• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox have really knocked it out the park with the Series S imo

Shaukdotdj

I honestly wonder how many of the Xbox fan boys would be praising this things "genius" if it existed in a vacuum where series x wasn't revealed first.

This this is sorely lacking anything that defines it as a generational leap. 4TF?

Everyone keeps preaching these borderline platform agnostic services like game pass as of it justifies it's existence.
The controller remains pretty much unchanged, the hardware is only marginally more powerful than their current top end console, so why not just play games pass games on your current hardware since it's likely that most "Next Gen" games will be available thru that as well?

I guess I'm so clearly not the target demographic for this.

John254

Banned
If PS5 swoops in and makes the PS5 Digital version $299 USD now the cat is out the bag.. Even if it was $349 USD.. How would Series S be then?
I can for sure tell you they won't do it. Not unless they are willing to loose 200-300$ on every PS5 DE sold...
...soooo, nope :D

DonJorginho

Banned
Sony will lower the price of PS4 and the Pro models. They will probably release cheaper shrunk down models of both.
The PS5 DE will never be £300. Your dreaming if you think that will happen. Cheapest I can see PS5 DE being is £399.
I can see PS5 DE being £350-400 for sure, but I just think if they really want to compete in marketspace in this current COVID climate, they will want to maybe reduce the cost by a more significant margin than £400 to allow the DE to sell more.

DonJorginho

Banned
I honestly wonder how many of the Xbox fan boys would be praising this things "genius" if it existed in a vacuum where series x wasn't revealed first.

This this is sorely lacking anything that defines it as a generational leap. 4TF?

Everyone keeps preaching these borderline platform agnostic services like game pass as of it justifies it's existence.
The controller remains pretty much unchanged, the hardware is only marginally more powerful than their current top end console, so why not just play games pass games on your current hardware since it's likely that most "Next Gen" games will be available thru that as well?

I guess I'm so clearly not the target demographic for this.
TFs are very finnicky ways of measuring power, for example the Xbox One X is around 6TFs, but thanks to the RDNA 2 architecture and use of a NVME SSD inside the XBSX, it makes it a much more powerful console.

the amount of people trying to defend this thing is astonishing.

kcrOeZ6.png

DonJorginho

Banned
The Series X unimportant, how exactly? There are still gamers who want an optimal experience. Hardcore gamers. Series X can snuggle right up against PC, PS5, Switch or the Series X, comfortably.
I just think most hardcore gamers already have a PC or are looking to buy one, especially with the new RTX 3000 series from Nvidia, so there is no point to have a XSX unless you want a console in the living room and a PC in the personal office for example.

If you have a Switch, XB1 or PS4 only and want a powerful second console or one to replace it for sure the XSX is a very powerful proposition, but I just see the casual marketspace lapping up the Xbox Series S in droves.

For example I have a group of so called hardcore gamers on Twitter, but due to the current COVID climate affecting finances, they have decided to get an Xbox Series S instead of the X at launch.

This doesn't apply for everyone, but it is safe to say the Series S does steal a bit of the Xs thunder, just how much of that thunder? We are yet to find out.

It was a smart move, I give them that. It will sell a lot of units and move some people to the Xbox ecosystem.

Im not a fan of either MS or the Xbox (like the OG Xbox though) but Im all for low cost entry barriers for next gen.

We poor people/poor countries exist too, and many times we love and need videogames more than most to escape our circunstances.

Very consumer friendly but hate what it means in terms of the bigger picture. Devs will have to create with this thing in mind and it will absolutely hold some games back. Not that it matters though but the design is just odd. This console next generation in general has very odd aesthetic choices.

My plan all along has been to get one of each X and S at launch. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the 512gb NVME in the S. It's far too little for a primary machine these days. But, since I'll be using it as a backup in the master bedroom I don't think the storage will be an issue as I'll only have a handful of games on it and play most everything on the X in the living room.

And the $299 price seals the deal.

4K upscaling for games? What a bulletpoint....Sounds just like the Greenberg tweet that spoke about 1080p output, just adjusted for next gen...

Raytracing, 1440p, up to 120fps, Good luck with that. Even 4K BC will be far and few between........ Minus BC, remember we are talking about next gen games here with next gen ambition and graphical upgrades....If this console does not want to fall behind on framerate, 1080p will be the most consistent resolution you will get there. Of course indies can hit 1440p and 4K...

