• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

KdotIX

Quick question. How useful is Apple TV in the UK? Will be looking into it as a means to avoid Cable/Satellite services such as Sky. We only really watch stuff on Netflix, Amazon Prime and NowTV anyway. Does it have live broadcasting options? That would be a bonus

Quick question. How useful is Apple TV in the UK? Will be looking into it as a means to avoid Cable/Satellite services such as Sky. We only really watch stuff on Netflix, Amazon Prime and NowTV anyway. Does it have live broadcasting options? That would be a bonus

If the rumours are true and we get an Amazon Video app then you'll be fine. I'd like to retire my Fire TV and go back to my ATV 4 so I hope the rumours are true.

I recently sold mine because everything I used was offered through my TV OS (Netflix, NowTV, Amazon Prime etc). The Apple TV did have a handy app that let you watch a bunch of freeview channels though, but they weren't in HD. So depending on the type of TV you have, you probably wouldn't be getting much else by getting an Apple TV (besides the interactivity with iPhones and MacBooks etc).

Hoping for a surprise 4K + HDR AppleTV refresh. Probably won't happen, but Amazon is dragging their feet on an HDR FireTV so if Apple beats them to the punch I'll just switch to Apple.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can you retest in the Google Assistant app, not the Google app? Aren't They supposed to be different?
Okay I just tested it with Assistant. Nope, she can't help with recognizing a song.

But she does do math without getting confused.

She can also set timers where the Google app can't. BUT she "Cant set alarms on iPhones". She specifically says "on iPhones". Which is a shame. Apple should allow apps to access the clock app for setting this stuff.

However Siri can do all of these things right from my lock screen so it's useless for those cases really.

I'll have to do more real world testing as I use the Google app for searching and finding out stuff like actor names, music artists and stuff all the time at work. I did a quick test, sort of a repeat of what I did the other day, where I asked for a list of Mel Brooks movies and it works really well. Lets me show it in a browser if I need to. So far it seems it's safe enough to replace the Google app with, at least the spot on my home screen. I'll keep the Google app in a folder for now. But I do kind of miss the cards. Not that I used them much but it was nice to see suggested links and stuff based on my browsing history.

LordOfChaos

Hoping for a surprise 4K + HDR AppleTV refresh. Probably won't happen, but Amazon is dragging their feet on an HDR FireTV so if Apple beats them to the punch I'll just switch to Apple.

iPad Pro 2
Apple TV5

Come on! :)

I maintain that throwing this years SoCs into the Apple TV, maybe including active cooling, and more storage, would make it a pretty nifty microconsole. Not its main selling point, but it would be a nice bonus like on the Shield TV.

Its per-core CPU perf would also vastly outmatch any of our consoles, now imagine a quad core variant on the SoC...Drool.

Ambient80

Asking Siri

"When will Apple release the Siri speaker?"

"I can't answer that, but Apple.com should be able to."

Haha I love messing with Siri around WWDC time. Always some cheeky replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Asking Siri

You'll get that kind of response throughout the year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Let's hope for a landscape keyboard in the big iPhones!

Majine

Banned
Pizza ordered.

Can't wait to be a disgusting slob and watch them explain how WatchOS4 will make people healthier.

Asking Siri

1wnNdAu_d.jpg

I think it has more to do with asking about anything related to Apple releasing something.

Watch I'm wrong and they announce a Siri toaster today.

What hope do I have that Apple will allow iTunes on Android devices?

Like 0%?

Maybe even -1%?

Google has practically taken over iOS itself. You'd think Apple would try to move into Android one of these days.

I'd love to be able to steam my digital movies from iTunes directly on my Galaxy S8. Same with the handful of Music albums I bought on iTunes a few years back.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
MacRumors just said the media are being informed that the keynote will last more than 2 hours today.

My god. What could they have in store? Usually they're 1.5 hours, 2 at the most at big events.

MacRumors just said the media are being informed that the keynote will last more than 2 hours today.

My god. What could they have in store? Usually they're 1.5 hours, 2 at the most at big events.

Holy shit. Even the official schedule has it pegged to end at 12

Damn you Abed

Aiii

So not worth it

iPad Pro, Speaker, a new Mac or two, a 4K Apple TV and then all the OS updates, I can believe it.

I'm guessing the extra time is to cover the new iPads, Macbooks, and the Siri Speaker.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How can I stream this on Windows? I remember last time there was a Chrome extension that allowed it.

kenta

Has no PEINS
How can I stream this on Windows? I remember last time there was a Chrome extension that allowed it.
You need to install VLC and have a link to the raw stream which I haven't seen posted yet

Edit: Oh, Edge works I guess

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Two hours? Ain't nobody got time for that.
i guess I've got the time

kaskade

If you have windows 10 I believe Edge should work.

Also over 2 hours? Damn. I'm so hyped now. It's nice to have some actual surprises his time around. I know we have a general idea of some announcements but no real solid leaks yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iPad Pro, Speaker, a new Mac or two, a 4K Apple TV and then all the OS updates, I can believe it.
I'm guessing the extra time is to cover the new iPads, Macbooks, and the Siri Speaker.
Maybe. May. Be. Possibly. Who knows. I only expect software. But hardware is always nice to see.

New iPhone confirmed. Thank god.
Heh. I'm totally sure that's happening.

More than two could just mean two hours and ten minutes. It may be something or it may be nothing.
It's still at least 2 hours. Guess they do at least have to cover all four of their OSes... OS's? Operating systems.

Guess Who

Banned
Number row always visible in portrait keyboard on iPhone 8? They'd have a taller screen so..

My guess: a significant portion of that extra height is going to be used for on-screen buttons, and the actual "app-usable" portion of the screen will be basically identical to one of the existing iPhone models to preserve compatibility.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
30 minute U2 concert. HYPE.
I swear to god my patience is gonna be so thin for the typical Apple showtime tropes. I can't abide the dad jokes today, or the musical guest.

I swear if there's some dumpy hair joke or weed reference I'm gonna lose it.

Top Bottom