• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox have really knocked it out the park with the Series S imo

Journey

Banned
Anyone that has said TF don't matter or we need to focus on the next important feature in consoles such as boosting the CPU for AI and physics, we need an SSD for its incredible boost in IOPS or even mentioned the term "Diminishing returns" when it comes to boosting the GPU, and then turns around and complains about Series S is a hypocrite!

Everyone is talking about how awesome the CPU boost in PS5/XSX is, and what an amazing difference the SSD will bring to I/O, especially on PS5, but with Series S bringing the same CPU benefits and the I/O benefits of an SSD at $299 is mind boggling, a console that has a GPU that's more capable than Xbox One X, but also has a CPU that blows its socks off and an SSD is pretty crazy to think I was about to buy an Xbox One X a few months ago and now I can get this for hundreds less instead.

I'm really curious to know the price of the Seagate expansion SSDs. The only Achilles heel to Series S is the size of the SSD, 512GB could fill up quickly, but I mean it's pretty decent for a $299 console, but if the expansion 1TB SSD is priced right, it will be a non issue.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I have to agree with the OP. I think MS should focus on the series S and market the X as a premium device. Sony will have nothing to contend against this because I don't see how either of the PS5's can be 299.99. 399.99 will be a miracle for the discless version.

I am really impressed, but now it comes down to the games. Lots of talk but we have to see RT and 1440P running.

Next MS should package in a 3 or 6 months of Game Pass. 299+ 100 games day 1 when you buy the system, gonna be a pretty good deal if you don't care about pushing res to the max.

Moses85

I have to agree with the OP. I think MS should focus on the series S and market the X as a premium device. Sony will have nothing to contend against this because I don't see how either of the PS5's can be 299.99. 399.99 will be a miracle for the discless version.

I am really impressed, but now it comes down to the games. Lots of talk but we have to see RT and 1440P running.

Next MS should package in a 3 or 6 months of Game Pass. 299+ 100 games day 1 when you buy the system, gonna be a pretty good deal if you don't care about pushing res to the max.

It seems, you are easy to impress.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I think when it comes to online gaming and GamePass games it could be attractive for those who mainly plays 3rd party games. Will see, but I sense some logic in this product, it's not OG XB1, that's for sure.

However that "leak" announcement was super weird.
But you think for gamers theyd prob pick up the ps5 because sony has clesrly stated intent to get tons of sony exclusive content and playstation advantage stuff. If the digital ps5 is 50-100 more I have a feeling people will eat the difference for exclusive content

MastaKiiLA

Going from a Jaguar CPU to a AMD Zen 2, HDD to NVME SSD and Radeon GCN to RDNA 2 GPU. This is far from just "repacking" the One X into a Series S, the jump is significant in hardware, before getting into the software advancements.

You are downplaying generational upgrades as if you're upgrading your phone from one year to another, which this is nothing like it.
That's fair. I admit I'm uncertain of how the casual community views the industry these days. Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Cyberpunk 2077 with a next gen upgrade
Next Gen upgrade Sports games
Next gen ubisoft ports
Control UE
And maybe COD BO CW if you want that

That's it lmao
So games I can already get on ps5
200.gif

MarkMe2525

I agree that they knocked it out of the park. What I'm about to say is not a knock against MS or Xbox just something the price may allow me to do. I usually main Xbox, I probably still will, but this might allow me to pick up both a Xbox and ps5 at launch. I would usually pick up a Sony console later but maybe I just wait until the series x drops in price down the road and upgrade my S to X in a few years.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
But you think for gamers theyd prob pick up the ps5 because sony has clesrly stated intent to get tons of sony exclusive content and playstation advantage stuff. If the digital ps5 is 50-100 more I have a feeling people will eat the difference for exclusive content
I think that they would eat too much cost if it would 399USD, I agree with you that paying just 150USD more (speculating price of PS5 DE) is better deal, however hard to say how it's going to be in current climate with lockdowns and shit. Will see.

