• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

jts

...hate me...
Man I just REALLY want a landscape mode for all stock apps, it's unbelievable this still hasn't happened.
It's been almost three years since the introduction of landscape mobile apps!

I want the end of landscape home screen for the Plus :(

Hell, I'd love granular control to allow each app to be landscape or not. Don't want landscape Safari either.

giga

So we got a file manager and drag and drop. If better multitasking and upgrade pricing comes too the iPad might have hope yet.

I want the end of landscape home screen for the Plus :(

Hell, I'd love granular control to allow each app to be landscape or not. Don't want landscape Safari either.

What the...!?

I need to take a seat...

(Granular controls are a good idea though. I'd force everything to be landscape. EVERYTHING!)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No way they will go back in pixel density from the Plus models.

But keep your expectations for today's event in check, they will not show the new iPhone :D

Oh I'm not expecting it, just curious what direction they'll take for the screen res and whether there will be any hints in the iOS developer versions

TimFL

So I guess significant iPad updates incoming with the split-view drag & drop confirmed.

Also, what are your thoughts on a potential iOS10.4 being announced tomorrow? It just crossed my mind that carpool karaoke is scheduled for August and we know that the music app needs to be updated to add support for Apple shows.

I could see them showing off the new Apple Music app that incorporates their show offerings with the bomb dropping "and you'll get access to this via iOS 10.4 in August, available to testers now".

That's not the first time they announced updates for the current iOS at WWDC: they announced Apple Music back in 2015 and added it to the iOS 8.4 beta build after the show.

hirokazu

So I guess significant iPad updates incoming with the split-view drag & drop confirmed.

Also, what are your thoughts on a potential iOS10.4 being announced tomorrow? It just crossed my mind that carpool karaoke is scheduled for August and we know that the music app needs to be updated to add support for Apple shows.

I could see them showing off the new Apple Music app that incorporates their show offerings with the bomb dropping "and you'll get access to this via iOS 10.4 in August, available to testers now".

That's not the first time they announced updates for the current iOS at WWDC: they announced Apple Music back in 2015 and added it to the iOS 8.4 beta build after the show.
I was thinking this also, because iPad improvements were originally intended to arrive in iOS 10.3 along with the new iPads, before the iPads apparently got delayed. If the iPads are now ready at WWDC, it'd be a bit weird for those improvements to be withheld until iOS 11.

jts

...hate me...
What the...!?

I need to take a seat...

(Granular controls are a good idea though. I'd force everything to be landscape. EVERYTHING!)
The constant rotation bothers me a lot in bed or sometimes even when laying the phone on a table. End up just having rotation locked most of the time, and then I have to turn it off when I want to watch a video. And then on again after it.

Other solutions:

Bring back the chance to set the hardware switch as the orientation lock toggle, from the old school iPads.
and
Put in every video player a button that overrides orientation lock status and goes landscape fullscreen... like the Youtube app has.

This would already please me greatly. But I'll take any general QoL improvements in that area.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The constant rotation bothers me a lot in bed or sometimes even when laying the phone on a table. End up just having rotation locked most of the time, and then I have to turn it off when I want to watch a video. And then on again after it.

Other solutions:

Bring back the chance to set the hardware switch as the orientation lock toggle, from the old school iPads.
and
Put in every video player a button that overrides orientation lock status and goes landscape fullscreen... like the Youtube app has.

This would already please me greatly. But I'll take any general QoL improvements in that area.

Got to agree with this. For all the things that really do "just work" on an iPhone, rotation is not one of them. I feel like I'm always fighting it's desire to rotate or not rotate.

Ambient80

Got to agree with this. For all the things that really do "just work" on an iPhone, rotation is not one of them. I feel like I'm always fighting it's desire to rotate or not rotate.

"Portrait. No, portrait! Stupid phone, portrait!!"
*sigh*
*slowly rotates to landscape, then portrait*

Fhtagn

Four hours till go time. Feels like it's going to be a big one for iPad, no pun intended.

The speculation about APFS allowing for a significant Time Machine upgrade in macOS is exciting; I don't know if that's a 2017 or 2018 thing, but the ability to use Time Machine with iCloud Drive or to finally be able to boot from a Time Machine back up would be great.

emag

An option for "rotation lock except videos" in settings would solve a lot of problems.

The only time I turn off rotation lock (on iPhone) is for embedded videos.

It's ridiculous that full-screening videos doesn't automatically set the matching orientation. The YouTube app does it, but the system's built-in player does not. At the very least there should be a rotation button in the system player.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It's Today? I thought it was tomorrow. Guess I was wrong.

I thought E3 was THIS week until yesterday afternoon when I couldn't find a Sony stream :(

Imagine my disappointment, lol.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If the Iphone 8 is a 5.8" screen but most of the increase comes from a taller display, should we expect something like
2160x1080 (keep the 7 plus horizontal resolution and expand the vertical to 18:9)

Or of it isn't much wider than the 7, then could it still be 750 wide (so something like 1500x750)

I'm guessing they'd keep to one of the current sizes to avoid too much fragmentation and could mean no new icons giving thing away in the new iOS builds

my guess is the actual UIKit view will be 1080p on the 8, but the actual resolution of the screen will be wider.

edit - I have no idea what you guys are going on about orientation lock.. I mean I've been using iphones now for almost exactly 8 years and have never once been affected by any sort of wrong orientation?

