• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X vs PS5 load time comparisons on BC games

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Sony tribals spent the last year cocksucking their lord sony's magical ssd, being that the console is weaker in every other possible aspect. How the fucking storage device is gonna change the way we make games, how its a new paragidm for game making. All the embarassing stuff, thinking the drive in which you store your games is gonna alter the medium. After spending a year felating sony and cerny and repeating constantly how the ssd in ps5 is coated in Zeus's sperm and has magical abilities, once the people got their hands on it, the xbox is faster in everything.

You can see how difficult it must be for the fanatics to swallow this. That their plastic shit is actually slower in every way. A lot of them are downright ignoring what they see with their very eyes. They look at a footage of ps5 being slow as shit and they say, no, thats not true. Its a fake. Im not gonna believe this video footage im seeing with my very eyes, im gonna trust some journo that wrote something positive about ps5.

That’s deep

Andodalf

Banned
Kotaku

Qc546Ux.png

Spider-Man MM shows only 5x improvement over PS4, bugsnax 3x, those are not bc games

credit to @GoPats1

So the PS5 games aren't really that much better than the most improved BC games...

Even considering the "not optimized for SSD" (whatever that means), I still don't get how either of these consoles can load BC games so slowly. You'd think the raw SSD speed would make them load at least 10x faster than on the current consoles, but somehow that's not happening. Are the consoles intentionally slowing down loading for BC because the games might not be built to handle loading that much data that quickly?
I have a copy of Zoo tycoon 2 on my SSD equipped PC, for my daughter, anyway.. the game takes forever to load itself, saving must take a minute too.

An SSD without the right software can be useless.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
It is called performance. And it matters.

Good games are matter... not load times. In the past we look forward for great games with great content but now gamers look for how good is the console or ugly and how fast are my cold boot blah blah blah.

I’m not complaining about the fast SSDs but also I’m not focusing on that as a game changer.

BigLee74

Makes all those posters that laughed at the XSX BC loading times, whilst claiming PS5 has near 'instant loading' and 'everything under 2 seconds', look pretty stupid now.

I said all along, wait until you see a like for like comparison before you start boasting and making ridiculous claims.

Last edited:

Boneyblaff

I'm all for having a discussion around the comparisons of the two, but the people trying to "poo poo" one side compared to the one in order to validate their purchase is annoying. Can't we just be happy that we're seeing this large of a jump over the prior generation?

It looks like MS done the work right. XSX is a more balanced console.

/Thread.

Now that Sony broskis got a reality check and humbled with the recent gifts of Hardware reviews...

stay humble my friends, in life, what goes around comes around..right? So stay in your lane and everything should be ok...maybe.🤭

PS: It all makes sense now for a long drag last minute NDA, Sony knew their hyped SSD was far from peaches and cream and promises could NOT be delivered. Got beat in every single VS comparison.

For exclusives mashine it is, Again.

Last edited:

Montauk

Naaa, it's in the CNet video...I think around 9.22. He shows it on screen.

Read what I'm actually saying.

I'm not claiming that anyone is lying, so i don't require evidence. I believe CNET's quoted time.

I'm saying that the discrepancies could be explained by different sources using different units with different OS/game patches applied.

Last edited:

Montauk

Considering that a firmware update literally cut load times down over 300% on Astrobot, it may get updated again on or around launch for BC games.

Yes and despite how this is an obvious factor to consider, especially when considering different places quoting different loading times for the same games on the same platform or for cold boot/resume times. There can't be that much variability so either something is up on the software side or people are measuring differently.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Looks like the FPS being better on PS5 BC kinda irked some people. I knew this day would be difficult for them.

Calm your jets, matey!

In one game, where the PS5 runs it at a lower resolution.

Disclaimer: Impressed with PS5 BC, but it's no real surprise. Both these machines should be (and rightly are) eating these older games for breakfast.

Krisprolls

Banned
Calm your jets, matey!

In one game, where the PS5 runs it at a lower resolution.

Disclaimer: Impressed with PS5 BC, but it's no real surprise. Both these machines should be (and rightly are) eating these older games for breakfast.

It's not one game at all, there are a lot of games in this video where PS5 is locked 60 and XSX unstable 60. Watch again, maybe.

And we don't know how higher res ps5 could go since it's locked 60. We'll have to wait for next gen comparison. But locked 60 means it could go higher.

All this doesn't bode well for XSX having much of an advantage.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Look at what I'm quoting. I'm talking about PS5 load times, not cross platform comparisons.

If different sources are coming up with dramatically different load times on PS5 games (compared to PS5 games) or console boot-up times then something is up on the software side. By which I mean they are different between the sources.
Sorry my mistake on the quote.