However I think that the design of the console is horrendous, so I am not sure how they want to market it. Even that mockup with "X" on that black grill looks way better. I think that this matters for the people who came across this on the internet/malls, etc. Which I think is precisely that group which this device is targeted at.

For an ERP of £250/$299, The Xbox Series S offers a really great deal for people planning to upgrade this year.

Make what you will of the rumoured 4TFs it holds, but the Series S if the full leaked video is anything to go by, offers support for 120FPS at 1440p, 4K upscaling for games, 4K media playback, support for DirectX raytracing, and a custom NVME 512GB SSD.

That is a great deal for £250, they're obviously planning to make up losses with this by it being discless, but this means for many people, Next Gen is not so unaffordable on launch, I mean this will retail for the same price as you can get a PS4 Slim on Argos on it's own atm, so it to me anyway, screams of great pricing.

Now obviously Sony will have to respond, they love to undercut/rival competitors price wise so I can see them retailing the PS5 Digital Edition for around £300 which would offer them a bit more leeway with customers, as despite how beloved Sony are and the vast majority of people want to get a PS5 over an Xbox Series X, this Series S will appeal to almost every casual buyer and parent as the affordable way to entertain for many years to come.

Me personally? I will be getting this and a PS5 as this means I can experience Gamepass and all it has to offer for a very affordable price, whilst still getting my preferred choice down the line in the PS5 (when HZD II comes out will be when I pounce).

Series-S.png

tenor.gif

And for the 100th time you still have to pay 15 a month before you commit to buying and AAA games are not on Gamepass such as AC, FIFA and all the big hitters. So it's a subscription on top of other purchases for me.
Then don't buy gamepass. You are a special one. Are you on drugs. ?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
It‘ll be interesting to see Sony’s response. I would want to make it to $400 or $450 with at least one model, in response to this. Really positioning themselves close to the XSS, and under the XSX seems like the play.

‘Hey, we’re only about $100 bucks more for a high-end system, and cheaper than the other top-of-the-line one’ seems like a really good message.

I don’t know if they can make it there, however.
Sony really needs to answer with a $400 "true next-gen" console. I said "true next-gen" because that is how they need to market it.

cryptoadam

Banned
It seems, you are easy to impress.

TBH I am.

I don't have a 4K TV, or a 5.1 sound system. I buy 2 or 3 games a year if that. I am pretty much the definition of a casual gamer. Price matters a lot more to me then pushing pixels. FFS my TV is an Insignia TV (Best buy brand) so ya I am not one of those I need the latest and greatest in visual entertainment.

299.99 + GamePass impresses me. Been a Sony guy since PS2. Bought PS4 at launch and its still going strong. But IF I go next gen its most likely going to be MS because of GP, and now with the S its pretty much sealed. I was not going to spend 499-599 for a system.

Anyways I am more interested in xCloud and will hold off on buying anything till price drops but would rather just get xCloud for a few months game a bit then cancel and repeat the process anytime I get a gaming itch.

Business

It‘s quite amazing seeing people calling hardware “a 1440p console” on an enthusiast forum. Get a clue.

Last edited:

CobraAB

do you know how that 4 tf compares to a xbox series x? ... me neither.. TF do not scale the same across different architectures I mean the new marvel games runs very well on the xbox x and this is more powerful than that.

i do not believe an RTX 2070 Super does that well with RTX turned on.

Maybe it is slower that the 4 TFlop Series S?

Tomeru

Are there 4tf gpus on pc that can run current gen games at high settings (or higher) at 1440p and 120 fps?

UnNamed

Banned
During PS4 launch in 2013, I caught a very good deal: 299 euro instead of 399 euro, at launch. I hope there will be similar deals for XSS, 249€ would be good, 199€ great. It's not impossibile since XBOX have much more discounts than PS consoles.

Nameless

It'll do gang busters with those still using a One S as their primary driver looking to stay in the Xbox ecosystem, but I don't see it 'moving the needle' much beyond that.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I think that they would eat too much cost if it would 399USD, I agree with you that paying just 150USD more (speculating price of PS5 DE) is better deal, however hard to say how it's going to be in current climate with lockdowns and shit. Will see.

However I think that the design of the console is horrendous, so I am not sure how they want to market it. Even that mockup with "X" on that black grill looks way better. I think that this matters for the people who came across this on the internet/malls, etc. Which I think is precisely that group which this device is targeted at.
If their digital is 399 then they make all profits from games sold on their stores also we all know the most money made is third party licensing deals, now we already know sony sold more software this gen than nintendo and ms combined. i could see them eating the 100
Bucks because they will make it back on software sold on their digital store

M1chl

If their digital is 399 then they make all profits from games sold on their stores also we all know the most money made is third party licensing deals, now we already know sony sold more software this gen than nintendo and ms combined. i could see them eating the 100
Bucks because they will make it back on software sold on their digital store
I totally see that logic behind it and we know that this sort of thing is going to work, however Sony might feel that it's brand is so strong that it does not matter which price they going to slap on it. However if they are going for the kill they have definitely chance.

"Kill" is strong word, but I hope you know what I mean : )

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I totally see that logic behind it and we know that this sort of thing is going to work, however Sony might feel that it's brand is so strong that it does not matter which price they going to slap on it. However if they are going for the kill they have definitely chance.

"Kill" is strong word, but I hope you know what I mean : )
Haha totally, it would be a huge advantage for them to make it 399 because for just 100 more youll have that exclusive launch first party game, playstation advantage content, and a stronger system than the S for just 100 bucks more. I could see people going digital just to get those advantages

nemiroff

Gold Member
Quite frankly, with Microsoft’s current focus being on GamePass and cross-gen games, as they develop games across a variety of platforms and services...

This is a better box for that, than the Series X. At least right now. It’s no small wonder it’s had a better showing, because it’s actually in sync with Microsoft’s current goals.

That will change once the Series X gets a chance to strut it’s stuff.

You know what, that's such a great point, I think you are absolutely right.

M1chl

Haha totally, it would be a huge advantage for them to make it 399 because for just 100 more youll have that exclusive launch first party game, playstation advantage content, and a stronger system than the S for just 100 bucks more. I could see people going digital just to get those advantages
Well even if they are opt for XSS, they are going for that digital future anyway. So it's just mainly what parents going to buy for their kids and how much PS players want that sweet games pass "fodder"... I honestly don't think is that bad of the deal. I can see this being "second console" maybe somewhere on weekend house, etc. I think it's going to sell regardless of what PS5 does. Especially if those rumours about XBL Gold are true. Because if they would drop it, it would be ideal machine for those CoD players, who does not care about anything else and I think that type of market is still pretty huge.

However I am no analyst, so I don't know. But at least we have some exciting news for start of this gen. In previous situation, it was glaringly obvious which console is going to sell more... Especially with that "Tier system", for me that was even bigger bullshit than the price...

Journey

Banned
It's kind of funny to see all these concerned posts over a 512GB SSD on a cheap $299 console with expansion SSDs available day one, when no one seemed to be concerned over an 825GB SSD with no option to expand at launch and possibly very expensive alternatives later.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
i'm not a tech guru or anything, but that's just saying the RTX 3070 is holding Back the RTX 3090.

And yet the people on this forum that bash ms for having 2 console models praised sony for the ps4 pro and have zero answer when pc gaming is brought up.

Flintty

I’m thinking I might pick one up as my second console. XSX for the 4K tv 60fps and XSS for my gaming PC desk 1080p (up to) 120fps. It’s a great little box.

soulbait

The more I think about the pricing and specs, the more I think MS is diverging even further away from what Sony is planning and focusing on.

I’m surprised there isn’t a big marketing push for All Access. I think that’s what they’re planning, in-line with their current strategy to push subs. The XSS is for the more price conscious consumer, whereas the XSX is for the hardcore....except when you pitch it via All Access. For a difference of £10 a month you get an XSX. That’s a lot more approachable. People buy £1000 phones without blinking, because they’re just thinking about the monthly cost. Cars are the same, and you don’t even own the thing at the end unless you cough up a big balloon payment. What do people do when they can’t get credit? Buy something affordable/cheaper outright.

MS should lean into the All Access model hard next gen, because I think alongside GamePass it differentiates them in a way that leaves actual hardware sales somewhat irrelevant.

The console wars of old are long gone now. They just don’t exist anymore. Sony will sell through more consoles, but that almost feels like a one horse race because the other two aren’t even looking at the same finish line.

I don’t think we’ll be getting generations like we have for much longer. If you go all out on a subscription/pay monthly model, you just upgrade as and when you can, instead of waiting for X amount of time to take a big leap forward.

They have not announced the XSX pricing or the official release date yet. I imagine you will start hearing more about All Access once those are revealed.

LOL, I knew GAF was full of Sony boys, but the salt here is hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah I don’t have a preference personally - but the downplaying of this is reaaaaaaally dumb. Def gonna buy this at launch now. Then maybe I’ll pick up a PS5 when it has something groundbreakingly cool that I want come out. My TV isn’t 4k and idgaf about frame rate so this seems like a perfect little console for me.

Journey

Banned
512 GB for all digital console is terrible.
Youll install 4 bigger game and its full :messenger_neutral:

*Microsoft:
Here's a $299 console with 512GB NVMe SSD with an option to expand using Seagate 1TB SSDs with the same speed.

OMG OMG 512GB is not enough, what are we to do, whaaa!, 512GB is the pits, I'll run out of space in no time, this is God awful, heaven help us all!!!

WHA!

*Sony:
Here's a $499 console with 825GB SSD with no expansion option at launch, with only the option to upgrade to high end expensive SSD options in the future.

I'm ok with this. 🤡

Mexen

I want a PS5 with disc because I still have a nice PS4 collection of games. But I want this too because that price range is very appealing and I can see myself playing a few xbox exclusives, finally.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
There is nothing impressive about it honestly. I doubt MS even losses any money on it, if the spec leaks are correct.
The $299 price point is also not some kind of instant success some seem to believe. The Xbone reached that level of price or even lower like within the first year in fire sales.

More people will buy this than the series X, so developers will prioritize S.
If I was someone who was excited for buying Series X, I wouldn’t be celebrating.
The PS5 will sell the most and be the primary system that devs will target so that will put xbox in a even more awkward position .

Last edited:

J____Av

I’d be wary of calling the generation. Sony has incredible consumer goodwill, and from Day 1, a next-gen looking game, with plenty more well on the way. That will go a long way towards convincing fans to part with their money.

It’s more like Microsoft just executed a move so deftly, we can begin to take them seriously as a competitor again. This is a really, really solid strategy.

Lets not kid ourselves. Next gen will be a bigger gap than this gen with PS5 dominating

Dr Bass

I’d be wary of calling the generation. Sony has incredible consumer goodwill, and from Day 1, a next-gen looking game, with plenty more well on the way. That will go a long way towards convincing fans to part with their money.

It’s more like Microsoft just executed a move so deftly, we can begin to take them seriously as a competitor again. This is a really, really solid strategy.

How on Earth does this differ from the current Xbox One S and Xbox One X strategy that we've had for years?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Right on the money there, this makes the Series X seem unimportant now aside from those who want the AAA graphical experience and discs.
The Series X unimportant, how exactly? There are still gamers who want an optimal experience. Hardcore gamers. Series X can snuggle right up against PC, PS5, Switch or the Series X, comfortably.

Top Bottom