• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X vs PS5 load time comparisons on BC games

Montauk

Richard from DF is straight up saying: From a cold boot, PlayStation 5 is ready for use in less than 14 seconds, halve that if you're coming back from Rest Mode.

That's twice as fast as what Tom Warren is saying. And people are choosing to just believe Warren here, not sure why.

Yeah, they can't be comparing the same version of the game or OS version. I don't think anyone's lying but that the same thing isn't being compared.

Would help if people would put OS/game patches numbers in the corner of their videos, or at least mentioned it verbally or in writing.

Clarity is required.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Its called marketing. Cerny spun it up on his road to ps5 and fanboys did the rest of the pr for them.

Will you still call it marketing once next gen multi plays drop?

Or is the 1.6s loading in Miles Morales too much of a slap in the face?

Save yourself the embarrassment.

You mean next next gen?

Despite what one of these companies desperately wants you to believe, PS4 games aren’t next gen. BC is called backwards for a reason.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether or not it's BC, this is absolute bullshit. The PS5's storage hardware double that of the Series X. Everyone and their mom has been touting it as the secret sauce. I expected it to be faster at loading at everything

My understanding is that some games are limited by their code so it isn't actually loading from the disk for all of that time its just waiting . That's where the patches should help

Concern

Will you still call it marketing once next gen multi plays drop?

Or is the 1.6s loading in Miles Morales too much of a slap in the face?

Save yourself the embarrassment.

What embarrassment? I have no horse in the race. I call a spade a spade.

Embarrassing was your little meltdown trying to justify the mm $50 price tag with whataboutisms in that thread lol.

Thirty7ven

Banned
What embarrassment? I have no horse in the race. I call a spade a spade.

Embarrassing was your little meltdown trying to justify the mm $50 price tag with whataboutisms in that thread lol.

You’re not calling a spade a spade if you are speculating but disguising it as fact.

You can call it whataboutism or whatever you want. It is what it is. Facts are facts, you just don’t like them.

Again, 1.6s. That’s a fact.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member

Basically this. 🤷‍♀️
When people called out Penello as a MS shill.
But i said he doesnt work for MS anymore. He worked for Amazon recently. He still have insider friends.

It was obvious Sony needed something to relay on. “Blazing fast SSD” was the “blast processing” of back then.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah, they can't be comparing the same version of the game or OS version. I don't think anyone's lying but that the same thing isn't being compared.

Would help if people would put OS/game patches numbers in the corner of their videos, or at least mentioned it verbally or in writing.

Clarity is required.
Yes, Warren is a gopher so I'm much more inclined to listen to DF, but until final firmware is confirmed it's hard to tell.

Gravemind

A lot of angry fanboys in here. Not a good look on many of you considering all the next gen thread boasting.

Games optimized for the PS5 will have very fast loading. No need to be so upset over BC games.

Load times obviously still improved over last gen. Im not sure if you're trolling or genuinely unaware of the dumb statements made by our resident engineers in the spec thread.

The latter, but, then again, I would not get my tech info from any Dick, Tom and Harry with access to the internet.

I think his reaction on cross-gen was just more like the general discourse after Halo Infinite's showing, and it took until Miles Morales for people to finally accept it's not really last-gen that holds stuff back (except maybe for Cyberpunk :S),

Loading times? That could be a general statement going off what one'd gleam from seeing the specs on paper, or maybe he's referring to PS5 1P launch games running very quick like Miles Morales. Or maybe he tested some fringe cases where PS5 is loading games faster than Series X. We don't know. But ultimately, it's just more data to throw in the pile, and would bring balance to the results.

The interesting takeaway in all of this, is that it isn't a blowout in favor of PS5 when it comes to the SSD, like many, MANY people were constantly saying it'd be. Everything else is just a smooth latte, regardless of where it really lands. And this is me still of the belief PS5's SSD will hold the edge, just...not the night-and-day advantage some people were almost gleefully hoping it'd be (why they were gleeful? Well, that's a long story :LOL: ....)

I didn't think Halo Infinite looked that bad and the gameplay looked pure HALO, but that's for another Topic .. When people are provided videos detailed times of loading screens, then before you call them out and say people are wrong, you should have tested the times our for yourself.

I don't mind people saying the PS V has the better launch software, games that show off the next gen more , because SONY do . It's all the other nonsense that I dislike

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Even considering the "not optimized for SSD" (whatever that means), I still don't get how either of these consoles can load BC games so slowly. You'd think the raw SSD speed would make them load at least 10x faster than on the current consoles, but somehow that's not happening. Are the consoles intentionally slowing down loading for BC because the games might not be built to handle loading that much data that quickly?

Last edited:

FALCON_KICK

Kotaku

Qc546Ux.png

Spider-Man MM shows only 5x improvement over PS4, bugsnax 3x, those are not bc games

credit to GoPats1 GoPats1
For Spider-Man: Miles Morales, that chart shows from Console Menu to Gameplay and not from Game Menu to Gameplay which takes around ~1.6 to ~2.0 seconds.

For older 3rd party multi-platform games, PS4 Pro load times with SSD to the chart would be very helpful.

Last edited:

sinnergy

A lot of angry fanboys in here. Not a good look on many of you considering all the next gen thread boasting.

Games optimized for the PS5 will have very fast loading. No need to be so upset over BC games.
But if you drive is more than twice as fast wouldn’t you think it would be ? It’s weird ..

JonkyDonk

But if you drive is more than twice as fast wouldn’t you think it would be ? It’s weird ..
It has nothing to do with the internal drive. DF already proved that using a basic external SATA SSD on the XSX made little to no difference to loading times compared to internal SSD. The discrepancy here is either down to compatibility issues or CPU decompression speed. These older games are not using the dedicated decompression block on PS5.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Tom Warren is over on Era defending his numbers and trying to cast doubt on DFs numbers....

Different sources with different times. Tom Warren among at least four sources is reporting more than twice the time in resume. There’s speculation it’s based on eco settings.

Fitzchiv

Batman: Arkham Knight (2015)
TestPS5 Internal SSDXbox Series X Internal SSD
Launch to Menu00:41:3900:40:35
Menu to Save00:17:3000:11:68
Destiny 2
Menu to Character Screen00:50:1400:34:26
Orbit to the Tower00:46:5800:37:27
Final Fantasy XV
Launch to Menu00:39:0600:33:12
Menu to Save00:25:0900:10:11
Monster Hunter World
Launch to Menu00:31:3900:23:17
Menu to Save00:13:0800:06:21
Red Dead Redemption 2
Launch to Menu00:30:1600:26:24
Menu to Save00:34:3500:36:26

Still 30+ seconds from orbit to tower on Destiny 2, Ffs. Let me know when the next generation starts!

I hope Beyond Light includes some optimisation.

sinnergy

It has nothing to do with the internal drive. DF already proved that using a basic external SATA SSD on the XSX made little to no difference to loading times compared to internal SSD. The discrepancy here is either down to compatibility issues or CPU decompression speed. These older games are not using the dedicated decompression block on PS5.
It’s still weird man .. just weird , you think Sony would do anything to load the fastest . It is 5 Gb raw , so without all the blocks .. I for one don’t get it .

Last edited:

pasterpl

Yes, there are loading times improvements in PS4 and Pro if you put there a SSD.

I just remember Cerny's PS5 talk where he mentioned by putting a very fast SSD to a PS4 increased the speed but not very much due to bottlenecks, and in PS5 since they removed these bottlenecks they get a 100X improvement over HDD loading.

In BC they are emulating the hardware, so also their bottlenecks. So in the same way a fast SSD didn't reach its full potential on a PS4, it won't do it on BC. But still, I assume there should be speed differences on loading from a slow USB 3.0 HDD or a very fast USB 3.2 (if it even exist, I'm not sure) Gen 2 SSD

Kotaku

Qc546Ux.png

Spider-Man MM shows only 5x improvement over PS4, bugsnax 3x, those are not bc games

credit to GoPats1 GoPats1

Last edited:

dxdt

My opinion is that XSX will be faster than PS5 for BC games due to MS BC technology. Next gen games are still TBD, but PS5 MM shows that fast loading is very much real.

Montauk

Different sources with different times. Tom Warren among at least four sources is reporting more than twice the time in resume. There’s speculation it’s based on eco settings.

So we can add 'PS5 system settings' to differing OS and/or game patches as possible explanations for the discrepancies.

Montauk

I think my point is highlighted by the fact that TLOU2 takes 50 seconds longer on PS5 than on PS4 Pro...... there is something that needs updating or patching....

Kotaku said TLOU2 was faster on the PS5.

Eventually people are going to grasp that something is going on with patch levels or something.

ethomaz

Banned
So we can add 'PS5 system settings' to differing OS and/or game patches as possible explanations for the discrepancies.
We need to stop that.

Because it was already explained... GPU is running at PS4/PS4 Pro clocks and that is limiting the loading time... not the SSD... in fact the SSD have to wait the GPU do his job to before send more data.

Even DF claimed that about their test with AC.

You won’t se me huge improvement without patch the game to use the PS5 full CPU/GPU... Cerny explained that in March.

Last edited:

Montauk

We need to stop that.

Because it was already explained... GPU is running at PS4/PS4 Pro clocks and that is limiting the loading time... not the SSD... in fact the SSD have to wait the GPU do his job to before send more data.

You won’t se me huge improvement without patch the game to use the PS5 full CPU/GPU... Cerny explained that in March.

Look at what I'm quoting. I'm talking about PS5 load times, not cross platform comparisons.

If different sources are coming up with dramatically different load times on PS5 games (compared to PS5 games) or console boot-up times then something is up on the software side. By which I mean they are different between the sources.

Last edited:
These days gamers are fighting over seconds rather than fighting over good games.

Sony tribals spent the last year cocksucking their lord sony's magical ssd, being that the console is weaker in every other possible aspect. How the fucking storage device is gonna change the way we make games, how its a new paragidm for game making. All the embarassing stuff, thinking the drive in which you store your games is gonna alter the medium. After spending a year felating sony and cerny and repeating constantly how the ssd in ps5 is coated in Zeus's sperm and has magical abilities, once the people got their hands on it, the xbox is faster in everything.

You can see how difficult it must be for the fanatics to swallow this. That their plastic shit is actually slower in every way. A lot of them are downright ignoring what they see with their very eyes. They look at a footage of ps5 being slow as shit and they say, no, thats not true. Its a fake. Im not gonna believe this video footage im seeing with my very eyes, im gonna trust some journo that wrote something positive about ps5.

pasterpl

We need to stop that.

lookat bugsnax and Spider-Man miles morales, gains over PS4 are max 5x in regards to load times

Top Bottom