There is another option: somebody is giving wrong numbers.

I'm more pro Xbox and I am pro Sony (I actually don't like PlayStation at all for principal reasons) and Yes the Xbox backwards compatibility is ultimately better than Sony's and most likely Sony will be better at loading next gen games then the Xbox but can we all agree though that it's only going to be like a 10-second difference to each other. Isn't it better than the minute we had to wait last gen? We're fighting over fucking seconds people Jesus lol.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with the internal drive. DF already proved that using a basic external SATA SSD on the XSX made little to no difference to loading times compared to internal SSD. The discrepancy here is either down to compatibility issues or CPU decompression speed. These older games are not using the dedicated decompression block on PS5.

They're also not using XvA.

Honestly I don't think most people are understanding that load times are affected by things other than just simply the SSD. That seems to be at the crux of the issue here.

It’s still weird man .. just weird , you think Sony would do anything to load the fastest . It is 5 Gb raw , so without all the blocks .. I for one don’t get it .

Well, there's a lot about the NAND on both systems we don't know about. There's a lot about the specifics in their FMCs (flash memory controllers) we don't know about. It's those little details that could be accounting for differences.

Though, since these are BC titles not really leveraging the full I/O stack of either system, then we should also be considerate that hard-coded I/O code in the native software, CPU, GPU etc. are also sizable factors in what we're seeing, even for the load times. And I'm also willing to accept that in some cases, it could be down to older versions that need new patches.

Thing is though, a lot of these variables are equally valid for both systems, not just one, so it's debatable to what degree it's really worth stressing here.

Last edited:

Montauk

Sorry my mistake on the quote.

There is another option: somebody is giving wrong numbers.

Meaning what; lying? No, I disagree. Why people always go immediately to accusations of lying and conspiracy theories I don't know.

We know that patches can hugely effect performance. We've seen it with Astro's Playroom as a very specific example. It has been patched once or more since reviewers got their review units and its load times decreased a lot.

longdi

Banned
is there any ps5 bc games with faster load times than series x version? surely there are few exceptions?

what kind of emulator is sony running?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Meaning what; lying? No, I disagree. Why people always go immediately to accusations of lying and conspiracy theories I don't know.

We know that patches can hugely effect performance. We've seen it with Astro's Playroom as a very specific example. It has been patched once or more since reviewers got their review units and its load times decreased a lot.
Well the twitter in OP is a know liar that will do anything to make his platform better.

A hint 14-15s in others outlets is way different from these 23s posted by him.

BTW I’m not even sure he really has a PS5.

Last edited:

BigLee74

It's not one game at all, there are a lot of games in this video where PS5 is locked 60 and XSX unstable 60. Watch again, maybe.

And we don't know how higher res ps5 could go since it's locked 60. We'll have to wait for next gen comparison. But locked 60 means it could go higher.

All this doesn't bode well for XSX having much of an advantage.

I watched the DF video.

I saw one. Seikoro or whatever is called. And running at a lesser resolution than the XS.

They briefly touched on hitman, which had a few minor drops on the XSX, but then they realised you could drop the XSX resolution to match the PS5, and both were suddenly a locked 60.

I also saw an Assasins Creed where the PS5 framerate absolutely tanked in comparison to XSX.

If I'm wrong, please feel free to list all the places where PS5 held a solid 60 when the XSX could not, and timestamp them. You said there were lots, so get cracking! 😁

Both appear to be performing well (as expected), generally maxing out within the game parameters of the underlying platform (also hindered/helped by this limitation with regards to performance metrics).

Anyway, lets cuddle!

Last edited:

JoeDanny

If you actually think the XSX has faster I/O than PS5 just say so in clear letters so you can be held accountable at a later date.
Being neutral in console warfare is my favorite aspect of a new gen launching, especially now that people are arguing over seconds of difference in loading times. Harvesting raw copium ore has never been easier. Imagine thinking that you need to hold someone "accountable" for their opinion of a plastic box.

Last edited:

M16

microsoft emphasized their ssd speeds are sustained, whereas the figures sony released are a theoretical limit that doesnt seem to be sustainable for any reasonable length of time.
for people excusing the results because of BC mode and the CPU is not fully realized, what do you think is gonna happen to the rest of the CPU in next gen games? Uh, it'll also be all used up by the game engines. none of these games take further advantage of the xbox velocity architecture either.

Last edited:
I'm all for having a discussion around the comparisons of the two, but the people trying to "poo poo" one side compared to the one in order to validate their purchase is annoying. Can't we just be happy that we're seeing this large of a jump over the prior generation?
Welcome to NeoGAF for the last year or two. Both sides have been having their time in the sun for months now. You see some craig avatars around still from diehards.

