• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox portfolio team on TLOU2

Strategize

I always find it weird when people compare gunplay in games. As if the shooting in Gears has the same goals as the shooting in TLOU.

TLOU2's gunplay is essentially flawless for what it wants to achieve, which is to be a useful tool but not dominate the rest of the mechanics so that game becomes a shooting gallery like Gears.

The general loop TLOU2 wants to achieve in it's combat is the following...
Stealth >>> Spotted >>> Shoot >>> Enemies Close Distance >>> Melee/Improvise >>> Enemies Overwhelm >>> You Die/Frantically run away and repeat the cycle.

This is why they showcase the game this way instead of simply doing a demo where Ellie just casually owns everyone. Yes, this demo is scripted, but it does reflect the general loop of the final game very well.

Scrappy Desperation. The A.I, Level Design, Weapon and resource balancing, gunplay, movement, everything is built to push that feeling.

This is why the game, except one weapon at the end of the game, only has single shot weapons. Why weapon sway is enabled. Why you get knocked to the ground after the getting shot. Why you can't carry that much ammo or resources. Why there's no cover button. And it's also why the game imo, simply doesn't work on lower difficulties (this includes normal), all that work on careful balancing and smart design choices is destroyed in favor of almost unlimited ammo and health, destroying said loop. The more you make the game a shooting gallery the worse it becomes, because while the game is playable as a shooting gallery, the mechanics aren't built for it specifically.

What makes the game so incredibly impressive from a design standpoint is that it manages to create this tension and scrappy desperation while still allowing a remarkable amount of freedom in movement and in scope in levels. I believe ND called TLOU's combat back in 2012 "a balance of power", this is perfect description because it manages to make the player feeling both vulnerable and impowered in the same encounter most of the time. Compare this to how alot of survival games create tension, by removing player moblity and making enemies bulletsponges instead.

So lets just say the reviewer doesn't enjoy this style of gunplay, fine, because he does say he think it fits the game. Then what's the excuse for not thinking UC4's gunplay is good then? Because that's just as good in a very different way. In fact the way it handles automatic recoil with the reticle is close to genius and something I've not seen done in a TPS, GTA 6 should copy it.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I thought the gunplay/combat was fantastic and easily the best part of the game, it just misses its chance to shine at 60fps which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The Last of Us 2 fared very well critically and it looks like even Sony’s main rival, Microsoft, reviewed the game as well and thought highly of it too

unknown.png

In an internal Microsoft document called as ‘Executive Portfolio Update’ (which was made public due to the Apple vs. Epic Games lawsuit), Microsoft’s internal review of The Last of Us 2 called it “significantly ahead of anything available on consoles and PC.

Here’s an excerpt from the review:

"The visual quality and attention to detail in The Last of Us Part II is absolutely best-in-class in basically every area, and the overall presentation is significantly ahead of anything that other teams have been producing on console and PC.
We were frequently stunned by the quality of the game’s visuals, something that sadly seldom happens these days. It’s even more impressive considering that the game feature two separate player characters with different groups of allies, in different locations, along with flashback sequences taking place years before.
It features a shockingly wide variety of environments, weather, and day cycles in locations ranging from Wyoming to California"

Mind, companies reviewing their competitors’ products is nothing new. Still, it’s nice to see Microsoft acknowledging the game’s excellent quality.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Why people can't write correct headline, fack me I searched Microsoft and Last of Us and of course nothing showed

I hope Microsoft doesn't touch on cinematic games the Last of US. Those games are good but that is something you play once and just forget about.
The industry needs showpiece games like this. If you want to get a glimpse of the future of visuals and animation then you look at these types of games or is everyone happy playing cookie cutter open world games.

I paid full price for Last Of Us 2 and I don't regret it one bit. I would pay the same if this was an Xbox title. This is the reason why I love console games so much. I know there's a handful of developers that's going to push the tech to bleeding edge in each generation and Naughty Dog is at the top of that list.

Raonak

Banned
Interesting that MS do reviews of games they don't publish themselves.

But yeah, fantastic game of course. I wonder how long it's gonna take for MS to hit that consistent quality that Playstation Studios are on atm.

What they wrote in the end.
The Last of Us part 2 is the exceedingly rare video game where it accomplishes in moving forward the art of narrative storytelling in video games as a medium ultimately outweights whether or not everyone “likes” it or even has “fun” playing it. That said we loved it, had a great time playing it, and we find ourselves still thinking about its characters and stories even after finishing the playthrough.
Double same. Xbox are Ponys.

But yeah, fantastic game of course. I wonder how long it's gonna take for MS to hit that consistent quality that Playstation Studios are on atm.
Its fucking fantastic that they do.

Why? Because it shows me they're interested in crafting their own unique AAA story focused games. I'm all for Xbox trying to match Sony's best. Competition like this healthy and will push the AAA scene on even further.

