• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst game that has stolen 40+ hours of your life?

tommib

Horizon games. I try them for 3 hours but it feels like 40.

3 hours in Forbidden West are a full week in my dog years.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not the worst game but one of the best, kinda stole 40+ hours from me. Legend of Zelda a link to the past for SNES, would play a quarter, half or three quarters done but then not play for a while. Every time I went back I forgot where I was so I started over. I'm not even sure at this point I ever beat it. Which is saying a lot since it's one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:

Nukedisk

Neo Member
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer. About 120 hours.
No dedicated servers, lag compensation from hell, rampant amount of cheaters, Akimbo 1887 and Commando-perk to name a few things.
A clear downgrade from COD4 and I don't know why I spent so much time playing it online. The singleplayer campaign was good though.

Writing this reminded me of this old image
abXW9.png

Banjo64

cumsessed
Probably a FIFA or PES game, I can’t pick the worst one of the top of my head. Online component has no sense of fairness or competitiveness due to the heavy reliance on AI.

In terms of real games, not many hold my attention for 40 hours if they aren’t good. I’d probably have to say something like Halo 4 when it released, or Gears 4. Not ‘bad’ games by any stretch, but bad for their respective series (and still good enough for me to pump some hours in to).

I have stayed in there searching for fun in some really bad games but if we're talking about the 40+ club that's actually a rare set because it requires a special sort of deception. If a game is truly terrible I'll be out in 5 hours, if it seems like it could be as an action game, maybe 10hrs. With an RPG things usually move slower and plot might make up for it so maybe 20 before I drop it. However there is one clear winner there...

Starfield - 150 hours of frustration and wasted hope

The most deceptive bait-n-obfuscate game of all time. Very particular wording there because a bait-n-switch would make you quit faster. Starfield truly presents itself in such a way that you feel like it is about to open up just around the corner no matter how far you get. You think surely the story is just about to get better, the characters and relationships, the skill trees will become fun after this next barrier, the combat will open up once it allows these abilities and there will be new enemies, the ship battles and shipbuilding will become good, I'll find new things on planets, etc, etc. Just like, surely... SURELY NO ONE WOULD SPEND SO LONG DEVELOPING A LITERALLY ENDLESS PILE OF ABSOLUTE MEDIOCRITY THAT ISN'T EVEN FARMING THEM MICROTRANSACTIONS... and yet that is what they did.

And yet it isn't just mediocre. The GOOD PARTS are mediocre, the things you focus on. Yet all blended up with all the parts you focus on are five hundred trillion little obstacles of design. Everything is incomprehensibly designed to make you stumble over it in trying to do any action you might want to do. A part of your mind thinks, okay, surely this is also some sort of misunderstanding. No one would ever make something to truly shitty and failing at all the most basic things you do literally tens of thousands of times in a playthrough. It must just be unfamiliarity. Once I get more practice I'll see the sense in it, become accommodated to it, whatever. But that never happens. It really is true that everything gets in the way of itself. Nearly every single facet of the game is like a "nailed it" or "you had one job" meme.

This is the only game I have played for 150 hours where my opinion of the game went nowhere but down for the entire 150 hours. It has absolutely destroyed all respect I once had for Bethesda (dev studio not overall as a publisher) and seeing the departures from the company that I have seen do nothing but reinforce that. I hope that somehow in some completely unexpected miracle, the new oversight from Microsoft results in a big turnaround.

I agree. Starfield is very deceptive, you keep playing thinking some greatness could be around the corner but it never arrives. Some of the window dressing is very good (visuals/audio) which deceives you into thinking there's more there when it's not.

I didn't make it 40 hours into Starfield. I only lasted about 25. But that's pretty close. That would be my personal choice. There's not too many games that I will play for 40 hours and completely dislike.

This year, its a tie between FF16 and Starfield for me; neither are terrible games but both got so boring I couldn't finish them despite sinking a decent amount of hours into them. For FF16, it was because of the boring repetitive combat and complete lack of actual RPG elements. For Starfield, it was how overwhelmingly vast it was, without really any good reason to want to explore that since mineral harvesting isn't really my jam, side quests were boring, and the repeating procedurally generated areas really annoyed me. As bad as I wanted to play a bethesda game, I've actually considered playing Fallout 76 over Starfield at this point. Which is... a sad commentary...

Roberts

I had to look up True Achievements and True Trophies to see if I ever spent 40 hours on a game that I hated. Nope.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've been ignoring the thread because the concept is odd. I don't spend 40 hours in bad games.

