• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S load times

pasterpl

10 seconds really doesn't impress me that much. Expecting 2-3 second full initial loads on PS5. It seems like the actual difference in loading speed will be larger than the 2.4x difference in raw read speed suggests. Sony has built in a lot of custom hardware to eliminate I/O bottlenecks all through the system architecture, to actually hit that 5.5GB/s number in real life situations. Seems like MS hasn't gone to the same lengths.

did Sony release an official videos comparing how PS4 games load on ps5 in the same situation?

nemiroff

Gold Member
What IS the point of the video, exactly? To show that in poorly made games, the XSS can load 5x faster? If it can actually do much better than that in a well made game, why would they not show THAT instead? It seems like this video is supposed to make you impressed by how much faster the XSS loads the game, so why use the worst possible example to show that?

Well, all I see is that it shows an improvement between two consoles and I don't see what's bad about that. Not all of us have sticks up our arses.

PS5 has shown load times under a second, I’m not sure why MS marketing thought this video was a good idea.

Kinda highlights the SSD advantage of PS5 and makes the Xbox look “meh”

PS5 is 2.5x faster uncompressed, so how can Xbox SSD be 4x slower? Something isn't adding up.

I can already see Sony marketing showing side by side 2seconds vs 11 seconds and mic drop. *BOOM* XBox destroyed again.

so will it be same as Series X? if so, why not just show it along with the X to prove it is as fast?

Series X should be faster because the RAM has much higher bandwidth. Loading time is not strictly a function of SSD speed. It's SSD + memory speed. So this same game should be around 7sec on Series X. I'd expect a XVA game like The Medium to load in 5 seconds, while PS5 games load in 2 seconds.

I can already see Sony marketing showing side by side 2seconds vs 11 seconds and mic drop. *BOOM* XBox destroyed again.

That won't happen. But I do agree it would probably be easier to see that in a video than graphics between the two. For the visuals you probably need a technical analysis to know the real differences.

I don't expect Series X to take 11 seconds for fully optimized XVA. However even if it's 2seconds vs 5 seconds, that's still a mic drop moment for Sony.

It is the PS5s strength. Whether or not the average consumer will care is a different story. It's really going to depend on how everything works with the I/O.

Xbox Series S Load Times Test Was With No Enhancements

Shh... quiet. No logic around here, people might get triggered.

I mean who cares if it is an apples to apples comparison when it can be apples to orages instead? In order to prove what people here are saying we'd need to see the comparison between TOW on PS4 and then TOW on PS5 back compat.

BigLee74

Yeah there was a loading screen.

SerpentineHandsomeHoneyeater-size_restricted.gif

Also take into account that the PS5 version is probably loading alot more data than the PS3 version due to the much higher quality assets. Makes the demo even more impressive IMO.

If anything it's a demonstration of what next gen games that are optimized correctly for the I/O will be capable of.

I'm not sure if the Xbox with it's VA and SFS will be capable of similar results. All I've seen to date from Xbox are unoptimized demos of the VA using Xbox One titles. Haven't seen a next gen demonstration from them yet.

The timer appears to conveniently start AFTER the 2 seconds of blue fog (and I would bet good money the loading is happening then).

So suddenly its up to nearly three seconds to load on the PS5, compared to 13 on the PS3.

Ratio beginning to look familiar?

Still impressive though, don't get me wrong.

As is the Series S going from 53 seconds down to 12 for a legacy untouched game.

This is big for me. It opens up a whole load of games for a quick 10 minute session that I would never normally go near due to excessive loading. Like bloody Wreckfest. So much fun, but barely worth the wait...

Shh... quiet. No logic around here, people might get triggered.

I mean who cares if it is an apples to apples comparison when it can be apples to orages instead? In order to prove what people here are saying we'd need to see the comparison between TOW on PS4 and then TOW on PS5 back compat.

I think the point of this trailer is to show XBox One S owners that they can get a new console for the same price, plays the same games and loads 500% faster. It's not intended to be compared to Playstation.

PS5 has shown a PS4 game loading in .8 seconds,this was Spiderman.The SSD on the PS5 can and does load data at 5.5 GB/s,this is not its fastest speed,it is its slowest speed,it was designed to run at 5.5 GB/s at all times.The SSD in the Xbox is severly hampered in I/O thoroughput,the Xbox series X and S load games at less than 1 GB second,this has nothing to do with it being current gen or next gen.

Hell yeah. Not an Xbox guy, but I am a guy who's been fed up with load screens since I played Battlefield 1 on my Xbox One and had to spend what felt like eons waiting to load in on every single match. 10 seconds from 50 seconds for something like The Outer Worlds is something I'm more than okay with as a baseline increase.

Series S 8 GB RAM x .8 GB/s = 10 second load time.Series X 13.5 GB RAM x 1.5 GB/s = 9 second load time. Games loaded Outerworlds and State of Decay.

Connxtion

PS5 has shown a PS4 game loading in .8 seconds,this was Spiderman.The SSD on the PS5 can and does load data at 5.5 GB/s,this is not its fastest speed,it is its slowest speed,it was designed to run at 5.5 GB/s at all times.The SSD in the Xbox is severly hampered in I/O thoroughput,the Xbox series X and S load games at less than 1 GB second,this has nothing to do with it being current gen or next gen.

would take that leaked video with a grain of salt.

we don’t know if it was the game or a splice just to show what’s possible with ssd drives.

we actually haven’t seen a single game from PS4 run on the PS5 in an official capacity.