Sony tribals spent the last year cocksucking their lord sony's magical ssd, being that the console is weaker in every other possible aspect. How the fucking storage device is gonna change the way we make games, how its a new paragidm for game making. All the embarassing stuff, thinking the drive in which you store your games is gonna alter the medium. After spending a year felating sony and cerny and repeating constantly how the ssd in ps5 is coated in Zeus's sperm and has magical abilities, once the people got their hands on it, the xbox is faster in everything.

You can see how difficult it must be for the fanatics to swallow this. That their plastic shit is actually slower in every way. A lot of them are downright ignoring what they see with their very eyes. They look at a footage of ps5 being slow as shit and they say, no, thats not true. Its a fake. Im not gonna believe this video footage im seeing with my very eyes, im gonna trust some journo that wrote something positive about ps5.
as if you actually wrote that. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Congratz on wanking yourself over loading speeds on current gen games on next gen systems. If you've paid any attention in the last 6 months, you would know that current gen games on next gen won't even use SSDs properly.

I'll quote this post on next gen only games load speeds for you. Guess then you can ignore it and talk about 12tfs.

JonkyDonk

I really don't understand why people are using this BC stuff to write off PS5's SSD, when a next gen game like Miles Morales is loading saves in less than 2 seconds already.

Boneyblaff

Welcome to NeoGAF for the last year or two. Both sides have been having their time in the sun for months now. You see some craig avatars around still from diehards.

The Us Vs. Them mentality is lame with gaming, especially when everyone wins with these types of advances. I won't lie that I'm guilty of defending my Falcons when they are absolute trash, but I can't imagine doing the same with plastic boxes haha.

fersnake

so funny, MS always has been better a BC now with Sony having BC with ps4 its not like the first time but kinda is and still ppl are mental over a couple of secs on this old games but when it comes to the new ones on ps5 are like 1 sec and with xbox are 8 secs they dont care xD funny

microsoft emphasized their ssd speeds are sustained, whereas the figures sony released are a theoretical limit that doesnt seem to be sustainable for any reasonable length of time.
for people excusing the results because of BC mode and the CPU is not fully realized, what do you think is gonna happen to the rest of the CPU in next gen games? Uh, it'll also be all used up by the game engines. none of these games take further advantage of the xbox velocity architecture either.
The PS5 has dedicated hardware so that decompression doesn't need to use the CPU. That is not being used for BC.

It is painfully clear that neither system is actually benefitting as much as they should from the SSD with backwards compatibility so I don't know why people are flipping out about this specifically.

J_Gamer.exe

Makes all those posters that laughed at the XSX BC loading times, whilst claiming PS5 has near 'instant loading' and 'everything under 2 seconds', look pretty stupid now.

I said all along, wait until you see a like for like comparison before you start boasting and making ridiculous claims.

Well not sure about some but most were on about a next gen console and therefore next gen games, or games with a code change to actually take advantage of what the hardware can do.

That ultimately were performance matters most.

On those games ps5 has proven it can load full next gen games in 2 seconds.

Its great xbox has a little lead in bc im these comparisons but we know for when using the actual hardware it was designed to use PS5 is going to be hard to beat or even get close to.

Xbox has shown games with velocity architecture and they were impressive in their own right but nowhere near the ps5 2 seconds on a taxing game.

I'm a little disappointed they can't be faster, on both tbh as its clear without that code change its hitting a hard limit.

It also annoys me people counting through these splash screens, designed to hide loading last gen but its not needed on next gen but have to sit through it.

PS5 is more foreign in ssd and io than last gen, but its way better when used.

People should hang on before saying the velocity architecture has proven itself or Sony messed up with the ssd, they didn't.

They will have loading advantage and a huge streaming advantage. This shouldn't be underestimated.

Also game patches are probably coming for lots of games when these consoles release that make better use of the hardware so I'd hang on before drawing too many conclusions.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm more pro Xbox and I am pro Sony (I actually don't like PlayStation at all for principal reasons) and Yes the Xbox backwards compatibility is ultimately better than Sony's and most likely Sony will be better at loading next gen games then the Xbox but can we all agree though that it's only going to be like a 10-second difference to each other. Isn't it better than the minute we had to wait last gen? We're fighting over fucking seconds people Jesus lol.
We can, we don't trol Sony, but Sony fanboys in here, should be obvious : )

Krisprolls

Banned
I take locked 60 fps with slightly lower res over unstable fps with slightly higher res any day of the week.

Real comparison will be on next gen though.

Top Bottom