• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Could Release Months Before PlayStation 5 Rumor

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I expect PS5 in early December, XSX in late September. Sony used to be ahead but with the redesign of Ariel has clearly fallen behind. Just launching in December will be a miracle after they only had the final hardware certification in 12/2019 from what we know. Typically it takes 15 months from that to shipped product. Microsoft on the other hand already produced final hardware in late October for use in final devkits. And now are in production for launch.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

A month or two isn't going to do shit. The 360 had a year head start, was cheaper, had momentum and accomplished the goal of being last. They need to pray to some Pagan deity to get that advantage again.
Didn't 360 end up selling ten million more than PS4 in the US (PS5 is 5 million ahead of Xbox One)? That's the only market Microsoft is interested in.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I expect PS5 in early December, XSX in late September. Sony used to be ahead but with the redesign of Ariel has clearly fallen behind. Just launching in December will be a miracle after they only had the final hardware certification in 12/2019 from what we know. Typically it takes 15 months from that to shipped product. Microsoft on the other hand already produced final hardware in late October for use in final devkits. And now are in production for launch.
Holy shit, someone who actually understands production schedules?! Most people here think things are manufactured and shipped on a whim! It's funny to say the least.

Anyway, this is why Xbox has been confident about shipping this Holiday even through COVID -- most of the hardest work was done. Sony on the other hand is cutting it closer, but they won't miss Holiday, I don't think.

darkinstinct

Holy shit, someone who actually understands production schedules?! Most people here think things are manufactured and shipped on a whim! It's funny to say the least.

Anyway, this is why Xbox has been confident about shipping this Holiday even through COVID -- most of the hardest work was done. Sony on the other hand is cutting it closer, but they won't miss Holiday, I don't think.
Yeah, they won't miss holiday season, but it might end up being a very limited launch, with less than 400k units per main market (NA, EU, Asia). Basically if you don't preorder, you won't get one until April/May 2021.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft on the other hand already produced final hardware in late October for use in final devkits. And now are in production for launch.
But then why did it take Microsoft so long to release those devkits? Or you think they deliberately just waited to release them in fear of leaks?

Bold move Cotton, let’s see how it plays out.

Doesn’t hurt getting to market first, helps blunt the impact of your competitor’s features in the mind of consumer (at the very least). Supply constraints will also mar the launch of both devices, so brace yourselves for a slow trickle of supply if this is the strategy. But I can get behind the idea of soft-launching devices, especially since it won’t be until year 2 you start to see the real gems out of developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the XSEX came out earlier, I remember Phil saying he had a working version at home a while ago. Sounds like they are way ahead of schedule.

S0ULZB0URNE

giphy.gif

turtlepowa

Banned
And they lost that lead far harder now. Or perhaps it's the actual numbers when you factor in the replacements people had to buy for that generation.
Of course they lost this gen, it's always about the launch price. I don't think many people had to buy new 360 consoles since MS extended the warranty to 3 years, but i think many people only bought a PS3 for it's cheap Blu Ray drive and never played a game with it. But we will see what happens next gen, It definately will be interesting, because it seems that neither MS nor Sony make a huge mistake.

nosseman

MS said that the Xbox Series X is coming Holiday 2020.

I dont know exactly but September is not really in the Holiday season?

Holiday season is late November to January.

Beating them to the punch is a valid strategy
Launching early is a necessity for MS to be able to compete.
There had never been a game console that won a gen because they launched early. However, there had been one console that outright died for launching early. Ask SEGA.
I have no idea what basis "launching a few months earlier" was suppose to benefit Microsoft. But whatever, you go you. it never made sense to me.

sobaka770

Banned
These consoles will be sold out at release anyway, 1-2 months won't make much difference in the long run. And I didn't see a single next gen game (yet) to make me go rush buy series X instead of PS5, next gen exclusives revealed in the next months will make much more of an impact.

