• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst game that has stolen 40+ hours of your life?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sometimes we see these negative Steam reviews with hundreds of hours spent playing a game. Those reviews are funny, but it got me thinking. Have you ever just kept playing a game you didn't like for 40+ hours because you felt like you had to finish it? The one that really sticks out to me is:

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 80 hours of my life. I just kept it playing it because I was determined to kill all the giant tortoises. The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots. Fortunately, Lost Odyssey came out fairly soon after and gave me my Gooch fix.

I replayed Death Stranding's first 10 hours like 3 separate times across months before I finally stuck it out. Ended up enjoying my experience, but those first few times I just didn't get the fervor for it.

Also nominate Assassin's Creed Odyssey and AC: Valhalla. I put like 40+ hours into Odyssey and felt like it was such a chore but kept doing it until I saw the ending. I know I spent even more time with Valhalla and it really felt like that game was 2 times bigger than it needed to be and I got to conquering the last area and just gave up, didn't even finish the game but I know it's got to be at least 60+hours into Valhalla.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I replayed Death Stranding's first 10 hours like 3 separate times across months before I finally stuck it out. Ended up enjoying my experience, but those first few times I just didn't get the fervor for it.

Also nominate Assassin's Creed Odyssey and AC: Valhalla. I put like 40+ hours into Odyssey and felt like it was such a chore but kept doing it until I saw the ending. I know I spent even more time with Valhalla and it really felt like that game was 2 times bigger than it needed to be and I got to conquering the last area and just gave up, didn't even finish the game but I know it's got to be at least 60+hours into Valhalla.
There is something oddly satisfying about getting to the end of a game and just quitting because you've had enough. Maybe it's the freedom of just letting something go.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Star Ocean 3. A bad game from top to bottom, and yet, I spent a solid 50 or so hours on it out of stubbornness more than anything else.

The Witcher 3 is up there, too. While I didn't think it was a bad game, the underlying gameplay mechanics were mostly junk, and somehow a step back from both of the previous games. I even played through the first DLC, to add insult to injury. Never bothered with the second, even though it was supposed to be an improvement.

Why would you play something more than 1-2 hours if it was bad?
I don't think I've ever put that many hours into a game I wasn't enjoying.
Y'all are nuts. Even when I was young and made of free time I wouldn't play a game for more than a couple hours if it didn't click.
I don’t think I’ve ever played a game more than a few hours that I wasn’t enjoying.
I can't think of any because I seldom play something for that long, specially if it's bad.
Instead of thinking of a single player game, name a multiplayer game that you've sank 40 hours into and regretted it when it was all said and done.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Overwatch

I’ll one up you with League of Legends/DOTA.

Easily 1000-1500 hours in each.

Don’t get me wrong — the gameplay in these games is sublime; but the communities and how it actually plays out is some of the biggest time sinks you’ll have. Anyone you ask who is higher elo in these games and isn’t a pro tell you it just gets infinitely worse. Something about sunken lost fallacy I think.

I truly wasted so much time with these two games and refuse to install either again no matter how much the itch gets to me. There is no winning in these games. It’s an infinite well of addiction coupled with degeneration into the ultimate subhuman.

Sometimes we see these negative Steam reviews with hundreds of hours spent playing a game. Those reviews are funny, but it got me thinking. Have you ever just kept playing a game you didn't like for 40+ hours because you felt like you had to finish it? The one that really sticks out to me is:

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 80 hours of my life. I just kept it playing it because I was determined to kill all the giant tortoises. The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots. Fortunately, Lost Odyssey came out fairly soon after and gave me my Gooch fix.
Agree with this. I did the same with XII out of a loyalty towards FF. I was such an idiot.

Undermine. I completed that game. Don't know how many hours. But that 'type' of game always makes me feel like I wasted my time.

Final Fantasy XIII

tb5el73fjhz51.gif

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 40 hours of my life. I just kept it playing it because I was determined to kill all the giant tortoises. The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots(but Sazh is okay I guess). Fortunately, Lost Odyssey gave me my Gooch fix instead.
I fixed OP's post, because his words matched how I felt about FF13 nearly point for point(I also gave Lost Odyssey a shot after FF13).