10 seconds really doesn't impress me that much. Expecting 2-3 second full initial loads on PS5. It seems like the actual difference in loading speed will be larger than the 2.4x difference in raw read speed suggests. Sony has built in a lot of custom hardware to eliminate I/O bottlenecks all through the system architecture, to actually hit that 5.5GB/s number in real life situations. Seems like MS hasn't gone to the same lengths.

🤦‍♂️ JFC

Andodalf

Banned

Wow, a Neo account saying bullshit about how XSX is unoptimized using very poor evidence? Shocking!

Last edited:
Decent. As much as forum dwellers like us scoff and say "SSDs are nothing new" I think the average consumer is about to have their mind blown.
I've been gaming 25 years and I'm blown away by it.

Watching the instant changes of action in a plebeian game like Black Ops was jizz worthy

Greeno

Also take into account that the PS5 version is probably loading alot more data than the PS3 version due to the much higher quality assets. Makes the demo even more impressive IMO.

If anything it's a demonstration of what next gen games that are optimized correctly for the I/O will be capable of.

I'm not sure if the Xbox with it's VA and SFS will be capable of similar results. All I've seen to date from Xbox are unoptimized demos of the VA using Xbox One titles. Haven't seen a next gen demonstration from them yet.
There is a demo of SFS if you are interested:

Basically, it shows how efficient the memory virtualization process is. On average, the memory is 2.5× more free with XVA.

There is a demo of SFS if you are interested:

Basically, it shows how efficient the memory virtualization process is. On average, the memory is 2.5× more free with XVA.

I fail to see how it makes the VA as the PS5s but maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

pasterpl

demons souls remake is built from ground up for ps5, we haven’t seen Sony showing any back compat games loading side by side with PS4

Last edited:
demons souls remake is built from ground up for ps5, we haven’t seen Sony showing any back compat games loading side by side with PS4

I'm pretty sure BC titles will load faster on PS5 when compared to PS4. I mean those titles only have less than 8GBs of ram to fill up afterall.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Thanks dude. I was fumbling around trying to find this and you saved me the bother 😊

Bottom line: this is how fast the Ps5 SSD is in decent, proper gameplay footage.

So Demon Souls on PS5 loads 10 seconds faster

Outer Words on Series S loads 45 seconds faster

It's hardly an improvement due to SATA controller being connected through USB controller, I think.

Any USB 3 hard drive will load games faster than the stock hard drive in any Xbone console including the X. External SSD gives the best improvement and it's noticeable. Since some multiplayer games don't wait for all players to load in before starting (Battlefront for example), this can be quite the advantage (you can go get the hero power ups safely before anyone else loads in).

So Demon Souls on PS5 loads 10 seconds faster

Outer Words on Series S loads 45 seconds faster

Also have to take into account that ones a last gen game while the other is a current gen title. The amount of data that they are loading can be different. Well have to wait for a proper multiplat comparison to see which one is better out of the two.

I would pretty damn impressed if PS5 managed to reduce a 10 second loading screen by 45 seconds.

Before you even enter your house the game is already loaded.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I would pretty damn impressed if PS5 managed to reduce a 10 second loading screen by 45 seconds.

Exactly.

You use something that takes 10.8 seconds to load to compare to one that takes 53.8 seconds to load and ooooh it so much faster on the PS5. Of course it's going to load faster.

Greeno

I fail to see how it makes the VA as the PS5s but maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

It is transfering data from storage to memory at speeds that can be calculated in milliseconds (compared to being calculated in seconds on current gen). You see that globe texture fading in and out? That is basically the texture data being phased in and out of the memory.

Loading screens usually hide the process of transfering data between storage and memory. What is happening in Demons Soul's remake is that the process is being hidden by an animation instead of a loading screen. Can the Xbox do the animation as fast as the PS5? I don't know, but I don't think it would trail that much behind considering that the demo above showcases that the data is being transfered at speeds comparable to the Demons Soul's demo speeds.

Last edited:
It is transfering data from storage to memory at speeds that can be calculated in milliseconds (compared to being calculated in seconds on current gen). You see that globe texture fading in and out? That is basically the texture data being phased in and out of the memory.

Loading screens usually hide the process of transfering data between storage and memory. What is happening in Demons Soul's remake is that the process is being hidden by an animation instead of a loading screen. Can the Xbox do the animation as fast as the PS5? I don't know, but I don't think it would trail that much behind considering that the demo above showcases that the data is being transferes at speed comparable to the Demons Soul's demo speeds.

I guess we have to wait and see what happens. So far Microsoft isn't doing a good job demonstrating their I/O in my opinion. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the differences are with multiplats.

Donarudo

Dark Souls PS3 loaded that in about 10 Seconds there per a comparison in another thread. So assuming the exact same 5x decrease shown here, the Xbox would do that in 2 seconds, whereas the PS5 version's transition is just under one second.

So It would be 1 second vs 2 seconds.

Fast travel in a PS3 title with small interiors is way faster than a cold boot of a Open World game on Xbox One

That's not how any of this works. The PS5 is not loading a PS3 game, which had less than 512MB Ram available for games. It's loading a proper next-gen game that probably occupies at least 10GB of Ram. More than 20x the amount of data in less than 1/10 of time. That's over 200 times faster.

You can't just guess how fast the XSS could potentially load a PS3 game, and than compare that number to how fast the PS5 loads a next-gen title and then conclude that that's the difference in loading speed.

Top Bottom