• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Mmnow

The value of a platnium is great. It allows you to really feel like you completed the game and have something to show for it. But it's telling that nobody ever says how many gold or silver they have because nobody gives a fuck.

Achievements are nice in terms of every achievement feels as if counts to my overall score to a greater degree then than your trophy level. I do wish they would bring back the 1000 point badges for games. No idea why they got rid of it.
Sony has just completely screwed up their trophy system. I have some unrealistically high, unearned score, I can't see when I'll level up. It's completely destroyed my enthusiasm for something I used to really love. My mom, who hasn't ever touched a game, somehow has a higher trophy score than I had pre-inflation, on the device she uses to play dvds. Yup.

And platinum trophies are still way better than gamerscore. It's purely psychological, but on an individual game level it means something. It means I loved a title enough to do it, and it's there on display for all to see. There are memories behind that little icon.

Maybe I get 1000g from 50 games, maybe I get it from one. It looks the same to a casual observer. I really do wish there was something to show I've completed a game on Xbox. It's about the only OS feature I really think Microsoft "loses" on in my eyes.

That's pre-release, preview hardware. Also clearly they aren't starting the clock at the same time.

Edit, just put on GTAV on my Series X, can confirm it's really that quick. No bullshit.
It's bullshit because it ignores unskippable logos and other crap at the beginning. It's actually more like 50 seconds to load the game to playable state.

Man achievements are boring, as someone who is new to the Xbox ecosystem (I’m also a platinum hunter) I was looking forward to 100% games here as well but it just doesn’t give the same satisfaction as getting platinums, doesn’t help that I couldn’t manage to get a PS5 so I’m just stuck with a Series X for now.

Anyways, surprisingly I haven’t had any issues with the system so far and been a great experience, love the loading times on ESO and that game doesn’t even have a next gen update yet.

The Xbox UI/Preview Program team have had a ton of feedback regarding achievements for years (no exaggeration) and unfortunately nothing has been implemented to improve it.

Now, you would think, considering they were the first or one of the first to implement this kind of system on console, they would have perhaps made some attempts to add some stuff to it or make it as convenient/categorised as trophies. Nope.

They have also had years of feedback from many regarding DLC Achievements ( Being on PSN you will know they have a separate list for them), again, nothing.

I quit the Insider/Preview Program last month , it’s where you test out future updates and give feedback. I gave up due to the obnoxious abuse some give over simply giving feedback even in a courteous manner. I’ve never known a community in where it’s overly aggressive to ideas and feedback yet praise any actual implementation of a idea. It goes on via twitter too.

The Xbox UI has some cool stuff however in some regards they are no way as progressive as the 360 era, Achievements is one of them.

It's bullshit because it ignores unskippable logos and other crap at the beginning. It's actually more like 50 seconds to load the game to playable state.

Xbox Series X "ignores unskippable logos and other crap at the beginning" as Quick Resume loads the game in to playable state in ~4 seconds. But ok, thanks for the contribution.

Xbox Series X "ignores unskippable logos and other crap at the beginning" as Quick Resume loads the game in to playable state in ~4 seconds. But ok, thanks for the contribution.
The guy who posted video on Reddit is clearly not using Quick Resume as you can still see the initial loading screen.

I'm not saying that it's loading slow. I'm saying that the video is not credible.

The guy who posted video on Reddit is clearly not using Quick Resume as you can still see the initial loading screen.

I'm not saying that it's loading slow. I'm saying that the video is not credible.

You can Quick Resume into loading screens, menus or anything, a fact you'd know if you owned an Xbox Series X/S.

I'm not sure why you care. Credible or otherwise, the game loads literally in seconds on Series X. I'll delete the video and you can go back to lurking here, how about that?

You can Quick Resume into loading screens, menus or anything, a fact you'd know if you owned an Xbox Series X/S.

I'm not sure why you care. Credible or otherwise, the game loads literally in seconds on Series X. I'll delete the video and you can go back to lurking here, how about that?
I know how Quick Resume works. It create a virtual state of a game and saves it on a SSD. So naturally you can escape and return to it at any point.

Yes, GTA V still loads super fast compared to last gen. Yes, the video is bullshit and it is not showing the actual experience of a full initial boot of the game or even switching to and from GTA V using Quick Resume.

And no, you don't have get so easily triggered. I know NeoGaf is not an easy place to be a Xbox fan but c'mon man. :messenger_heart:

I know how Quick Resume works. It create a virtual state of a game and saves it on a SSD. So naturally you can escape and return to it at any point.

Yes, GTA V still loads super fast compared to last gen. Yes, the video is bullshit and it is not showing the actual experience of a full initial boot of the game or even switching to and from GTA V using Quick Resume.

And no, you don't have get so easily triggered. I know NeoGaf is not an easy place to be a Xbox fan but c'mon man. :messenger_heart:

Nah dude, you're in the Xbox community thread, go peddle your ACKSHUALLY arrogance somewhere else.

I'll just pop you on ignore, as you clearly don't have the self-awareness or humility to leave.

Last edited:
Nah dude, you're in the Xbox community thread, go peddle your ACKSHUALLY arrogance somewhere else.

I'll just pop you on ignore, as you clearly don't have the self-awareness or humility to leave.
Like I said: easily triggered. I own Xbox. I'm subscribed to Gamepass Ultimate. I play Microsoft games almost daily. I consider myself part of this community. Who the hell are you to tell me to leave? Talking about humility.

You can be part of the community and still point out obvious bullshit.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
2FsKott.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
Finished up gears tactics kind of sad I loved that game I hope for a sequel. I will miss it a lot. I started dead space very fun until a certain shooting part with asteroids. It was tough but I managed until this point. I need to be 10 years younger to do this with a controller. I might try dead space 2 instead until cyberpunk. All the positive buzz about immortal fenyx might try that.

e&e

Banned
Can anyone tell me why quick resume doesn’t work for Jedi Fallen Order on my Series S? I am playing from GamePass and when I go back to playing after putting Xbox to sleep, it says my Profile changed (there is only one profile) and restarts my game. Making quick resume kind of useless (?)...

DrDamn

I kind of get it that you feel rewarded to earn a platinum trophy instead of knowing you got 1000/1000, but otherwise I think xbox achievements are superior if you are not dead set on completing each game 100%. Let's say I have 600/1000 gamerscore for a certain game I finished so I got an overall feel on how i fared with it. Now, on PS4 I finish a game with 10 bronze trophies and 2 silver ones and I have no freaking clue how well I did unless I go into that particular game's achievements page.

They both have their plus and minus points, but I think with the PS5 update trophies have a clear advantage now and achievements could do with an overhaul. It's pretty easy to see how far you are through a particular games trophies now, it's right there on the game page you launch it from. They have proper tracking percentages through a specific trophy that MS added to achievements last gen, and they've enhanced that by integrating trophies into activity cards and online help.

The leveling system is too obtuse though, and the recent update didn't really help in that regard. I do prefer the bronze/silver/gold system as it gives you more of an idea of the difficulty the developer placed on it. The gamer score you get with individual achievements is meaningless. A 50 point achievement in one game can mean a lot more effort or skill compared to a 50 point achievement in another. The more effort the developer puts into including a variety of creative and interesting achievements the fewer points you get for each.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I went back to AC Valhalla today, I haven't played it for a week.
Selected game, it loaded in 3 or 4 seconds, as in me being able to start playing. There's was no quick resume sign or loading screen. Just straight to the pause screen from which I started playing. WTF Witchcraft.
Has it improved?

DrDamn

2 racing games a year?

Forza Motorsport was essentially confirmed for 2022+ when they announced it. Phil said it was in early development and there was no mention of coming to X1, so that dates it as at least two years after XSX|S launch.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You 2 posters make good points about trophy/achievements. But would have liked it if Xbox added a Platinum type feature, hopefully they will add it even if its just for games from a certain date.

oldergamer

Can anyone tell me why quick resume doesn’t work for Jedi Fallen Order on my Series S? I am playing from GamePass and when I go back to playing after putting Xbox to sleep, it says my Profile changed (there is only one profile) and restarts my game. Making quick resume kind of useless (?)...
Check your settings to see if you have the option for user auto/login/logout enabled

DrDamn

Huh that would be weird, I wonder why the chose to reveal FM then.