Hudo

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

How fucking dare you. FF12 is the third-best FF and one of the top 10 JRPGs.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I fixed OP's post, because his words matched how I felt about FF13 nearly point for point(I also gave Lost Odyssey a shot after FF13).
haha, I was going to say the same thing. Everyone said "FF13 gets better after 20 hours". It did not. Having said that, I've revisited it since, and actually found it to be an okay game with a few frustrating mechanics.

haha, I was going to say the same thing. Everyone said "FF13 gets better after 20 hours". It did not. Having said that, I've revisited it since, and actually found it to be an okay game with a few frustrating mechanics.
Retroactively(Post FF13-2 and FF13-3) I can understand how you'd view it that way. In an alternate universe where FF13 had zero sequels, it might literally would have been the worst FF game of all time.

envyzeal

I’ll one up you with League of Legends/DOTA.

Easily 1000-1500 hours in each.

Don’t get me wrong — the gameplay in these games is sublime; but the communities and how it actually plays out is some of the biggest time sinks you’ll have. Anyone you ask who is higher elo in these games and isn’t a pro tell you it just gets infinitely worse. Something about sunken lost fallacy I think.

I truly wasted so much time with these two games and refuse to install either again no matter how much the itch gets to me. There is no winning in these games. It’s an infinite well of addiction coupled with degeneration into the ultimate subhuman.
Absolutely true
This should be a disclaimer
There is no winning in these games. It’s an infinite well of addiction coupled with degeneration into the ultimate subhuman.

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

You let a game with a shirtless guy and possible assless chaps steal 40 hours of your life?
fbbHyYT.gif

DeepSpace5D

Embarrassed to admit this one to y’all, but Maplestory. Wayyyyy more than 40 hours though…I will not even attempt to estimate it or the real world money I spent.

Don’t give me too much shit! I was much younger…and dumb.

Cute GIF by maplestory_tw

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
We've all done it. Just be honest and share.
Right. A lot of people suffer from the sunk cost mentality. I bought it, I played X hours, I need to play Y more to beat it.

I have no clue what the worst game that I put 40 hours into, but some of the worst 40 hours to beat a game for me was the last 40 of AC Valhalla. I wanted to be done but the game went on forever.

I feel similar to the OP with FFXII, but that was so long ago. X felt bad too. The stories in the post PS1 FF games tended to fall apart making all of the time you played to get to the end feel like a waste.

Skyward sword is another one. Most of the game was good, but the demand for chaining together many hits to open up the actual damaging blow when the fucking controls never wanted to cooperate was obnoxious. Yeah, I think that is it. Even the remaster which I played couldn't just make a button control scheme and instead had to emulate the shitty controls. Nintendo should have scrapped the controls and put out the game with TP style controls. It would have been serviceable, even if it was lacking in other areas.

Tsaki

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare. 100s of hours probably. God the multiplayer was cancer with the jetpack randomness, low TTK, fuck huge engine latency (if I remember correctly it was close to 150ms before even you take into account network lag, even higher than Black Ops 2's) and of course the introduction of pure Pay-to-Win lootboxes. Going from BO2's excellent ranked system and ultra-balanced weapons to this was such a letdown. The campaign was generic dogshit as well. And the zombies mode? Fucking LOL.
I even preordered it. Thankfully I was account sharing on PS3 with a close friend so it was $30 on launch day.

mYzI6DD.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

91fxwMUFKrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The combat was pretty fun but everything else about it was so bad, specially the story and characters, shit was like anime cringe turned up to 11.

Cashon

Banned
Elden Ring. I spent a total of around 65 hours in it before deciding that I was done with it. I had never played any of the other From Soft Souls games prior, so I was enjoying the game for what it was... For the first 40 hours or so. And then the game just kept going and going and I realized that I wasn't even halfway through.
But the gameplay didn't feel rewarding at all after a while. I didn't feel like I was finding anything worthwhile, the story wasn't interesting (or comprehensible), and, at times, it felt like I was playing a PS3 game or something.

It's not a bad game, but I generally don't spend too much time in games I don't really enjoy, so it's still the worst game I spent more than 40 hours playing.

Top Bottom