The amount of salt contained in just this one post is impressive. 🤦‍♂️😅

Invalid GR

You still have your 360 games? On disc? Man I must be in another world than most in this forum comparatively.
How would you describe a backwards compatible system?
In my mind it means I can play my old games that most of them are bought on a disc and not just be able to buy them again online.

In my mind it means I can play my old games that most of them are bought on a disc and not just be able to buy them again online.
To be fair the Xbox one doesn't play anything directly from the disk. It just uses the disk as a license check, then downloads the digital version.

Invalid GR

To be fair the Xbox one doesn't play anything directly from the disk. It just uses the disk as a license check, then downloads the digital version.
I am all for that. The question is how will the XSS and for that matter any digital only console license check a game that has been brought in retail.

How is the S terrible value at almost half the price of the X? $299 is a "premium" now is it? How poor are you?

Yes, when you compare what you are getting for $300 vs what you are getting for $500, you are paying a premium. Nevermind the astronomical leap in logic it takes to infer my financial status from a comment comparing the price of two items within the same product family. I'm planning to buy both an XSX and a PS5 at launch, for what it's worth. I can't even justify paying $300 for an XSS for the family TV as a secondary, for a 1080p TV at that. By the time I add additional storage, it's not worth it. I'll be buying a second XSX.

My post is commentary on the S being a terrible value compared to the X. You pretty much avoided that topic entirely in your response, so why even quote me?
You made it sound like an insane proposition to buy this thing when it's what a good amount of people would have wanted. It fills the needs for a lot of people who don't want to spend a lot on the console or can't afford it or guys who just play sports games or 1 or 2 shooters.

FeiRR

Banned
A cut down GPU does not affect only the resolution. Load of horse shit.
If it were enough, platform holders wouldn't need to spend billions of dollars on developing faster GPUs and architectures. It'd be enough to use upscaling, SFS, DLSS and other techniques while keeping the GPU at, say 4 TF. Simply speaking: if there was no difference, XSX wouldn't exist. Just simple logic.

If it were enough, platform holders wouldn't need to spend billions of dollars on developing faster GPUs and architectures. It'd be enough to use upscaling, SFS, DLSS and other techniques while keeping the GPU at, say 4 TF. Simply speaking: if there was no difference, XSX wouldn't exist. Just simple logic.
My impression after watching their presentations is, that a lot of that "firepower" just went into that shitty 4k resolution. The improvements we have seen are due to RDNA2, RTX and faster loading times due to the SSDs employed (all of which the Series S has as well). And that's it.

Neither the PS5 nor the Series X wowed me with visuals that could not have been done on current gen machines with 1080p resolutions.

But like I said, we will see.
Looking forward to the comparisons in November.

FeiRR

Banned
My impression after watching their presentations is, that a lot of that "firepower" just went into that shitty 4k resolution. The improvements we have seen are due to RDNA2, RTX and faster loading times due to the SSDs employed (all of which the Series S has as well). And that's it.

Neither the PS5 nor the Series X wowed me with visuals that could not have been done on current gen machines with 1080p resolutions.

But like I said, we will see.
Looking forward to the comparisons in November.
That was exactly the impression they wanted to achieve with people who don't know much about technology. In reality, a slower GPU is... well, slower. You can't have the same level of visuals because every layer of them needs both compute and bandwidth. You can as well stall a 12 TF GPU with wide bandwidth at 320 x 200 if you keep adding things, it's just a matter of choices.

Microsoft is lying about XSS being "the same just lower res and Hz" and it's very cleartto any technical person. They think they can get away with that by forcing devs to scale down visuals so that both versions will differ only by res/Hz. It's especially sad for XSX owners who'll pay a lot more hoping they'll get a better experience.

A simple example: If you look closely at the Outer Worlds footage, you'll see texture pop-up (mountain side under the sign in the center and objects in the garden of the house on the left), very similar to what could be seen in Halo. And that's a last gen game with very average visuals. Next gen titles will seriously struggle on that console.

FeiRR

Banned
Like I wrote: we will see..
In two months we know a lot more.