A month or two isn't going to do shit. The 360 had a year head start, was cheaper, had momentum and accomplished the goal of being last. They need to pray to some Pagan deity to get that advantage again.

What it is to be a fan LOL. You seemed to have missed the point of going early, helped MS win the USA market and also more importantly made the 360 become the development lead console. Not only ensuring great loyalty payments but also helping the 360 versions be the best one to get (in most cases)

Those are area's MS is no doubt very keen to get back.

Like X360 strategy
No Lol

360 launched a full year ahead of PS3.
360 was stupid easy to develop games for.
360 was significantly cheaper than PS3 on launch.

PS3 launched late, expensive and was a nightmare to develop games for.

None of the above is even remotely being repeated this time concerning Playstation.

It's amazing how many posts think this rumored few months launch ahead of PS5 will make any difference to the eventual outcome this next gen.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It's amazing how many posts think this rumored few months launch ahead of PS5 will make any difference to the eventual outcome this next gen.

How many posts said these things that make it amazing?

1?

Please quote all the posts you are referring to, because it looks make believe to me.

Last edited:
There had never been a game console that won a gen because they launched early. However, there had been one console that outright died for launching early. Ask SEGA.
I have no idea what basis "launching a few months earlier" was suppose to benefit Microsoft. But whatever, you go you. it never made sense to me.

Nintendo DS might beg to differ ;). Looking over that and to be far more serious . Going early is what helped SEGA get huge market share off Nintendo in the west and going late cost the N64 dear (ok Carts didn't help)

They are many other facts too mind, but going late isn't a option MS or SONY want to do

fybyfyby

I dont think it will matter too much. If both are released before holidays, people will wait for what they want. Or can someone imagine you want PS5 and buy XSX instead because it is released one month earlier?

What it is to be a fan LOL. You seemed to have missed the point of going early, helped MS win the USA market and also more importantly made the 360 become the development lead console. Not only ensuring great loyalty payments but also helping the 360 versions be the best one to get (in most cases)

Yeah it helps massively if your competitor launches a full year after you, is massively more expensive and is hard to develop games for.

Sony shot themselves in the foot is the reason why MS was successful early on with 360. They could not even maintain their early dominance throughout the generation.

Imagine getting a huge head start and then completely bottling it lol.

Kagey K

Banned
I dont think it will matter too much. If both are released before holidays, people will wait for what they want. Or can someone imagine you want PS5 and buy XSX instead because it is released one month earlier?
The first 6 months don’t matter in any way for either console, they sell all they can make and the hardcore buy the one they want. (If they can.)

Its nothing in the long run.

They'll both be in the fall, a few weeks/month difference isn't going to matter they'll both sell out their first shipments and probably keep doing that into the new year just like last time, well Sony did anyway :)

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah it helps massively if your competitor launches a full year after you, is massively more expensive and is hard to develop games for.

Sony shot themselves in the foot is the reason why MS was successful early on with 360. They could not even maintain their early dominance throughout the generation.

Imagine getting a huge head start and then completely bottling it lol.
This is so far off base. Sure MS got a year lead, but they were very supply constrained for most of that year. Had they had the supply the sales charts would be much different now, but they didn’t. What they did do is eat away at over 25% of Sony’s share that gen.

That is a huge success regardless of where the numbers landed in the end.

I really enjoyed those better versions as my console was in and out of repairs.

Mine was too. Stil going latter doesn't always help, the lens in the PS2 was utter crap (much like the PS) and the Thomson Drive in the OG Xbox, not the best
The ps2 lens was fixable by opening it up and tweaking the cog made it work again for a bit. The 360s gpu went tits up. That wasn't fixable. And the thompson drive was garbo.

xrnzaaas

It's not going to change much if XSEX won't have a good lineup of exclusives for its first few months. Sony could only get into some sort of trouble if for some reason they wouldn't be able to release the console for this year's holiday season.

Top Bottom