• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Advancing Keystone, Dakota Oil Pipelines Today, Source Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed1979

Negating fossil fuels for alternative energies is not only the best thing to do, but actually the most effective thing to do.

Actions like this are being done for one simple reason: monied interests pushing the status quo. Oil is declining even when compared to the costs of other energies, so this is the GOP delaying the inevitable, as per usual.

Remind me again how this "brightened up" you day..?

I don't think this means that people have given up on alternative sources of energy. It means that instead of trains carrying this oil there's going to be safer pipe lines. Of course dollars are the driving factor in all of this, no one will argue otherwise...

Ac30

Seriously, why is Pence always overlooking him like some evil mastermind?

You think Trump has any idea what he's signing? Pence probably spins some yarn on the details of every EO put on that man's desk. He can't even be bothered to read them and just loves the fancy titles.

Foffy

Banned
I don't think this means that people have given up on alternative sources of energy. It means that instead of trains carrying this oil there's going to be safer pipe lines. Of course dollars are the driving factor in all of this, no one will argue otherwise...

You bet your ass so long as the GOP is in power, they've given up.

How could you assume otherwise? Where does the fossil fuel industry line up? Why do they want to tarnish Elon Musk's reputation?

Fixed1979

You bet your ass so long as the GOP is in power, they've given up.

How could you assume otherwise? Where does the fossil fuel industry line up? Why do they want to tarnish Elon Musk's reputation?

If you're looking for the GOP or the oil industry to push for renewable sources then you'll forever be disappointed. As long as the population is pushing for it and people like Musk have a voice it will continue to move forward, though not as quickly as I'm sure most would like.

This is a double plus good win for Trump. He has stock in the fucking company that's installing these pipelines, so he's going to make money off of this and this is a long awaited "fuck you" to Native Americans that he has always hated: Donald Trump's long history of clashes with Native Americans

Looks like his clashes with Native Americans is to deny the legitimacy of Eastern Natives' Heritage.

This guy is Republican and a member of "the Cherokee tribe" and "Trump's Native American Affairs Coalition," whose goal is to privatize Native American lands.

r960-n_8c7f25e5b29ab50bea75602eebe79bc2.jpg

He and his family are certainly Native American! /s

Here's an actual Native American who works in Energy Systems. https://energy.gov/articles/meet-dr-stanley-atcitty-pecase-winner-and-doe-researcher

With regards to the Keystone Pipelines, both Democrats and Republicans agreed to it? I thought it was a bipartisan issue that was agreed by both other than Bernie and a few other Democrats.

With that being said, can they reroute it away from Native America's lands?

commedieu

Banned
Sigh... Everytime I see shit like this I want to punch anyone who didn't vote because emails or Clinton wasn't lefty enough.

Identical feelings.

Its like we all knew this was likely to happen. Not that we are some sort of great prognosticators. But it is obvious trump was a bigoted greedy shit heel.

So infuriating. And it's not going to be just 4 years either.

commedieu

Banned
With regards to the Keystone Pipelines, both Democrats and Republicans agreed to it? I thought it was a bipartisan issue that was agreed by both other than Bernie and a few other Democrats.

With that being said, can they reroute it away from Native America's lands?

That was the plan originally, but the white people said no because they don't want it to poison their drinking water/land.

Retro

Hey, it's not like these pipelines ever leak, certainly not on native-held land....

Canada oil pipeline spills 200,000 liters on aboriginal land

A pipeline in the western Canadian province of Saskatchewan has leaked 200,000 liters (52,834 gallons) of oil in an aboriginal community, the provincial government said on Monday.

The government was notified late in the afternoon on Friday, and 170,000 liters have since been recovered, said Doug McKnight, assistant deputy minister in the Ministry of the Economy, which regulates pipelines in Saskatchewan.

Oil pipelines are viewed by the oil-rich provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan as a critical lifeline to move crude to the coast, but they have drawn fierce opposition from environmental and indigenous groups.

Exile20

Trump's most recent federal disclosure forms, filed in May, show he owned a small amount of stock in Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners, the pipeline builder, and at least $100,000 in Phillips 66, an energy company that owns one-quarter of the pipeline.

Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks said in response to an AP story last week that it is her understanding Trump recently sold his Energy Transfer stock, but she provided no details. Neither Hicks nor other Trump aides have responded to repeated requests for information since then.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fe4b...team-says-he-backs-disputed-dakota-access-oil

This fucker still invested in Energy Transfer Partners. How is he allowed to do this? I don't get it. He is doing whatever the fuck he wants.

Rick Perry is still on the fucking board of Energy Transfer Partners also. What the fuck?!?!

No NO, how is this happening? I still have no clue how he is president and signing executive orders when he has a huge list of conflicts of interest.

zethren

Banned
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fe4b...team-says-he-backs-disputed-dakota-access-oil

This fucker still invested in Energy Transfer Partners. How is he allowed to do this? I don't get it. He is doing whatever the fuck he wants.

Rick Perry is still on the fucking board of Energy Transfer Partners also. What the fuck?!?!

No NO, how is this happening? I still have no clue how he is president and signing executive orders when he has a huge list of conflicts of interest.

Because stupid people don't give a fuck. They don't know, and they don't care. And the people who bring it up are met with resistance by said stupid people.

Trump is a walking, talking affront to the Constitution. Impeach this idiot.

RocBase

What's the alternative right now? Blow up the industry and complete ruin our main source of energy along the millions of jobs that are either in O&G or related to it in some way? That industry isn't immoral for the millions of people who provide for their families and energy it provides to the entire world.

Obviously we need alternative fuels, but it won't happen overnight. It's going to take time and blowing up our economy by attempting to kill the O&G industry won't get us there any faster.

But is anything actually in place or being done in the US for this transition to renewable energy? I'm legitimately asking. It feels like there's still a lot of infighting on the matter of the climate change threat even existing that is probably slowing down this process. Transitions don't happen over night but for context, there are countries in this world that are already running almost exclusively on renewable energy.

Just had a co-worker and her boyfriend comment about this and how much they hate it. They get a comment saying

"It's CNN don't be too quick to believe anything"

I mean there's a video and everything, but yeah I'm sure Obama held him at gunpoint.

Still waiting for the reaction of another former co-worker who loves Trump but also loves posting her support for Keystone.

Pilgrimzero

I'm pretty sure Trump is going to push through every awful thing Repubs have wanted for years.

And then when it's done they will cut him loose and blame him for any negativity.

It's win win for the Repubs. All their crazy shit with next to none of the blame.

Lautaro

I'm pretty sure Trump is going to push through every awful thing Repubs have wanted for years.

And then when it's done they will cut him loose and blame him for any negativity.

It's win win for the Repubs. All their crazy shit with next to none of the blame.

That would explain why this feels so rushed. They know he doesn't have much time.

who was it that said it's "gameover for the climate" if the Keystone pipeline is built? some NASA scientist?

anyway, i hope he's wrong and Trump is right. for the biosphere's sake.

rjinaz

Despicable.

Of course though, he owns stock and stands to profit.

You mean Trump is going to use the presidency to line his own pockets? No!

Not Trump! He cares about me. He's going to get me a job and then invite me personally over to the White House where we can throw rocks together off the balcony at the minorities below begging for scraps.

UberTag

This is indeed the gameplan.

Ultryx

Did anyone see the tweets from the @BadlandsNPS account?

There were like 3-5 tweets about climate change and scientific facts. They are all missing now.

Chococat

Can someone explain to a non-American what the issue is with the Keystone pipeline? As far as I know, oil is already being transported from Canada to the US via railways.

The route businesses want to use goes over one of the world largest freshwater aquifers that supplies drinking water to 8 states and supports the agricultural industry. Pipelines break all the time and the clean up of them takes years.

Aikidoka

who was it that said it's "gameover for the climate" if the Keystone pipeline is built? some NASA scientist?

anyway, i hope he's wrong and Trump is right. for the biosphere's sake.

I don't know necessarily about "game over", but I believe the argument is something like this. The incredibly simple and effective solution for climate change is a carbon tax. However, that has literally zero chance of happening under the current administration and congress. So the only way to combat the oil industry is via a "death by a thousand cuts" method, which means these pro-oil pipelines can seriously reduce opportunities to hamper the oil industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom