• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Moogle11

Banned
Since my contract is up mid-January, I've been thinking about downgrading from 200Mbs to 100Mbs ($60 -> $45) per month and then tacking on unlimited. I guess I could just blow through my courtesy month for the year but it's not like I'm playing a lot of what I'm downloading right now, so I can deal with managing my cap for a few more months.

We also got our speed upped as part of the new contract. Went from 175mpbs (usually tested 220-250mbps) to 400mbps (usually tests in the 500mbps range so far.--wow, just got 730mbps on speedtest.net now on my wired desktop). We pay a ton though as we need cable for sports, wife's shows etc., need HBO etc. We pay $185ish now after all taxes, fees etc. Was $145ish on the old promo and then 170ish when that ran out.

Stinks, but we do watch a ton of TV, I download lots of games (especially now with Gamepass on XSX) and stream a lot of things so we get usage out of it. Doing something like internet only with Xifinity and then Youtube or Hulu Live TV both ends up costing us more with how Xfinity jacks up the cost of standalone internet if you don't bundle cable, the current cost of those services with all the channels we need etc. Also moot now as both cut the regional Fox sports channels and I watch a ton of Braves and Atlanta United games on those. Maybe they'll get added back at some point, but I'd have missed a lot of of games the last part of this season and they still haven't gotten added back.

bender

What time is it?
We also got our speed upped as part of the new contract. Went from 175mpbs (usually tested 220-250mbps) to 400mbps (usually tests in the 500mbps range so far.--wow, just got 730mbps on speedtest.net now on my wired desktop). We pay a ton though as we need cable for sports, wife's shows etc., need HBO etc. We pay $185ish now after all taxes, fees etc. Was $145ish on the old promo and then 170ish when that ran out.

Stinks, but we do watch a ton of TV, I download lots of games (especially now with Gamepass on XSX) and stream a lot of things so we get usage out of it. Doing something like internet only with Xifinity and then Youtube or Hulu Live TV both ends up costing us more with how Xfinity jacks up the cost of standalone internet if you don't bundle cable, the current cost of those services with all the channels we need etc. Also moot now as both cut the regional Fox sports channels and I watch a ton of Braves and Atlanta United games on those. Maybe they'll get added back at some point, but I'd have missed a lot of of games the last part of this season and they still haven't gotten added back.

I was paying $120.00 ($70 monthly service + Unlimited Data) before my last contract that dropped me to $60. I'm not sure I feel the effects of a speed drop.

Lego Island Update: 6GB. Sigh.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What the fuck at those broadband prices. Wow.

In the UK even the shittiest providers will provide fibre to the cabinet with no data caps for sub £30 a month.

I’m with Virgin Media who do fibre to the premises (not truly though, it’s a coaxial) - no throttling at all, no caps 200 download, 20 upload for £30 a month.

100 dollars plus a month, I’m speechless.

splattered

I pay $75 for gigabit internet with cox but an extra $50 for unlimited data, otherwise they cap you at like 1tb or 2tb and then you have to pay i think $10 per additional 50GB of data afterwards? It's ridiculous... with all these huge game updates my internet bill started to skyrocket until i added the extra $50 per month

Night.Ninja

Banned

In the UK even the shittiest providers will provide fibre to the cabinet with no data caps for sub £30 a month.

I’m with Virgin Media who do fibre to the premises (not truly though, it’s a coaxial) - no throttling at all, no caps 200 download, 20 upload for £30 a month.

tenor.gif

JLB

Banned

Its crazy. I pay a third of that for an uncapped 1000/500 connection. Benefits of living ina third world country I guess hah

Moogle11

Banned
NO - Thank YOU, Game Pass, for giving us an amazing year of gaming that looks to be even better next year. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Looking forward to it for sure. Plan to do most of my gaming via Gamepass next year. Need to chill on spending after the next gen upgrade (including getting a 4KTV finally and some pricey home repair crap in our future.

Andodalf

Banned
Andodalf Andodalf give a review on the penroses when you get them, I ordered the steel series 9x should have them by Tuesday depending on the sounds quality I might return them

I absolutely love them. It’s my first time with a Planar Magnetic headset and the difference is huge. I spent most of the day Saturday listening to music on them, and it’s legit 10/10 for someone who likes music but isn’t a full on audiophile.

They have a well balanced sound profile by default, without overpowering bass, or losing much in the mid tones (to my ear at lest). The soundstage is really great, you can locate everything in a track so so much easier. It’s really true that planar’s make listening a different experience. The way the instruments sound so distinct instead of slightly blended almost makes it sound unnatural, even though it’s what things were supposed to sound like the whole time! I’m also very pleased with the loudness, it’s certainly adequate!

There is a very slight amount of white noise that is audible when things are very quiet, but in my pair this was very negligible.

The soundstage and isolation make them excellent for gaming, and the connectivity has been perfect for me. I’m impressed by how the dongle for the Penrose X also works perfectly for the PS5 with no issues! Also the ability to use Bluetooth at the same time as the wireless is excellent for listening to music and a game at the same time without dealing with console apps. My only issue is that the mix seems to not be able to be changed in the current firmware.

I find them surprisingly comfortable, and not overly warm, which is surprising given that they are closed back and have a pretty strong clamping force. I have a smaller sized head and glasses, so for me it’s better at getting a good fit than many other headsets. This was my biggest concern coming in and I really like the build quality in the end!

