• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S load times

NullZ3r0

Banned
Still kind of long. Where did The "lol 2s vs 4s" go, because people have said that series s is just as good as series x, just tuned down gpu.

Can we assume that it takes 11-12s to load on series x too then?

But definetly good enough, if everything loads under 20s on all next gen systems= good
This is a current Gen game and the raw Speed of the SSD. Next Gen games should load near instantly. Halo Infinite gets a lot of flack, but that bad boy loaded instantaneously.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is a current Gen game and the raw Speed of the SSD. Next Gen games should load near instantly. Halo Infinite vets a lot of flack, but that bad boy loaded instantaneously.

Halo infinite had plenty of lod issues and pop-in... not the best showcase of the SSD either (which we know can do better than that).

reforen

Outer worlds is not optimized yet for Series X|S and the load times are really fast, I assume that the optimized games that uses the SSD and VA will load faster than ~12 seconds

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is a current Gen game and the raw Speed of the SSD. Next Gen games should load near instantly. Halo Infinite gets a lot of flack, but that bad boy loaded instantaneously.

Why does it take 10 seconds to load a current gen game with a raw SSD speed of 2.5 GB/s, when it takes just 5x longer to load from an HDD at 50-100 MB/s? That's what's strange to me.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I play on PC.... not even considering all of the other perks.

Yeah I been spoiled lol. I used to start a game on console, and grab my joint roller and have it lit before the game even starts

On my PC I'm in the game getting shot at before I even can locate the jar :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In demon souls on PS3 was there a load time at that one point? I don't remember

Yeah there was a loading screen.

SerpentineHandsomeHoneyeater-size_restricted.gif

Also take into account that the PS5 version is probably loading alot more data than the PS3 version due to the much higher quality assets. Makes the demo even more impressive IMO.

If anything it's a demonstration of what next gen games that are optimized correctly for the I/O will be capable of.

I'm not sure if the Xbox with it's VA and SFS will be capable of similar results. All I've seen to date from Xbox are unoptimized demos of the VA using Xbox One titles. Haven't seen a next gen demonstration from them yet.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Also take into account that the PS5 version is probably loading alot more data than the PS3 version due to the much higher quality assets. Makes the demo even more impressive IMO.

Thanks dude. I was fumbling around trying to find this and you saved me the bother 😊

Bottom line: this is how fast the Ps5 SSD is in decent, proper gameplay footage.

Xyphie

Why does it take 10 seconds to load a current gen game with a raw SSD speed of 2.5 GB/s, when it takes just 5x longer to load from an HDD at 50-100 MB/s? That's what's strange to me.

A current-gen game is not going to be "next-gen SSD aware" without modifications and because of that it won't take advantage of new storage APIs, hardware decompression blocks etc. Just like the same game doesn't load 5 times faster if you stick a SSD in a current generation console.

Andodalf

Banned
Did you watch the Demon’s Souls gameplay? That shows a change from one environment to another in a second or so, when the character transfers from the bonfire.

Dark Souls PS3 loaded that in about 10 Seconds there per a comparison in another thread. So assuming the exact same 5x decrease shown here, the Xbox would do that in 2 seconds, whereas the PS5 version's transition is just under one second.

So It would be 1 second vs 2 seconds.

Fast travel in a PS3 title with small interiors is way faster than a cold boot of a Open World game on Xbox One

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
From the title screen? I haven’t seen it but if so, that’s impressive. RoadHazard RoadHazard just here just to shit on Xbox then?

It's not from the title screen but its a portal area loading an entirely new section in a blink of an eye.

with detail that i doubt you will find anywhere this generation.

I seriously cant not believe you have not watched it yet, that's rather odd. The whole gaming community is talking about that demo.

SilentUser

If anything it's a demonstration of what next gen games that are optimized correctly for the I/O will be capable of.

I'm not sure if the Xbox with it's VA and SFS will be capable of similar results. All I've seen to date from Xbox are unoptimized demos of the VA using Xbox One titles. Haven't seen a next gen demonstration from them yet.
That's very, very impressive. Of course we will see games with longer load times, specially those open world, I think.

That's very, very impressive. Of course we will see games with longer load times, specially those open world, I think.

I definitely don't doubt that. Plus when it comes to loading from a cold boot I bet the loads will be longer. But still what they showed with Demon Souls can give us an indication of what to expect from these next gen I/O systems. Currently it seems like Sony has the faster solution but we shouldn't count out Xbox just yet.

That is nothing short of incredible.... Just awesome.

You have a heart of gold for sharing that.

Next gen is going to be awesome where the I/O is concerned. Really can't wait to play games without worrying about really long loading screens. I still have bad memories of the loads with Bloodborne. Having long load times after death can really ruin the flow of the gameplay.

Last edited:
I had forgotten how long that load time was for that game... this brings it all back :messenger_dizzy: Just 10 sec is a big leap! Especially so if you take into consideration that the game was not built for this architecture. I would assume that very same game for that architecture would show even better results.

Last edited:

Flintty

It's not from the title screen but its a portal area loading an entirely new section in a blink of an eye.

with detail that i doubt you will find anywhere this generation.

I seriously cant not believe you have not watched it yet, that's rather odd. The whole gaming community is talking about that demo.

Yeah that is impressive. Will that be the same from the title screen though? Because that’s what we were discussing in this thread. Quote below...

Expecting 2-3 second full initial loads on PS5.

I didn’t get to see the PS show because I was raiding in Destiny 2 and from what I read on GAF, there is t too much to interest me so I haven’t bothered catching up.

