• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox portfolio team on TLOU2

Greeno

Their best is Gears and even that's just what i'd call adequate. Guns feel good but it's still using the same sluggish controls since the first game

Vanquish, TLOU2 and MGSV

Nothing else comes close to those three

I honestly disagree.

In TLOU2:

* combat usually ends up in close range attacks where melee combat and human-shield tactics take-over. The game continuously pushes the enemy closer to your distance as if their long-range weapons are useless.

* Also, shooting a gun in TLOU2 feels inaccurate because of the continuous interference of the animations with your movement. You usually have to end up fighting against the animation to be accurate enough for a kill (this is something that also happens to be true for RDR2).

In MGSV:

* You are fighting AI that simply don't know how to use any meaningful tactics (in ranged combat) and any ranged combat usually ends up in a gun shootout where you end up winning.

I haven't played Vanquish, so can't comment on it.

For me, the best gunplay experience was provided by Max Payne 3 (I honestly don't know how Rockstar ended up with the gunplay in RDR2), followed by Gears of War.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'd say tloup2 has the best gunplay mechanics along next to mgsv. It's not just pop pop move on its the systems in place. Its the animations, the attentions to detail of said weapons, is the ways enemies react when shot either a limb and they take weight off of their leg or shriek when their arm falls off, or the gurgling of blood when an enemy dies etc is what makes it the best, top tier and probably never beaten. Naughty dogs attention to detail is second to none, and as much as they say it's not good what are they comparing it to, Gears? Where Every enemy are bullet sponges and just flip over after?

No chance. And it's these takes that are so extreme that make me believe hardly anyone plays actual games. Even Control and The Division 2 shits on gunplay in TLOU II.

Hardly none of what you mention is 'gunplay'. Animations of enemies? Top notch but not gunplay. Enemy reactions amazing but not gunplay.

Gears has amazing gunplay, and you'd expect it to given the competitive scene. Put it into context counter strike has none of those things you've listed but has excellent gunplay. MGS is miles ahead as well. Like literally miles.

Fredrik

Internal appraisal of competing products for research purposes? Tell me it isn't so! /s

I assure you that Sony also has people playing and dissecting Xbox exclusives. The conclusions they arrive might be different though.
Yeah this is standard practise, in all industries, I’ve done this too in other fields, it’s not bashing a competitor but praising, dissecting and getting inspired by good things other teams are doing in the same industry.

There is a reason why Breath of the Wild is seen in other open world games now, why Gears of War is seen in other third person shooters, why Uncharted is seen in other story based games, why Minecraft is seen in crafting games, etc.

It’s still cool to get to see this type of document though. And it gets me excited for the future of MS 1st party games. TLOU set the bar high, anyone that tries to reach that type of presentation will end up with a great product even if they don’t reach the target.

harmny

Banned
MS writing a better review than every San Francisco professional journalist 🤣.

Naughty dog showing the world the power of crunch culture

Last edited:

sainraja

No chance. And it's these takes that are so extreme that make me believe hardly anyone plays actual games. Even Control and The Division 2 shits on gunplay in TLOU II.

Hardly none of what you mention is 'gunplay'. Animations of enemies? Top notch but not gunplay. Enemy reactions amazing but not gunplay.

Gears has amazing gunplay, and you'd expect it to given the competitive scene. Put it into context counter strike has none of those things you've listed but has excellent gunplay. MGS is miles ahead as well. Like literally miles.
You are discrediting him but not really providing what you think makes 'good' gun play. There is nothing wrong with the gunplay mechanics in The Last of Us. Since you mentioned Gears, what makes its gunplay amazing?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
reads like a pretty glowing review, and they arent exactly wrong about the gunplay part...its pretty average but it all works in the scheme of the game world..like your a survivor not..master chief.

So the definition of good gunplay is... being a bullet hell? Doesn’t make any sense. The gunplay in TLOu2 is top of the class, and it’s universally praised.

sainraja

Should be if it’s not destiny 2 then….

