• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Advancing Keystone, Dakota Oil Pipelines Today, Source Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Great news, this is from someone working in the pipelines industry.
Ridiculous that the process thus far was drowning in red tape. Maybe people can finally get back to work and provide for their families

I'd rather they didn't "provide for their families" at the expense of my own.

Or is it only okay when it's at the expense of Native Americans? They moved the pipeline once already to avoid white settlements... but screwing over Native Americans is still perfectly acceptable it seems.

When Trump said he was going to Make America Great Again, I didn't know he meant the year 1839...

Andrew Jackson would be proud.

Ogodei

DAPL was always going to get finished, sadly. The protests didn't come to a head until it was 90% finished, and the company was always going to fight harder to connect that last 10%, than if the protests had hit their fever pitch right when construction began.

Keystone's just stupid, given that it's for Tar Sands oil which is not competitive in the new age of cheap oil and Shale Gas. Wanting to complete it at this point is more about sticking a fork in the eye of environmentalists than achieving any real gain (though "this makes no sense but we'll do it to fuck the liberals" is going to be a running theme for the Trump Administration).

pr0cs

I'd rather they didn't "provide for their families" at the expense of my own.
Where do you live and how are you directly impacted?
Or is it only okay when it's at the expense of Native Americans? .
Do you have an article stating that the natives were not consulted at all? Everything I've read suggested that they were in on the planning process and at the last minute changes their mind.

Good news: The pipelines will now be located in the Oval Office.

MVEGwrr.jpg

pr0cs

Well due to climate change we could live anywhere and this will probably fuck us over.

I get you need to provide for your own but your industry is immoral
My industry is significantly higher regulated, has higher environment standards and safety standards than any place else in the world. Believe it or not our society is tied to oil for the next foreseeable future. So would you prefer to buy that oil from a place with little to no regard for safety, environment that offers no value to you or your co citizens or from a regulated industry?

When was the last time you visited a oil installation of any kind that would make you feel that it's so immoral? Or that's your opinion with no basis in experience?

This should be a surprise to absolutely no one. I know I and a ton of others brought up that this was inevitable and that celebrating moves against them was incredibly naive with Trump coming in.

I can't say I'm shocked but I do feel completely disgusted.

This dumpster fire is going to destroy our planet without a hint of fucking remorse.

UberTag

At what point do we stop protesting peacefully and drag these motherfuckers out into the street?
Hard to say. Apparently not for another 3 months because we're just going to peacefully protest again in April because of Donny's tax records.
Maybe after that. Or maybe you won''t be angry any more. Who knows?

People in the US are way too passive for that. Also people won't really give a shit until it personally affects them, by which point it will be too late.
There we go. See, Bobo gets it.

Instead of dying for something you believe in, you'll instead go die in the Middle East when you attempt to take another sovereign nation's oil because your fascist rulers ordered you to.

sasliquid

My industry is significantly higher regulated, has higher environment standards and safety standards than any place else in the world. Believe it or not our society is tied to oil for the next foreseeable future. So would you prefer to buy that oil from a place with little to no regard for safety, environment that offers no value to you or your co citizens or from a regulated industry?

When was the last time you visited a oil installation of any kind that would make you feel that it's so immoral? Or that's your opinion with no basis in experience?

I'd rather just not build new pipelines.

I'm not arguing the people in oil installations are immoral but the industry that relies on selling a energy source that is disasterously destabilising the planets ecology for profit may be immoral.

devilhawk

Obama wanted the DAPL anyways. He just stalled it right before completion and after the election knowing it would get done in January.

This was always going to get done.

Mr. X

Yeah, Trump has investments and friends with investments in the project. They're was no way this want getting pushed forward. The public is soft, our politicians are softer.

mid83

I'm not arguing the people in oil installations are immoral but the industry that relies on selling a energy source that is disasterously destabilising the planets ecology for profit may be immoral.

What's the alternative right now? Blow up the industry and complete ruin our main source of energy along the millions of jobs that are either in O&G or related to it in some way? That industry isn't immoral for the millions of people who provide for their families and energy it provides to the entire world.

Obviously we need alternative fuels, but it won't happen overnight. It's going to take time and blowing up our economy by attempting to kill the O&G industry won't get us there any faster.

pr0cs

The point still stands, whether you like it or not you need it, so if you need it why wouldn't you buy it from the place with the highest regulations and the biggest benefits to your neighbourhood and country?

Makes zero sense to me.

klonere

Banned

Um, I think he was thinking immoral more along these lines.

Oil, Cash and Corruption
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/business/yourmoney/05giffen.html

After Seven Years, 'Kazakhgate' Scandal Ends With Minor Indictment
http://www.eurasianet.org/node/61714

ExxonMobil under investigation over lucrative Nigerian oil deal
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/23/exxonmobil-nigeria-oil-fields-deal-investigation

Dick Cheney/Haliburton to be charged in Nigeria corruption case
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/02/dick-cheney-halliburton-nigeria-corruption-charges

Halliburton, KBR, and Iraq war contracting: A history so far
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...urton-kbr-and-iraq-war-contracting-history-s/

Shell and ENI's misadventures in Nigeria
https://www.globalwitness.org/en/campaigns/oil-gas-and-mining/shell-and-enis-misadventures-nigeria/

“World’s biggest bribe scandal”: Report on oil corruption exposes how corporations help destabilize Middle East
http://www.salon.com/2016/03/30/wor...ow_corporations_help_destabilize_middle_east/

Buhari's battle to clean up Nigeria's oil industry
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35754777

Alexander Briant · Diary: Oil Industry Corruption
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n02/alexander-briant/diary

"Over $1billion lost to corruption in Angola per year
http://www.transparency.org/files/c..._Corruption_and_anti_corruption_in_Angola.pdf

Unaoil bribery scandal: Monaco HQ raided in global oil industry corruption investigation
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/unaoil-bri...oil-industry-corruption-investigation-1552622

Foffy

Banned
Hearing the PR guy for the White House talk about this, and also say the environment is a priority, is astounding.

