• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S load times

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
True but I think the most important load times will be during actual gameplay. Like dying and having to reload an area. That kind of thing.

I agree. But the example in the OP and the post I was responding too, related to starting from the menu.

What does "SSD aware" mean? Why does the game only load 5x faster with 50x higher raw read speed? Ok, not using new APIs, but that shouldn't make you lose 90% of the transfer rate when the I/O hardware is supposedly 50x faster. Is MS's API mapping/abstraction that bad, or are they intentionally limiting transfer speed with the old APIs? I'm not even taking hardware decompression into account, 2.5GB/s is the raw speed before you consider that.

Using an SSD in a current gen isn't at all comparable, because that's a hardware limitation. The SATA controller just can't do it. The XSS/X don't have that limitation (or they shouldn't, at least).
Because the game is probably just using old file systems to load the data. Just like how a super fast NVME on PC right now doesn't actually load much faster in games than an SSD. Once we have games that use Direct I/O they will likely load in the same ballpark as the PS5 titles we have seen as those are already optimized to load in that way. Demon's Souls is a ground up remake likely set up to use the PS5's I/o features, something which Outer Worlds is not.

Last edited:
I agree. But the example in the OP and the post I was responding too, related to starting from the menu.

I find it a bit odd that they haven't shown any loads during gameplay yet while Sony has. I'm sure games like State of Decay and The Outer Worlds have fast travel in them. That would be an excellent opportunity to show off the I/O.

Imagine fast travel in under a second?

Last edited:

Dolomite

Still kind of long. Where did The "lol 2s vs 4s" go, because people have said that series s is just as good as series x, just tuned down gpu.

Can we assume that it takes 11-12s to load on series x too then?

But definetly good enough, if everything loads under 20s on all next gen systems= good
10 seconds really doesn't impress me that much. Expecting 2-3 second full initial loads on PS5. It seems like the actual difference in loading speed will be larger than the 2.4x difference in raw read speed suggests. Sony has built in a lot of custom hardware to eliminate I/O bottlenecks all through the system architecture, to actually hit that 5.5GB/s number in real life situations. Seems like MS hasn't gone to the same lengths.

We're watching a Current gen game built to run on an HDD run on next gen hardware without optimization, chief. A Gen9 title built around the XVA/Kracken will load faster than a current gen game being ran on XVA/Kracken across the board

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Still kind of long. Where did The "lol 2s vs 4s" go, because people have said that series s is just as good as series x, just tuned down gpu.

Can we assume that it takes 11-12s to load on series x too then?

But definetly good enough, if everything loads under 20s on all next gen systems= good

It's long because it's not efficiently programmed in that regard, this game loads like shit on all platforms. More advanced games with better graphics loads faster. But the point of this video is not that, it's the comparison between the two consoles.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Because the game is probably just using old file systems to load the data. Just like how a super fast NVME on PC right now doesn't actually load much faster in games than an SSD. Once we have games that use Direct I/O they will likely load in the same ballpark as the PS5 titles we have seen as those are already optimized to load in that way. Demon's Souls is a ground up remake likely set up to use the PS5's I/o features, something which Outer Worlds is not.

Your PC not being able to load data that fast isn't just because of the file system, it's also because of hardware bottlenecks. Sony didn't spend time and money to build custom I/O hardware blocks into the PS5 for no reason.

Awesome. I assume same speeds for the series Xcareful... You guys are still choking on "we believe in generation" feathers

I don't know about that. Demon Souls and Ratchet seem to be built for the PS5s I/O. Plus I keep hearing how the I/O demos for Xbox haven't been optimized for the VA. So maybe generations do matter?

Once we start seeing games built for these I/O systems you will start to see the difference. Starting with Demon Souls in November.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's long because it's not efficiently programmed in that regard, this game loads like shit on all platforms. More advanced games with better graphics loads faster. But the point of this video is not that, it's the comparison between the two consoles.
What IS the point of the video, exactly? To show that in poorly made games, the XSS can load 5x faster? If it can actually do much better than that in a well made game, why would they not show THAT instead? It seems like this video is supposed to make you impressed by how much faster the XSS loads the game, so why use the worst possible example to show that?

Last edited:

rapid32.5

10+ seconds? still feels kinda long tbh.

they should've just shown off a game that loads faster.
like ~5 seconds, to be truly impressive
yeah, MS marketing team has been disappointing. They can't even properly demonstrate awesome BC library they had been rebuilding for the past 7 years. They chose a game with the worst loading times and graphics. And State of Decay before this. Come on man.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
That's a significant decrease from last gen version considering it is still using the old file system. Next gen games will load faster.

Self

That's a significant decrease from last gen version considering it is still using the old file system. Next gen games will load faster.

What's so difficult to understand about that obvious fact. PC gamers can tell you a nice story about it. Games have to optimized to use the full capacity of a SSD.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Probably because it will be the main driver for gamepass.

It's just odd to see MS start off their next-gen press with "Strongest console EVAR" and "12 TFs BOW DOWN" to now just showing the weakest 4 TF console in most of their ads. Like what happened over the last 6 months to make them change their tune?

Spokker

Decent. As much as forum dwellers like us scoff and say "SSDs are nothing new" I think the average consumer is about to have their mind blown.
External SSDs were hit and miss and depended on the game. The difference between Forza Horizon 4 loading in from a hard drive vs. an SSD was astonishing, but for other games it's mere seconds shaved.