If you actually look at my post I mostly play that and compare everything to it.
Destiny 2 is also the main game I have been playing (almost too much these days) and I love its gunplay. But I don't think you can compare that to a third person shooter. Not in any meaningful way.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
like, recore isn’t even a bad game really. It was low budget and quite fun but to even try and spin that it was close to the same type of game as returnal was hilarious to see. Flipping idiots.
It’s when they go full fanatic retard, they circle around and diss themselves.

elliot5

I enjoyed TLOU2's combat, but I can see what they mean when they say you're more or trained to favor stealth because the gunplay isn't optimal from a strategic point of view. If the gunplay felt better, I don't think that would just mean you could go guns blazing anyway, but perhaps having "worse" gunplay makes you avoid it even more as a player.

Still, I love Uncharted and TLOU and think the gunplay is serviceable. It's not as snappy or fluid or diverse as Gears, sure, but maybe it's not supposed to be.

Thirty7ven

Banned
so TLOU2's gunplay is what you consider best in class?

to each his own I guess..

Best TPS gunplay since Max Payne 3. But there’s a scale and I’m ok with people who have different opinions. Saying it’s not even decent is just... being on the wrong side of history and a bit damning honestly, in this context where people responsible for evaluating it actually affect game development.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

What makes good gunplay is bullet sponges then? Because thats what those games are and if you're going to deny that the systems in place such as those things dont contribute to good gunplay then I have no idea what to tell you because its directly correlated in how you makes games a certain way.

TLOUp2 is just as much as engaging as those examples above except their characters arent bullet sponges and take several shots to die because the games are built that way.

Counterstrike whilst has its following has probably some of the most boring gun play that has aged poorly, counterstrike is nothing but a glorified peak game now.

when I think engaging I think not just actual weapons I think of attention to detail, animations, reactions, the feel, the sound the rawness of gameplay etc, not how much bullets it takes in a magazine to down an enemy.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
You are discrediting him but not really providing what you think makes 'good' gun play. There is nothing wrong with the gunplay mechanics in The Last of Us. Since you mentioned Gears, what makes its gunplay amazing?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with TLOU II, read my first post. My contention is that people putting it into the top bracket of great gunplay is wrong.

There seems to be two schools in this thread. A group of people who are concerned with what happens after the bullet has gone. The effects, animations, blood, reactions etc. How it looks, and the pressure is exerts on the player. Which is fine, but they are emotive player reactions which will vary across a range.

The other school is focused on gun in hand mechanics - responsiveness, accuracy, movement/smoothness, consistency, no artificial gimmicks like sway etc.

Which is fine. TLOU II is not meant to be a TPS. It is focused on stealth the majority of the time, and limited bullets/resources. The whole game is built round making you feel vulnerable despite having guns. Its slow paced shooting doesn't marry with the head shot centric meta either (e.g. Abbys rifle) when compared to the fast enemies.

The gunplay is decent in a vacuum of best available route and stealth. As soon as you're off one of those tracks the ability to shoot your way out via skill is extremely limited (assuming not easy/1 hit modifier) because of the limitations in the 'gunplay'. You have to get back onto the track (re-enter stealth), run past encounter (where possible) or have resources set to light.

cormack12

Gold Member
What makes good gunplay is bullet sponges then? Because thats what those games are and if you're going to deny that the systems in place such as those things dont contribute to good gunplay then I have no idea what to tell you because its directly correlated in how you makes games a certain way.

TLOUp2 is just as much as engaging as those examples above except their characters arent bullet sponges and take several shots to die because the games are built that way.

Counterstrike whilst has its following has probably some of the most boring gun play that has aged poorly, counterstrike is nothing but a glorified peak game now.

when I think engaging I think not just actual weapons I think of attention to detail, animations, reactions, the feel, the sound the rawness of gameplay etc, not how much bullets it takes in a magazine to down an enemy.

The division 2 has excellent gunplay and you can argue veterans or elites are bullet sponges.