Last edited:

sixamp

That was the ms version of a SSD loading a last gen game correct? Now imagine a "next" gen game with the added textures and file sizes. Load times will be improved over last gen but not by much. The new dad's aren't gonna be the "it" factor. I have 3 in my pc and I could never go back to HDD but the dream sony sold so many people on is just that a dream

Arkam

Death to load times!!! People dont know how much this will improve their QoL. 10s should be the limit for any loading this gen. >10s feels quick enough for initial loads.... faster is better :)

Yeah that is impressive. Will that be the same from the title screen though? Because that’s what we were discussing in this thread. Quote below...

I didn’t get to see the PS show because I was raiding in Destiny 2 and from what I read on GAF, there is t too much to interest me so I haven’t bothered catching up.

I believe there's a patent where you can jump straight into a game from the UI. Hopefully they show that to us if they used it.

sircaw

Banned
Yeah that is impressive. Will that be the same from the title screen though? Because that’s what we were discussing in this thread.

I seriously can not see why it would not be. here is a video, perhaps find a 4k one if you want to see it all, and its 60fps the game, amazing.

Just look at the detail in the first section outside. Enjoy

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
That was the ms version of a SSD loading a last gen game correct? Now imagine a "next" gen game with the added textures and file sizes. Load times will be improved over last gen but not by much. The new dad's aren't gonna be the "it" factor. I have 3 in my pc and I could never go back to HDD but the dream sony sold so many people on is just that a dream

On the contrary, expect a game made from the ground up around the idea of loading fast with an SSD to load faster than a current gen title.

scalman

nothing good for 299 console, rlt MS will you supose to show what XSX can do as well , no ? MS dont care for XSX ... ftw ?
and loading times are least my problems on this gen games. i dont mind to just wait go get some drink tea or coffee in mean times or clean controller , do stuff. its fine. yes its great without loading times sure,but that was not problem for me at all.

Last edited:
Thanks dude. I was fumbling around trying to find this and you saved me the bother 😊

Bottom line: this is how fast the Ps5 SSD is in decent, proper gameplay footage.
hmm its very impressive yes but ill wait until i play the game myself and see this under 1 sec load speed, ps5 has been marketed as a fast loading machine, X|S hasn't, i was simply showing that we will also get improved loading times on the xbox machines (which is a great bonus) bare in mind this is showing the S not the X, I'm sure if the X was the same load times it would be in the advert also, so maybe X has better load times? or longer?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That's not the same thing. I'm talking about from title screen>new game>playing.

So, you mean via ‘Continue’ or ‘Load Game’? I guess we’ll have to wait and see, as we’ve not had an example of that... but quite what difference it will make I don’t know. It’s about the size of the environment and the assets that are being loaded in to start playing.

I like seeing the comparison between the X1 and the XSS. No ridiculous X1X comparisons like we saw here. It's almost like the XSS is the upgrade of the X1 and not the X1X. Great video.

YodaBB

One of the most impressive bits of news is it’ll only take roughly two seconds for Kena: Bridge of Spirits to load from the PS5’s menu. “They have a whole thing set up where you can do the transition and it’s very nice, but frankly it doesn’t have time to play the animation,” said Josh Grier, chief operating officer at Ember Lab. “It just loads the game so fast.”

That's not the same thing. I'm talking about from title screen>new game>playing.

True but I think the most important load times will be during actual gameplay. Like dying and having to reload an area. That kind of thing.

The real game-changer is Bloodborne's improved respawn loading times. Previously players were forced to wait up to 44 seconds to revive in complex areas like Central Yharnam. But with the patch now installed, a whopping 26 seconds is cut off that loading screen after dying. This means respawns at the Central Yharnam lamp now take just 18 seconds on a stock PS4 HDD.

Hopefully none of us have to go through this again.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
So, you mean via ‘Continue’ or ‘Load Game’? I guess we’ll have to wait and see, as we’ve not had an example of that... but quite what difference it will make I don’t know. It’s about the size of the environment and the assets that are being loaded in to start playing.

Cold boot also has to load in stuff for game logic and character assets which are kept in ram through scene changes after that. Cold boot will also have the heaviest work in anything procedural that needs to be done.

ABnormal

I’m a bit baffled by this. The Demon’s Souls footage literally shows this.

To be fair, the purpose of DS shown gameplay was to show the quality of the game, but it was a recorded session. We do not know if they simply cut the loading times from the video to save time (I don't think it was intended as to show loading times, just the visuals and movement).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A current-gen game is not going to be "next-gen SSD aware" without modifications and because of that it won't take advantage of new storage APIs, hardware decompression blocks etc. Just like the same game doesn't load 5 times faster if you stick a SSD in a current generation console.

What does "SSD aware" mean? Why does the game only load 5x faster with 50x higher raw read speed? Ok, not using new APIs, but that shouldn't make you lose 90% of the transfer rate when the I/O hardware is supposedly 50x faster. Is MS's API mapping/abstraction that bad, or are they intentionally limiting transfer speed with the old APIs? Also, why do they keep using these current gen games to show off the SSD advantage if they aren't "SSD aware"? Seems dumb.

I'm not even taking hardware decompression into account, 2.5GB/s is the raw speed before you consider that.

Using an SSD in a current gen isn't at all comparable, because that's a hardware limitation. The SATA controller just can't do it. The XSS/X don't have that limitation (or they shouldn't, at least).

Last edited:
Top Bottom