Alternative facts...

This brightened my otherwise dreary day. Expected it was going to come, didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

Good on you for not caring about the climate issue at all...?

Oh these next few years will be glorious in seeing how these asshats republicans and trump supporters defend shit like this.
They're gonna creat a new damn sport with the mental gymnastics they're about to engage in.

Fixed1979

Hearing the PR guy for the White House talk about this, and also say the environment is a priority, is astounding.

Alternative facts...

Good on you for not caring about the climate issue at all...?

Never said that...but thanks?

They're moving oil anyway, this allows for a safer way to do that, they're burning oil anyway, and now they have greater access to oil that isn't from a corrupt source. I really don't consider this that big of a bigclimate change issue, it seems more people are worried about land rights.

Foffy

Banned

They're moving oil anyway, this allows for a safer way to do that, they're burning oil anyway and now they have greater access to oil that isn't from a corrupt source. I really don't consider this a big climate change issue.

Negating fossil fuels for alternative energies is not only the best thing to do, but actually the most effective thing to do.

Actions like this are being done for one simple reason: monied interests pushing the status quo. Oil is declining even when compared to the costs of other energies, so this is the GOP delaying the inevitable, as per usual.

Remind me again how this "brightened up" you day..?

zethren

Banned

They're moving oil anyway, this allows for a safer way to do that, they're burning oil anyway, and now they have greater access to oil that isn't from a corrupt source. I really don't consider this a big climate change issue.

In this scenario, it's about WHERE this pipeline is. If they're going to build a pipeline, fine. But there is a reason it has been being protested in the specific place that it is.

Make no mistake, I too would rather not even have the pipeline. I want us to move away from fossil fuels as quickly as possible. But the location of this pipeline in particular is what has added a massive amount of protest.

Garlador

My industry is significantly higher regulated, has higher environment standards and safety standards than any place else in the world.
Meanwhile, about 150 miles near the Pipeline Protest...
Pipeline rupture spews oil into creek 150 miles from Standing Rock

I have grandparents and an uncle that live up there. They've been protesting for months and fighting to protect their land and the risks imposed upon them.

The government has taken, taken, taken from us, for centuries, and we've always been the first discarded and neglected by the government and American society at large. We're more likely to get killed by police than any other group of individuals in the nation. Our culture, our historical burial grounds, our land, have systematically been run over and exterminated. And it's not getting any better.

I'll never forget that time one of my friends was speaking her own native language to her mother and some stupid white woman got upset with her and told her "go back to where you came from!"... only to be told "I'm speaking Navajo. I'm standing exactly where my ancestors came from. You want to speak English? Move to England."

Anyway, venting aside, our reliance on fossil fuels, our damage to the environment, and our ever widening carbon footprint ALONE should give us reason to move away from the oil business. It's archaic, damaging, and self-defeating. I say that as someone who grew up in Oklahoma, which relied on natural gas and oil almost exclusively to keep it afloat, only now the wells are drying up, the economy is going south, and we've done so much fracking and waste-water disposal that man-made earthquakes have grown so fast that environmental scientists now think the damage is irreversible. Oklahoma has become the earthquake capital of the WORLD.

We should be looking into alternative and renewable forms of energy. People in the gas and oil field should be looking to that as alternatives as the jobs are not going to suddenly come back and flourish; we're too far gone and automation alone is ensuring a steady replacement of human labor year after year.

And all of that is without factoring in just how frequently the US government has screwed over the Native American people, how cavalier they are at running rampant through land and water sources we clung to for centuries, and how this is yet another short-term greedy grab by the oil industries to offset their long-term financial free-fall.

We've seen this before. We know what'll happen when it gets approved.

The land will be destroyed, and more importantly it'll put Standing Rock's water supply at serious risk.

But I don't expect to "convince" you of anything. "I got mine, get yours" is the mentality of most of America, and it's the mentality that led my people to relocation and reservations in the first place (if they were lucky and weren't just outright killed for it).

And I can only say... it must be nice to have that privilege. To have that might and power. To be a majority that has people to steamroll over the rights of others, because, yeah, it doesn't affect you, and why be bothered to care about anything beyond your personal sphere of influence of likeminded peers?

I don't think we'll ever know what that feels like. So we do what we can. We stand. We march. We protest. We fight. And we'll probably lose.

But "winning" and "losing" isn't exclusively why we fight. There are things beyond outcome that matter. When I'm old and gray, I can tell my kids and grandkids that I stood up for myself, and my people, when it mattered. I can be proud of taking action to do the right thing, not just the popular thing. I can say I stood in defiance of the greedy and the powerful, of the hateful and the bigoted - whether its the Dakota Pipeline or the Women's March or in solidarity with other civil rights movements that I joined in on to fight back against the wave of corruption and regression.

And I can say, even in defeat, I did my part to make the world a SLIGHTLY better place for the generation to follow me.

That's enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom