• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Some people on social media, I just....

Yesterday “ Fake outrage. haters. Trolls”

Today “Great news, Xbox listens”

Fuck sake, I give up. The insider program was exactly the same.

Moogle11

Banned
Never had an issue with that. I have an og play and charge that I got with another controller in 2014 that's still going. It's in my elite 1 that I don't use much anymore but never had disconnection issues.
Have you used it with XSX? From what I gathered it seems to maybe be an issue with the play and charge kit battery in the Elite controller when used on XSX.

That said, reviews of the Xbox One play and charge kit are very mixed with lots of general complaints of issues with disconnects, battery not holding a charge after a few months etc so I was hesitant in buying. As long as I keep not having issues when using Eneloops I’ll probably just stick with them and take the L on the play and charge kit and deal with batteries.

Maybe I’ll buy an Elite Version 3 controller if/when they put one out. Assume that will have the built in battery like the V2 and have the share button the V1 and V2 lack. I used to prefer using rechargeable AAs, but now that I have a better set up with cables well organized and in a magnet block on the side table next to me it’s less disruptive to just plug in than have to pop batteries in and out.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Have you used it with XSX? From what I gathers it seems tony w be an issue with the battery in the Elite controller when used on XSX.

That said, reviews in the play and charge kit are very mixed with lots of general complaints of issues with disconnects, battery not holding a charge after a few months etc so I wasn’t hesitant in buying. As long as I keep not having issues when using Eneloops I’ll probably just stick with them and take the L on the play and charge kit and deal with batteries. Maybe buy an Elite Version 3 controller if/when they put one out. Assume that will have the built in battery like the V2 and have the share button the V1 and V2 lack.
I haven't it. When I get the series 2, series 1 became my PC controller.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
So happy you guys finally get to play F2P games without Gold! It's a small thing that is nice to have if you are ever short on cash, and can't afford to pay to play online for a short while. Well done on those that made your voices heard regarding the price hike.

I remember one of my friends telling me he needed it to play Fortnite and such, and it baffled me at the time.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have Gamepass for another 2 years from the cheap conversion deal. I'm not sure if I use it enough to justify $15/month after that wears off. Maybe once MS first party is running full steam I might. I also don't play things online enough to justify $120/yr. I'm glad they walked that price back to a more friendly $60/yr. Moving F2P games off Gold is the right move also.

Moogle11

Banned
I have Gamepass for another 2 years from the cheap conversion deal. I'm not sure if I use it enough to justify $15/month after that wears off. Maybe once MS first party is running full steam I might. I also don't play things online enough to justify $120/yr. I'm glad they walked that price back to a more friendly $60/yr. Moving F2P games off Gold is the right move also.

I figure when my two+ remaining years run out I’ll probably just buy a month or three if Gamepass when a bjg first party game I want to play hits or enough things I want to play have been added. Assuming they aren’t continually adding enough I want to play to make it worth keeping constantly anyway.

Roberts

Some people on social media, I just....

Yesterday “ Fake outrage. haters. Trolls”

Today “Great news, Xbox listens”

Fuck sake, I give up. The insider program was exactly the same.
I don't think they were the same people. None of the prominent social media people I'm aware of were trying to downplay/support the price increase.

Roberts

Little Nightmares turned out to be pretty good (it was GWG in January). Same type of game like Limbo or Inside. Short, not too hard, but creepy as fuck especially the twin cooks. Auto-HDR is subtle, but it adds to the atmosphere. I just wish it had a higher resolution - after being spoiled by 4K or near 4K res, this looks a bit too soft. Still, one of the better GWG games we had in a while.

9p5m3o7tva241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pantz

I wonder how multiplayer will work with other paid games. Will you be able to play the next Battlefield or Call of Duty multiplayer without gold? If Halo Infinite can do it why couldn't they?

DaGwaphics

I wonder how multiplayer will work with other paid games. Will you be able to play the next Battlefield or Call of Duty multiplayer without gold? If Halo Infinite can do it why couldn't they?

They can control the gold requirement on a per game basis (they must be able to since they offer free play days on certain games), free games won't need gold. Paid games like CoD or Madden will continue to require it, though CoD Warzone won't need it.

I don't think they were the same people. None of the prominent social media people I'm aware of were trying to downplay/support the price increase.

Sorry I should of been more clear, I was talking about people I know personally, fellow fans and so on.

The media can go fuck themselves, had many chance to ask about it (FTP Paywall) to executives and never did as far as I’m aware

So question. I’m going on the XBL page one the store and it only has the 1 & 3 month options. The 6 & 12 month ones are absent. Have they just not updated it yet or am I doing missing something… ?

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Nice to see there’s still a weekly GamePass concern troll thread.

I wouldn't feel at home here if we didn't have our usual Game Pass concern/complaint threads and nonstop Xbox Discord, MS shills, FUD allegations and Digital Foundry conspiracy whining.

That Hitman 3 thread with the usual DF crying and conspiracy accusations is comedy gold. I'm currently playing the "inferior" version of Valhalla ( Series X version). It's absolutely gorgeous and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. If the Sony Bros would calm down and quit having meltdowns over 40% less pixels I'm sure they could have that same enjoyment with Hitman 3.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I wouldn't feel at home here if we didn't have our usual Game Pass concern/complaint threads and nonstop Xbox Discord, MS shills, FUD allegations and Digital Foundry conspiracy whining.

That Hitman 3 thread with the usual DF crying and conspiracy accusations is comedy gold. I'm currently playing the "inferior" version of Valhalla ( Series X version). It's absolutely gorgeous and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. If the Sony Bros would calm down and quit having meltdowns over 40% less pixels I'm sure they could have that same enjoyment with Hitman 3.
That thread will hit 2000 posts while the OT will sit around 200. I don’t think a lot of GAF even plays games. Console wars always get thousands of replies and actual game threads are pretty barren.

I am back to playing AC:V again after a break to play other things. That game goes on forever. I also cleared Hitman 3 once on PS5. I need to do some level replays now. AC:V on XB and HM3 on PS5. I guess I have a knack for buying the “bad” version of every game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DaGwaphics

The Hitman thread is precious. I'm not sure why they think they need to win them all, spoiled from the PS4 days I guess. XSX seems to be doing fine for me, even if it underperforms the PS5 here and there. LOL

The first time that a Zeni game is console exclusive for Xbox, that's going to really be something to see.

Cyberpunkd

I’m trying for a week trying to get the damn Arctis 7X, out of stock on the main website, Amazon and Fnac do not carry it, wtf. For the first time in my life I wanted something that is not rubbish 15W PC speakers or EarPods plugged into the controller.

Kagey K

Banned
That thread will hit 2000 posts while the OT will sit around 200. I don’t think a lot of GAF even plays games. Console wars always get thousands of replies and actual game threads are pretty barren.

I am back to playing AC:V again after a break to play other things. That game goes on forever. I also cleared Hitman 3 once on PS5. I need to do some level replays now. AC:V on XB and HM3 on PS5. I guess I have a knack for buying the “bad” version of every game :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah the OT has very little movement. I just bought the game last night and nobody is in there talking about it.

I’m actually surprised there’s such little interest in it.

Roberts

Yeah the OT has very little movement. I just bought the game last night and nobody is in there talking about it.

I’m actually surprised there’s such little interest in it.
I have a weird relationship with Hitman games. I think I have played at least half of them, but never finished any. I just like to try out a mission, do it in all kinds of ways and then drop it for a few months. It's not that I find boring, on contrary, I love the experience, but it is not a game that I want to occupty myself often. I would definitely want to read more opinions not on the game itself in general terms, but about the strategies.

Roberts

One cool thing I found about Auto-HDR is that it helps with some games that don't have any brightness/gamma settings. My daughter loves to watch me play My Time in Portia, but it had that annoyingly low-contrast, over-bright look to it that I couldn't really change. Now with Auto-HDR, the colours and brightness are so much more pleasing to the eye.

Harts316

The Hitman thread is precious. I'm not sure why they think they need to win them all, spoiled from the PS4 days I guess. XSX seems to be doing fine for me, even if it underperforms the PS5 here and there. LOL

The first time that a Zeni game is console exclusive for Xbox, that's going to really be something to see.

It reminds me of elementary school when kids would stand by their system no matter what. We had camps of Genesis kids and SNES kids (and one Turbografx guy). Part of it was a coping mechanism because their parents wouldn’t buy them an additional console so they had to convince everyone they made the right decision.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One cool thing I found about Auto-HDR is that it helps with some games that don't have any brightness/gamma settings. My daughter loves to watch me play My Time in Portia, but it had that annoyingly low-contrast, over-bright look to it that I couldn't really change. Now with Auto-HDR, the colours and brightness are so much more pleasing to the eye.

Yes, I admit I was a non believer in how it would actually look in games and, despite some few instances here and there of over-bright sections, it does generally improve things a bit.

