious business apparently, am i right ?

People have the right to enjoy whatever they enjoy, putting too much faith though in - literally - "coming soon®" commercials is...not good - and this goes for every plastic box company/maker out there.

Cheerio

Last edited:

Loope

Not much interested me in this show. I am annoyed that everyone is praising it.
It was a decent show but starfield did not need 45 min super loaded trailer
Starfield looks great.... just too big and too intimidating honestly. it should be a good thing but it is just intimidating
Wtf? You're annoyed because people liked something? Are you serious?

I only care about Avowed and Starfield, and was pleasantly surprised with Clockwork (i love Bioshock Infinite) and i understand people getting all excited. Can't really understand the need to shit on something, just because other people like it and there are several doing that here. Same thing to the ones going purposely on the Sony thread to shit on the show they did.

LastBattle

It was OK, still bullshit videos with zero gameplay (Fable/Hellblade 2) with some "2024" generic release dates slapped on them, a couple of indies, Awoved which looked like TES lite, the usual Forza and of course and Starfield which while it did look good, begs to be played either on PC or the incoming XSX Pro due to the technical shortcomings i.e : framerate, the DF video will be interesting to say the least.
It's funny, for me, the most interesting game showed was the Capcom Japanese lore one since it looked really different aesthetically-wise to most games out there.
In the end, it was still "coming next year" stuff mostly with zero real gameplay - same shit with the Sony uber-mediocre showcase and yet, people appear to be losing their marbles over the Xbox one shouting "Best thing everrrr !!1!" , how ? In my opinion, it's due to the aforementioned 2+ years exclusives/AAA banger draught, 'cause outside of Starfield and Forza the rest are still of unknown quality not to mention, the generic "2024" release dates don't mean anything in the end since - especially nowadays - things change frequently and get postponed 99% of the time.

Unfortunately, these topics are always bound to bring out the worst of people 'cause, let's not kid ourselves, this has got more to do with Console X Vs Console Y list wars and not the games presented per se.

Some people are so desperate for the proverbial "win" after years of empty promises that they'll take/gobble up anything really where everything is supposedly "GOTY !!!".
Also - and always unfortunately - the true diehard "fans" and trolls have come out the woodwork - where were all these people hiding ? I've seen accounts that were dormant for months/years suddenly appearing as to exact justice on the "infidels" by upvoting/liking every positive auto-fellatio post and "LOL"- emoji every other critical post , things are so transparent that it's actually funny depressing ;)
There's literal fanboys like S Sacred amongst others that has made disliking/LOL'ing at critical post his life mission for the past 24 hours, how pathetic and miserable can some people be, video games = serious business apparently, am i right ?

People have the right to enjoy whatever they enjoy, putting too much faith though in - literally - "coming soon®" commercials is...not good - and this goes for every plastic box company/maker out there.

Cheerio
Strange how any, ANY positive sentiment/narrative surrounding Xbox sends some folks around here into an emotional meltdown.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Strange how any, ANY positive sentiment/narrative surrounding Xbox sends some folks around here into an emotional meltdown.

Friend, the persecution complex some of you continue to display is just weird to say the least.

You have to understand, not everyone in here is 18-20 years old, not everyone is interested in e-fighting® with others for multi-billion companies and list wars®.

There's a difference between expressing your opinion - be it positive or negative - and giving every opinion that doesn't align with yours a negative connotation and/or a lol emoji/passive-aggressive remark like you did.

This is a public discussion forum, people are allowed to express their opinions - unless of course you and others prohibit us from doing so for whatever reason.

Last edited:

LastBattle

There were a couple of people on here almost account suiciding over the Xbox show and Starfield deep dive last night. I was actually blown away this morning when i saw they werent even banned.
Some poeple have problems, honestly they do.
I find it really bizarre behaviour that it upsets some individuals so much to see others enjoying and being excited about their hobby. It’s actually pretty pathetic and juvenile. We’re just disussing video games after all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

NahaNago

I thought the show was pretty good to okay. I will say I havent watch the starfield gameplay portion yet. Nothing really wowed me but I thought the show was pretty solid. A lot of sega in this show.

cireza

but Xbox.....freaking Xbox of all places showed some hype in Japanese games.
They always have Japanese third parties at their shows. They unveiled Elden Ring, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Tales of Arise, Scarlet Nexus, PSO2NG during their shows etc...

Skyrim is my most played game of all time and Starfield has me more excited than I was before Skyrim. Definitely one of the best presentations for a game ever. The rest of the conference was also great. Avowed actually looks really good to me, not getting all the hate here. Glad it is a 2024 game, because Starfield is going to take over my life this year. Fable was odd, it seemed like some of it might have been gameplay, but I can't really tell. Seems like Playground might be trying to do something very new. Excited to see more of that on the 13th. Loved the Yakuza reveal too!

mako

This has probably been answered elsewhere, but I'm retarded.

Does the premium edition upgrade for Starfield apply to the gamepass version?

So it's been a couple days since the Showcase and in light of some additional news (including a few controversies)...I think I have to lower my grade for this showcase from an 8/10 (or 8.25/10) to a 7/10. If I'm being charitable, a max 7.25/10. I'll explain why.

First: Fable. And this is where there's some controversy. Apparently the bits in the trailer I thought were gameplay (or at least in-engine captures of gameplay with UI elements removed) may have just in fact been staged animations mimicking gameplay in an otherwise in-engine trailer. Or, it could have even been CGI (as in, rendered offline on an animation farm), which seems to be what a senior artist involved with the trailer mentioned. IMO, I think it's somewhere in the middle: the brief "gameplay" snippets were not gameplay, but were captured in-engine and edited/cut to frame into a cinematic trailer.

Then there's the fact two other trailers of MS 1P games revealed (Compulsion & inXile's games) were almost note-for-note ripoffs of trailers for two other very well-known games. TLOU Part 2 and Bioshock Infinite, respectively. I mean it's one thing if you take inspiration from those, sure. But there's comparisons going around showing frames and stuff outright copy-pasted from the other two games in the trailers for those MS releases with minimal differences. It's just surprising to see how blatant a good deal of it is.

And now, there are some negative things coming out about Starfield. No 60 FPS options on console practically confirmed, which is wild to me considering it doesn't look at as good as something like HFW or Burning Shores, doesn't have that much going on on-screen compared to those games, and yet on PS5 60 FPS options are definitely present. And then to top that off, entering a building has a load screen! What is going on here? That's some PS2 GTA3/Scarface type of stuff. Now granted, how big are these buildings? Does the loading screen really matter if it's actually disguised to look like a seamless transition in the game? Those are things I need to see but, again, it's kind of like with the cutscene of leaving and landing on a planet. A small hit to the immersion results.

I think I've already expressed my disappointment with Avowed's visual change, but I'm also increasingly concerned about Hellblade II. Not that it'll be a bad game, just that it seems like it won't be much of a step up scope-wise over the original. And the original already looked quite good, so far I wouldn't say there's a huge jump visually for Hellblade II but that's maybe also due in part to how little of the game's been shown. I'm just not believing the combat or scale of exploration, or other mechanics, are going to be as robust or present as it seemed like was being hyped up last year.

In spite of all this, as well as things like the new Series S being overpriced for what it is, I still have to commend Microsoft for at least sharing more on their traditional 1P games than Sony did with their May showcase. I also, again, like the fact Microsoft are publishing some AA-style games; I would like if Sony shifted some of that live-service/GaaS budget to funding more AA-sized traditional games, even if most of those were to be done by 3P devs with Sony's help. As long as a good number of them leveraged classic Sony IP, it would be amazing but, they may or may not end up doing such a thing.

For those reasons, for some of the 3P game reveals (namely from Sega/Atlus, Capcom, and Dontnod), for some of the 1P reveals (trailers aside, Compulsion & inXile's games look interesting, and Fable looks like it's on the right track), for Starfield mostly showing off some solid stuff...I think a 7/10 is a fair score and I might be willing to bump that up to a 7.25/10 or 7.5/10 depending. So, it was still a better showcase than Sony's, but more dirt spilled out of Microsoft's after it occurred which has retroactively made it a worst conference as a result. So I would say it was not too much better than Sony's when considering post-Showcase confirmations and controversies (the 48-hour multiplat announcement embargo also factors into this). In fact, if some of the stuff Sony held back for SGF were at their own conference, their May Showcase would have been a solid 8.5/10 for me at the least, so I guess there's a lot to still be said about where Microsoft is currently at and what they still need to do in order to really get going again.

The good news there, though, is I still feel Sunday's showcase was a nice start towards that path, as will be Starfield. But the real test for them is what comes after and if they can sustain that momentum, or build it into something bigger. We're gonna find out one way or the other.

feynoob

Banned
First: Fable. And this is where there's some controversy. Apparently the bits in the trailer I thought were gameplay (or at least in-engine captures of gameplay with UI elements removed) may have just in fact been staged animations mimicking gameplay in an otherwise in-engine trailer. Or, it could have even been CGI (as in, rendered offline on an animation farm), which seems to be what a senior artist involved with the trailer mentioned. IMO, I think it's somewhere in the middle: the brief "gameplay" snippets were not gameplay, but were captured in-engine and edited/cut to frame into a cinematic trailer.
No gameplay means shit trailer
Then there's the fact two other trailers of MS 1P games revealed (Compulsion & inXile's games) were almost note-for-note ripoffs of trailers for two other very well-known games. TLOU Part 2 and Bioshock Infinite, respectively. I mean it's one thing if you take inspiration from those, sure. But there's comparisons going around showing frames and stuff outright copy-pasted from the other two games in the trailers for those MS releases with minimal differences. It's just surprising to see how blatant a good deal of it is.
Games take inspiration. Nothing is a rip off. Dont go full conspiracy.
nd now, there are some negative things coming out about Starfield. No 60 FPS options on console practically confirmed, which is wild to me considering it doesn't look at as good as something like HFW or Burning Shores, doesn't have that much going on on-screen compared to those games, and yet on PS5 60 FPS options are definitely present. And then to top that off, entering a building has a load screen! What is going on here? That's some PS2 GTA3/Scarface type of stuff. Now granted, how big are these buildings? Does the loading screen really matter if it's actually disguised to look like a seamless transition in the game? Those are things I need to see but, again, it's kind of like with the cutscene of leaving and landing on a planet. A small hit to the immersion results.
A game with that scope wont be able to sustain 60 fps like people are expecting. Why do you think rd2 is still on 30 fps?

I think I've already expressed my disappointment with Avowed's visual change, but I'm also increasingly concerned about Hellblade II. Not that it'll be a bad game, just that it seems like it won't be much of a step up scope-wise over the original. And the original already looked quite good, so far I wouldn't say there's a huge jump visually for Hellblade II but that's maybe also due in part to how little of the game's been shown. I'm just not believing the combat or scale of exploration, or other mechanics, are going to be as robust or present as it seemed like was being hyped up last year.
Avowed downgrade sucks bad.
Hell blade 2 has that gameplay type as last game.

I still have to commend Microsoft for at least sharing more on their traditional 1P games than Sony did with their May showcase. I also, again, like the fact Microsoft are publishing some AA-style games; I would like if Sony shifted some of that live-service/GaaS budget to funding more AA-sized traditional games, even if most of those were to be done by 3P devs with Sony's help. As long as a good number of them leveraged classic Sony IP, it would be amazing but, they may or may not end up doing such a thing.
I still find it weird that the role is being switched between the two company. MS were the live service publisher, while Sony was the SP publisher.
For those reasons, for some of the 3P game reveals (namely from Sega/Atlus, Capcom, and Dontnod), for some of the 1P reveals (trailers aside, Compulsion & inXile's games look interesting, and Fable looks like it's on the right track), for Starfield mostly showing off some solid stuff...I think a 7/10 is a fair score and I might be willing to bump that up to a 7.25/10 or 7.5/10 depending. So, it was still a better showcase than Sony's, but more dirt spilled out of Microsoft's after it occurred which has retroactively made it a worst conference as a result. So I would say it was not too much better than Sony's when considering post-Showcase confirmations and controversies (the 48-hour multiplat announcement embargo also factors into this). In fact, if some of the stuff Sony held back for SGF were at their own conference, their May Showcase would have been a solid 8.5/10 for me at the least, so I guess there's a lot to still be said about where Microsoft is currently at and what they still need to do in order to really get going again.
The show needed gameplay. Without starfield showcase, it would have been on par with Sony showcase. Its time both companies show gameplays.

