• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Roberts

After RDR, what 360 era game do you think benefits most from BC enhancements?
Yeah, FF13 looks better than quite a few XO games. But mostly it helps when games' art design has aged well. Forza Horizon looks good. If you squint, Mirror's Edge looks like a new game. First AC looks surprisingly good for the most part. Skate 3 looked great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gears 5 on Games With Gold next month

"The February Games with Gold lineup is here! On Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, experience one of gaming’s most acclaimed sagas in Gears 5, survive against the living dead in the horror-thriller title that started it all with Resident Evil, and experience the gorgeous and imaginative world of Salt in the action-adventure platformer Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, crack your whip and get ready to explore in Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb, and return to the troubled world of E.D.N III in the action-shooter, Lost Planet 2."

New Games with Gold for February 2021 Featuring Gears 5 and More - Xbox Wire

Greeno

okay, when will Microsoft announce that F2P is going free. I just don't see Halo being F2P making sense if F2P requires gold.

Kagey K

Banned
Gears 5 on Games With Gold next month

"The February Games with Gold lineup is here! On Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, experience one of gaming’s most acclaimed sagas in Gears 5, survive against the living dead in the horror-thriller title that started it all with Resident Evil, and experience the gorgeous and imaginative world of Salt in the action-adventure platformer Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, crack your whip and get ready to explore in Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb, and return to the troubled world of E.D.N III in the action-shooter, Lost Planet 2."

New Games with Gold for February 2021 Featuring Gears 5 and More - Xbox Wire

I haven’t played that Indy game since it was released, seems like a good time to replay it after last weeks announcement.

splattered

What is the Xbox team thinking? What will they achieve with this move?

More people moving to GPU which is slightly more expensive.

They have probably been struggling with this for a while.. obviously they want everyone on gamepass but tons of people still only use the cheaper XBL Gold. I don't think there really is an easy transition to GP because if you just yank gold altogether the next step up is a lot more expensive and would really piss off all the super cheap people out there. I guess this is more of a stepping stone towards the higher price of GP.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What is the Xbox team thinking? What will they achieve with this move?

The value of Gold doesn't make a lot of sense but instead of simply killing it in a good PR effort to push more consoles which result in more revenue the people in charge think they can move more people over to GPU and achieve more revenue.

At this point is a consumer going to change their home platform because online is now free? Its possible but I would bet most people would not. They instead want to entice you with Game Pass as its different and far more compelling than Gold.

Lone Wolf

This will damage Xbox big time. Why would a casual grab a Series S and Madden when they have to pay $120 a year to play online. Meanwhile all Xbox games on PC have no online fees. They were doing so well, and now a giant step back. I have Ultimate so I’m not affected, but I know many who will be. People will go to PlayStation instead. Terrible move by Microsoft. People should be fired over this.

Banjo64

cumsessed
digging self destruct GIF

Fucking dummies.

Well there it is

So what's everyone going to do?

Vote with your wallet either way. Personally I think Games with Gold hasnt been consistent in a positive sense since Gamepass. I also think it’s telling they haven’t mentioned anything new going forward such as features or game offerings.

Forsythia

You really wonder what they were thinking. I hope they receive enough backlash so they'll revert it. There is NOTHING that justifies this. No one subscribes for the "free" games and online multiplayer should be free to begin with. It's a fucking scam and they know it. What a way to push people to the competition.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Well there it is

I’m fucking gutted mate. I was happy to go Xbox for a lot of third party games and first party moving forward. With Nintendo and Sony, I just don’t know whether I’ll be able to access my legacy content on their next system.

Just bought a Series S on launch. I have GPU, I love GPU. But now, if I want to let it lapse, I won’t be able to play any online game because I won’t be extorted.

I’ve said it in another thread, but I’ll happily wait until my GPU expires in 2023 to get the lay of the land. If Gold is still $120 a year I’ll build a PC. Love Halo, Gears, Forza, Bathesda and Obsidian’s games, Fable, Perfect Dark, Rare’s games – but I could buy them all in the Steam Sales moving forward, without an online fee.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Well for me unless my region gets a price hike its £11 a month for game pass unlimited, which ain't too bad considering netflix will be going up to £14 in February.

I guess Microsoft are trying to push people to game pass unlimited.

At the end of the day it's a business and their aim is to make money, I do wonder how much they spend to get games on game pass.

I’ll build a PC. Love Halo, Gears, Forza, Bathesda and Obsidian’s games, Fable, Perfect Dark, Rare’s games – but I could buy them all in the Steam Sales moving forward, without an online fee.
I think building a PC is the way forward anyway I'm starting to hate console gaming just because it's so closed in.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Its bad business and drives people away from their platform making them less money.
It's not bad deal when you think about it.

With the new price rise xbox live gold will be $10 a month and for a extra $5 you get game pass unlimited and $15 a month which includes gold. Don't get me wrong I fucking hate price increases but it is inevitable unfortunately.

12 months of gold = $120
12 months of game pass unlimited = $180 an extra $60 to rent games 🤷

But if there were to improve xbox live gold what would you want to see?

Last edited:

Roberts

Not a good move, obviously. Doesn't affect me, but I feel bad for people who just joined or about to join xbox family and don't really need gamepass. Let's see how it goes and if they will revert it, because this has already created a shitstorm backlash.

There was a good marketing way to push people to Gamepass and a bad marketing way to push people towards Gamepass.

This was the tonedeaf (especially in a pandemic) bad way to push people towards Gamepass.

Should've instead convert all Gold memberships to Gamepass Ultimate for the duration of their current subscription (people get a taste of what they didn't upgrade to) and then say Gold is gone. It's now either Gamepass Ultimate or free multiplayer. The return on Gamepass Ultimate and the massive amount of goodwill would've outweighed the people who just let their Gamepass lapse and walked away.

Massive mistake, massive fumble, MS stays making MS decisions and its just another taste of why I've got a PS5 and XSX instead of just a XSX. MS can't get out of their own way sometimes.

Was planning on possibly getting an XSX later this year but with this price increase I probably won't now. Already got a decent gaming PC so it would've been a bit pointless in the first place, but this is pretty much the final straw for me.

And if Sony pulls this same shit they can fuck off too.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
While I was happy to pay £11 a month for GP when my current deal ends I feel like cancelling it in support of the people who only wanted gold as this is a complete piss take. I'll move to Sony only (was getting a PS5 as well anyway) and possibly get a PC.

While this recent news about the price bump doesn’t really impact me much at all personally, I do have to scratch my head as to why MS would do this, when they have created quite a bit of goodwill and excitement around the Xbox platform up to this point. They must think that the benefit to their bottom line is worth the negative pub they are receiving over this.

Well there it is

Stick with free gamepass.

DaGwaphics

This will damage Xbox big time. Why would a casual grab a Series S and Madden when they have to pay $120 a year to play online. Meanwhile all Xbox games on PC have no online fees. They were doing so well, and now a giant step back. I have Ultimate so I’m not affected, but I know many who will be. People will go to PlayStation instead. Terrible move by Microsoft. People should be fired over this.

Completely agree. I liked the old idea of free Gold, LOL.

Seriously though, MS has been merging PC and Xbox together but PC gets multiplayer for free and console players are effectively penalized. Ybarra is right on there. They could still do GP and GPU as well, just differentiate the two with content.

BigLee74

Ooops, MS, what are you doing?

I’m in the fortunate position that my GPU doesn’t expire until Dec 2022.

I will review the costs then as things are likely to change.

The only thing I know for sure is that I will not pay £85 a year for Gold if I can help it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Theres some number on some graph that is pushing the decision makers to think that some people will continue to pay for gold separate and have no desire to have Game Pass to the extent they think theres no reason to give gold away even though GPU is the far better deal.

Andodalf

Banned
Theres some number on some graph that is pushing the decision makers to think that some people will continue to pay for gold separate and have no desire to have Game Pass to the extent they think theres no reason to give gold away even though GPU is the far better deal.

They also want to have as many people on a month to month recurring, and this lines their single purchase cards to the same price, disincentivizing them and making the recurring option more competitive.

Greeno

I just don't understand why didn't they drop Gold requirement for F2P. Halo Infinite's multiplayer doesn't seem so free if it is locked behind a 120 dollars a year paywall. It is similar to all other multiplayer experiences provided on GamePass that are not F2P.

TBiddy

Greenburg bust have wrote it.

Haha yeah. I keep thinking he was planted by Sony at some point. It's one thing to make a stupid decision like this - that's above his paygrade - but at least try and sell it, instead of just posting that nonsense they wrote.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Haha yeah. I keep thinking he was planted by Sony at some point. It's one thing to make a stupid decision like this - that's above his paygrade - but at least try and sell it, instead of just posting that nonsense they wrote.
(inside xbox division as we speak trying to make this move make sense)

Always Sunny Fx GIF

(greenburg)
Excited Harry Potter GIF by Sky

Ok sorry. Ill stop shit posting.

It just seems so poorly timed and poorly worded. What on earth were they thinking?
Like I said in the other thread, the bullshit spin they try and put on it reminds me a lot of the 2013-era Don Mattrick fuckery. And yes, springing this on people months after the consoles launched and people already bought them, and in the middle of a pandemic, just makes it look even more sleazy. Just terrible all around.

Top Bottom