• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Could Release Months Before PlayStation 5 Rumor

The ps2 lens was fixable by opening it up and tweaking the cog made it work again for a bit. The 360s gpu went tits up. That wasn't fixable. And the thompson drive was garbo.

The PS2 lens in the early models was crap and one shouldn't need too mess with it. My mates PS lens went boobs up with just taking it to a friends house (for a games day). The OG Xbox lens was rubbish too, with most Thomson models going wack after a couple of years use.

And if the One X is anything to go by, compared to the PS4 Pro. I have no issues with MS build quality these days

replicant-

From the outside this wouldn't be unsurprising. End of May and no clear indication of the reveal. Mark Cerney's tech presentation for devs was 2.5 months ago.

Sony appear to be on the back foot. Now this may be a deliberate marketing ploy, or the HW and launch titles coming in hot.

Unless there have been technical challenges I don't understand why Sony, at this stage, would be behind manufacturing.

Sony approach to the PS5 is so different to the PS4.

By now in 2013 the public reveal had taken place with software demos and Sony were about to have the successful E3 conference giving launch dates and price.

Stuart360

Yeah it helps massively if your competitor launches a full year after you, is massively more expensive and is hard to develop games for.

Sony shot themselves in the foot is the reason why MS was successful early on with 360. They could not even maintain their early dominance throughout the generation.

Imagine getting a huge head start and then completely bottling it lol.
Going from 26mil sales to 85mil sales isnt 'bottling it'. Sony is simply more popular worldwide. The fact that the gen ended pretty much even was a huge success for Microsoft.

I always had a feeling XsX was aiming for Sep. Release coincide with Cyberpunk release or even a bundle.

..they've been cooking something with CD Project Red ever since that mysterious Apr. delay. Makes sense, we need AAA games at launch.

geordiemp

When you look at sales numbers, it is big. I think on Playstation consoles only Gran Turismo is bigger. Here's a list.

How big was halo 5 ? Same comment goes to Gran Turismo, times have moved on from last decade.

I liked Bungie halo in those days, it would be good to have more games find their former glory though.

Roxkis_ii

Good for Xbox fans, but I doubt being first to market will mean much to anyone else.

If the Xbox doesn't launch with system selling games, what's the point?

I highly doubt that. It's probably going to be 1 or 2 weeks apart at most or in October at the earliest.

It does have to be noticed that considering the Series X is continuing to use the same OS more or less unchaged + practically the same controller; MS clearly has very little to get in order other than the console itself and some games to launch.

Sony has a lot more things to get in order for launch.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't think it matters when they launch. Both systems will be supply constrained for months, so it would just be a marketing campaign. If they launch with a larger supply, maybe they can get a few% of people who want a PS5 but can't find one in the xmas shopping season but that won't tip the scales. If they launch super early and with a killer app they may be able to sell a few% systems to the people who buy both eventually, but those people will still want their PS5. The PS5 would still get the hype when it launches and people will still be fighting over units and scalping them on eBay.

That said, I hope they do launch early so we can see the experiment play out. Maybe they can dump a shit ton of systems along side of Madden, COD, etc. and get a lot of impulse buys.

bitbydeath

These consoles will be sold out at release anyway, 1-2 months won't make much difference in the long run. And I didn't see a single next gen game (yet) to make me go rush buy series X instead of PS5, next gen exclusives revealed in the next months will make much more of an impact.

Agreed. Both should sell out quickly especially since they’re likely lower provisioned due to Covid.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Didn't they say Thanksgiving 2020? I doubt this very much. It would be great those of us who will buy both since you won't be dropping at least $1000 in months span.

DESTROYA

We will see how much a impact a earlier release is, at this point I think most people already made up there mind as to what consoles they are waiting for

ZywyPL

Banned
Well, there are rumors floating around about XBX already being in production, so who knows, they might start early on, but with extremely limited supplies. And with games having to run on both current and next-gen systems the players would have stuff to play regardless, even if all the big 1st/3rd party AAA next-gen titles are being released in late Q4 2020/Q1 2021.