CatLady

People need to stop going back forth with them, just leave them to jerk off over each other

That's a good policy. You'd be better off slamming your head against the wall than getting involved in the back and forth and who even really cares. As I said, playing Valhalla on the Series is no less enjoyable for me if the PS5 has a few more pixels or frames and I'm sure the same is true for Hitman on the PS5.

BUT what I can't stand and absolutely will comment on is the ridiculous conspiracy theories and slander of DF or anyone that says anything positive about Xbox or doesn't praise Sony enough. Conspiracy theories are no longer tolerated in Politics, I wish the same was true on the gaming side.

Kagey K Kagey K So how is Hitman 3 anyway? Do those extra pixels make it super awesome or is the game good or bad on it's own regardless of pixels? 🤣

CatLady

I know this is the Xbox OT but I have to post this anyway. Can you imagine how depressing it would be to come home and find your new console looking like this.
Note to parents: Keep your console where little children can't use it as an art project :messenger_beaming:

Concern

That's a good policy. You'd be better off slamming your head against the wall than getting involved in the back and forth and who even really cares. As I said, playing Valhalla on the Series is no less enjoyable for me if the PS5 has a few more pixels or frames and I'm sure the same is true for Hitman on the PS5.

BUT what I can't stand and absolutely will comment on is the ridiculous conspiracy theories and slander of DF or anyone that says anything positive about Xbox or doesn't praise Sony enough. Conspiracy theories are no longer tolerated in Politics, I wish the same was true on the gaming side.

Kagey K Kagey K So how is Hitman 3 anyway? Do those extra pixels make it super awesome or is the game good or bad on it's own regardless of pixels? 🤣

I want to wait for price drop but im tempted to just buy it since I only played the first on my Ps4. So I'm leaning on the deluxe that includes the trilogy 😑😑😑.

Roberts

Yes, I admit I was a non believer in how it would actually look in games and, despite some few instances here and there of over-bright sections, it does generally improve things a bit.

Yeah, it happens once in a while, but I have a feeling MS will fix that eventually (or turn off AHDR on games like that). That said, it helps fiddling with AHDR settings a few times to see if it makes it any better for you. I think I recalibrated it four times before I got the right balance of everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moogle11

Banned

I am back to playing AC:V again after a break to

Yep. That’s still the biggest downside to GAF post 2017 exodus. The game OT crowd mostly left for Era and stayed there or has ventured on to Discord, Reddit or wherever. This place is still a gazillion times better than those places especially ERA. I’ve just taken to making heavy use of ignore thread for all the sales/performance/other console warrior nonsense and ignore user for any who repeatedly console wars (don’t care about which “side“ they’re on, as I have all platforms and no loyalty to any of them).

Place is more enjoyable after doing that and just coming to skim news and mostly just read and post in the few threads that are chatting about games and accepted that it’s mostly just sharing thoughts with little discussion. I can live with that over having to tune out all the crap on Era, Reddit etc. The latter can be ok sometimes I suppose, especially game specified subs for more niche titles.

But as others say, it’s definitely key to just not engage with console warriors. Be it those trolling platforms you prefer or joining up with people on your “side,” the less people engage with them the sooner that noise will get drowned out a bit. It won’t go away, but it’s usually always loudest pre launch and the first year or so of a new generation.

Last edited:
I know this is the Xbox OT but I have to post this anyway. Can you imagine how depressing it would be to come home and find your new console looking like this.
Note to parents: Keep your console where little children can't use it as an art project :messenger_beaming:

Are those dead people in coffins!? And what the hell is with demon lady in the top left? These are some messed up kids 🤣

Moogle11

Banned

Yeah I was skeptical as well as any image enhancement things tend to look off to me, but everything I’ve played that uses the Auto HDR has looked great so far.

DaGwaphics

It reminds me of elementary school when kids would stand by their system no matter what. We had camps of Genesis kids and SNES kids (and one Turbografx guy). Part of it was a coping mechanism because their parents wouldn’t buy them an additional console so they had to convince everyone they made the right decision.

The silliness of it all, very immature. #SegaDoesWhatNintedont #AllAboutThatBlastProcessing #SuckedToBeTheTG16Guy

Moogle11

Banned
It’s the exact same, except now it‘s significant others who won’t let them buy the other console(s), or they don’t make enough to be able to afford it easily enough, or they lack the time to play enough games to justify it and knowing their missing some great exclusives flares up their FOMO and makes them defensive etc.

Top Bottom