• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass now has over 18 million subscribers

BeardGawd

Banned
Terrible numbers. To tell you why

April to September: 5 million

September till today: 3 million

from September till now they had: Disney plus deal fumination deal xcloud launch new console launch Bethesda announcement. Yet April to September had more growth then the holiday season growth.

Don’t get me started on all those deals for the holidays. this is terrible numbers when you have context
So 1 million a month from April to September and 1 Million a month from October to now.

With no exclusives.

Just imagine when MS 1st party starts hitting on all cylinders and Game Pass launches for iOS and Samsung TVs later this year.

Last edited:
TIL that no other company in history has ever announced an unpopular decision designed to make more money, caught shit for that decision, and backtracked on it completely. Only MS has ever done that, ever. Like ever. Ever in history.

It's not like Sony is charging 70 bucks for games now...

Also, why are people carrying on like MS hasn't rescinded the Live price increase? Nothing changed in the end. They listened to their customers. Admitting a mistake and fixing the mistake should count for something, right?
Sony isn't the only one charging $70 for games. Let's also not forget that games have been $100 for some time now technically if you wanted the full amount of content. You can bet that more publishers will be going to $70 later too.

Yes while they did go back on it it's only because they caught so much shit for it and rightfully so. Make no mistake they will find a way to get more money out of people. The gold trick didn't work but they'll come up with something else.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Sony isn't the only one charging $70 for games. Let's also not forget that games have been $100 for some time now technically if you wanted the full amount of content. You can bet that more publishers will be going to $70 later too.

Yes while they did go back on it it's only because they caught so much shit for it and rightfully so. Make no mistake they will find a way to get more money out of people. The gold trick didn't work but they'll come up with something else.

Yep, T2 and Activision did it first and Microsoft hasn't release anything yet. Wait until they come out with their 70$ game too and they will lose their last bullet point againt their Nemesis lol. They keep repeating that 70$ on every thread.

Gamepass price will go up so much by 2023 that's how they'll get their money back. No more GPU conversion trick.

People asking about profit are a) desperate and b) missing the point.

Just imagine how big these already massive numbers will be when the investments start to pay off? Buckle up fanboys of both sides, it’s going to be a wild ride over the next few years.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Terrible numbers. To tell you why

April to September: 5 million

September till today: 3 million

from September till now they had: Disney plus deal fumination deal xcloud launch new console launch Bethesda announcement. Yet April to September had more growth then the holiday season growth.

Don’t get me started on all those deals for the holidays. this is terrible numbers when you have context

Well in just a few months the increase is 50% more than the total of ALL PSNow subs even though PlayStation has double the user base of Xbox and PSNow has been around longer. I'd say those numbers are pretty GREAT!

RGB'D

That's not always a good thing. I've played nothing on it since the XSX release.

I want new games.
The Medium drops in like two days... im not generally a horror gamer but this one looks worth a try. I liked the demo footage. Also both Hivebuster (which is fantastic) and The Call of the sea (which was really good) came out in the past month or so. Pretty decent for a pandemic...

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yeah it sounds good on paper, but its only $18mil a month as every single Gamepass user is on a lifetime $1 a month subscription.
$18mil is nothing.
Too bad they won’t say how many are paying $1 AND Still won’t say how many gold subs AND Still not posting profits.
AND most importantly, if these numbers are so great and profitable, why did they feel the need to DOUBLE the cost to their biggest subscriber base? Padded

Stuart360

Too bad they won’t say how many are paying $1 AND Still won’t say how many gold subs AND Still not posting profits.
AND most importantly, if these numbers are so great and profitable, why did they feel the need to DOUBLE the cost to their biggest subscriber base? Padded
Mega rich company wants even more money, who knew!.

Anyway it was bad enough last quarter from you trolls, you just going to look stupid trying to twist these results into a negative. Keep saying the same tiresome stuff every quarter though, as they keep showing huge growth across the board.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought that in November all 15 million were people who got it for a dollar

how did the number go up
Each month, every Xbox gamer makes a new gamertag so they can claim another introductory free GP month.

It's like Netflix. They now have 200 million subs, nobody pays for it. NF actually has $0 sales. I create a new email address every month for the past 10 years.

Xbox Game Pass now has over 18 million subscribers | Windows Central

giphy.gif
But Gaf told me that they prefer to own their games forever and that Game Pass only has shitty mediocre games such as Ori, Forza Horizon, Halo Master Chief Collection and the upcoming Elder Scrolls 6, next DOOM, new Fallout games, Awoved and a shitty old RPG ip that no one wants called Fable and of course crappy Hellblade 2 all day 1....

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Two things will happen when they announce Starfield is exclusive to GamePass. Fanboys will have the most epic meltdown of all time, and smart gamers will figure out the best option for them to subscribe to GamePass.

they (almost) doubled the price of gold to drive gamepass subs. it's their singular goal right now to drive people to gamepass subs. people are smoking crack if they think all future bethesda games won't be exclusive.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably he same reason why Sony didn't post PS3 console sales way back. Instead they PRed "the Sony family of products" where they combined PS2, PS3 and PSP portable sales into one giant number and then said that number is higher than Wii, but they didn't include portable DS sales like they did PSP.

When you're combining three pieces of hardware vs. one, I can't believe it. Three products outsold one.

They also increased the price of PS+ since it started and Sony games are now $70 US.

Sony brags sales and profits are increasing every year for PS, yet look at that. They increase prices too trying to accelerate profits, when they could take a breather and give gamers a break. The PS division is already making bank, but the price keeps going up.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Mega rich company wants even more money, who knew!.

Anyway it was bad enough last quarter from you trolls, you just going to look stupid trying to twist these results into a negative. Keep saying the same tiresome stuff every quarter though, as they keep showing huge growth across the board.
No need to name call, my post is 100% valid. But the question remains. Or you can point me to the number of gold subs.
Better yet, when have they ever announced gold subs? Show me how many $1 subs. Show me profitability. Otherwise it’s just padded numbers and quarter truths.

Stuart360

No need to name call, my post is 100% valid. But the question remains. Or you can point me to the number of gold subs.
Better yet, when have they ever announced gold subs? Show me how many $1 subs. Show me profitability. Otherwise it’s just padded numbers and quarter truths.
They dont release those kind of numbers anymore, and havent since 2014. Its time for people to let it go, gaming has moved on from simple hardware numbers
Phil even said the other week that even if XSX/XSS was actually beating PS5, they will never announce it. Just like how they stopped giving 360 numbers in 2014, leaving it open for PS3 to 'win' that gen as the 360 numbers always quoted were the last official numbers given by Microsoft.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Where's Sony profit report for PS+? They never splice it out either. Until they do, PS+ is a money loser until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

FrankWza

They dont release those kind of numbers anymore, and havent since 2014. Its time for people to let it go, gaming has moved on from simple hardware numbers
Phil even said the other week that even if XSX/XSS was actually beating PS5, they will never announce it. Just like how they stopped giving 360 numbers in 2014, leaving it open for PS3 to 'win' that gen as the 360 numbers always quoted were the last official numbers given by Microsoft.
I’m speaking to subs, not console numbers.
And that’s exactly my point. They are giving you GP numbers. Why pick and choose what you’re willing to share? if they don’t release sub numbers for gold and the $1 tie in then they’ll continue to leave themselves open to those doubting how legitimate they are. Plain and simple. It’s not right or wrong, just how it’s going to be. It doesn’t make sense to tell the world your gamepass numbers 3 times in 9 months but never tell what your gold sub numbers are when gold subs gets you an opportunity at a 3 year sub for $1 for potentially millions of people.
Where's Sony profit report for PS+? They never splice it out either. Until they do, PS+ is a money loser until proven otherwise.
I’m not bringing Sony into this but you seem to keep wanting to. Are they beating their chest announcing ps plus subs left and right? Do they offer a promotion where, as a plus subscriber, you can get another subscription for $1 that leaves them open to be questioned? Because that’s what I’m referring to, GPs profitability at 18 million subs when we don’t know how many gold subs were converted for $1. Is it 2 people, 2 million, 5 million? It’s perfectly normal to call these numbers into doubt at this time. They didn’t mention GP subs until the $1 deal was well established. Do a poll and see how many are on the $1 deal. Is it the majority? No. Is it significant? Yes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And that’s exactly my point. They are giving you GP numbers. Why pick and choose what you’re willing to share? if they don’t release sub numbers for gold and the $1 tie in then they’ll continue to leave themselves open to those doubting how legitimate they are. Plain and simple. It’s not right or wrong, just how it’s going to be. It doesn’t make sense to tell the world your gamepass numbers 3 times in 9 months but never tell what your gold sub numbers are when gold subs gets you an opportunity at a 3 year sub for $1 for potentially millions of people.

I’m not bringing Sony into this but you seem to keep wanting to. Are they beating their chest announcing ps plus subs left and right? Do they offer a promotion where, as a plus subscriber, you can get another subscription for $1 that leaves them open to be questioned? Because that’s what I’m referring to, GPs profitability at 18 million subs when we don’t know how many gold subs were converted for $1. Is it 2 people, 2 million, 5 million? It’s perfectly normal to call these numbers into doubt at this time. They didn’t mention GP subs until the $1 deal was well established. Do a poll and see how many are on the $1 deal. Is it the majority? No. Is it significant? Yes.
Why do you care so much what the detailed financials are for Game Pass?

Are you this aggressive trying to find out the profitability of everything in gaming?

Where's your interest in PS Now financials? Last summer they announced 2.2 million.

If I was Sony, I wouldn't promote it either. Service has been out before Game Pass, PS has double the user base and right now probably are humming at 3 million. Bad value, so that's why nobody is signing up. Half the games are streamed with lag and at 720p.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I forgot the wording they like to use, but its all about how many people ae doing this, how many people are engaging, how many people are playing online, how many hours they are spending doing it etc. How many Live subs are Gold, doesnt really matter in how they do it now.
You have to remember that these numbers arent really meant for the general gaming public, and certainly are not meant for fanboys to argue over on forums. In fact i believe Phil himself said a while ago that giving out hardware numbers (for example), doesnt give a true representation of how well 'Xbox' is doing,. as Xbox, and PS5, have so much other shit, services, etc. So they just reveal the revenue, or how well a division is doing as a whole, but again, this isnt meant for us.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Bad value, so that's why nobody is signing up. Half the games are streamed with lag and at 720p.
There’s your answer. On the other hand, gamepass has new games and all the specs and can be had for .03 cents a month for 3 years. It started in 2017 and doesn’t hit 10 million subs until 2020 or just under 3 years later. But 1 year after they start the $1 loophole all of a sudden, 10 million. Then another 8 million in 9 months while the loophole stays open. There’s your doubt on the legitimacy and profitability.

It doesn’t matter what you want to know, it’s their business, not yours.

Almost $2t market cap and $15bn quarterly profit is all they need to say to shut up everyone questioning their financial nous (at least in theory). They should put it on a t-shirt. I think they have proven they know what they are doing by now...

FrankWza

How many Live subs are Gold, doesnt really matter in how they do it now.
I get it. The said something like 100 million live users. The reason I bring up gold is because thats where the opportunity to get the $1 sub comes. I assume the attach rate of gold users is crazy high. So, more opportunities to get the GP deal for $1.

Interesting that for Xbox live they say active users, which means it’s not subscribers, and for Gamepass they say subscribers but they don’t say active.

Words, how do they work.

They are two very different things. You need an Xbox Live account to play minecraft on Playstation or Switch. You don't need to "subscribe" to anything to be an Xbox live active user. There really is no such thing as an "active" Gamepass user, you are either subscribed or not.

FrankWza

It doesn’t matter what you want to know, it’s their business, not yours.

Almost $2t market cap and $15bn quarterly profit is all they need to say to shut up everyone questioning their financial nous (at least in theory). They should put it on a t-shirt. I think they have proven they know what they are doing by now...
Oh boy. The anger in that bolded part.....
They sent you a text or private message? No, they announced it for all to read and see. Just not everything. If they can announce it then I can question it. They seem to be celebrating but it’s not a milestone if you’re giving it away to millions. Why bother even announcing it at all? It’s nobody else’s business, right?

Stuart360

I get it. The said something like 100 million live users. The reason I bring up gold is because thats where the opportunity to get the $1 sub comes. I assume the attach rate of gold users is crazy high. So, more opportunities to get the GP deal for $1.
I dont know if the Gold numbers will be really high, i mean there are 'only' bout 50mil Xbox consoles in the wild, but 100mil active users. Almost everyone on PC, like me, will just have the standard Live account.
Plus you have kind of answered your own question. If all 50mil Xbox users had Gold accounts, and could get Gamepass for $1, why isnt there 40-50mil Gamepass subs?, and remember these numbers include PC Gamepass.

e&e

Banned

Do you have info to back this up?

That number is why Xbox live will never be free....

Too many people are happy paying for it

So there are 100 million Xbox live users and under 20 million game pass users, and micro$oft were willing to screw those 100 million over to get them to subscribe to a shithouse subscription service? Where’s the loyalty to your paying customers in that move?
Xbox live users does not mean Xbox Live Gold subscribers....they just use the live active users to track engagement in all of their games across every platform

Kagey K

Banned
There’s your answer. On the other hand, gamepass has new games and all the specs and can be had for .03 cents a month for 3 years. It started in 2017 and doesn’t hit 10 million subs until 2020 or just under 3 years later. But 1 year after they start the $1 loophole all of a sudden, 10 million. Then another 8 million in 9 months while the loophole stays open. There’s your doubt on the legitimacy and profitability.
It was also a terrible deal at first if you already owned an Xbox and had invested in any games. It became slightly more attractive in 2018 when they announced 1st party games would be there day and date, but you still had to buy Gamepass and Gold seperately.

When they announced Gamepass Ultimate is when it started taking off because they had built a library up already and you only needed the 1 subscription instead of 2.

There are many factors that changed from 2017-2019 to help amplify the uptick in subscribers, and not just the $1.00 conversion offer you keep going on about.

Similarly everyone says PSNow has been out for 7 years, but in reality it has only been of any use the last 2. In 2017 they announced they would finally be putting PS4 games in there (but still streaming) and in 2018 finally announced you’d be able to download them locally.

I always look at the 2 products as similarly aged, because that is when they finally became useful to hardcore gamers.

JimmyF

It's a great service however so far I've only used their 1 dollar discounts they keep offering me every few months.

FrankWza

why isnt there 40-50mil Gamepass subs?
It will never be one to one especially since you need to prepay 3 years of gold, but there’s enough gold members that it matters since you can only get the deal as a gold subscriber.
There are many factors that changed from 2017-2019 to help amplify the uptick in subscribers, and not just the $1.00 conversion offer you keep going on about.
Of course. But it’s one of them. That’s my question. How big? The loophole is something they know about but don’t advertise. It’s been going on for a long time. That has to call for some skepticism, no?
Do you have info to back this up?
nobody does. But, as I say above, it’s been active for a long time and the bump in numbers happen to coincide with it perfectly. Enough to question its significance.

Stuart360

It will never be one to one especially since you need to prepay 3 years of gold, but there’s enough gold members that it matters since you can only get the deal as a gold subscriber.
Do a thread, and add a poll. 'How many Gamepass subscribers pay the full standard price a month'. I think you would be surprised by the results.

Top Bottom