I mean even without a reveal people would assume or know it's coming, but getting the coverage and reminding people helps.

When and how to reveal games is a delicate balancing act. A console launch show liked this should set out some stuff for longer term too, but MS in the position they were in at that point were a bit too unbalanced for the 2022 games. Avowed, Fable, SoD3 all quite far out - but if you exclude them things can look a bit bare. We know now that the Bethesda acquisition has them much better placed for content coming sooner but they couldn't talk about that then.

Roberts

They both have their plus and minus points, but I think with the PS5 update trophies have a clear advantage now and achievements could do with an overhaul. It's pretty easy to see how far you are through a particular games trophies now, it's right there on the game page you launch it from. They have proper tracking percentages through a specific trophy that MS added to achievements last gen, and they've enhanced that by integrating trophies into activity cards and online help.

The leveling system is too obtuse though, and the recent update didn't really help in that regard. I do prefer the bronze/silver/gold system as it gives you more of an idea of the difficulty the developer placed on it. The gamer score you get with individual achievements is meaningless. A 50 point achievement in one game can mean a lot more effort or skill compared to a 50 point achievement in another. The more effort the developer puts into including a variety of creative and interesting achievements the fewer points you get for each.

At one point I considered editing my post to add one note. Like you said, they both systems are flawed and it is really about a personal preference. I played 360 way more than Ps3 and didn't pay any attention to trophies at all. Achievements, on the other hand, eventually got engraved into my gaming experience to a point where I can't imagine gaming without them (For this reason I barely ever play OG Xbox BC games). So, basically what I am saying is that it is not so much that I vastly prefer achievements over trophies, but that I am so much more used to them and comfortable with how they work.

That said, I would like them to separate main game and dlc achievos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace Attorney Trilogy hinted at coming to Game Pass. I played them on DS and own them on Switch, but would do another run on GP to support the series

Own it on PC too, but this is great, i think VA-11 Hall-A is also on GP too, personally, i prefer Ace Attorney but they're all fine visual novels.

I'm not a big visual novel fan but Ace Attorney somehow appeals in ways the others don't.

I'm a little bit cautious as to how it will feel compared to a handheld, but for those who haven't played the series so absolutely recommend picking it up if, as it seems, it's coming to Game Pass.

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
For those who are interested in knowing how Fifa 21 is doing in the S Series: The "big" change, in fact, the first thing that really catches your attention is the new camera. It is a very cool camera that covers a lot of the field and resembles some TV broadcast cameras. I believe that to play the career mode and the other solo modes it ends up being quite worthwhile for the immersion, but for those who are going to play online, they will want to use the usual cameras. Little changes for the guys of Ultimate Team. Graphically the game has improved, mainly in the textures of the players, uniforms and pitches. For the rest, nothing much different, the gameplay is the same as the Fifa 21 of the previous generation. On the scale, I think anyone who is very excited thinking about getting a new console because of this next-gen upgrade (and I know there's a lot of Fifa fans out there who would do that hehehehehe), both in the Series S and Series X / PS5 the changes are not big and it pays to wait for FIFA 22 to see a little more of the capacity of the new hardware. The ultimate team mode does not have a crossgen either, even if you take progress to the new platform, you lose some of the vastness that is the FIFA community on the consoles of the past generation. Sometimes, very rarely, it gets a little harder to find matches. I think that's it, a very welcome upgrade in a general context, but it seems to me that it didn't show even 10% of what consoles can really enjoy in the near future.

John is an EDM cat and that's probably the most realistic/believable thing about this latest marketing video

xrNi82R.jpg

“Lucid Odyssey”

In this short film created by Academy Award-winning director, Taika Waititi, (“Jojo Rabbit,” “Thor Ragnarok,” “Thor: Love and Thunder”), the worlds of art, science, and gaming are merged —bringing the dreams of gamer Krystal Holmes (aka MoonLiteWolf) to life, after she played the Xbox Series X. This epic adventure captures the spirit of the actual research process, the boundless depths of MoonLiteWolf’s detailed and vibrant dreams and then actively challenges our perceptions of one particular Xbox character, as we have known them.

MoonLiteWolf stars in the film as herself with the narration throughout the film coming from the actual audio recorded during the dream study.

Last edited:
Top Bottom