• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst gaming memories

Wow! I'm a full member now! So in celebration of this I thought I would kick off my membership with this thread.

So yeah, as the title says, what are some of the worst gaming memories you have? This can be related to anything, perhaps you missed out on a rare game, or a console broke, or you lost a million hours on your favourite game?

Misery loves company so let's share!

I'll start with mine. Dreamcast, back in the days of PSO I had some hacker do a VMU Kill while I was playing PSO.

I lost all my game saves. Completed Skies of Arcadia gone, along many other hundreds of hours from other games . I literally cried.

Last edited:

Makariel

That was back in the NES days. I got further than ever before in Super Mario Bros, felt unstoppable at the time... then the TV died.

source.gif

source.gif

I've never finished SMB1

Every time The Dungeons didn't load on The Last Ninja on C64. It was the fourth level. Took ten minutes to load the first level and you had to go through a similar load time in between every level. Being a kid at the time, it took us a while to play through each stage. Only to have a bloody 'load error' message pop up and having to go through it all over again. The impact was lessened by getting to listen to the sublime music for each loader but, still. It was soul crushing.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have a recent one:

I bought my son the Pikachu-edition 2DS for his birthday last year. He cherished that thing, but let's just say he's still young and doesn't take the best care of his electronics. The kids have been rough with some of the other systems my wife and I have in the house, so it was a chance for him to be responsible, learn to take care of his belongings, etc

P4633_716-78242_01.jpg

Well, the thing lasted just over a year after many drops, but a few weeks ago it finally died. One of the hinges was beginning to crack so I guess it was a matter of time. The system would boot and then immediately power off. I tried opening it up and following online repair guides to no avail.

So I made him throw it out. He was beside himself, but it's part of growing up to take care of the things that get broken and to "lay them to rest". I reassured him that he was not in trouble, but it still needed to be done since it wasn't coming back. As a gamer, I was like "bruhhhh" inside.

I guess as a silver lining, he is good at saving his money. So, he did some household chores (in addition to the money he already saved) and bought himself a new one after a few weeks.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I was side to side to my old TV, with a glass of water, while my brother was playing Pikmin or something, and for some reason I dropped by accident some water and it was in the very spot that has open areas in the TV. It literally blow up.

Was a sad time because we got the TV just a little more than a year before that.

Hissing Sid

Brand new rubber keyed Speccy for Christmas.

Finished playing Knightlore for the night and as I was packing the thing away I pulled out the Kempston joystick adapter before powering down. Instant brick. Permanent flashing coloured squares made Sid a very sad little boy. Thanks for the shit hardware design Mr Sinclair and a very merry Xmas to you. Cunt.

Took it back to Comets on Boxing Day and played dumb. Luckily the staff really were dumb and just replaced it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Having the internal battery on my OG Pokémon Blue cart die and losing the 151 I'd collected. That was pretty sad.

J-Roderton

Had a kid steal my Gameboy Color and my copy of Donkey Kong from me in kindergarten. Got it back, but was without it for weeks.

GreyHorace

My save getting corrupted in Dragon's Dogma. I love the game but goddamn did that piss me off. Didn't play the game for a long while after that.

WindomURL

Not the worst, but it left a scar.

First run in Dark Souls, November 2011, pre-patch. Completely blind. Walking around in the depths, shield up, real tense, and with a pocket full of souls. Suddenly I'm falling, panic, a good chunk of damage, and basilisks everywhere. A cloud envelopes me. CURSED...YOU DIED

What the hell does it mean to be cursed, and why did I just die? I had more than half my health left.

Respawn at bonfire, and a message appears, explaining what being cursed means.

You've got to be kidding me. Fuck. This.

Needed a safe space. Promptly pulled the disc and replaced it with Skyrim.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I recall 2 JRP glitches that ruined games for me. In The original Secret of Mana my character/save got permanently confused. If I moved up on the game pad, the character moved down. Left was right, etc. The game was utterly unplayable and I had no backup. Flash forward 20 years or so and a similar thing happened to me in one of the Tales of games. ~40 hours in and the game was broken. Being a more modern game I could have gone back to a save from a day earlier, but what was the point. Game breaking bugs are the worst. Especially ones that are very rare.

Saber

Gold Member
It was a time when my brothers and I used to play Xbox360.

My brother's controller stop working. Mind you, the controller was like 3 months old. We went to the store because of the warranty, but the store said that we should sent to Microsoft customer service. We send it and one week later my controller stop working.

We already were hot headed because of how many batteries that trash consumes, but we would rather still persist with this for the sake of the money spent. So we sent my controller to the customer service.

1 week later, one of my brother game CD start cracking. Thank god it didn't break inside the Xbox. Also Left 4 Dead 2, my brother's favorite, stop working. Do you know how the fuck does these games cost here? It was bloody expansive, but my brother like the game too much to not buy another one.