Try another approach with the argument. You tell me 3 games which have better gunplay than TLOU II

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How did this become public?
It’s in the first sentence of the OP, gotta love discovery phases in court cases.

Which puts a lot of things into perspective as to why some cases are refused to see the light of day, even when your gut feels something is there.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Uhh, yes it is?

If you're someone that's prone to consuming too much salt i'm not suprised you pass over my comments

Hope you get better one day. Truth hurts

Ah, the highly original rebuttal favoured by teens between 14 and 17 when trying to save face. Cool story bro. You keep enjoying your shooting mechanics at a surface level. Doesn't bother me. And it shouldn't bother you.

What makes it good

I will answer when you answer the question asked of you that you have tried to redirect and avoid.

Ah, the highly original rebuttal favoured by teens between 14 and 17 when trying to save face. Cool story bro. You keep enjoying your shooting mechanics at a surface level. Doesn't bother me. And it shouldn't bother you.

It doesn't bother me at all

I'm not the one getting triggered and throwing shit over a game I haven't played because people are praising it's excellent gunplay

Grow some balls and daddy might praise you one day

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

They failed to learn the use of R1, which allows quick swapping between weapons.

They specifically say this was needed, but it literally exists. No need to use the D-dap to switch weapons. Just tap R1.

0t4LMsO.jpg

cEa3jHu.jpg

And I love the guns in Part 2. Feels great.
Wtf at the person writing this? "Quick switch" is literary there.

Couldn't they warn him he's making muppet out of himself?

GIF by NETFLIX

cormack12

Gold Member
It doesn't bother me at all

I'm not the one getting triggered over game I haven't played being praised for its gunplay lmao

Grow some balls and daddy might praise you one day

Don't cry dude. It's just a game discussion.

Your mask slipped with your last comment. We can see who's triggered clearly. That frustration leading to needing to try and get some shitty comeback in. C'mon then, what's the next one? There's two directions you can go. Let's see which one you pick.

Also just so you know:

screenshot_20210502-1zjjen.jpg

Last edited:
Don't cry dude. It's just a game discussion.

Your mask slipped with your last comment. We can see who's triggered clearly. That frustration leading to needing to try and get some shitty comeback in. C'mon then, what's the next one? There's two directions you can go. Let's see which one you pick.

I'll see what I can come up with

In the meantime you can continue to bitch and moan about other people's opinions

Kimahri

Banned
I wonder is Sony did a review of recore?....

result.....if we pretty much change everything this could be a great game...get housemarq on the phone...

seriously, how were fanboys even trying to compare those two games haha.
Recore was great. Wouldn't have it any other way. Housemarq would probably make a very good and very different game I wouldn't want.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
From the court documents on the case about Epic vs Apple comes this image. A review by the Xbox portfolio team (whoever they might be) about the last of us 2.

There are some curious tidbits there as them downplaying the gunplay (which I agree has never been ND biggest point) and them saying that should be what they aim to do on the next gen.

LkfPmoS.jpg

They should focus on Crackdown 3 and other Xbox games instead. This is as stupid as PlayStation reviewing Sea of Thieves.

Last edited:
Comes down to preference I guess. I was really disappointed by gunplay in Gears 5 (which I guess most people here are referring to).

Still very static combat just sitting behind those cover walls and pumping out hundreds of bullets.

For me TLOU2 was perfect in that regard. Very dynamic encounters and the weapons felt really impactful.

Then I presume you havent used shotguns in gears 5? One of the most satisfying things in gaming, get close to enemies and reduce them to chunks with well placed gnasher shot.

Gameplay changes a lot depending on your and enemy weapons. If your enemy is using torque bow, you cant just pop out and shoot at will.

Not to mention most scenarios end with enemies overwhelming all cover positions due to numbers. no idea why you think combat is static.

What makes it good

If its gameplay was'nt good, people wouldnt be playing it all these years later. Not to mention there wouldnt be any xbox fanboys or sales.

