• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

mcfrank

I really hope FCPX gets some attention. It has a terrible memory leak issue and could use some UX/QoL improvements. By default it's a Disk/SSD hog and I can't stand it's file management ( unnecessary file abstractions. )

There is more good than bad with FCPX and I'd really hate for the software to go the way of Aperture.

This is a long shot but I wish Apple would allow me to highlight "projects" and just send them to compressor to start in a render queue. It's obnoxiously annoying having to click individual projects and mouse over to "send to compressor" only to have to click each individual file in compressor and give it settings.

They do all FCPX updates at NAB in April, not WWDC.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My hopes for the new 15" MBP aren't too crazy.

Kaby Lake - pretty much a guarantee

Better battery tech - if rumors were true, this is likely

A marginally faster BTO GPU - I'd love a 1060 or 1050Ti, but I guarantee that won't happen - I'd be happy with a 10-15% performance boost of an AMD 560 or something

32GB RAM - seems this straight-up isn't happening with the current chipset

Give me 3 out of 4, Apple. Please.

My hopes for the new 15" MBP aren't too crazy.

Kaby Lake - pretty much a guarantee

Better battery tech - if rumors were true, this is likely

A marginally faster BTO GPU - I'd love a 1060 or 1050Ti, but I guarantee that won't happen - I'd be happy with a 10-15% performance boost of an AMD 560 or something

32GB RAM - seems this straight-up isn't happening with the current chipset

Give me 3 out of 4, Apple. Please.

32GB of RAM is happening is Apple uses (and people are okay with) desktop RAM instead of LPDDR4

About the new laptop stuff...

I'm on a late 2013 retina MBP. I don't know how but it feels just as fast as it did when I first bought it, and I think the battery lasts almost as long still (haven't checked it, but I can pretty much go all day with it).

I'd expect it to start to feel old/sluggish or something.... but yeah, I'm kinda shocked at how well it's held up. Is this a fluke or typical of modern macs? I'm not a huge fan of OS X but how good the hardware has been for me makes me inclined to get another MBP to replace this when the time comes.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
About the new laptop stuff...

I'm on a late 2013 retina MBP. I don't know how but it feels just as fast as it did when I first bought it, and I think the battery lasts almost as long still (haven't checked it, but I can pretty much go all day with it).

I'd expect it to start to feel old/sluggish or something.... but yeah, I'm kinda shocked at how well it's held up. Is this a fluke or typical of modern macs? I'm not a huge fan of OS X but how good the hardware has been for me makes me inclined to get another MBP to replace this when the time comes.
I have been using a mid-2012 Air and it is just starting to show its age a bit. I plan on getting a Pro soon and the Air will go to the wife.

I'm really curious as to how Apple is working on making Siri better, especially if they're planning a Siri Box. "Here's what I found on the web for 'What is cove fluffy'" isn't going to cut it with what Amazon and Google offer.

Stolen from Reddit. Feedback app spilled the beans?

tzxffudmoq1z.jpg

Not on a beta so I can't confirm at all

I'm really curious as to how Apple is working on making Siri better, especially if they're planning a Siri Box. "Here's what I found on the web for 'What is cove fluffy'" isn't going to cut it with what Amazon and Google offer.

I need my digital assistant to deliver the memes. It's required.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
32GB of RAM is happening is Apple uses (and people are okay with) desktop RAM instead of LPDDR4
I don't think they could even fit regular DDR4 in the casing that the MBP uses. It would have to be made thicker or they'd have to sacrifice battery capacity (so a double whammy to battery life if using normal DDR4)

I've been wondering for a while - why exactly isn't the 2016 MBP screen 10-bit? It's P3, which usually implies 10-bit support. The Ultrafine 5K is 10-bit. But the MBP display shows as 8-bit in system profiler.
I'm assuming it's an 8+2 bit panel. As to why... I'd say it's probably hard to manufacture a display that's both high DPI and thin enough for what Apple prefers. The 15" does support 10-bit output over the dGPU, at least.

Oh and the battery thing isn't terraced batteries ala MacBook IIRC, it's non-rectangular batteries that would go in the corners to add a small-ish amount of capacity. You can see the space for it in the teardowns. I agree with you though, I don't think it really needs much of a boost. I'm very happy with my 15" in this respect. It would really only be welcome for situations where you're unplugged and driving the dGPU hard.

So do we know for sure if iOS 11 is going to make the 64bit switch for apps?
And this will mean that anything that hasn't been updated just wont work on devices with iOS 11, right?

There's only 2 apps (both games) I have that don't seem likely to be updated (Peggle Classic and XCOM), but it would suck to just lose them if I ever update my iPad Mini 2 again.

I sure hope this year running the public beta of iOS 11 doesn't also mean your Apple Watch will cease to work with your phone; or, rather, I hope there's also an equally-easy public beta of watchOS 4 that comes along with the iOS beta by default.

(Good lord though, installing software updates on the Series 0 Watch takes so fucking long that it might still deter me).

So do we know for sure if iOS 11 is going to make the 64bit switch for apps?
And this will mean that anything that hasn't been updated just wont work on devices with iOS 11, right?

There's only 2 apps (both games) I have that don't seem likely to be updated (Peggle Classic and XCOM), but it would suck to just lose them if I ever update my iPad Mini 2 again.

No confirmation but it's looking really likely

I sure hope this year running the public beta of iOS 11 doesn't also mean your Apple Watch will cease to work with your phone; or, rather, I hope there's also an equally-easy public beta of watchOS 4 that comes along with the iOS beta by default.

