• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Pantz

I can understand the need to raise price on things but something about this seems odd.

I really thought they were going to merge regular Game Pass and Gold and get rid of the free monthly games, maybe even raise the price on that.

Doesn't really affect me since I stock up during sales but I wonder how the general populous will react over time.

TBiddy

Personally it doesn't affect me, since I haven't had Gold in many years, but as someone invested in the Xbox ecosystem, it hurts.

Imagine if Sony comes out tomorrow and announces that they'll lower the price of PS+ to 39.99$ a year?

Concern

Personally it doesn't affect me, since I haven't had Gold in many years, but as someone invested in the Xbox ecosystem, it hurts.

Imagine if Sony comes out tomorrow and announces that they'll lower the price of PS+ to 39.99$ a year?

That would be great. Kinda like when they tried screwing us on used games...... but Jim is another corporate douche. If anything, I expect him to price it the same. I hope not tho

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Dane

I think it was a troll, there's no way someone tought there it would be a good idea, it was even more illogical than the Xbox One DRM because even Sony was actually planning to do the same and bundle the camera until Microsoft gave the first shot and... you know the rest.

Not to mention that now F2P games will no longer require it as rumors said. They could just had said that they were backtracking on the price hike and that's it, but making such important change?

Honestly, this is all very strange. Like, did no one there think "Hey, a 100% price hike probably isn't going to go over well"? What exactly were they expecting the reaction to be?

MS is truly baffling sometimes. But hey, good on them for reversing it and making F2P actually free. Now maybe I'll get an XSX later this year.
I think the price changing was something scheduled far in advance where with the launch of Infinite there would've been an announcement of free to play games not requiring gold. In a different timeline, Infinite launches, free to play games don't require Gold and then this changes happens a few months later. Tone deaf from them regardless but good on them to see the outrage and reverse course.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Lmao what an extremely quick turnaround. What an unnecessary shit show. F2P unlocked, good stuff MS but the veil slipped today. ‘Glad I work at a company that listens to feedback’ - good grief. Clearly wasn’t an increase due to operating costs others they wouldn’t walk it back.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

I think "Missed the mark" is a bit of a understatement.
I was only thinking the other day how fantastic value gaming is whatever platform we are on or how we choose to buy our games etc. And even though I will probably stay on GP for this entire gen and I expect that to go up a little later on, plus the added value of me sharing it with my Son. I wasn't willing to be basically dictated to like that. I would have cut my nose of to spite my face. Sometimes its just about principles but thank God they have changed there minds after all the good work of turning the ship.
For now at least.

Bridges

Quick Resume is so much more of a useful feature than I anticipated it being, it feels great to be able to jump game to game with such ease.

Anyone know if there is any intent to add it to the games that don't have it yet? Almost every game I've tried on the Series X supports it, but I've been surprised by a few random ones like Fuser and Dead Rising 2: Off The Record. I'm curious if there's been any publicly stated reason why some games don't have it, and if there's any chance of more games getting it over time.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Posted elsewhere but the Series S in particular is buoyed by this announcement.

Free to play Rocket League, Apex, Fortnite, Warzone and Halo Infinite.

Free cloud saves, messaging and voice chat.

A Series S with the basic £7.99 Game Pass subscription is now really viable.

GPU isn’t a necessity any more.

quazy

Neo Member
Posted elsewhere but the Series S in particular is buoyed by this announcement.

Free to play Rocket League, Apex, Fortnite, Warzone and Halo Infinite.

Free cloud saves, messaging and voice chat.

A Series S with the basic £7.99 Game Pass subscription is now really viable.

GPU isn’t a necessity any more.
As I said in the other thread. I think they should include the online playing ability for all game pass titles as well, this would make it way more attractive. Or maybe completely include Gold, but leave MS games Day 1 out and include them 3 or 6 months later. Whatever they do, I think the normal game pass is caught in the middle at the moment. This is especially for all the casual player who mainly care for Fifa, GTA online etc. and thus need Gold, but maybe open to try some games from GP without being forced to pay 10$ more for GPU.

Roberts

When it comes to MS decision to fix their own fuck up, I think we owe a lot to people who live and breath all things xbox, like xbox journalists, insiders and enthusiasts on twitter. They never tried to defend this decision and were pretty clear that it is a huge mistake. I wonder if Sony would have changed their mind about $70 price tag if fans were just as loud?