Cannot recommend them enough if you plan to game and also like music!

One note that has nothing to do with the Penrose, but using good headphones always drives me batty in games that have some super low quality sound effects. Assassins creed has some insanely low res sounding things.

Also- Tetris effect connected is GOTY. I’m actually getting decent at Tetris!

bender

What time is it?
Day One Impressions:

-I know it's simple, but I love the design of the Series X (vertical). It also makes me dislike the PS5 aesthetics even more.
-It's dead quiet. PS5 is improved in this regard, but you can still hear the faint hum of the fan kick on when starting a PS5 game.
-UI seems much snappier from the One X.
-I've mostly only messed with Forza Horizon 4 but the load times are much improved. I booted up FH4 on my dying One X to unlock the Cyberpunk vehicle and the load times felt like an eternity after Miles Morales and DeSo on PS5. I can't wait to see a native Series X game in action in this regard.

How do physical games work on Series X? I just noticed all physical games have the Xbox one and Series X versions combined into one disc, unlike the PS4 and PS5 versions which are two separate discs. Is the Series X version even on the disc or is it just downloading it when you put the disc in?

Gerdav

I was like 😳😳 at those prices, I have 300mb, unlimited, one month of those American prices gets me not far off 6 months, they are crazy prices.

reksveks

As a former VM customer, might still be worth keeping any eye on traffic management rules. I might have had to set my nzb's to download at night-time.

Banjo64

cumsessed
As a former VM customer, might still be worth keeping any eye on traffic management rules. I might have had to set my nzb's to download at night-time.
Fairly certain they’ve scrapped their throttling during peak times/throttling based on usage. That’s what their advisor told me anyway, and I still get the full 200mbs download during peak times.

Last edited:

Maximus P

My Series X controller has drift on the right stick.

The Good news is that I was a bit of a collectomaniac with Xbox controllers on the previous system.

So great that I can just pick up an Xbox one controller and sync it up to the Series X without issue.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
How do physical games work on Series X? I just noticed all physical games have the Xbox one and Series X versions combined into one disc, unlike the PS4 and PS5 versions which are two separate discs. Is the Series X version even on the disc or is it just downloading it when you put the disc in?

I presume it will just download the upgrade like on One X but I buy everything digitally so don't know for sure.

Jemm

Fake. Avowed is not releasing on 2021, Hellblade II didnt have any trailer in June. Initiative working on Perfect Dark has been known for a while.
Well, I don't know about how accurate those years were/are, but I don't think Perfect Dark was known back in May? Guessed, maybe?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Well, I don't know about how accurate those years were/are, but I don't think Perfect Dark was known back in May? Guessed, maybe?
Everyone guessed since the studio logo was released.
0lNAHz.png

DataDyne_emblem.jpg

After this many people "leaked" that they were making Perfect Dark.

ZywyPL

Banned
This leak dates back to May 5th.

So basically XB won't take off until 2022. Feels like One X situation all over again, where it won't matter anymore because Sony will gain so much momentum, especially given their hard focus on launch/first year periods this time around, that by 2020 most people will be be playing on PS5 and you'll either join the party or play alone every coop/MP game there is, which obviously nobody wants to.

Jemm

So basically XB won't take off until 2022. Feels like One X situation all over again, where it won't matter anymore because Sony will gain so much momentum, especially given their hard focus on launch/first year periods this time around, that by 2020 most people will be be playing on PS5 and you'll either join the party or play alone every coop/MP game there is, which obviously nobody wants to.
The point of that tweet was to compare, how "right" those leaks were back in May when compared to later showcases and announcements. I wouldn't put any weight on the release dates, though.

It didn't mention anything about Zenimax/Bethesda deal or their games, either.

Concern

The point of that tweet was to compare, how "right" those leaks were back in May when compared to later showcases and announcements. I wouldn't put any weight on the release dates, though.

It didn't mention anything about Zenimax/Bethesda deal or their games, either.

But tbf, we know Zenimax has nothing in the immediate future for Xbox as of now.

Ps5 momentum is high after a great generation for the Ps4 on top of the fact that its a global brand.

At this rate, its the same as if ms just launched a year or two later, considering there's nothing big at launch.

Andodalf

Banned

lJ01Y8V.png

Halo Infinite being listed as next gen/PC only on Linked In. Probably means nothing, but would be a sensible move IMO

Imagine designing a game around a console. Every aspect of the game design made with certain limits in place. Map size, the length of the game, the number of players. You constrain your game in a hundred ways.

And then you abandon that console far too late to substantively change 99% of that. All the constraints are still in the design but now nothing to show for it.

This is not true if the game is hitting 2021 unless the game could also run on XB1 and they just won’t release it for optics, which I doubt. There may be a separate internal build with different teams, but throwing out that work for nothing would be insane. Trying to make an entire new game in a year for next gen is even more insane. This game could have released a month ago on last gen and probably been received fine. They’re taking time to make sure it has a ton of content for a great launch as well as revamp elements of the game for next gen such as the lighting, but that doesn’t require things that make the old gen version no longer work.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
But tbf, we know Zenimax has nothing in the immediate future for Xbox as of now.

Ps5 momentum is high after a great generation for the Ps4 on top of the fact that its a global brand.

At this rate, its the same as if ms just launched a year or two later, considering there's nothing big at launch.
Starfield and Wolfenstein 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom