• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass has 'over 30 million' subscribers

Godot25

Banned
Xbox Game Pass may have crossed 30 million subscribers, according to this LinkedIn profile.

Xbox senior marketing director Craig McNary (via @bogorad222) recently moved into a new role, updating their career profile in the process. The previous role within integrated marketing ended in August, 2023, and within the profile description, we may have gotten our first real hint that Xbox Game Pass has crossed the 30 million membership milestone.

StereoVsn

We knew this beforehand. Phil's shelf during the last interview had exactly 3 physical Xbox games on it and 10 subway passes right beside them.

XRs3EDE.gif

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I thought it was already at or over 30 million. Huh.

With Gold being replaced with Game Pass Core I expect it to get a big jump soon.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
January 2021 - 18 million
January 2022 - 25 million

So they jumped 7 million in 1 year and then in almost 2 years they've gotten 5 million...

This is kinda strange for gamepass because they are giving it away for free everywhere, I see it in dominos bags, fries Pringles, drinks everywhere in food you get some months free
On Amazon when buying electronics and every windows laptop has 3 moths free trial, got mine recently.

Circana: Growth of US video game subscription spending stalled as acquiring new users gets harder

acm2000

if you own a pc or xbox then you would be mad not to dip your toes into game pass, be it the odd month here or there or 12 months+ thats kinda the point of a subscription service.

mine runs out 10th october so i will add another year or two somehow or other at that point.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Does this include the new Xbox Live members being "upgraded" to the new Gamepass level?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Where's the post that was saying to me that it was clearly below 25 million now since they lost all the $1 subs? (I had said it was 30 mllion by now......)
30 million and still gaining. This is still a huge number, the amount of steady revenue from this can't be underestimated. Especaily since it seemed very much like the 25 million was the break even point.
Gudji's lame one month post doesn't take into account that most people won't cancel once they sub.

Robb

Gold Member
You can tell it’s steadily growing just by watching them adjust prices, tiers, and start to slowly remove ‘loopholes’.

My subscription ends by the end of this year and I’d like to do the 3-year thing again (which has been limited to a 2-year thing now from what I’ve heard).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
30 million is a lot. Hope it continues to go from strength to strength.

I hope MS has an event soon and shows us what games we can expect for first half 2024. It seems quiet.

Dream-Knife

Banned
if you own a pc or xbox then you would be mad not to dip your toes into game pass, be it the odd month here or there or 12 months+ thats kinda the point of a subscription service.

mine runs out 10th october so i will add another year or two somehow or other at that point.
Having to use the windows store is reason enough.

Also not contributing to the netflixification of gaming is another.

BlackTron

Wait did they just say this the very next day after every Xbox Live Gold subscriber turned into a Gamepass sub?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
growth is slowing. It'll hit a saturation point unless they can grow it with all the PC, Nvida, Samsung subs.

Kind f like Sony hit a brick wall at 45M sub plans for about 2-3 years straight. So to increase sub revenue, it's not coming from new sign ups. So they increased the price. The thinking is that's the easiest way to make money in any sub plan (NF and Disney too). Any loss of sub count gets countered with big gains in price from the remaining people.

And then as bonus, the thinking is give it a year or two and those people who left might rejoin anyway.

devilNprada

Is that a lot?
I am looking at Apple Arcade's 100+ million subscribers and google plays (god knows how many) where they do almost nothing, and subscribers get almost nothing for.
I can't help but to think maybe MS is simply fighting the wrong war!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Is that a lot?
I am looking at Apple Arcade's 100+ million subscribers and google plays (god knows how many) where they do almost nothing, and subscribers get almost nothing for.
I can't help but to think maybe MS is simply fighting the wrong war!
We don't know, because we don't have access to their financials. That would be $480 million per month (assuming 30 million) GROSS. We'd have to know more to see how much that is NET.

devilNprada

We don't know, because we don't have access to their financials. That would be $480 million per month (assuming 30 million) GROSS. We'd have to know more to see how much that is NET.
Just saying.... Apple Arcade is 100+m x $4.99 =$499+m and they don't have to produce content like Starfield in fact do they even make games at all?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just saying.... Apple Arcade is 100+m x $4.99 =$499+m and they don't have to produce content like Starfield in fact do they even make games at all?

Not exactly the same models, all game pass content is also sold on retail, not exclusively on the service. Starfield, for example, had already sold at least 2 million before its street date for the early-access versions and has been selling more since then as well.

Apple just licenses games. And they’re pretty fun for mobile games 👍. Full games, no mtx, available from your pocket at all times. And if you have the Apple family sub, there’s an actual 5 user licenses for next to no extra money. Something Gamepass miserably failed at to offer. They really messed up the family Gamepass with the ridiculous pricing for it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gotta pump up those fantasy numbers somehow. In total they’re probably slowly losing subscribers, but this seems to be yet another desperate attempt by MS to make things look much better than they actually are.

Eh if you read the other replies to my post, you'll see this is very old news and not associated with the recent core swap in any way. But the timing of this thread snaps your thinking there immediately, and it's sad that MS conduct is so low it's believable in a second

Eh if you read the other replies to my post, you'll see this is very old news and not associated with the recent core swap in any way. But the timing of this thread snaps your thinking there immediately, and it's sad that MS conduct is so low it's believable in a second
Yeh they really spent all their good boy credits over the past few years and it’s hard to believe anything they’d say at this moment. They’re really on a downward spiral here and sliding down into the depths faster and faster.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gotta pump up those fantasy numbers somehow. In total they’re probably slowly losing subscribers, but this seems to be yet another desperate attempt by MS to make things look much better than they actually are.

Not that your hate boner doesn't already show itself, but just FYI, this is derived from someones linked-in profile, not a 'desperate attempt' news piece.

Top Bottom