I thought E3 was THIS week until yesterday afternoon when I couldn't find a Sony stream :(

Imagine my disappointment, lol.

Ha, I thought the same thing because I feel like E3 and WWDC are always the same week. I woke up this morning looking for info about what was announced at the EA and whoever else press conferences that I had assumed happened this Saturday and Sunday and it took an embarrassingly long amount of time for me to realize I was a full week off.

Enco

What's the benefit of Files on a phone?

Serious question.

Music is via Spotify/Music. Photos via Photos. What else do you want to access? Especially with apps like Dropbox/Onedrive/Google Drive.

Skel1ingt0n

Serious question.

Music is via Spotify/Music. Photos via Photos. What else do you want to access? Especially with apps like Dropbox/Onedrive/Google Drive.

I'd like it for more simple attachments in email. Sending more than one attachment in Mail is a pain in the ass, currently.

ekim

Serious question.

I hope this will make a dedicated file space within every app obsolete and they can all access the same central place. I expect it to be somewhat like Goodreader and the likes.

LordOfChaos

Serious question.

Download docs of any file type and attach them right in email for instance, rather than going through an app or other steps.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Serious question.

I like having music on my phone because I'd rather not chew through my data and have to pay a separate fee to listen to music.

Enco

I'd like it for more simple attachments in email. Sending more than one attachment in Mail is a pain in the ass, currently.
Yea I can see that.

I hope this will make a dedicated file space within every app obsolete and they can all access the same central place. I expect it to be somewhat like Goodreader and the likes.
That's an interesting idea. If it worked well then sure. Could get rid of several apps that way. Would have to be super reliable though. I've always found that kind of app pretty unreliable with connecting.

Download docs of any file type and attach them right in email for instance, rather than going through an app or other steps.
Ooh good point. Downloading things from Safari would be pretty neat. Doubt I would use it but having the option would be nice.

Now I'm a supporter haha. Anything beats the garbage system they have now with the iCloud app. Main thing I want is a better Siri. iOS does everything else I want. A redesign would be cool too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Serious question.

I just want to be able to save files from Safari or other apps that aren't just images. Then be able to browse through them at any time. Have them sync to my computer and other devices. I don't know why we need a Files app when they could just integrate this with the iCloud Drive app. Make iCloud Drive have the ability to store these files and sync them. Apps need better integration with iCloud Drive. Especially apps that deal with image files. Like you can't even set an image file in iCloud Drive as your wallpaper. You have to first save it to Photos then load it from Photos. So clunky and unintuitive. Fix this shit Apple! Let's hope this is a step towards that.

Also let me download audio files like MP3 from other sites (Remember, not all music or audio is a regular song available on iTunes. Overclocked, stuff on SoundCloud and other similar sites.) and import them directly into my Music library, then sync those down to my computer on the next sync. Right into whatever playlist I put them in.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/871602652320280576

CoGR0U7.jpg
Amazing. Just a proper file browser (omg what if you can download things from safari into this space, or import mp3s into your music collection from it) will be a huge deal. Hopefully they'll get closer to sharing/collaboration parity with Google Drive and Dropbox with iCloud Drive stuff too.

Hoping apple goes innovative with its file explorer.
There are cases where innovation is less important than good design and nailing the technical nuts and bolts and I think this is one of them. Definitely don't want it to feel clunky or old-fashioned but that's pretty easy to avoid. But yeah, it's more important for it to get the ground-level stuff exactly right so it can support developers in being the ones responsible for innovation.

Fuchsdh

It is a file explorer, they haven't been innovative since Norton Commander.

Not to mention I don't think anyone particularly *wants* innovation, they just want a way to transfer workflows so they can use iOS devices for more work.

kaskade

As much as I want a nice hardware upgrade for the iPhone it's still one of the best phones on the market. I just want them to keep opening it up, if they are going full in on Siri with this new speaker we need more access to other services, otherwise it's just what Siri is now, a glorified timer.

I want pretty much any app to be able to utilize it. Spotify is obviously the big one, but with the airpods having the quick access in the ears at all times it needs to do more. I'd love to be able to tell it to play a podcast on overcast without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. Let me tell MFP to add a food to my day.

Any chance we get iOS 11 this week instead of sometime this fall..?

History tells us that Developers will get to download an early beta of iOS 11 this week, then the public will be able to download the a more stable version of the beta during the summer, before it finally gets released in autumn.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hoping apple goes innovative with its file explorer.
It is a file explorer, they haven't been innovative since Norton Commander.
*pffft*

Apple hasn't made a great file explorer since the one in iOS 9. OS X's Finder lost so many things 9 had and they still haven't put them all back. I have very little faith in Apple making a better Finder unless they bought out the people who make Path Finder and let them have mostly full reign over how it works. (With some restrictions like not making it too complicated, but still let them put a lot of features in it even if they have to be optional and off by default.)

Wont happen.

But we can hope. Again. For the 17th year in a row.

Top Bottom