Tiamat2san

September would be awesome!
(So I can play assassin’s creed and cyberpunk directly on next-gen)
Then PS5 in November.

nosseman

Well, there are rumors floating around about XBX already being in production, so who knows, they might start early on, but with extremely limited supplies. And with games having to run on both current and next-gen systems the players would have stuff to play regardless, even if all the big 1st/3rd party AAA next-gen titles are being released in late Q4 2020/Q1 2021.

That would be a strange launch.

I dont remember - how was the Xbox One X launch? Was there games day 1 that supported the new console? (not just backward compatibility)

Kokoloko85

Shhhh let them believe.

Lol how is it the same?

Xbox 360

1. Released a a whole year ahead of PS3

2. Cheaper than the PS3

3. Easier to develop for than PS3

4. The boom of online gaming, online store, indies, DLC which playstation didnt have any at the time.

5. Having loads of Playstation associated games for the first time, like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Street fighter IV.

6. Having the better performance for most 3rd party games

7. Playstation launching horribly and all the bad press it got those days.

8. Also I got reminded recently by a neogaf poster: but don't forget, Xbox 360 had a 54% defect rate.

Had it not been for those high defect rates, 360 would have sold closer to the 40 million consoles XBONEX has. There is really not an 75 million base for XBOX outside of rebuying their consoles at such an alarming rate

Xbox will never sell the numbers they done in the 360 era. Those advantages are gone

Last edited:

nosseman

Makes no difference.
MS will never have the numbers and success they had with the 360

Why not?

In the NA market they did pretty good even this generation. Around 24 million units sold for Xbox One and 28 million units sold for PS4. Not that big of a difference and Xbox One had a terrible launch. Higher price - lower performance.

What I have seen so far - my guess is that MS can take the NA market pretty easy if they dont screw up royally before launch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is so far off base. Sure MS got a year lead, but they were very supply constrained for most of that year. Had they had the supply the sales charts would be much different now, but they didn’t. What they did do is eat away at over 25% of Sony’s share that gen.

That is a huge success regardless of where the numbers landed in the end.

MS wasn't supply constrained. In fact, they flooded the market with 360s in late 2006 in order to proclaim "first to ten million".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
How big was halo 5 ? Same comment goes to Gran Turismo, times have moved on from last decade.

I liked Bungie halo in those days, it would be good to have more games find their former glory though.
Halo 5 was pretty big. It outsold Halo 4 in the first week, which was the most sold Halo back then. We don't have exact numbers, but it is said that it's on par with the other Halo's so that big. Source

Kokoloko85

Why not?

In the NA market they did pretty good even this generation. Around 24 million units sold for Xbox One and 28 million units sold for PS4. Not that big of a difference and Xbox One had a terrible launch. Higher price - lower performance.

What I have seen so far - my guess is that MS can take the NA market pretty easy if they dont screw up royally before launch.

NA doesn’t equal the world as the PS4 has sold 110 units and Xbox hasnt reached 50 mill.

I dont see them taking it easy in NA. Maybe a bit more equal.

Even if they win in NA, doesnt mean they gonna get 50 million more units worldwide.
Unless they sell for peanuts and offer services no1 can compete with.

Also alot of 360 numbers were because of Ring of Death re buys

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
lvg2CFw.png
Ooh I forgot you took a break during Ramadan.

Eid Mubarak!

Lol how is it the same?

Xbox 360

1. Released a a whole year ahead of PS3

2. Cheaper than the PS3

3. Easier to develop for than PS3

4. The boom of online gaming, online store, indies, DLC which playstation didnt have any at the time.

5. Having loads of Playstation associated games for the first time, like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Street fighter IV.

6. Having the better performance for most 3rd party games

7. Playstation launching horribly and all the bad press it got those days.

8. Also I got reminded recently by a neogaf poster: but don't forget, Xbox 360 had a 54% defect rate.

Had it not been for those high defect rates, 360 would have sold closer to the 40 million consoles XBONEX has. There is really not an 75 million base for XBOX outside of rebuying their consoles at such an alarming rate

Xbox will never sell the numbers they done in the 360 era. Those advantages are gone

Yeah because most people would go buy another 360 full price when MS can send you a new one for free. Makes sense đź‘Ť

Also if the real install base was closer to 40 million, then why were 3rd parties selling more on the 360 than on PS3? Yeah thought so. Bye.