Well one day, both controllers arived from the customer service. But the controllers weren't fixed, or substitute. They sent us back our broken controller, even on the warranty. My brother was so pissed that he sent an e-mail to the support saying that he would report them to the customer defense service and if this persist we would sue them. The guy from the e-mail customer service told us to re-sent the controllers.

One week later, they sent us 2 new controllers, although one of them had the wrong collor.

From that day foward my brothers and I swear to never ever buy Xbox related stuff.

Last edited:

Daymos

When I was set up on base in the miltary and they told me I couldn't have a TV in my room.. and thus couldn't play video games. I did buy a gameboy pocket and pokemon red, but honestly it really sucked compared to zelda ocarina of time and gran turismo..

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

My pokey man silver save getting corrupted and having to star over :messenger_sad_relieved: Also, PSO crashing on me after finding one of those really rare katanas.

That time when I played shadow of the beast for the first time - I knew Eastern studios were bad back in the days, but this game looked so great, I though that it couldn't be that bad 😭.

testsotbmains.jpg

I still bear the scars of this experience.

petran79

Banned
Playing Golden Axe on 8088 green monochrome monitor with friend, waiting 10 minutes for the screen to refresh Gilius thunder magic, same for the dragon fire magic, reaching Death Adder finally and then have the game freeze! Usually this happened 1/3 times. But we played for the journey mostly

Ff8 on psx. Got all the way to disc 2, memory card corrputed, lost all saves

Restarted.

All the way to disc 3, new memory card corrupted and my backup memory card corrputed. Lost all saves. Fuck this.

And nearly smashing the guitar from guitar hero live, in to tiny little pieces because that game was the biggest piece of shit I have ever played. Luckily I only paid £15 for it.

HotPocket69

Banned
For whatever reason, finding a copy of NES Kid Icarus to rent at my local Blockbuster was near impossible in the late 80s

So I settled on The Adventures of Dino Riki and subsequently ruined my gaming weekend

Stuart360

My Dad forcing me to play 'Another World'/Out of this World' on Megadrive for 3 days straight until i beat it. I hated the game early on, and despised gaming itself by the time i beat that fucking game. My Dad liked watching games, and i was brought up in a 'you do what we say' household lol.

Last edited:

stranno

Those werewolf QTE's in The Order and then realizing there was more than one
The end of The Order was the worst part, by far.

1. They dont explain a shit about Galahad's destiny.
2. Tesla: There you go this big-ass electric lightning-gun. Me: Oh! Great, let me ... END.

Last edited:
Well, this is both a best and worst. (Best because of the game itself.) When I played Demon's Souls at launch, I had poured about 100 hours into the game on my first run. I knew I was nearing the end and my console died. There was some issue with locked saves with FROM back then, but I don't remember the details at the moment. It was not transferable or something, again I don't remember all the details.

Anyway, long story short, I was forced to restart from the beginning when I got a new machine. Granted it didn't take nearly as long to progress having been so familiar with things, but that was really frustrating. And after having finished it after restarting, my suspicions were confirmed - I was literally right at the doorstep to the (almost) final boss Old King Allant on that first run that was ended due to hardware failure.

Ixion

I legitimately started feeling nauseous towards the end of FFXIII for how repetitive it was. And since it was by far my most anticipated game of all time, that was probably my most depressing gaming moment.

bajouras

Me and my friends doing a sleepover and trying to play Champions of Norrath form start to finish over night. Around 6am we decide to do a bathroom break. No saves were made that night.

zeorhymer

I loaned my Staturn and games, and his friend took the games. Never got it back and of course I dropped him like a bad habit.

Kupfer

A neighbor gave me his SNES with a bunch of games and two controllers for free. At that time I got my very first PS1 and was so hyped about it, that the SNES just collected dust. I gave it to another neighbor and then I sold my beloved PS1 and N64, because I heard about the Xbox and wanted to start saving money for it.
So there's young me, not having a console to play anymore. I died inside because of my stupidity and never sold or gave away a console no more.

Pimpbaa

I got off kinda easy it seems. I kinda got bullied a bit a local arcade. Also anytime I loaned anything to anyone it was never in the same shape when I got it back. My 3DO version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo got scratched to hell, my PS1 controllers wires were permanently twisted to hell and back, and a SNES controller I loaned to a "friend" came back as a different far more worn controller (that really pissed me off).

anonychus

Neo Member
I had a 4x memory card for my Gamecube that had almost all of my game saves on it (I had Timesplitters 2 on a separate card since each custom map took space). I'm an avid completionist and I had 100% files of games like Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, and Baten Kaitos. I then left home for two years and all my stuff was packed away. When I came back, then only thing missing out of all of my gaming boxes was that one memory card. I've searched high and low in every conceivable location for a decade, but it's just gone. So sad.

Also, congrats on the full membership OP.

The Snake

Power outage caused me to lose my progress in Majora's Mask; had just finished the Water dungeon. Haven't played it since.

Loaned my DS Lite + some games to a girlfriend. Huge mistake. Never saw those again.

I'm sure there's more.

Top Bottom