After all the shit Sony got for their shit show this one was equally as bad. So much CGI or in engine trailers without gameplay is a joke.

The companies need to show gameplay - or majority gameplay mixed in with some hype CGI for an announcement not majority CGI.

If it wasn't for the second coming would be worse.

Last edited:
There were a couple of people on here almost account suiciding over the Xbox show and Starfield deep dive last night. I was actually blown away this morning when i saw they werent even banned.
Some poeple have problems, honestly they do.
Yeah that perplexes me to be honest why adults get so tribal over a particular gaming platform. I just go where the games that interest me the most are at. Up until recently it was PlayStation's exclusives, but now I'm preferring Xbox's offerings. Come September I'll probably buy an XBSX for Starfield if there isn't a pro model on the horizon.

I'm quite excited.🥳

feynoob

Banned
After all the shit Sony got for their shit show this one was equally as bad. So much CGI or in engine trailers without gameplay is a joke.

The companies need to show gameplay - or majority gameplay mixed in with some hype CGI for an announcement not majority CGI.

If it wasn't for the second coming would be worse.
Sony issue was live service games.
People would have been fine if they showed SP games like MS did.

No gameplay means shit trailer

I'd say it definitely weakens the trailer but it wasn't complete shit just because there wasn't gameplay. I mean we got more of an idea for Fable than, say, Concord.

Games take inspiration. Nothing is a rip off. Dont go full conspiracy.

This isn't a conspiracy. People are literally pulling up moments in those trailers where shots are like 99% identical to shots from TLOU2 and Bioshock Infinite trailers. That's more than simply being inspired.

A game with that scope wont be able to sustain 60 fps like people are expecting. Why do you think rd2 is still on 30 fps?

RDR2 was also made for last-gen consoles in mind with much weaker CPUs. Starfield doesn't have that limitation so, it's either due to Series S, or due to them using a horrid engine that can't be optimized for higher stable framerates.

Because I'll say this again, scope-wise there is nothing in Starfield shown so far that is more complex than other open-world games already out, in terms of what's actually happening on the screen or background systems running concurrently to action on-screen. Absolutely nothing.

But again, all that aside I think Starfield is looking like a very good game and should hopefully meet most expectations.

Avowed downgrade sucks bad.
Hell blade 2 has that gameplay type as last game.

I've been trying to avoid saying Avowed was a downgrade and it's still a bit hard to say that because the 2020 footage was CGI, but I was expecting something at least getting very close to that. Instead we've got something that looks more AA in budget, smaller in scope, and with a more whimsical/high fantasy artstyle than the dark fantasy the original trailer had.

I still find it weird that the role is being switched between the two company. MS were the live service publisher, while Sony was the SP publisher.

Don't think that has really changed yet, and it probably never will. It's just more Sony branching out with more MP-centric live-service games, and MS branching out with more single-player games. Microsoft already has Minecraft, Fallout '76, Elder Scrolls Online and to a lesser extent Sea of Thieves in terms of successful ongoing live-service games, whereas Sony only really have Destiny and GT7. And both of those combined aren't as big as say Minecraft.

The show needed gameplay. Without starfield showcase, it would have been on par with Sony showcase. Its time both companies show gameplays.

I agree with that. Ironically Ubisoft's showcase was the best in that regard: tons of gameplay for pretty much every game they showed. And uninterrupted gameplay at that; they didn't have the commentary cut away from what was shown.

Granted Sony had that as well with Spiderman 2, but their showcase was mainly mediocre because it simply paled in comparison to previous PS Showcases. For me, MS's showcase suffers because it turns out a lot of the good stuff was just for optics and had tons of asterisks & disclaimers hidden that didn't come out until afterwards.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah that perplexes me to be honest why adults get so tribal over a particular gaming platform.