Greeno

When it comes to MS decision to fix their own fuck up, I think we owe a lot to people who live and breath all things xbox, like xbox journalists, insiders and enthusiasts on twitter. They never tried to defend this decision and were pretty clear that it is a huge mistake. I wonder if Sony would have changed their mind about $70 price tag if fans were just as loud?
I'm just grateful that they actually listened fast.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Greenberg saving the day

my man denzel GIF

Gatox

Banned
Although I'm pretty sure we will never find out I would love to see the timescale and who was involved in these decisions from start to finish. The initial decision to raise prices goes completely against everything xbox has been doing for around 24 months, so who exactly pushed for this. For the turnaround to happen so quickly makes me wonder if some higher ups were against it from the start then pushed back once the community backlash kicked in. All very odd.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Although I'm pretty sure we will never find out I would love to see the timescale and who was involved in these decisions from start to finish. The initial decision to raise prices goes completely against everything xbox has been doing for around 24 months, so who exactly pushed for this. For the turnaround to happen so quickly makes me wonder if some higher ups were against it from the start then pushed back once the community backlash kicked in. All very odd.
Smells kinda like a way to make free to play games not needing live being bigger news than it otherwise would have been.

DaGwaphics

The F2P news is fantastic, MS will probably earn more in the long run, that Fortnite money is something. The F2P paywall always seemed counter to their position of keeping the x1 hardware on fire sale, and now with releasing the S. This could really be a great move.

We'll just forget about this misguided attempt at a 100% price increase.

Last edited:

Mmnow

Frankly, the reaction to the u-turn has been hilarious. People who don't own Xbox and never will are certain that this means Microsoft are hurting for money and therefore this means:

A) Gamepass price increase (because its too good a deal and Sony fanboys hate that).
B) Bethesda games coming to PlayStation (because Sony fanboys hate exclusive games they don't have).

Conveniant that, eh? Doesn't matter it doesn't make a lick of sense, but still.

Looking at the original post, this is one of those "stupidity rather than malice" moments, and boy was it stupid.

I think they thought doing this would increase value of Gamepass, and they're not wrong. I think the people this would have actually effected is tiny. Didn't 70 per cent of early Series X adoptors already have Gamepass? Old Gold users were going to keep the same price anyway, at least for now, so it was about pointing newbies in the direction of Gamepass.

This was about killing off Gold. Making online free? Probably not. But transitioning people away from the old service and into the new.

But somehow they didn't reckon with the optics of DOUBLING THE DAMN SUBSCRIPTION PRICE. Even if its only for a minority. Even if its only for those going forward. Even if the peoe moaning wouldn't have paid a penny extra (or at all).

It's just monumentally stupid. Thank God they changed their stance. I'd like to think they'd learn from this, but they probably won't.

Night.Ninja

Banned

I doubt the higher ups were against earning more money. The price increases was just too drastic.

I reckon the higher ups realised that price increase pushback could destroy all the work they have done so far and right at the start of a new generation its not worth it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This reeks of someone pushing this through citing the negative PR will be worth the gain. You don't just suddenly decide to make FTP not require gold after this debacle.

DaGwaphics

I doubt the higher ups were against earning more money. The price increases was just too drastic.

I reckon the higher ups realised that price increase pushback could destroy all the work they have done so far and right at the start of a new generation its not worth it.

This. If Sony did this they could probably get away with it, as long as they left pricing for existing users the same. Xbox doesn't have 100m users on tap already, so they need new users, and whether that is new single console users or PS users picking up an XSS, the high price for online play would have been a problem.

The expediency of the reversal is something. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The price increase thread has some special people in it too. This forum is really going to be special overall in the weeks and months to come, you can just feel it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DaGwaphics

It all seems weird to me that people would be Gold members only and not have Game Pass for the few quid more.
Basically a Xbox owner without GP is an idiot at this point. But, still the optics were just too bad for a 100% price increase. Plus, before today it would have made the XSS $420 out the door to play Fortnite for the first year vs. PS5 DE (assuming they ever move beyond unicorn status with these) at $400.

Moogle11

Banned
Does the play and charge kit just suck? I grabbed one (the newest version of it) for my Elite V1 controller as it’s more convenient to just plug in with the USB cables I have set up and organized next to my gaming seat than swap out Eneloops. But I‘ve had lots of disconnects where the controller randomly just turns off despite being at or near full charge using it. Went back to Eneloop and haven’t had any issues so far. Didn’t see much online other than a random Reddit post or two with similar issues and speculating that the play and charge battery just doens’t provide enough power for the Elite pad for some reason and leads to randomly turning off.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Does the play and charge kit just suck? I grabbed one (the newest version of it) for my Elite V1 controller as it’s more convenient to just plug in with the USB cables I have set up and organized next to my gaming seat than swap out Eneloops. But I‘ve had lots of disconnects where the controller randomly just turns off despite being at or near full charge using it. Went back to Eneloop and haven’t had any issues so far. Didn’t see much online other than a random Reddit post or two with similar issues and speculating that the play and charge battery just doens’t provide enough power for the Elite pad for some reason and leads to randomly turning off.
Never had an issue with that. I have an og play and charge that I got with another controller in 2014 that's still going. It's in my elite 1 that I don't use much anymore but never had disconnection issues.

Top Bottom