Last edited:

Ascend

A month or two isn't going to do shit. The 360 had a year head start, was cheaper, had momentum and accomplished the goal of being last. They need to pray to some Pagan deity to get that advantage again.
I don't get where people get the idea that the 360 was last.

And even then, people forget the RROD. The fact that the console did so well despite the RROD is actually remarkable.

In any case, releasing a few months earlier probably won't have much of an influence. People are willing to wait a few months to get the console they want. The image prior to launch is what is important. It's what ruined the whole Xbox One generation.

cormack12

Gold Member
Can't see Sony or MS missing the holiday rush. If Sony do miss the Holiday then yeah I can see them waiting a few months. Won't be nice pushing an early year launch whil MS can ride January bundle sales etc. to keep momentum. A lot of this depends on how aggressive Microsoft really are. If they undercut and come in 6 months early, it's going to be hard to say no if the Sony 1st parties aren't going to be ready until 2021/2

I don't get where people get the idea that the 360 was last.

And even then, people forget the RROD. The fact that the console did so well despite the RROD is actually remarkable.

I alos think people forget how barren the last year+ was for 360, which made it more value picking up a PS with its back catalogue neat the end of the gen. I think if they finished the gen stronger it wouldn't have been as catastrophic going into this gen.

Ascend

So you're saying people loved the X360 so much, that even if it breaks down multiple times, people would willingly spend the money again to buy faulty hardware?

ZywyPL

Banned

I dont remember - how was the Xbox One X launch? Was there games day 1 that supported the new console? (not just backward compatibility)

From what I remember Forza Motorstorm 5, Ryse, Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive were available at launch, I cannot think about anything else, would have to check. But the majority of both XB1 and PS4 launch games were cross-gen titles, so I don't think it would be a problem nor shock to anyone if this would happened again with the upcoming generation. I think many people are greatly overestimating how much Sony/MS 1st party studios can deliver at launch.

Ascend

The Xbox One launch meant overpaying for Kinect that no one wanted, while having lesser specs, and being forced to always be online to be able to play the console. That alone killed the whole Xbox One generation. Everyone already had a PlayStation when they made things better.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think this was the plan before covid-19. I just don't see the software being ready for September. The hardware was clearly ahead of schedule but now software development is taking longer I can't see halo ready in September.

Neofire

I expect PS5 in early December, XSX in late September. Sony used to be ahead but with the redesign of Ariel has clearly fallen behind. Just launching in December will be a miracle after they only had the final hardware certification in 12/2019 from what we know. Typically it takes 15 months from that to shipped product. Microsoft on the other hand already produced final hardware in late October for use in final devkits. And now are in production for launch.
Hold on, so September is the new "holiday 2020" đź‘€ didn't realize that

Neofire

From the outside this wouldn't be unsurprising. End of May and no clear indication of the reveal. Mark Cerney's tech presentation for devs was 2.5 months ago.

Sony appear to be on the back foot. Now this may be a deliberate marketing ploy, or the HW and launch titles coming in hot.

Unless there have been technical challenges I don't understand why Sony, at this stage, would be behind manufacturing.

Sony approach to the PS5 is so different to the PS4.

By now in 2013 the public reveal had taken place with software demos and Sony were about to have the successful E3 conference giving launch dates and price.
Because of Jim Ryan and company, people want to try to pass the buck 5o the Sony CEO nah this is all on Jim Ryan and his leadership. I wouldn't even fault Cerny at this point because he can only do what his boss dictates.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's laughable that you think it isn't. Feel free to proof otherwise even when we have quotes from Microsoft saying that Halo 5 sold amazingly well, just like the Halo's before.

Depends what your definition of "one of the biggest franchises" is. It certainly isn't in the top 20 (but it won't be far after that).

Last edited:
Top Bottom