Until then, you as a "person who knows much about technology" are just pulling stuff out of your ass like everybody else does.
I gave a real life example and you call me a liar. Whatever helps you stay in your bubble :)

Oh I never use it to begin with but I never like saved my discs or something. I don’t own any generation of console before PS4 at this point. Always thought bc was geared more toward downloading online anyway. I’ve played a few old games that I downloaded for a sec. But tbh BC has never really been my thing so I never thought to save the discs

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
So is everyone who was claiming XSX was such an amazingly powerful machine compared to PS5 willing to defend such an underpowered XSS now?

Talk about Speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

By that logic the PS5 and XSX are basically indistinguishable.
Good question. I think the differences will be neglectable in the end.

So is everyone who was claiming XSX was such an amazingly powerful machine compared to PS5 willing to defend such an underpowered XSS now?

Comparing a 1080p machine (I don't believe that 1440 claim, to be honest) with machines that are supposed to work with 4k native.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Good question. I think the differences will be neglectable in the end.

Comparing a 1080p machine (I don't believe that 1440 claim, to be honest) with machines that are supposed to work with 4k native.
It’s not just a 1080p machine. There is no way the visual difference in games that push the XSX will just be in resolution. That’s marketing rubbish.

Last edited:
My plan all along has been to get one of each X and S at launch. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the 512gb NVME in the S. It's far too little for a primary machine these days. But, since I'll be using it as a backup in the master bedroom I don't think the storage will be an issue as I'll only have a handful of games on it and play most everything on the X in the living room.

And the $299 price seals the deal.
Wait wait wait. You’re going to get both the s and the x? For different rooms within your own house? Why not get an s or an x combined with a ps5 so you can get all the games then?

It’s not just a 1080p machine. There is no way the visual difference in games that push the XSX will just be in resolution. That’s marketing rubbish.
Seems to me its basic capabilities are very similar, with less TFs and RAM being the big difference.

I don't say it will be shit or amazing, I just say I stay neutral for now and am really interested how this concept turns out, and am looking forward seeing the comparisons by DF in two months.

FeiRR

Banned
I don't call you a liar.
And I am not in a bubble, I am just having a different opinion than you have (after coding graphics stuff for 30 years now).
Sorry for you not being able to cope with that.
This forum is full of "devs" who in reality are basement kids. It's a lot of fun, to be honest.

This forum is full of "devs" who in reality are basement kids. It's a lot of fun, to be honest.
This forum is also full of "persons who know much about technology" who are just console warriors who read a bit into some graphics tech for a week and think they know everything now.

Whatever floats your boat, mate.

FeiRR

Banned
This forum is also full of "persons who know much about technology" who are just console warriors who read a bit into some graphics tech for a week and think they know everything now.

Whatever floats your boat, mate.
This surely includes an Infinity Ward dev who wrote exactly the same about XSS but yeah :)

I don't see how Sony can counteract this. We'll see, though.

They'll release a proper next-gen console.

Buying budget at the start of a new generation is not something gamers want to do. The very reason they buy new consoles at the start of a new generation is for the upgrade, since the launch games are usually shite. The very notion that you are cheaping out or compromising is a buzzkill. Maybe not a concern for casuals, but they don't go out and buy consoles on day one.

I am all for that. The question is how will the XSS and for that matter any digital only console license check a game that has been brought in retail.

It won't because it doesn't have a disc drive. You'll have to pay up for the big boy model to play those games off the disc.

Schmick

Well... I'm defending the XBS because of the posts saying that the XBS will hold back the XBX and PS5.

Schmick

Buying budget at the start of a new generation is not something gamers want to do. The very reason they buy new consoles at the start of a new generation is for the upgrade, since the launch games are usually shite. The very notion that you are cheaping out or compromising is a buzzkill. Maybe not a concern for casuals, but they don't go out and buy consoles on day one.
That's because historically launch consoles sell at £450+. Not £250 like the XBS. Plus a lot of games aimed at casuals will be released between launch and Christmas.

Tell that to the Wii.

Redlight

Low price point COD/FIFA/Assassin's Creed box under the tree at Xmas? With 100+ games instantly available with Gamepass?

It's going to appeal to plenty of people.

Top Bottom