MarkMe2525

It's just odd to see MS start off their next-gen press with "Strongest console EVAR" and "12 TFs BOW DOWN" to now just showing the weakest 4 TF console in most of their ads. Like what happened over the last 6 months to make them change their tune?
Agree, the only angle I can think of is kinda like a "you see what the cheap one does... Wait till you see the $500 box" Just my guess though.

mckmas8808

Agree, the only angle I can think of is kinda like a "you see what the cheap one does... Wait till you see the $500 box" Just my guess though.

And if you are right, wouldn't that be a weird way to go about selling your new console generation of systems? Wouldn't MS want to lead with their best version of everything? From the better console to the best loading games? Like others said.......why chose State of Decay and Outer Worlds?

Last edited:

Flintty

Your PC not being able to load data that fast isn't just because of the file system, it's also because of hardware bottlenecks. Sony didn't spend time and money to build custom I/O hardware blocks into the PS5 for no reason.

Thanks for the info. I know you love talking about Sony so can you fuck off back to a Sony thread now 😂
Seriously, you sound like you work for them.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Yeah there was a loading screen.

SerpentineHandsomeHoneyeater-size_restricted.gif

Also take into account that the PS5 version is probably loading alot more data than the PS3 version due to the much higher quality assets. Makes the demo even more impressive IMO.

If anything it's a demonstration of what next gen games that are optimized correctly for the I/O will be capable of.

I'm not sure if the Xbox with it's VA and SFS will be capable of similar results. All I've seen to date from Xbox are unoptimized demos of the VA using Xbox One titles. Haven't seen a next gen demonstration from them yet.
Not apples to apples. This is a remake of a game rather than the same game running on different hardware.

Decent. As much as forum dwellers like us scoff and say "SSDs are nothing new" I think the average consumer is about to have their mind blown.

This is one of the most exciting things about next gen for me.

I have limited amounts of time to play and eliminating the 5-10 minutes of loading anytime I want to switch games will be huge.

Not apples to apples. This is a remake of a game rather than the same game running on different hardware.

And the remake looks much better than the original yet the loading times are much faster.

Your point?

Edit: Also the PS3 only has 256MB of memory and the PS5 has around 12GBs for games. The PS5 is obviously loading alot more than the PS3 is.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Because people need to know it works exactly like the Series X.

Then why not show the Series X and Series S at the same time?

My point is that a game built from the ground up to take advantage of new architecture is not the same as new architecture running the same unoptimized code.

Then why wouldn't MS just show a game that has optimized code to use the SSD already?

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Dark Souls PS3 loaded that in about 10 Seconds there per a comparison in another thread. So assuming the exact same 5x decrease shown here, the Xbox would do that in 2 seconds, whereas the PS5 version's transition is just under one second.

So It would be 1 second vs 2 seconds.

Fast travel in a PS3 title with small interiors is way faster than a cold boot of a Open World game on Xbox One

Thing is, Microsoft has only shown current gen (not last gen) games loading, and even "switching" between games takes at least double of those 2 seconds.

Now, that's all fine and dandy, but what this shows is that the PS5 can reach full ram occupancy in 2 seconds, and the Xbox, even with it's 4.8GB/s promise, is reaching HALF ram occupancy in 4 to 12 seconds.

This has implications on game design, the amount of assets being streamed, the quality of those assets, etc.

My point is that a game built from the ground up to take advantage of new architecture is not the same as new architecture running the same unoptimized code.

And you think the PS3 version of demon Souls will take longer to load on the PS5 due to the code being unoptimized?

Significant overall improvement but if i were MS i would not show a "quick loading" game take more than 10 sec. If there point was to only show the difference between Series S and one S then this is a good showing to get the point across.

Dodkrake

Banned

Mostly bullshit. The platform's throughput is the bottleneck, not game code.

The reason why a PS4 pro with an SSD doesn't load a game in 2 seconds is not related to the SSD throughput, but the actual capabilities of the PS4 pro. if the PS4 was capable of streaming assets at 2.5GB/s, it would happily consume that data.

MarkMe2525

And if you are right, wouldn't that be a weird way to go about selling your new console generation of systems? Wouldn't MS want to lead with their best version of everything? From the better console to the best loading games? Like others said.......why chose State of Decay and Outer Worlds?
I think they know in their hearts of hearts that they are gonna sell a lot more series s consoles. It still is really early, the gen hasn't even started yet. They may also believe that the hardcore are already aware of the series x, now they are trying to entice the casuals. Their messaging could change on a dime, kinda wait and see what happens. Speculating of course. I know they haven't showed me why I should get a series x yet, hoping they will soon.

Last edited:
Mostly bullshit. The platform's throughput is the bottleneck, not game code.

The reason why a PS4 pro with an SSD doesn't load a game in 2 seconds is not related to the SSD throughput, but the actual capabilities of the PS4 pro. if the PS4 was capable of streaming assets at 2.5GB/s, it would happily consume that data.

You make a pretty good point there. You can upgrade the PS4 Pros HDD to an SDD and you will see improvements. However the bottlenecks that the PS4 Pros I/O system has will stop you from gullying taking advantage of the SSD. For example a big limitation to the speed will be that Sata 3 interface which is capped at 3GB/S. And even if you have an SSD that fast the speed won't reach that due to other bottlenecks on the system.

mckmas8808

I think they know in their hearts of hearts that they are gonna sell a lot more series s consoles. It still is really early, the gen hasn't even started yet. They may also believe that the hardcore are already aware of the series x, now they are trying to entice the casuals. Their messaging could change on a dime, kinda wait and see what happens. Speculating of course. I know they haven't showed me why I should get a series x yet, hoping they will soon.

You're probably right. Makes me wonder how their 1st party game development may change if the Series S is the clearly majority seller though.

Top Bottom