But just for fun I looked at my Steam library, and I think my least favourite of all my 40+ hour games is Just Cause 3. I had a good enough time to spend 54 hours in it, but it's the most repetitive game of the lot. I don't recall finishing the story, I may have just played until I was finished.

These days I'm too sensible to spend that long on a game that's no fun, but this one ate up countless hours of my childhood.

I mean it is objectively shit. Buggy, broken, ugly, barely playable. You'd have to wait five minutes just for it to load. If you entered a screen at the wrong place, you'd fall to your death and then respawn in that same spot over and over until all your lives were gone.

And yet it was one of the biggest games of its day. Everybody played it but I never heard of anyone who actually finished it, or even got more than a fraction of the way through it without cheating. Kids today, complaining AC Valhalla was a waste of time - you have no idea.

7Ot9k5n.jpg

vUuiPf4.gif

Didn't it also have a bug that meant it was impossible to finish? I had an Atari 8-bit at the time, and it belatedly came out a couple of years later for it. Everybody was like, 'is this it?'. Seriously shitty game; great title screen music though-

Allandor

Why would you play something more than 1-2 hours if it was bad?
Well, because for the hope that it gets better

In my case it was Final fantasy xv. Man this games has nothing compelling. And I always hoped that it would get good at some point, but that point never came. Really don't know why done people still hype this title. It has nothing to do with FF has no plot or story to speak of, no likeable characters, no real magic system, ...

The other is C&C4. And that after the really good c&c3 ....
But that was much shorter, but I even regret to have paid 5€ (waited for a sale because of the bad reviews) for it... no game ever achieved that. I really wanted to like it, but I still don't get why they thought it would be a good idea to make a whole other game out of a c&c mainline entry.

Last edited:

emivita

Nier Automata

I finished the game a week ago and still have to metabolize Ending E. Still haven't started any new game because of it.

IAmRei

In the contr
Sometimes we see these negative Steam reviews with hundreds of hours spent playing a game. Those reviews are funny, but it got me thinking. Have you ever just kept playing a game you didn't like for 40+ hours because you felt like you had to finish it? The one that really sticks out to me is:

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 80 hours of my life. I just kept it playing it because I was determined to kill all the giant tortoises. The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots. Fortunately, Lost Odyssey came out fairly soon after and gave me my Gooch fix.
In the contrary, i like this game, spent lot of time with this. I never spent lot of time witj game i dont like tho

Mephisto40

Didn't it also have a bug that meant it was impossible to finish? I had an Atari 8-bit at the time, and it belatedly came out a couple of years later for it. Everybody was like, 'is this it?'. Seriously shitty game; great title screen music though-

If you visit the attic before collecting every item in the game it causes certain rooms to become inaccessible, effectively making it so you can't finish the game

Last edited:

Ogbert

RAGE 2

I line open world games and Rage 2 was meh because the empty open world but I always was exploring trying to find something new altought I knew the world was empty
Rage 2 was brilliant!

Absolute joy to play. Great gunplay. Great weapons.

NewYork214

1NXuNuh.jpg
This is since the 2.0 patch. Add another 70 hours for ps4 on launch. Definitely became my favorite game. Had the skyrim effect times a million for me

My most recent regret is AC Odyssey. Main game was dull, and the dlcs dreadful. 60 hours to finish all, and I was rushing.
I also bought all the content for Valhalla, but lord it instills fear on me.

And speaking about all time, social games clearly. You could argue that we had pretty much the best time in all our gaming life, but now that we are older and can barely have time to play anything, I look back and question myself if it was worth

Mephisto40

And speaking about all time, social games clearly. You could argue that we had pretty much the best time in all our gaming life, but now that we are older and can barely have time to play anything, I look back and question myself if it was worth
At least we aren't in the generation that spends 6 hours a day scrolling through tik tok videos, consider yourself lucky lol

At least we aren't in the generation that spends 6 hours a day scrolling through tik tok videos, consider yourself lucky lol
Yeah but that's mostly students. Some of us spend a lot of time in social media and forums. Me personally I only want to play games or watch a movie/series, and that's when I'm not tired from work/family.

And even then, committing to a game that has all this padding and filler, it just feels wrong. I understand that many people want to justify the price they paid in hours of "content", but I'm still on the thinking of "condense your experience, remove bullshit and make better dlcs if people want more"

Monokrom

Wasted 256h on this piece of crap. A trophy was bugged so I tried every possible way to get, with no luck...
No Platinum Trophy for me. :/

How-to-Survive-2-1024x576.jpg

boo

Gold Member
Hero Wars. The more I played the more it felt like I was being scammed, pushed by the game to spend money to speed up progress. Never again.

Top Bottom