99% of the time, it boils down to shaky finances.

Because I'll say this again, scope-wise there is nothing in Starfield shown so far that is more complex than other open-world games already out, in terms of what's actually happening on the screen or background systems running concurrently to action on-screen. Absolutely nothing.

You deduced this complexity of background systems across the entire game from a YouTube video?

Last edited:

Havoc2049

No, from the gameplay on hand that the team showed off. There are things you can infer by seeing the gameplay, too. We've done this for games since the beginning of gaming 😂
As for Bioshock series and Clockwork Revolution, of course there are going to be similarities, as they both have a steampunk setting and all the tropes that go along with it. Although I think Clockwork Rev leans more heavily into the British Victorian era steampunk style, while Bioshock has more of an American Industrial Revolution style.

The lead designer of Clockwork Rev, Jason Anderson, was also the one of the main designers of Arcanum, another steampunk RPG from 2001, back when the Bioshock series was still a wet dream.

As for Bioshock series and Clockwork Revolution, of course there are going to be similarities, as they both have a steampunk setting and all the tropes that go along with it. Although I think Clockwork Rev leans more heavily into the British Victorian era steampunk style, while Bioshock has more of an American Industrial Revolution style.

The lead designer of Clockwork Rev, Jason Anderson, was also the one of the main designers of Arcanum, another steampunk RPG from 2001, back when the Bioshock series was still a wet dream.

So he is involved in both Clockwork Revolution and Bioshock Infinite. Cool. But that still misses the point. I'm talking about the trailers, here. Clockwork being steampunk does not mean the trailer had to use very similar (almost 1:1) shots and cuts as the Bioshock Infinite trailer. That's not simply being inspired; it almost looks like plagiarism.

Like I said, there are people doing comparisons on Twitter for that and Compulsion's game trailer and the similarities in the trailers with Bioshock & TLOU2 are almost beat-for-beat in some obvious areas. It surprised me once those got pointed out.

“looking at that scene, I can tell that it should be using 50% of your CPU to run all its simulations” 🤡

You just kind of boiled down what game tech analysts do, just leaving out every single bit of nuance tho. Expected 😂.

Yeah, I have to stop you right there. No need to lie to yourself.

There is, literally, nothing happening on-screen in Starfield gameplay that appears to be any more demanding or taxing than some of the other bigger open-world games already on the market. The extent of what's been shown is you walking around, mining resources, observing 1-3 creatures at a time, talking to a single NPC in a screen with just that one character, shooting at 2-4 enemies at a time in linear corridor environments or pseudo-linear outdoor areas, or shooting at a single spaceship at a time.

You'll have to forgive me if I think that isn't necessarily complex by magnitudes over other open-world games already out. And, it doesn't just stop there. The NPCs have no routines of their own, they seem to just stand there waiting for the player to talk to them. NPCs have no mo-cap work on their bodies or even faces. There doesn't seem to be any particularly noteworthy global particle system for things like atmospheric dust. Opening crates and picking up items in the world is no more complex than some other open-world games and in fact is less complex because there's no animation of a hand grabbing the resource, it just automatically picks up into your inventory. We haven't seen any area where the player goes into a building or an outdoor space and there is a big crowd of NPCs (or big crowd of animal life) going about with their own routines in the same space.

I think this game looks like it will be pretty fun to play, but I'm not going to cap for it being "so complex in scope" that it can't offer a higher framerate option for the consoles it's on. That just isn't going to happen. Because, again, people seem to think simply having more content equals having more complexity: it's not. It's actually about the degree of systems concurrently happening on the immediate screen at any given moment, both those of things you can observe, and would be running in the background in real-time.

Starfield isn't leaps and bounds over other open-world games in that aspect. In fact, at best it's around or slightly below par compared to a couple I could name, but won't because I don't want to potentially derail the thread.

feynoob

Banned
So he is involved in both Clockwork Revolution and Bioshock Infinite. Cool. But that still misses the point. I'm talking about the trailers, here. Clockwork being steampunk does not mean the trailer had to use very similar (almost 1:1) shots and cuts as the Bioshock Infinite trailer. That's not simply being inspired; it almost looks like plagiarism.

Like I said, there are people doing comparisons on Twitter for that and Compulsion's game trailer and the similarities in the trailers with Bioshock & TLOU2 are almost beat-for-beat in some obvious areas. It surprised me once those got pointed out.

You just kind of boiled down what game tech analysts do, just leaving out every single bit of nuance tho. Expected 😂.

There is, literally, nothing happening on-screen in Starfield gameplay that appears to be any more demanding or taxing than some of the other bigger open-world games already on the market. The extent of what's been shown is you walking around, mining resources, observing 1-3 creatures at a time, talking to a single NPC in a screen with just that one character, shooting at 2-4 enemies at a time in linear corridor environments or pseudo-linear outdoor areas, or shooting at a single spaceship at a time.

You'll have to forgive me if I think that isn't necessarily complex by magnitudes over other open-world games already out. And, it doesn't just stop there. The NPCs have no routines of their own, they seem to just stand there waiting for the player to talk to them. NPCs have no mo-cap work on their bodies or even faces. There doesn't seem to be any particularly noteworthy global particle system for things like atmospheric dust. Opening crates and picking up items in the world is no more complex than some other open-world games and in fact is less complex because there's no animation of a hand grabbing the resource, it just automatically picks up into your inventory. We haven't seen any area where the player goes into a building or an outdoor space and there is a big crowd of NPCs (or big crowd of animal life) going about with their own routines in the same space.

I think this game looks like it will be pretty fun to play, but I'm not going to cap for it being "so complex in scope" that it can't offer a higher framerate option for the consoles it's on. That just isn't going to happen. Because, again, people seem to think simply having more content equals having more complexity: it's not. It's actually about the degree of systems concurrently happening on the immediate screen at any given moment, both those of things you can observe, and would be running in the background in real-time.

Starfield isn't leaps and bounds over other open-world games in that aspect. In fact, at best it's around or slightly below par compared to a couple I could name, but won't because I don't want to potentially derail the thread.
Save yourself some trouble and watch that event again. You will see what you missed.

Save yourself some trouble and watch that event again. You will see what you missed.

I missed nothing. Some of y'all are missing the way to accept what was shown rationally, though 😂.

Again, what was shown in the Starfield gameplay that looked so complex, to put it leagues ahead of other open-world games already on the market? I'm not talking about things you do otherwise in isolation like the ship-crafting and character creator. I mean in terms of systems happening at the same time that you can at least see happening in real-time on the screen.

In that regard it is not leaps and bounds over other open-world games already on the market. At most, it seems on par. Starfield might just have more total content but the delivery of that content isn't magically more "next-gen" than any other open-world game already available.

And none of this is me downplaying the game or saying it's bad, BTW. I think it'll be one of the standouts this year, it will be a very quality experience especially if you're into more hard sci-fi. I'm just putting what's been shown into perspective.

feynoob

Banned
I missed nothing. Some of y'all are missing the way to accept what was shown rationally, though 😂.

Again, what was shown in the Starfield gameplay that looked so complex, to put it leagues ahead of other open-world games already on the market? I'm not talking about things you do otherwise in isolation like the ship-crafting and character creator. I mean in terms of systems happening at the same time that you can at least see happening in real-time on the screen.

In that regard it is not leaps and bounds over other open-world games already on the market. At most, it seems on par. Starfield might just have more total content but the delivery of that content isn't magically more "next-gen" than any other open-world game already available.

And none of this is me downplaying the game or saying it's bad, BTW. I think it'll be one of the standouts this year, it will be a very quality experience especially if you're into more hard sci-fi. I'm just putting what's been shown into perspective.
Yeah, you haven't watched it that much.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Really don’t buy this whole “if you are doing steampunk of course you are doing Bioshock infinite” bs that’s going around.