I'm absolutely stoked for this.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Perfect summery of what is imo the pinnacle of interactive entertainment, it was 30hrs of pure wonder, frustration and an emotional roller coaster...but seriously guys how anyone who has played this to the end doesn't give it a 10/10 no matter how you feel about it politically or whatever ya gotta admit it was a fucking banger of a game

Everything aside from the story is really good - presentation and graphics are crazy - gameplay is also a step up from last of us 1

Last edited:

Codes 208

Why people can't write correct headline, fack me I searched Microsoft and Last of Us and of course nothing showed
Because many people (myself included) prefer abbreviations. Ergo TLoU2

Why? Because it shows me they're interested in crafting their own unique AAA story focused games. I'm all for Xbox trying to match Sony's best. Competition like this healthy and will push the AAA scene on even further.

remember during e3 a few years back when they each developer/publisher on highlight discuss their favorite game that they no connection with?

that was interesting

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

All companies review the competition and the great ones appreciate the competition, clearly Xbox respects what's Sony does and vice versa it's only the small percentage of fanboys that get on like dicks

No, they call the overall presentation ahead of anything on PC or console.
And they be right. From the get-go it felt like I was sitting through a Netflix series and my partner was eagerly following the story as well and she doesn't game at all.
And every other time I fired up my PS4 Pro to play this game she would want to sit down and follow the story while I played. First time ever this happened and it just goes to show you how much was poured into this game by the developer.

Absolutely everything here is dripping with quality and attention to detail. I'd be happy with a PS5 enhanced version before ND start work on their next PS5 exclusive.

I would love it if they tried too but based on previous comments by Phil Spencer and Matt Booty I don't think they will be doing a whole lot of that.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Because many people (myself included) prefer abbreviations. Ergo TLoU2
I know, me too. But for a title I really think it's better to use the full name, this helps for research and I would not have posted the thread again...

yurinka

Internal appraisal of competing products for research purposes? Tell me it isn't so! /s

I assure you that Sony also has people playing and dissecting Xbox exclusives. The conclusions they arrive might be different though.
If Sony has people for that they won't be very busy, they don't have a lot of recent games to play.

Last edited:

Renozokii

I would very much like to see Sony’s opinion on Forza, Ori 1&2 and Flight Simulator.
Good racing game - forza

Damn wish we signed the contract for these first oh well - ori

why are we playing this on an Xbox this is barely a video game - flight simulator

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Ah, the highly original rebuttal favoured by teens between 14 and 17 when trying to save face. Cool story bro. You keep enjoying your shooting mechanics at a surface level. Doesn't bother me. And it shouldn't bother you.

I will answer when you answer the question asked of you that you have tried to redirect and avoid.

What was it what are games compared to good gun mechanics to tloup2?

Id say MGSV, Read Dead Redemption 1, and Battlefield Bad Company 2

Shmunter

And they be right. From the get-go it felt like I was sitting through a Netflix series and my partner was eagerly following the story as well and she doesn't game at all.
And every other time I fired up my PS4 Pro to play this game she would want to sit down and follow the story while I played. First time ever this happened and it just goes to show you how much was poured into this game by the developer.

Absolutely everything here is dripping with quality and attention to detail. I'd be happy with a PS5 enhanced version before ND start work on their next PS5 exclusive.
I’m shocked we haven’t got a PS5 enhancement. The synergy of one selling the other and vice versa, staggering.

Portugeezer

When you consider that this is a classified review document and was written for internal distribution at Microsoft, there's a ton that jumps off the page but some of the most notable quotes for me were...

"The visual quality and attention to detail are absolutely best in class in basically every area and the overall presentation is significantly ahead of anything that other teams are producing on console and PC"

"Naughty Dog have crafted and delivered a story that THEY wanted to tell. Not every game's designs can support the level of visual fidelity they produce, and not every team has the money or talent to produce it"

Since this is a Microsoft internal document, I think it's safe to assume that when they say ND is "Significantly" ahead of other devs teams on console and PC, they're talking about themselves.

Naughty Dog right now be like

giphy.gif
Uh oh, VFXVeteran VFXVeteran coming for you.

angrod14

It seems that they didn't get that the gunplay in TLOU was always supposed to be as grounded in reality as possible (without loosing the "fun" factor, of course). Go watch a real life shootout and see if it plays out like in Call of Duty or Gears of War. Accurately shooting guns in real life is hard, specially while in movement. They are heavy, they recoil like a bitch, they are hard to reload and they are terrifying; they are instruments of death. Shootouts are freaking tense and bullets come and go in a very sparse way.

You also need to consider that No Country for Old Men was a big influence for Naughty Dog since the very conception of this IP. Have you seen the shootouts in that film?

Last edited:

skit_data

TLOU2 isn’t supposed to be fun. The gunplay isn’t supposed to be fun. Its supposed to be a last way out when your cover has been blown, its meant to feel chaotic.

But i can’t deny its satisfying to land a sledgehammer into someones face when quickly moving between obstacles, pick up his axe and jam it into the next fuckers trapezius. And the next one, and the next one after that.

I am more of a melee person, at least when playing as Ellie.

Perrott

Gold Member
I found this The Last Of Us: Part II review by the Xbox team and their PS5 launch lineup predictions really fascinating and I'd love to have a look a more documents like this.

Three

gunplay in TLOU2 is best in it's class
And yeah the game has quick swapping. How did they go through the entire game without figuring that out?
I completed the Order 1886 without knowing Blacksight existed. Always wondered what that bar was. Only figured it out once I had completed the game and was finishing off trophies. Yeah, I'm ashamed.

Top Bottom