• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: A New Problem for Keystone XL: Oil Companies Don’t Want It

Patryn

After all the fights over the KXL pipeline, it may be the collapse of oil prices and uncertainty of the oil market that really dooms it:

WSJ said:

So after everything involved and the shit-storm that the pipeline itself caused, they don't want it?

I don't have an appropriate .gif for this.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I'm not fully informed on the oil market - is there an oversupply situation in effect now? Is it because of a rapid rise in the use of alternative energies, or something else?

(Also, fuck those greedy douches. I support the water protectors all the way!)

Yeah this has been known for months, but TransCanada has been tight lipped because of how embarrassing it is. Canada is focusing on other projects to export its oil sands production westwards to Asia.

kirblar

I'm not fully informed on the oil market - is there an oversupply situation in effect now? Is it because of a rapid rise in the use of alternative energies, or something else?

(Also, fuck those greedy douches. I support the water protectors all the way!)
Part alternative energy, part OPEC keeping the oil flowing to f up Russia's economy which hurt Canada and parts of the US as well.

So fossil fuels in general are being fucked over not only by the rapid efficiency and affordability of renewables, but in the case of oil, its own industry globally is fucking itself over due to OPEC trying to fuck over the competition? Ah, the free market is a cruel mistress indeed.

I'm glad the economics are lining up in the right way to make it easier to save our climate. For all of Trump's bluster, fossil fuels are on their way out. It'll take a bit longer for oil to really crash, but coal is already feeling the pain.

Part alternative energy, part OPEC keeping the oil flowing to f up Russia's economy which hurt Canada and parts of the US as well.

Everyone in OPEC (aside from Iraq and Libya) is lowering production. Russia itself is also lowering production.

So fossil fuels in general are being fucked over not only by the rapid efficiency and affordability of renewables, but in the case of oil, its own industry globally is fucking itself over due to OPEC trying to fuck over the competition? Ah, the free market is a cruel mistress indeed.

I'm glad the economics are lining up in the right way to make it easier to save our climate. For all of Trump's bluster, fossil fuels are on their way out. It'll take a bit longer for oil to really crash, but coal is already feeling the pain.

Otherwise. Most of the WW increase in oil production come from non-OPEC countries like the US, Brazil (plus Iraq)

A-Non-OPEC.jpg

(chart in thousand barrels per day.

Top Bottom