Everybody thought it was Bioshock for a reason. The art direction is really fucking close to it, along with the gameplay that was extremely reminiscent of Infinite.

vj27

Banned

You can take npcs with you and delegate them to run specific things on your ship, can also then pick said npc’s to manage your planetary mining stations (which as we know so far consists of resources, there’s a drug in the game that apparently you can sell so you already know I’m going to start a space cartel) or just one of em to upkeep your house on a moon close to the sun lol. Legit can have a wife in the game and make her stay on a honey moon… 😉

Oh and I love the perks and how they affect gameplay but come with a cool or weird consequence, controlling random alien wildlife to do my bidding, the hero perk… lol.

Zero gravity space fights where the guns propel you backwards from the Kinetic energy, boarding ships and taking them while your npc crew of your OG ship follows so you can add to your fleet.

They also said which is the biggest thing to me is how they structure the random planets to still have the typical Bethesda dungeons and random side quest. This is where the procedural generating and hand crafted stuff meet, they’ll have a typical story structure with a typical pay off but they’ll be randomly generated from how long and deep you explored a planet. So if we both visit the same planet we both might have completely different quests and dungeons, while the third person maybe just had a desolate rock to explore on.

I suck at explaining this and I probably got some stuff wrong. It’s been like a day or 3 now since I seen it. This is just the things I remembered from the deep dive, should maybe watch it to answer you’re own questions tbh.

Havoc2049

Jason Anderson worked on Arcanum and now Clockwork Revolution, not Bioshock. Do you have any of these comparisons? Because almost all the steampunk stuff done in Bioshock had been done before in novels, table top RPGs, video games, etc. , like mechanical robots, the look of the guns, air ships etc. I would say Clockwork Revolution looks even more steampunk than Bioshock.

Jason Anderson worked on Arcanum and now Clockwork Revolution, not Bioshock. Do you have any of these comparisons? Because almost all the steampunk stuff done in Bioshock had been done before in novels, table top RPGs, video games, etc. , like mechanical robots, the look of the guns, air ships etc. I would say Clockwork Revolution looks even more steampunk than Bioshock.

The comparison vids have been on Twitter and circulated around there, but they may also be on Youtube.

And FWIW I have only mentioned about the trailers, not the games themselves. The comparisons were between the trailer cuts for Clockwork Revolution and Bioshock Infinite. For all we know Clockwork has radically different game mechanics than Bioshock Infinite in practice, but that isn't the subject of the trailer comparisons.

Riky

$MSFT
Spencer talks about the future,

"When I look forward… there are so many things. We haven’t talked about what’s coming from id [Software]. We haven’t talked about what’s coming from The Coalition. When are we going to see Perfect Dark again? And when are we gonna see Everwild again? There are so many things that we still are working on that we haven’t shown. I mean, I don’t like to be confident, but I like to be humbly confident. I feel good about where that portfolio is."

"Now we have over 20 studios building video games.

Now, it shouldn’t be surprising that we can have a show like we did today. I think these are the kinds of shows we’re teed up to have really into the future, with the creative capability that we have inside of Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda. That gets me excited."

He also states Xbox is profitable

"We’re about — call it 10% of Microsoft’s revenue right now. So Microsoft doesn’t sink or swim based on Xbox’s success today. So it allows us to take some longer-term views of what our success looks like. We run a profitable business inside of the company and that’s important. We do that today."

SirTerry-T

The comparison vids have been on Twitter and circulated around there, but they may also be on Youtube.

And FWIW I have only mentioned about the trailers, not the games themselves. The comparisons were between the trailer cuts for Clockwork Revolution and Bioshock Infinite. For all we know Clockwork has radically different game mechanics than Bioshock Infinite in practice, but that isn't the subject of the trailer comparisons.
All art and cinematic directors rip each other and films off all the time . TLOU trailer had shots that can be seen all over films, Bioshock was riffing on Jules Verne, Michael Moorcock and Bryan Talbot's Luther Arkwright. The games you mentioned were not the first to do those shots, in all fairness.

...and it's not like the Twitter lot wouldn't have a motive to post up comparison vids. The social media loves it's Gotcha moments....makes it's peepee feel funny

Havoc2049

I just don't see it, other than they are both steampunk games, one with an American Industrial Revolution setting and one with a British Victorian setting.

Bioshock Infinite premiere trailer:

Clockwork Revolution premiere trailer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom