• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox have really knocked it out the park with the Series S imo

MastaKiiLA

Young people only play on mobile? Tell that to my young nephews. The only reason why kids are playing more on mobile than consoles is because parents cannot afford to buy their kids both a phone and a new console. Pricing the XSS at this range opens up the opportunity more for parents to be able to afford next gen for their younger kids.
Don't underestimate how much media is consumed through phones. I have a 55" 4k TV, and my gf still watches most videos on her phone. She's not a kid, but I think it just reinforces the fact that mobile phones are the entertainment nexus for generations to come. The idea of sitting on a couch to watch or play something is going to feel absurd to many of the younger gens.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think if you don't notice a difference on that TV then either Series X is garbage, or your eyes are.

Ummmm, technically even with 20/20 vision he is just at the outside edge of 4k having any benefit on a 55" tv at 6ft.

soulbait

don't change part of the messaging is play 4 generations of xbox games
you could argue they will probably sell them all digitally but it really isn't the same imo but it's probably also because
tenor.gif

I am not changing anything. You would still be able to play older games, you would just need to have purchased the games digitally. In your opinion it is not the same, but your opinion is not fact: you can play games from all previous generations. When you play a BC game now it is not playing off the disc anyways, it downloads a digital version of it.

So no, I am not trying to change any messaging (why would I, I am not in the marketing department for Xbox?) and my point remains: not having a BD player is not a big deal to most people nowadays. It is a big a deal to me. I have a very large collection of Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray movies. I still buy physical games from time to time, but out of my circle of friends, I am the only one that does this.

tryDEATH

I hope no one takes this as a troll, as I'm too old for console warring, and already made a post in another thread noting that I found the price and design intriguing. However, in that post I also noted that I would be more impressed if this provided a significant improvement over the XB1X. Prior to the official video, I was uncertain of where it would land performance-wise. Now that we know certain things they say it can do, doesn't this appear more like a replacement for the XB1X, which will end up being delisted in the not-so-distant future? The emphasis on cross-gen seems to place the XSS as the ideal replacement for that system. They all play the same games, and with 1440p as the target resolution, this feels like it'll fall into that same performance tier, with support for some additional features.

Much is still yet to be revealed about the components, but I'm not currently convinced that this represents anything more than repackaging the mid-gen step of XB1X as a next-gen console, in order to attract those gamers who would not have wanted an XB1X, when juxtaposed with an XSX at the high-end. But repackaging that tier of system as a new product, with the newer branding, gives them a second crack at it. Is this too cynical a view of things?

For me, the next-gen is still PS5 and XSS, and full-disclosure, I'm only getting a PS5. I have nothing against MS, at all, and find the console wars to be idiotic. I think the design and price of the XSS are good, and their Game Pass strategy is also quite interesting. However, I don't know how casuals will interpret the XSS in the market, given how mobile phones have softened higher pricepoints for technology, and how we have yet to see what the visual difference will be between XSS and XSX games. I look forward to seeing more.

Going from a Jaguar CPU to a AMD Zen 2, HDD to NVME SSD and Radeon GCN to RDNA 2 GPU. This is far from just "repacking" the One X into a Series S, the jump is significant in hardware, before getting into the software advancements.

You are downplaying generational upgrades as if you're upgrading your phone from one year to another, which this is nothing like it.

Last edited:

scydrex

The CPU and SSD is a HUGE upgrade to the one x jaguar cpu and HDD. As for GPU its worse yes. But then it isnt targeting 4k like the one x did. I think you’ll be pleasantly.

Sure comparing the Xbox One X vs RDNA2 is worse... yeah right.

Yes, indeed, welcome to 2010 again if you are still using disks, its 2020 now, its time to move on. As far as the hardware goes, for $299, its a home run. Still thinking people should actually consider its real world performance before deciding its underpowered. Its targeted at xbox one and base ps4 owners, and it mops the floor with those machines.

Sorry 60% the price of the Series X for 32% of the power, 50% SSD space, no disc and not confirmed how much but less RAM and what else? Still using Zen 2 but don't the GHZ. Is not a home run.

Last edited:
512 GB SSD? Interesting; I thought if anything it'd be larger.

Wonder if PS5 Digital Edition's SSD size could be cut down to scale back on losses they might take selling it at whatever price it ends up at. Could more easily justify $399 for that version.

Anyway, this is really good pricing on MS's price and one thing to keep in mind is that these prices are "estimated". So while they're probably 90% a lock, there's a 10% chance one or both could probably change pricing a tad. And if they were to do so, it'd be a bit lower.

A $249 Series S for example, if MS really wanted big saturation with the system, could be doable. They'd be losing a bit more per unit sold (I'm thinking Series S's BOM is probably around $350 anyway), but it'd make it even more attractive for the intended market. Also, $249 isn't really that odd a price: Nintendo did it with the Wii back in 2006, after all.

Wait what, all digital but only 512 GByte SSD?

What will remain after reserving space for OS/UI? About 400GB or even less?

Xbox One reserves 138GB for OS

XBO was bloated on several fronts including reserved SSD space for the OS. This number should be a lot lower next-gen, part of the reason being no need for file duplicates from using platter drives.

We won't know how it's going to effect game development until it's been out lomg enough to be passed crossgen titles.

I know the XSS's defenders keep saying games will just be identical, but at a lower resolution, but this is seriously underpowered. I just cannot see how this isn't going to adversely affect next gen development.

Look at how badly the XO often ran games this gen compared to PS4, or the massive gulf in quality is between games on Switch compared to everything else. Yet those power gaps are nothing compared to how far behind the PS5 and XSX this thing will be, and we're seriously meant to believe that won't adversly effect things?

This isn't a bargain in my mind, or MS being noble, customer friendly geniuses, this is pure greed exploiting the poor, ignorant and budget conscious to make a fast buck any way possible, and not giving a damn about what's actually best for the wider gaming industry and games themselves as a medium.

Not a good take at all, amigo. It's a somewhat elitist mindset, not much different from the "PC Master Race" types, and all you're really advocating for is withholding a hobby from people who have less money. If the industry felt that way, things like arcades wouldn't of existed. Arcades, btw, actually helped drive a LOT of innovation and were and still remain the blueprint for design templates in gaming still used today so...this idea that providing a cheaper option will hold back innovation in the industry doesn't make any sense.

Anyone who knows better would know that most companies are more risk-adverse when the number of players in an ecosystem is smaller, because riskier stuff...risks not having enough mass appeal to hit a large percentage of that smaller base in the ecosystem. That ends up democratizing game developers to take more risks because at that point, they know they have a higher probability of hitting a bigger net of players in that ecosystem to make a solid ROI on that title.

Also from what I can tell, the most innovative games for the past few years (or really, for the past few decades) haven't been the graphical powerhouses; it's been smaller games that still look good but don't set industrial trends in top-end graphics. Some of the biggest breakout hits have been stuff like Fall Guys, Fortnite and Among Us, Minecraft etc...none of those games are necessarily graphical benchmarks. Meanwhile a game like TLOU2 might have excellent visuals, but in terms of the actual game design it's rather banal and breaks absolutely no new ground nor is particularly innovative in that department.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Instead of taking on the competition head on, maybe their strategy now is "so you have a PS5, but why not also own an xbox series s too? And while youre at it, gamepass too?"

Nodnol

The more I think about the pricing and specs, the more I think MS is diverging even further away from what Sony is planning and focusing on.

I’m surprised there isn’t a big marketing push for All Access. I think that’s what they’re planning, in-line with their current strategy to push subs. The XSS is for the more price conscious consumer, whereas the XSX is for the hardcore....except when you pitch it via All Access. For a difference of £10 a month you get an XSX. That’s a lot more approachable. People buy £1000 phones without blinking, because they’re just thinking about the monthly cost. Cars are the same, and you don’t even own the thing at the end unless you cough up a big balloon payment. What do people do when they can’t get credit? Buy something affordable/cheaper outright.

MS should lean into the All Access model hard next gen, because I think alongside GamePass it differentiates them in a way that leaves actual hardware sales somewhat irrelevant.

The console wars of old are long gone now. They just don’t exist anymore. Sony will sell through more consoles, but that almost feels like a one horse race because the other two aren’t even looking at the same finish line.

I don’t think we’ll be getting generations like we have for much longer. If you go all out on a subscription/pay monthly model, you just upgrade as and when you can, instead of waiting for X amount of time to take a big leap forward.

THE DUCK

Sure comparing the Xbox One X vs RDNA2 is worse... yeah right.

Sorry 60% the price of the Series X for 32% of the power, half SSD space or 512gb less, no disc is not a home run.

If the end result on the ground is a next gen experience that makes a large group of buyers happy to save $200, it is a home run. And its not likely 32% performance to the human eye, its more likely 80%. For those at 10ft away from a 1080p or 4k tv (which is a very large group) , its likely closer to 100% of the performance.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

For the price tag it's specs ain't something great, but getting a device that plays the next gen games for 299$ certainly is a great deal.
I wonder if Sony will sell cheaper due to this, that would be great.

FeiRR

Banned
I think it's the first console in history which you can preorder before any game footage has been published. What other low can they hit?

longdi

Banned
I have to agree with TS
MS has done everything they could have done as a competitor.
GAF are core gamers who do not understand the potential of Series S.

I wont be surprised if S outsold X and also PS5.
S feels like the Wii, the PS2 Slim, it feels so welcoming when you look at it and its price tag.

Last edited:

Dolomite

For the price tag it's specs ain't something great, but getting a device that plays the next gen games for 299$ certainly is a great deal.
I wonder if Sony will sell cheaper due to this, that would be great.
The sum of those specs are a steal for $299 and you know it😂😂😂 let's not pretend that you can grab an NVME, GPU equivalent, CPU equivalent, GDDR6, for under $300. That not including the software, or XVA😂 stop it, it's coming off as sad

Last edited:
Anyone willing to spend $300 on a third of the gpu, less than half the disk space (roughly 400gb for games), and no bluray, I've got some beach front property in New Mexico you might be interested in.

Ascend

512GB, 4TFLOP, 10GB RAM for 300€? Not even a disc drive for the "most compatible console ever" (don't even think about playing your old OG XBOX, 360 or One discs. Such a scam.

Welcome to 2010 again.
I guess people that never owned an Xbox before and might want to jump in now, don't exist.

SoraNoKuni

The sum of those specs and a steal for $299 and you know it😂😂😂 let's not pretend that you can grab an NVME, GPU equivalent, CPU equivalent, GDDR6, for under $300. That not including the software, or XVA😂 stop it, it's coming off as sad
It certainly has next gen technology, the reality is it's a 4TF console though, maybe they can compensate with their ML upscaling.
It certainly has a crowd to sell to, but let's see how it will turn out.

I didn't even criticize it, being honest here and I respect what MS is doing, making next gen more accessible for more people is a way more honest and ethically good reason to support them than to close my eyes and be a Sony fanboy.

But seeing how you got so aggressive when I didn't even tell something bad for the console pretty much comes in line with the recent study about which platform has the most toxic users.
Thanks for validating.

nosseman

People will read and hear about the next Xbox coming and how its $299. MS just put a huge stick in Sonys wheel.

Sony will have to get a deep haircut with their disc less version of PS5 if they do not want to be perceived as more expensive - even if PS5 (with disc reader) and Xbox Series X is the same price.

I bet Sony is scratching their head right now.

Drewpee

Banned
The sum of those specs are a steal for $299 and you know it😂😂😂 let's not pretend that you can grab an NVME, GPU equivalent, CPU equivalent, GDDR6, for under $300. That not including the software, or XVA😂 stop it, it's coming off as sad

Most people on gaf are completely ignorant to what the specs mean (I am one of those ignorant people 😄) but some can never pass an opportunity to shit on anything Xbox related.

I try to add this to every Xbox thread but please keep in mind Neogaf is EXTREMELY pro Sony, to the point that the site has become almost anti anything else.

THE DUCK

Anyone willing to spend $300 on a third of the gpu, less than half the disk space (roughly 400gb for games), and no bluray, I've got some beach front property in New Mexico you might be interested in.

Again, smaller game size, 10ft from 4k tv, mitigates these issues into potentially nothing for many prospective buyers.

Dolomite

It certainly has next gen technology, the reality is it's a 4TF console though, maybe they can compensate with their ML upscaling.
It certainly has a crowd to sell to, but let's see how it will turn out.

I didn't even criticize it, being honest here and I respect what MS is doing, making next gen more accessible for more people is a way more honest and ethically good reason to support them than to close my eyes and be a Sony fanboy.

But seeing how you got so aggressive when I didn't even tell something bad for the console pretty much comes in line with the recent study about which platform has the most toxic users.
Thanks for validating.
Ahh TF matter again

only 1 console of the 4 skus launching from MS and Sony will be hitting 4K native/60fps, it's safe to say everyone will be leaning on ML this gen to keep up (more impressive in some instances)
Dude it's a budget console, it's damn near the price of the 2005 Nintendo Wii with a more powerful CPU than the ps5. I know your not shitting on it but For $299 you've gotta do some mental gymnastics to criticize what it offers.

Also how can you objectively conduct a study of a polarized community that you are a part of. How would one remain impartial in research?

teezzy

Banned
Don't underestimate how much media is consumed through phones. I have a 55" 4k TV, and my gf still watches most videos on her phone. She's not a kid, but I think it just reinforces the fact that mobile phones are the entertainment nexus for generations to come. The idea of sitting on a couch to watch or play something is going to feel absurd to many of the younger gens.

It's the golden rule of technology which people always seem to forget: convenience trumps all.

Anyone who explores other options is considered an enthusiast.

There's a good portion of people who will just buy it for sports games and basic big shooters. They don't even have 4k TVs so they dont care. This is a decent portion of the market. If enough people get it, people generally buy a console based on what their friends have if they want to play online

if ur now 12-14 years old, u get the series S this x-mas and in 4 years u upgrade to a series x/x2. meanwhile u subscribed to gamepass since day one. say what u want but this is how u bind young costumer.

cormack12

Gold Member
The thing is, a lot of people have been running at 1080p on the PS4 for TLOU and it still looks great. The Pro upscales from 1440p so it's not like we're going backwards. If you can tolerate what we have now then resolution shouldn't really be an issue going forward. CBR and dynamic res will also help. Odyssey only ran at 1240-1580 on Pro as well. And people are one minute saing 4k is less important than dyanic res and frame rate. Just have to wait and see until we get the first comparisons. I'm astonished no outlets have retail units yet 8 weeks out from release. Certainly the bigger houses like DF anyway.

Eh, I still don't like it. Sure, people can get in at $300, but the differences in quality between Series S and Series X gameplay are going to be huge. MS are dividing up their player base and people will have different experiences playing the games. I think S Adopters will have buyers remorse as soon as they see games running on the X. You will have performance issues and the graphical quality isn't going to be there. It feels like a half-step and I kinda feel bad for people picking it up. Yeah, its cheaper, but it will be technically obsolete in a year or two. Consoles already have the handicap of being chained to the tech of the year they're released. Now, you will have a large segment of your player base stuck with tech that launched below the real next gen target..? It seems like it could easily backfire if consumers start noticing their friends games look significantly better.

Whereas Sony won't have that issue as the only difference is a disc drive.

Neo_game

It is not worthy of so called next gen console at all. Also 1440P and 120fps advertising is very misleading. I cannot see any gfx intensive game coming anywhere close to it.

SoraNoKuni

Ahh TF matter again

only 1 console of the 4 skus launching from MS and Sony will be hitting 4K native/60fps, it's safe to say everyone will be leaning on ML this gen to keep up (more impressive in some instances)
Dude it's a budget console, it's damn near the price of the 2005 Nintendo Wii with a more powerful CPU than the ps5. I know your not shitting on it but For $299 you've gotta do some mental gymnastics to criticize what it offers.

Also how can you objectively conduct a study of a polarized community that you are a part of. How would one remain impartial in research?
You are correct about the research, I got carried away. Tough day.

It's a nice deal and we both agree on that, I was just stating that while the price is sweet it's not like the sell it at a huge loss, AMD has made it possible to sell machines at that cost with their latest CPUs/GPUs, the price is reasonal.

2 companies being competitive especially on pricing is great for gamers, I just wonder how sony will price their consoles.

Calverz

Most people on gaf are completely ignorant to what the specs mean (I am one of those ignorant people 😄) but some can never pass an opportunity to shit on anything Xbox related.

I try to add this to every Xbox thread but please keep in mind Neogaf is EXTREMELY pro Sony, to the point that the site has become almost anti anything else.
You think its bad here? Go and spend a day on era......

Alebrije

Its a great console if you do not have money or own a base xbox and want to upgrade. Series S will sell lot at that price.

DESTROYA

If it had a disc drive I would seriously consider buying one but I’m not a all digital type of console guy so 🤷‍♂️
Wanted to have a nice little system to replay some older Xbox games and Gamepass.

makaveli60

No, they are botching nextgen again with making a weak ass console which will be the baseline for nextgen. Fuck them. That's why I wouldn't mind third party games becoming PS5 exclusives.

Top Bottom