For me personally, i never played online before cause I get shot by ruthless killers. This is first time I am having fun online. Its designed to be fun and enjoyable, not stressful.

Kerotan

This might seem strange to some people, but console wars are not a thing in a business environment.
This is literally pert of a console war.

MS are analysing what Sony do in an effort to better themselves and have a higher chance of beating Sony in future. They're not spending money on this because they're fans of Sony or some weird BS.

elliot5

They should focus on Crackdown 3 and other Xbox games instead. This is as stupid as PlayStation reviewing Sea of Thieves.
Who's to say they aren't focusing on Crackdown 3 in post-mortems.... why wouldn't you keep a pulse on other companies? I guarantee Google and Apple review each others stuff.

I would be surprised if Sony hadn't reviewed Sea of Thieves internally (this document isn't meant to be public btw). Sony is likely looking at Microsoft's GaaS games like Sea of Thieves and strategizing on what they can learn to make their multiplayer games in the future find success.

Sony is hiring for multiplayer projects, quietly. They will continue to make AAA single player stuff, but it's pretty naive to think they aren't keeping a pulse on MP/GaaS titles and wanting to get in on that action.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They failed to learn the use of R1, which allows quick swapping between weapons.

They specifically say this was needed, but it literally exists. No need to use the D-dap to switch weapons. Just tap R1.

0t4LMsO.jpg

cEa3jHu.jpg

And I love the guns in Part 2. Feels great.
Lmfao wow. You literally cant take these gameplay bashers seriously. .

This game quite literally has the best combat ever in a game. Yeah I said it. NOTHING is more visceral than this game

anthony2690

Banned
Amusingly really well written review, written better than the majority of reviewers out there.

My personal biggest gripe with ND ganes though, I personally don't find their games fun to play, and I usually think the combat/gunplay isn't good.

But I can definitely see the appeal of their games, especially to a casual audience that just want a cinematic experience.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I don think MS has a single studio that could match the production values, gameplay and writing that ND achieved with this game.

To be fair, neither does Sony lol.

I LOVE to see the back and forth haymakers ND and Santa Monica throw at eachother with every release though.

I didnt think the original TLOU was topped until God of War 2018. Then I didnt think God of War would be topped.. Then TLOU 2 came out and crushed it.
Cant wait to see how Santa Monica replies.

This is why internal competition is so important and a bigger win for gamers than just buying corporations.

Last edited:

sainraja

I didn't say there was anything wrong with TLOU II, read my first post. My contention is that people putting it into the top bracket of great gunplay is wrong.

There seems to be two schools in this thread. A group of people who are concerned with what happens after the bullet has gone. The effects, animations, blood, reactions etc. How it looks, and the pressure is exerts on the player. Which is fine, but they are emotive player reactions which will vary across a range.

The other school is focused on gun in hand mechanics - responsiveness, accuracy, movement/smoothness, consistency, no artificial gimmicks like sway etc.

Which is fine. TLOU II is not meant to be a TPS. It is focused on stealth the majority of the time, and limited bullets/resources. The whole game is built round making you feel vulnerable despite having guns. Its slow paced shooting doesn't marry with the head shot centric meta either (e.g. Abbys rifle) when compared to the fast enemies.

The gunplay is decent in a vacuum of best available route and stealth. As soon as you're off one of those tracks the ability to shoot your way out via skill is extremely limited (assuming not easy/1 hit modifier) because of the limitations in the 'gunplay'. You have to get back onto the track (re-enter stealth), run past encounter (where possible) or have resources set to light.
Fair enough I guess but once you've upgraded your weaponry in TLOU: P2 the gunplay & gameplay shines on its own with its versatility. The thing that makes ND games work is how they blend mobility with gunplay which a game like Gears does not provide. That doesn't make the gunplay weaker or the game's weak point. The gunplay in the game is still very good but the game is designed so you have to be careful in how you use it. Those are completely separate things so you can't try to use that as an excuse to say why one point is weak and I don't think gunplay is a weakness for ND games.

Top Bottom