Until people can restore their watch without having to mail it in, I don't think they'll ever do a public beta. That being said I don't remember the Watch on watchOS2 not working with the public beta of iOS10. I swear I did just that last summer, since I didn't get into the dev beta of watchOS3 until way later in the summer

Terrell

The relative silence around macOS leading up to this WWDC is kinda weird.

And as always, I hope this is the year that Apple carves up iTunes on Macs into multiple smaller apps that are lighter on RAM usage to match the iPhone.

Guess Who

Banned
The relative silence around macOS leading up to this WWDC is kinda weird.

And as always, I hope this is the year that Apple carves up iTunes on Macs into multiple smaller apps that are lighter on RAM usage to match the iPhone.

There's silence about almost everything this year. This is the least-leaked WWDC in ages, it feels like. Even most of the rumors we do have seem kind of bullshit.

There's silence about almost everything this year. This is the least-leaked WWDC in ages, it feels like. Even most of the rumors we do have seem kind of bullshit.

In the case of some of them, amazingly transparent bullshit that people are eating up. Cough foxconn leak cough

jts

...hate me...
We jailbreak now.

Surely we'll only have access to a safe part of the filesystem though right?

Hatty

I'm hoping for an updated iPad Pro 12.9. I foolishly sold mine in April in response to rumors of an update and I miss my gigantic boy

We jailbreak now.

Surely we'll only have access to a safe part of the filesystem though right?

I imagine it'll be a repository for all the document picker services (iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc). Even that has a lot of utility

Majine said:
Huh.

Does this indicate it will not be part of the OS but rather an optional app on the app store?

Nah, they just always add the stock/system apps to the App Store if they can be deleted (else you wouldn't be able to get them back without doing a factory restore).

I'm actually excited for the first time ever over an Apple event. Maybe me currently having an iPad Pro, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch S2 has something to do with it. I'm most interested in seeing what changes they'll be making for the Watch.

hirokazu

A lot of stuff leak in the hours leading up to WWDC though, be it stuff Apple inadvertently put up early (see: Files app), or things leaked to the media as more people learn about stuff ahead of the keynote. So keep your eyes peeled over the next ten hours! :D

I imagine it'll be a repository for all the document picker services (iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc). Even that has a lot of utility
I suspect it'll be the existing iCloud Drive app renamed and extended with the ability to view the Documents folders within individual app containers. At least for those apps you can drag and drop files into in iTunes.

I suspect it'll be the existing iCloud Drive app renamed and extended with the ability to view the Documents folders within individual app containers. At least for those apps you can drag and drop files into in iTunes.

Didn't all those apps that previously used iTunes for syncing gain iCloud ability? I mean the amount of people that use iTunes documents syncing must be minuscule absolutely minuscule

hirokazu

Didn't all those apps that previously used iTunes for syncing gain iCloud ability? I mean the amount of people that use iTunes documents syncing must be minuscule absolutely minuscule
Nah, apps can allow files to be dropped in via iTunes without supporting iCloud Drive, and probably vice versa.

For example, VLC let's you add files via iTunes but doesn't do iCloud Drive.

Nah, apps can allow files to be dropped in via iTunes without supporting iCloud Drive, and probably vice versa.

For example, VLC let's you add files via iTunes but doesn't do iCloud Drive.

Ah, interesting. And I didn't mean like the apps automatically got upgraded, just that one feature set superseded the last. Didn't know about VLC, though

I do wonder why they didn't call it "Finder" however. Even if it didn't actually work like the Mac version, the name is familiar and I like it.

timshundo

Ah, interesting. And I didn't mean like the apps automatically got upgraded, just that one feature set superseded the last. Didn't know about VLC, though

I do wonder why they didn't call it "Finder" however. Even if it didn't actually work like the Mac version, the name is familiar and I like it.

Prediction: they rename Finder to Files.

hirokazu

Prediction: they rename Finder to Files.
That's actually pretty likely, though if they get rid of the Finder smiley face icon, it's gonna be really weird having a app in the dock that just looks like a folder.

Also, as someone has already mentioned, it wouldn't be surprising if they allow you to browse all your cloud storage services from the Files app. The current API to integrate them into other apps pretty much already allows browsing, reading and writing to them.

ekim

Do they usually roll out their new OS (iOS and MacOS) the same day they announce them? (if so, only beta I guess)

Thezez

Banned
Do they usually roll out their new OS (iOS and MacOS) the same day they announce them? (if so, only beta I guess)

Beta for developers on the same day, public beta typically in July, final iOS release just before a new iPhone release, macOS release probably October.

I plan on waiting for the public beta but I fully anticipate being so excited by the new update that I hop on the developer track anyway

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the Iphone 8 is a 5.8" screen but most of the increase comes from a taller display, should we expect something like
2160x1080 (keep the 7 plus horizontal resolution and expand the vertical to 18:9)

Or of it isn't much wider than the 7, then could it still be 750 wide (so something like 1500x750)

I'm guessing they'd keep to one of the current sizes to avoid too much fragmentation and could mean no new icons giving thing away in the new iOS builds

jts

...hate me...
If the Iphone 8 is a 5.8" screen but most of the increase comes from a taller display, should we expect something like
2160x1080 (keep the 7 plus horizontal resolution and expand the vertical to 18:9)

Or of it isn't much wider than the 7, then could it still be 750 wide (so something like 1500x750)

I'm guessing they'd keep to one of the current sizes to avoid too much fragmentation and could mean no new icons giving thing away in the new iOS builds
No way they will go back in pixel density from the Plus models.

But keep your expectations for today's event in check, they will not show the new iPhone :D

Man I just REALLY want a landscape mode for all stock apps, it's unbelievable this still hasn't happened.
It's been almost three years since the introduction of landscape mobile apps!

Top Bottom